rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Semi final team selection
McSaracens (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:10
From my point of view Sarries have a few interesting selections to make ahead of the semi-final on Saturday, namely....

Schalk or Jamie - Brits' form of late has been remarkable and for me would start ahead of Jamie at the weekend.

Kruis or Isiekwe - Given I suspect Sarries will look to get at the Wasps lineout I reckon Kruis will edge the selection, however on form Nick has been quite brilliant.

Backrow - Is Schalk Burger fit? Will Billy start? A very tricky selection.

Outside centre - Lozowski/Taylor/Bosch - I reckon it will be tried and trusted in Bosch and with Duncan playing such little rugby.

Wing - Liam had his arm in a sling at the weekend, will he be fit?

All in all I would like to see a pack of:

Mako
Brits
Koch
Itoje
Kruis
Rhodes
Wray
Billy

Bench - George, Barrington, Figallo, Isiekwe, Earl/Clarke (assuming no Burger)

Backs:

Wigglesworth
Farrell
Williams
Barritt
Bosch
Maitland
Goode

Bench: Spencer, Lozowski, Wyles

For any Wasps fans I assuming a fully fit squad will travel?

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Re: Semi final team selection
Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:22
I'd swap Brits for George, with Schalk coming off the bench for impact. Then Id swap Bosch out for either Loz or Taylor, we look far more dangerous with them on the field.

Read on Twitter that Liam has a shoulder injury and could be out for 6 weeks hopefully that source is incorrect and he is fine.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:00
I think Loz should start at 13. We look far far better when he's playing there.

Is Dunc fit? He went off against Irish and didn't feature v Glouc.

Jamie will start at 2.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 17:09
Loz and Schalla to start for me.

Jacques Burger (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 17:20
Loz, Isiekwe and Brits.

Loz gives us a bit more pace in the midfield, which I think we would need considering the backline of Wade and Le-Roux.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:43
I would have Taylor over loz personally. I just think his whole game is outstanding. Liz ain't a bad replacement though.

duchessmalfi (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 09:14
Agree re. Taylor. If fit he starts for me, think he's an absolutely class player.

Jacques Burger (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:22
Agreed - Taylor is a class player - I am just a bit worried that he hasn't had much game time.

Am also slightly worried about Billy. Undoubtedly a world class player, who would walk into any team, just wonder whether to risk him starting, or bring him off the bench, seeing as Jackson is in such a rich vein of form.

Good headache to have I guess!

nicsue (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:47
Is Bosch fit?

Rubz (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 12:14
Quote:
nicsue
Is Bosch fit?

According to most of Sarries' female fans, and a large number of the male fans, yes - very!

nicsue (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Rubz
Quote:
nicsue
Is Bosch fit?

According to most of Sarries' female fans, and a large number of the male fans, yes - very!
(Sm152)
Excellent answer

bargepole (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:15
Quote:

I believe we've got a decent squad to select from, and they will have had a two week break to recover from minor knocks.

Probable line-up:

Le Roux, Wade, de Jongh, Gopperth, Daly, Cipriani, Robson.

McIntyre, Taylor, Cooper-Wooley, Launchbury, Myall, Willis, Young, Thompson.

Subs: Cruse, Mullan, Moore, Rowlands, Haskell, Simpson, Lovobalavu, Bassett

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:15
Quote:
bargepole
Quote:

I believe we've got a decent squad to select from, and they will have had a two week break to recover from minor knocks.

Probable line-up:

Le Roux, Wade, de Jongh, Gopperth, Daly, Cipriani, Robson.

McIntyre, Taylor, Cooper-Wooley, Launchbury, Myall, Willis, Young, Thompson.

Subs: Cruse, Mullan, Moore, Rowlands, Haskell, Simpson, Lovobalavu, Bassett

mcntyre and taylor not very likely but Hughes is available

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 21:26
Quote:
Stumpy7780
I'd swap Brits for George, with Schalk coming off the bench for impact. Then Id swap Bosch out for either Loz or Taylor, we look far more dangerous with them on the field.
Read on Twitter that Liam has a shoulder injury and could be out for 6 weeks hopefully that source is incorrect and he is fine.

The 'source' on Liam's shoulder injury was actually his partner Sophie who replied to a friend's comment on her Instagram photo (showing Liam in a sling) saying that he had a 'slight tear in his labrum' - must have had scans & labrum tears can range from 3-6 weeks up to 3-6 months depending on severity so I would be pretty confident in saying we won't see him again this season.

Huxley (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 06:59
The guardian is reporting that Liam is touch and go to play, while Billy is good, as long as there is no further setbacks.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:00
We really need Billy for this one, especially if as seems likely, Nathan Hughes is available for Wasps.

viewfromthe22 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:48
Yes of course Billy has been a huge loss for most parts of the season but Jackson Wray wasn't voted player of the season for nothing. With Nathan Hughes potentially lacking match fitness i'd be perfectly happy with Wray @ 8

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 07:59
Saracens look like a different team with Lozowski at 13 and in recent months Spencer looks to have finally made his case to start over Wiggle. I think both selections would increase the chances of a Saracens win considerably but don't expect to see either. Also understand the logic in starting Jamie George but he's been off his best form for a long while now and I think I'd prefer 60 minutes of Brits rather than the other way round. Don't expect to see that change either though.

