rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Disrespect
sarriehatter (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 07:39
Is it only me that thinks the playing of “ Sweet Caroline “ two minutes before the end of the game is disrespectful to the opposition no matter who they are. By all means play it straight after the final whistle and rub the oppositions nose into the defeat but not before. I refuse to sing along to the song before the final whistle has gone out of respect to the opposition. Thoughts?

Re: Disrespect
Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 07:57
No I don't. I think its just another song to sing about how good it feels when we play well.
The game was won anyway when it was played. I respect Wasps very much and thought they played very well on the counter attack. This song is about how we are feeling having played very well. It's not played to rub it in in my opinion.

TOKS (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 08:07
Agree with WOW. It was about 40 seconds before the end of the game and was obviously activated in error as it was turned off straightaway. It re-commenced straight after the final whistle.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 08:14
No, I don't think it is disrespectful and I'm yet to meet any supporter of any club who cares.

whyisitnevereasy (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:42
Quote:
#wolfpack
No, I don't think it is disrespectful and I'm yet to meet any supporter of any club who cares.

Agreed......To be honest a lot of the wasp fans were singing along too. It must be said the wasps supporters played a major part in making Saturday such a great day. They were behind by quite a margin for most of the game. Their flags waved, their voices could be heard, and even after the final whistle they were gracious in defeat. I spoke to many after the game who said they had had a wonderful day. A credit to their team, a credit to the sport.

The ship may now enter harbour negative oilskins

colinmiddx (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 11:48
I'm sorry but we always play it before the end of the game. The only difference this time was it didn't start at a pause in play but during the game itself.
I have no problem celebrating a win as long as it is not derogatory to the opposition and Sweet Caroline is not that.

fisher (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:11
Memories of your Fat Lady singing before the end of a game against us a few years ago.

primavesi (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:53
Not disrespectful, but an unnecessary and tacky gimmick.

Play music during the breaks in play if you really want to, but not while the game is in progress in my opinion.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:20
Quote:
#wolfpack

Not met many Chiefs fans then.

Quote:
fisher
Memories of your Fat Lady singing before the end of a game against us a few years ago.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:24
Quote:
fatheralice
Quote:
#wolfpack

We haven't beaten Exeter at home for a couple of years now.

Seems like a long time to hold a grudge about something which is supposed to just be a bit of fun. You'd have thought most of them would have got over it by now.

Adey (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:10
Some people just like to be offended.

I don’t find Exeter mocking Indigenous Americans with that ridiculous chant offensive but it is annoying.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:01
What a dreadful thread on the eve (ish) of the Prem Final........

Chiefs (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:45
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
What a dreadful thread on the eve (ish) of the Prem Final........

I agree Fez, and there was no need for a lone Chiefs supporter to put his ten pence worth in. It was bound to get a response.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:51
You'd have to be going out of your way to look for a reason to be offended by a celebratory song - one which is used at sports stadia across the globe no less, and for various sports.

Innings (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:06
Well, I always join in. So I suppose I must be tacky and disrespectful.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

AP (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:14
It's usually only played in a break of play.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 05:11
I'd always assumed they play it for my daughter Caroline!!!!

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:38
I think it ended up in active play because music man thought “play in break in 77/78th min” and took the only break available (line out prep) even though it definitely wasn’t sufficient

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Waldo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 08:47
I honestly don't think many folks were upset about it - as has been said previously many Wasps supporters were joining in.

I would also regard it as probably an oversight rather than a disrespectful act.

Anyway - I wish they would play the end of Hey Jude - I can remember the lyrics to that !

Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, hey Jude

TimH (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:02
Exeter played if BEFORE the game on Saturday against Falcons... imagine that?!?! Horrifying.

PhillFez (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:45
Quote:
Fatheralice
I've met some very amenable Chief fans. I remember the first encounter at VR when they started singing the stupid "He's knocked it on chant" when I asked why they did so the answer was well Gloucester did it in the last game. I had to disabuse him. However, in the semi against the Falcons it was clearly sung with gusto from the stands, now that is disrespectful.

boomer! (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:43
Quote:
sarriehatter
Is it only me that thinks the playing of “ Sweet Caroline “ two minutes before the end of the game is disrespectful to the opposition no matter who they are. By all means play it straight after the final whistle and rub the oppositions nose into the defeat but not before. I refuse to sing along to the song before the final whistle has gone out of respect to the opposition. Thoughts?

Yes, it is only you, the SarrieHatter (sic) with 11 posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2018 11:50 by boomer!.

viewfromthe22 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:42
Coincidentally, the C5 highlights show started with the presenters on the pitch at Sandy Park. They commented that the music being played was..... sweet Caroline.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 05:33
Does it matter? Do people join in? Yes if you don't like it then just sit there in silence when it's played, it's not like it gets played during the game when a player is about to take a kick or if there is a serious Injury, so in essence, it's not disrespectful, other things that happen are however disrespectful, like the bloody Mexican wave!! But it hasn't really happened for a while to be fair,

Anyway as for the he knocked it on chant or the tomahawk chop, neither of those are disrespectful either so carry on! Makes for a better atmosphere

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net