rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Squad and Contracts 2018-19
Barty II (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 14:13
As with last year I've put the current squad list together, with all the latest new deals - this time including contract dates where known...

Obviously a focus on the Final this weekend but as players have already started to come and go its worth a look! Big year for contract renewals too...

Players Out
HK - Schalk Brits - Retired
TP - Kieran Longbottom - Western Force
LK - Mark Flanagan - Bedford Blues
LK - Danny Cutmore - Cornish Pirates
FL - Matt Hankin - Retired
FL - Blair Cowan - ex Loan
SH - Alex Gliksten - ??????
SH - Nic Stirzaker - ex Loan
WG - Nathan Earle - Harlequins
WG - Mike Ellery - England Sevens
WG - Chris Wyles - Retired

Players In
HK - Joe Gray - Harlequins/Northampton
HK - Tom Woolstencroft - London Irish
C - Viliami Hakalo - Nottingham
WG - Alex Lewington - London Irish
WG - David Strettle - Clermont Auvergne

Academy Promotions
TP - Billy Walker - Academy
LK - Nick Isiekwe - Academy
N8 - Ben Earl - Academy
FH - Max Malins - Academy
WG - Rotimi Segun - Academy
FB - Matt Gallagher - Academy

2018-19 Squad
Loosehead Prop
Mako Vunipola (4 Yr)
Richard Barrington (1 Yr)
Hayden Thompson-Stringer (1 Yr)
Ralph Adams-Hale (3 Yr)
Kapeli Pifileti (Contract Unknown)

Hooker
Jamie George (3 Yr)
Christopher Tolofua (1 Yr)
Joe Gray (1 Yr)
Scott Spurling (1 Yr)
Tom Woolstencroft (Contract Unknown)
Tadgh McElroy (Contract Unknown) - (D-R at Bedford)

Tighthead Prop
Juan Figallo (3 Yr)
Vincent Koch (4 Yr)
Titi Lamositele (1 Yr)
Billy Walker (Contract Unknown)
Sam Crean (Contract Unknown)

Lock
Maro Itoje (1 Yr)
George Kruis (3 Yr)
Nick Isiekwe (2 Yr)
Will Skelton (1 Yr)
Dominic Day (1 Yr)
Joel Kpoku (Contract Unknown)
John Kpoku (Contract Unknown)
Cameroon Boon (Contract Unknown)
Alfie Scopes (Contract Unknown)

Flanker
Schalk Burger (1 Yr)
Mike Rhodes (1 Yr)
Calum Clark (2 Yr)
Ben Earl (Contract Unknown)
Joel Conlon (Contract Unknown)
Jack Nay (Contract Unknown) - (D-R at Bedford)
Sean Refell (Contract Unknown)
Anthony Maka (Contract Unknown)

Number Eight
Billy Vunipola (4 Yr)
Jackson Wray (Contract Unknown)
Sione Vailanu (3 Yr)
Andy Christie (Contract Unknown)
Tobias Munday (Contract Unknown)

Scrum Half
Ben Spencer (2 Yr)
Richard Wigglesworth (1 Yr)
Henry Taylor (Contract Unknown)
Tom Whiteley (Contract Unknown)
Alex Gliksten (Contract Unknown)

Fly Half
Owen Farrell (4 Yr)
Alex Lozowski (2 Yr)
Max Malins (2 Yr)
Manu Vunipola (Contract Unknown)

Centre
Brad Barritt (2 Yr)
Marcelo Bosch (1 Yr)
Duncan Taylor (3 Yr)
Nick Tompkins (1 Yr)
Viliami Hakalo (Contract Unknown) {/i]
Tom Griffiths [i](Contract Unknown)

Dominic Morris (2 Yr)
Reuben Bird-Tulloch (Contract Unknown)
Charlie Watson (Contract Unknown)
Josh Hallett (Contract Unknown)

Wing
Sean Maitland (2 Yr)
Liam Williams (2 Yr)
Alex Lewington (Contract Unknown)
David Strettle (1 Yr)
Rotimi Segun (1 Yr)
Oli Morris (Contract Unknown)
Alastair Crossdale (Contract Unknown)

Full Back
Alex Goode (Contract Unknown)
Matt Gallagher (Contract Unknown)
Elliot Obatoyinbo (Contract Unknown)
Max Bliss (Contract Unknown)

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2018 13:10 by Barty II.