Feels like an exciting game. If both teams play at their best Saracens win as their best game will strangle Wasps game. Saracens by 8 or by 14 if they made the changes above!

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 08:28
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Saracens look like a different team with Lozowski at 13 and in recent months Spencer looks to have finally made his case to start over Wiggle.

I have thought the same, but only by watching televised matches, which gives a limited perspective of the game. I would find it interesting to have the opinion of supporters who regularly attend AP.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 08:43
I would always start wiggy first to play territory then bring Ben on for the last 30mins when the gaps appear as he is quicker.

Loz at 13 for me

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 10:25
To give the other side of SS's (welcome back by the way) three selections I'd offer the following opinions. With Duncan's issues, I've long advocated trying Loz at 13 where his reading of the game, pace, passing and kicking skills seem well suited. At the moment he is struggling at times defensively, both knowing when to rush and in making the angle of the tackle at outside centre - he's slipped/been bumped off a few. Doubtless this will improve with practice, but DT and MB both ahead at the moment for me. The slowing Bosch reads the game brilliantly and is almost as important defensively as Brad in my view.

Spencer has had many great moments this season and like everyone else I'm frustrated at how long it's taking him to become first choice. His pace (and place kicking) gives us an extra dimension. In my view he is still prone to lapses of concentration, making poor choices, or the occasional weak execution of a shill (usually passing). He needs more games like his outstanding effort at Welford Road if he is to oust Wiggy.

How we're going to miss Brits, but I'd still start the less eye catching JG (more consistent lineouts, better in the scrum, harder carrier) and leave Brits for when the game opens up a little. His desire to offload creates magic moments but his looser carrying in order to facilitate this has conceded many turnovers over the years. He's at his best in the less structured environment of the last 30 minutes I'd suggest.

But what great choices to have to make.

Huxley (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 11:10
I think Spencer's biggest problem is Wiggy isn't a great finisher if you're fighting for a result, much better if you need to shore up the structure and bring some control. Personally I think that Ben has been excellent this season, and would start for a lot of Prem clubs. I think next season we'll see Ben starting a lot more games.

Also, if he's going to be the best scrum half he can be, he's going to need to complain a lot more! At the moment he just moans like a normal player, not a scrum half.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:54
For what it's worth, didn't realise Billy was fit so I'll stick to the team I said in the preview (when it gets published)

1. M Vunipola
2. Jamie George
3. Juan Figallo
4. Maro Itoje
5. George Kruis
6. Mike Rhodes
7. Schalk Burger
8. Jackson Wray
9. Richard Wigglesworth
10.Owen Farrell
11.Chris Wyles
12.Brad Barritt
13.Alex Lozowski
14.Sean Maitland
15.Akex Goode

Replacements

16. Schalk Brits
17. Richard Barrington
18. Vincent Koch
19. Nick Isiekwe
20. Ben Earl
21. Ben Spencer
22. Marcelo Bosch
23. Duncan Taylor

Obviously if Billy is fit he plays and you probably move Jackson Wray to 7 and burger to the bench

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 14:21
I will go
1. Mako
2. Jamie
3. J. Figallo
4. Maro
5. George
6. Rhodes
7. Wray
8. Billy
9. Wiggy
10.Faz
11.Wyles(Williams if reports are true that he might play)
12. Brad
13. D Taylor (We need the best defender in the 13 channel especially against wasps that like to play wide)
14. Maitland
15. Goode
16. Scalla
17. Baz
18. Koch
19. Nick
20. Burger
21. Spencer
22. Loz
23. Wyles

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:31
Saras'man (Sm150)

Quote:
Convex Hull
I have thought the same, but only by watching televised matches, which gives a limited perspective of the game. I would find it interesting to have the opinion of supporters who regularly attend AP.

I saw him play against Saints at the Gardens and against Bath at Allianz Park and on both occasions it felt to me like him playing there could be a game-changer in the future.

Saracens normal 9/10/12/13 combo maybe lacks pace and as importantly the threat of it. Lozowski answers that in spades plus he brings a better distributing game than any of the other options at 13. He also defends well and whilst Bosch or Taylor might have the edge on him his pace can lend a significant advantage if the blitz is from 13.

I have been really impressed with the only reservation being having not seen him against tougher opposition. Right now though starting him at 13 outside Barritt and with Taylor able to cover both positions feels like a strong option.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:34
I'm just so glad to see a Mr Michael Rhodes there. One (of so many) of the best signings ever!

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:59
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
7. Schalk Burger

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Burger is out for the remaining games with a hamstring injury.

Suspect that would mean:
6. Rhodes
7. Wray
8. Vunipola

Chieftiff (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 23:29
Chatted to him after Glaws game and he said it was hamstring and he felt it was done "comprehensively" - scan was following day but I'd be amazed if he figured again until the new season

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 06:38
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
7. Schalk Burger

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Burger is out for the remaining games with a hamstring injury.

Suspect that would mean:
6. Rhodes
7. Wray
8. Vunipola

Ah that's a shame, but yes that would be the likelihood then, and probably Mr Ben Earl on the bench! Great opportunity for the young lad, after all Owen Farrell was only 19 when his chance came In the 2011 season and we all know how that ended up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net