rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
TWICKERS HERE WE COME!

Latest: SARACENS 57:33 WASPS
Next SARACENS v EXETER CHIEFS
Sat 26th May 15.00, Twickenham (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport Saracens v Exeter Chiefs Aviva Premiership Final 26 May

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Paul Gustard to Harlequins
colinmiddx (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:06
According to the BBC Paul is being considered for the DoR role at Quins.

Re: Paul Gustard to Harlequins
tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:37
(Sm123)

AlanE (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:34
Yes - and the Quins supporters are welcoming the thought of his coming. Quite ironic really as Gussie was one of the architects of our defence which played the game 'not in the Quins way'.

But we should be happy as this has created so much joy:

'Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.'

...and how much more for thousands. (Sm100)

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 09:37 by AlanE.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:38
Ha! All the vitriol from some of the Hardlywin supporters about the way we used to play and they try to sign the architect of the defensive Wolfpack game plan! You have got to laugh!

Waldo (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:13
Would the RFU let Gussie go now - just before the world cup ?

Would Gussie even want to go just before the world cup ?

I can see the attraction for him and it makes sense - but not sure the timing is right .

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:02
Quote:
Waldo
Would the RFU let Gussie go now - just before the world cup ?
Would Gussie even want to go just before the world cup ?

I can see the attraction for him and it makes sense - but not sure the timing is right .

And the answer to this .....?
NO

The story says that Quins have aproached him - and why wouldn't they? And with all the pubic clamour and fans expectations, it makes complete sense for them to make that public.
But it does NOT say that Gussy is going - why would he? It would not be about money as he is on a good wedge with all sorts of benefits with the RFU - he nearly pulled himself to bits making the decision to leave us (promise) and the reason he did was to have a stab at helping to get a team ready for the World Cup and to have no regrets about what could have been. Gussy wont go to Quins - at least not now ........ I would be utterly flabbergasted if he did knowing his reasons for leaving us in the first place. I'm sure he knows he will be a DOR in the future, but there is unfinished business with England first. Besides - I would be less surprised if this had been a story about Tigers or us.

Madpole76 (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 20:36
Sky sports saying that he will take the role of head coach at Quins after the tour to South Africa .

McSaracens (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 20:40
Congratulations Paul!

You must wonder what has happened behind the scenes to jump ship 18 months before the RWC?

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

King Zak (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 21:16
If he does go, I hope the RFU recognise what a fantastic job Ali Hepher has done at Exeter, an ideal replace,met I’d say.

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

vunipolae (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 22:23
As long as they don't come after Sanderson, someone who employs the same defensive system as Gustard to great effect

Innings (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 23:14
Interesting that people complain that coaches are being fired too easily these days, but nobody seems to worry when coaches walk away from their contracts.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

GerryK (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 06:24
Good for Gussie, however it has the potential to create problems for us when we play Quins, after all he did invent the Wolfpack tactics

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 07:04
Quote:
Innings
Interesting that people complain that coaches are being fired too easily these days, but nobody seems to worry when coaches walk away from their contracts.

That is an exceptionally good point, how long did he have left with England? And was there a clause saying he could leave if a director of rugby or Head coach spot becomes available?

sarriehatter (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 07:50
It seems unsurprisingly that Eddie Jones is not the easiest man to work with. After the World Cup some National coaches will leave their countries and look for a DOR job in England. Perhaps Gustard is jumping ship to take up this opportunity before he has more competition for a vacancy.

RDB. (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 08:17
Quote:
vunipolae
As long as they don't come after Sanderson, someone who employs the same defensive system as Gustard to great effect, Aviva Premiership semi-finals excepted.

Fixed that for you.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 08:37
England had better keep their mitts of Alex!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net