Re: Squad and Contracts 2018-19
Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 14:26
Always Interesting,

I expect Burger, Strettle, Bosch and possibly Wiggy may retire end of next year, Brad Barritt who knows he may also retire, as for the Props we need to get them re-Signed pretty damn Quick, hoping we can keep the Billy Vunipola (mako comes under the props), Kruis, Rhodes, Vainula, and Itoje, I'd like us to Keep Nick Tompkins also, Segun may depart along with Skelton and Day.. but you never know

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 17:49
On the surface we look light of 10s in international windows but I guess we have Alex Goode and Marcello Bosch

24 May, 2018 18:08
Quote:
Duncan96
On the surface we look light of 10s in international windows but I guess we have Alex Goode and Marcello Bosch
yeah agreed, need someone who isn't going to get International recognition... Because eventually Malins will get called up for England

Adey (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 18:17
Before Faz, Ford, Smith, Lozowski and also now Cipriani? I think Malins will be ok for a few years yet.

24 May, 2018 18:40
Ford isn't that good, Cipriani may or may not have s future with England, so that only leaves Lozowski and Farrell for the.next 5 years.. only takes a couple of Injuries and Malins may well get called upon...

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 18:52
Great work Barty, very clearly presented too.

I think both Earl and Refell are flankers(7) - Jack Nay played at 8 ahead of Ben I think, though I agree with your placing Nay as a Flanker(6) (/Lock for u20). Any idea when Junior Academy promotions will be announced?

ninjafez (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 22:48
That's a lot of contract renewals comming up...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

AP (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 23:59
There are several names there I'd like to see with longer contracts against their names, please.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 10:06
We had entered into negotiations with Mako and Billy earlier this year (with Billy saying he would take less cash to play less). Has nothing come of that?

Maro is an interesting one -- no doubt he could command any figure and there are lots of clubs that would break the bank to make it work with him. We have a lot of players we need to keep and have some very useful and very young second rows at the club. There may be a bit of opportunity cost analysis there.

(note - obviously I hope not and he realises he's onto a great thing with us, but there is no doubt what he wants other clubs will pay)

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 13:16
I think we might lose Billy and Mako next year. There was an article a few weeks ago that said Billy would consider a move to Aus after the world cup.

All things come to an end so lets enjoy tomorrow at HQ

CT (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 13:40
He also said he wants to stay here after the World Cup and maybe the rest of his career. There should be a decent amount of cap space with Brits and Wyles retiring this season and potentially a few more retiring next season, so I'd be surprised if any big names leave.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 14:10
Excellent Barty, thanks.

If we get an injury crisis at Full Back, we could always scrape the barrel and play the Lions Full Back there winking smiley

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Barty II (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 07:43
Edit No.1 of the first post - Brad Barritt to continue until at least 2020!

Barty II (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:54
Edit No.2 - Alex Gliksten off the list of leavers and back in the squad for now; was part of the list mentioned at the Big Bash, however is not mentioned as leaving in the club's communication on The Fish

JO'G (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 12:35
I understand from the Guardian that all of the coaching staff have extended for another 2 years

not least it makes Alex sanderson's compensation to the club from the RFU more

Barty II (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 15:37
Quote:
JO'G
I understand from the Guardian that all of the coaching staff have extended for another 2 years
not least it makes Alex sanderson's compensation to the club from the RFU more

Certainly believe Mark McCall's contract has gone from 2019 to 2021... can only assume the rest of the magnificent 7 are the same. Maybe I need a separate heading for the coaches then!

ninjafez (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 19:12
Thought Ali crossdale was a wing?

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Barty II (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 08:45
Quote:
ninjafez
Thought Ali crossdale was a wing?

Like many he's played all across the back 3. The Fish currently lists him as a full back, although his handful of appearances have been on the wing. Plenty of players in that list can play in more than one position of course

Barty II (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:22
Edit No.3 - and good news. Koch and Kruis extend their contracts to 2022 and 2021 respectively

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 22:48
A late night look at the Tigers' board led to a post where one of the resident muppets quoted Wiki(!) in order to have an unnecessary and incorrect dig at us. Checking the Fish (only marginally more reliable) the squad lists have been updated in a new "guess the logic behind the order" format. It seems that in addition to NI and BE we have promoted Max Malins, Rotemi Segun and Billy Walker from the Academy - congratulations to them all. Senior squad now numbers 43 if my reading is correct.

No sign of John Kpoku in the Academy list yet.

Barty II (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 10:30
Looks like at least the senior squad has been put in alphabetical order of 1st names. Wouldn't be my first logical thought but its something!

Will adjust the squad list if Billy Walker etc. remain in the senior squad in a couple of days (or if there's announcement) and watch out for an update to the academy

Barty II (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 08:30
Ok, if we believe what's on the fish squad page, the following have joined Ben Earl amd Nick Isiekwe in moving up to the senior squad:
Billy Walker
Max Malins
Rotimi Segun
Matt Gallagher

Also, Alex Gliksten's mugshot has completely disappeared so the earlier assumption that he was moving on may well be correct. Not 100% sure, but he had popped up in the spring playing for Ontario Arrows!

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 17:09
Alex Shaw has written an article here, interesting as always, on each club's Academy intake. Sadly his Sarries entry reads:

"Unfortunately, Saracens haven’t yet publicly announced their intake and are keeping it firmly under wraps until they do."

moo-moo (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 18:16
French media are reporting that Clermont are looking to sign Chris Tolofua. Speculative reporting at the moment.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 19:16
Quote:
moo-moo
French media are reporting that Clermont are looking to sign Chris Tolofua. Speculative reporting at the moment.

Maybe we're letting him go so we can sign up Brits (Sm100)

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 20:15
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Maybe we're letting him go so we can sign up Brits (Sm100)[/quote

The article implies that they’re looking at him for 2019 and he still feels he owes Sarries, us having stuck by him when he injured his neck.

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 11:01
Hi guys.
Over on the Bath boards, I'm trying to put together how each squad is looking; so full squads, academy, EQP status and pecking order - all that jazz.
If you could give me some feedback, I would like to get this as accurate as possible - so please point out any typos / human error I've made; obivous mistakes in the pecking order or "that guy plays tight head, not lose head" type things.
I will continue to edit all of this; and get it as accurate as I realistically can by season's kick-off.
Obviously, if you want to see what I've got for the other clubs, just visit the Bath board - it's currently a sticky thread (to keep the forum open for another fortnight)
Cheers; Aidan
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=605
ETA: I've managed to completely miss Rotimi Segun - I'll put him as 3rd chioce LW for balance; so I've got him in my edits for late August.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 14/07/2018 12:16 by Which Tyler.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 14:24
Reading WT's splendid post on the Bath site made me repeat to myself a couple of familiar questions.

First the perennial Who is our second choice at 12? Part of Brad's huge value to us imo is the lack of a like for like replacement. Do we go 10/12 Loz Faz, Faz Loz, or 12/13 Bosch Dunc, Bosch Loz, Dunc Loz? What about Nick Tompkins? Each option reduces our defensive strength (Malins, Faz, Loz by too much imo) but has its own positives. Probably a "horses for courses" strategy but it will be interesting to see what develops. I can't see Brad continuing to play so many consecutive games over the next couple of years and with Cello aging we'll need someone to step up.

The second is "Jackson Wray!". He was outstanding last year (and has been hugely valuable for many seasons). Where does he play if everyone is fit? He is a natural 6 imo but I'd not drop Rhodes, and MI NI amongst others are strong there. Billy is our best 8 (Vailanu full of promise too). Clark is a more natural 7, edging ahead of Burger in my view. Jackson is a fabulous bench option, covering all 3 positions but perhaps deserves to start, probably at 7, though would we miss a little at the breakdown? A better headache for the coaches than cover at 12!

What are your thoughts/favourite option?

Broken Record (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 12:04
I sincerely hope Nick Tompkins gets some game time this coming season - through no fault of his own he has stood still for 18 months and needs to be playing more. However for me, our current 2nd choice 12 (and 10 for that matter) is Loz. He is also IMO our 1st choice 13 and will be for year to come if he can get enough field time in that position. He's tough, resilient, quick and sees space with uncanny regularity. He tore Henry Slade to shreds in the cup final and whilst there may be some question marks over his defence in the wider channels, we all know what an impressive tackler he is.Defending at 13 is completely different from defending at 10 or 12, it comes with experience and field-time. Give him some time in that wider channel and I reckon he'll nail it. And then when it comes to attack, it's a mouth-watering prospect to have any combination of Williams, Goode, Lewington, Lozowski, Tompkins, Maitland or Taylor running into space. I certainly wouldn't fancy defending against that lot!

Innings (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 13:51
Behind a paywall, but today's Telegraph has an article about the problems facing the many players who have lost their contracts and are struggling to find anywhere to play in the coming season. Smaller squads mean fewer contracts. Among other things, they say that across the academies, only a quarter get to sign senior contracts.

It seems that the worst situation is for someone like Tom Heathcote, coming back from long-term injury but let go at the end of his contract. With three concussion events in three seasons, nobody wants to risk signing him. That's despite a medical sign-off that says he's OK to play.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Barty II (IP Logged)
02 August, 2018 07:48
Edit - the VUNIPOLAE

Barty II (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 14:42
Also we're still the only club yet to announce the intake for the senior academy. Only one I know of as an almost certain is Vunipola Jnr but also expecting the Pifileti brothers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 14:49 by Barty II.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 16:11
Just an addition to this ! I too had thought Alex Gliksten had moved on but I have seen photos of him in pre-season training with Saracens...so not too sure what’s going on there ?

Also, IMO Farrell is (& always will be) our first-choice 10 ! Please let’s not go down the Eddie Jones route & start playing him in the centres!!

Loz should start the season as first-choice 13 with the rock-solid Brad at 12 ! With the likes of a fully-fit Taylor, Nick Tompkins, Bosch & Tom Griffiths all pushing them hard it can only be a good thing ! Healthy competition etc ! Eventually when the inevitable happens & Brad retires, I think Loz & Tompkins could be our long-term 12/13 partnership !

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 20:36
Quote:
Sara'sman
What are your thoughts/favourite option?

Quote:
Sara'sman
Who is our second choice at 12?
Just seen this comment with the 7's fresh in mind and have to say that Griffiths looks like he would have great potential as Barritts understudy. Has the size and physicality to go direct which is something that both Lozo and Tompkins lack (although both are game) If Saracens are looking for a 12 to fill a similar role as Barrett Griffiths seems well positioned. I was slightly surprised, but delighted, that the club renewed SuperDuncs contract. With him, Bosch with a season to go and Lozo being played at 13 I hope that the likes of Griffiths and more so Tompkins get some proper game time this season.

Quote:
Sara'sman
"Jackson Wray!". ... Where does he play if everyone is fit?
We're yet to see what magic Saracens can weave on Clark but whilst he is very good at spoiling ball, lineout and occasional jackling I would still back Wray to have a greater impact as a starter. Only reservation might be that Clark is perhaps not an impact player from the bench whereas Wray certainly would be. Hopefully decent rotation and no injuries will mean decent runs for both.

Rubz (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 12:27
Quote:
SarrieSaint
...Only reservation might be that Clark is perhaps not an impact player...

Rob Hawkins might disagree...

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:01
One correction to this very useful post - I believe that Ben Earl should be classified as an openside flanker rather than No 8 - that's where he played at the tail-end of last season.

AlanE (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 17:19
Is it worth adding a little flag for Bedford loans (Nay and McElroy)? Notwithstanding that they can be called back if needed (I think).

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 17:20 by AlanE.

Barty II (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 08:10
Next update: Viliami Hakalo (as reported by the excellent #RugbySaracens on twitter). Not officially announced by the club (neither is our senior academy intake which is bugging me!) but he has been in the new kit photos. Tongan, primarily a centre but also plays on the wing and joins from Nottingham

p.s. the new bold update to the site has B**g**red up the formatting of my post!

Barty II (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 08:38
Good to see the bold text has gone....
I’ve got bored waiting for the club to announce the academy promotions & intake, so will just update the squad from what I see in the pictures from training, and as and when players make a start or feature regularly off the bench for the storm side. On that note I’ve added the following:
LP – Kapeli Pifileti
HK – Sam Crean
TP – Fakaosi Pifileti
LK – John Kpoku, Cam Boon
FL – Anthony Maka
C – Josh Hallett
FB – Max Bliss

JO'G (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 21:09
I just realised that we only have two Saffers playing for us this year now that Rhodes is EQ

This is a sad state of affairs; how can clubs take the pi$$ out of us when we don't have enough south Africans. We might be the lowest level of RSA players in the league now

Barty II (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 08:20
Well worth a look at Alex Shaw's work on Rugbypass as well. I'm sure you can make statistics say whatever you want them to, but the bare fact is there are more Saracens academy graduates around the Premiership squads than at any other club, and we also have the joint highest proportion of home-grown players (57.4%, same as Sale) within our own squad.

We do have the advantage of a concentrated rugby population in the area around the club and no local competition, but still commendable.

Of course it doesn't fit with the image of a high-wage south african mercenary team but oh well.

Barty II (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 12:19
Joe Gray now included - not put Judge in as he is a short term loan currently.

Think I'm missing a couple of academy forwards, particularly the props...

Barty II (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 13:12
Had the sense to buy a programme at the game yesterday, which means I could have a nose at the academy squad profiles and so have added:

Sam Crean (Prop/Hooker)
Alfie Scopes (Lock/Back Row)
Tobias Munday (Back row)
Charlie Watson (Centre)

Internationals / Premiership Cup around the corner, small chance we'll see some of the future stars in action...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net