rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SEVENS SQUAD -
1st SILVERWARE OF THE SEASON!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Next: Bedford Blues v Saracens Sat 18th Aug Goldington Rd,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Some thoughts on Exeter
Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 09:05
I had expected a much closer result, but except for the 1st 10 mins when Exeter retained the ball well (but didn't make much forward progress) and the 1st 5 mins of Schola's yellow card (when they scored the inevitable try), I thought they had surprisingly little to offer.

Like Sarries of 7/8 yrs ago, they were very one dimensional. Whereas our game plan revolved around the kick chase, theirs was stick it up your jumper and draw the penalties. Both tactics were initially successful in the Premiership but found wanting in Europe and before opponents found ways to counter the tactics.

I don't know whether Exeter had a Plan B or whether they were so wedded to Plan A that they didn't have the flexibility to change tactics during the game. To move on they need to do so and have the players to make it work. In Nowell, Woodburn, Slade and Simmonds they have the players to build on.

An Exeter defence + Wasps attack would be a cracking team!

Re: Some thoughts on Exeter
AP (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 09:09
Very much my thoughts too as I was watching. They are where we were in 2012 - 2014. If they can move on, then watch out the rest of club rugby!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Graeme D (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 10:02
Quote:
Maroon
An Exeter defence + Wasps attack would be a cracking team![/quote

you mean like Saracens ?

Chiefs (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 10:31
Chief in peace.

I have to say I saw it the same way if I am very honest, therefore I am not able to add anything except well done to Sarries

Steve Robo (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 11:04
We were trying to work out how long Chiefs have been in the Premiership and discovered it was 8 years. Regardless of yesterdays result, what they have achieved in results, table standings and as last years champions is phenominal.
Glad we won but can't help but admire Chiefs

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 11:20
Worth saying too what a cracking crowd it was at HQ yesterday. For the first time ever at a final I didn’t hear anyone saying anything unpleasant about the other team or it’s supporters; there were more Sarries shirts than I think I have seen before at a final; the Chiefs fans were immense, and I had a great chat with a Wasps fan all the way back to. Vauxhall on the train post match.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 11:25
I had a nice chat in a very crammed train back with a chiefs fan, a Wasps fan (wearing a Fez, obviously) and another Sarrie.

All four of us were agreed that Sarries were significantly more interesting to watch. That Wayne Barnes was generally on form (one biblical advantage aside), TMO being only used "in motion" so as to not disrupt the game was pleasant and that the sprinklers should have been turned on.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Zyder head (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 12:00
My only thoughts were that were no matter how well we (Exeter) played if all your big guns performed we wouldn't be able to match you and that was how it transpired to me.
We are an incredibly well coached side with honest endeavor and a lot of talent but when it comes to individual international quality match winners we don't have as many as you and probably our most important play maker didn't have his finest game (being polite).
Your defence nullified us and after that first ten minutes we didn't get enough quality front foot ball to hurt you.
We will come back and be stronger I have no doubt and the experience gained by Joe Simmonds especially will be very valuable.

Adey (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 12:58
Exeter have done fantastically well to get to where they are and the set up they’ve got is not only sustainable but profitable. But I’ve found their rugby boring. It’s ruthless and very effective (most of the time) but it’s not entertaining. Same us ours wasn’t a few years back. It’ll see you finish top of the tree over the course of a season but there’s not one competition where that counts.

They’ve got the talent to expand their style and they’ve brought some real prospects through the academy so I hope they will open up a bit.

Be interesting to see what Rob Baxter and his team do next season. I imagine he’s got a job for life there but has that game plan taken them as far as they can go? I.e. only beat a Sarries, Leinster or Racing when they’re not at full strength?

Zyder head (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 13:51
I imagine he’s got a job for life there but has that game plan taken them as far as they can go? I.e. only beat a Sarries, Leinster or Racing when they’re not at full strength?[/quote]

We have beaten Sarries at full strength but obviously not yesterday. We arguably could probably should have beaten Leinster this season but were handicapped by poor officiating in at least one match arguably both and they were at full strength in both games and probably gave them their hardest test in Europe until the final so we are not far off.
Don't judge us completely on that game yesterday

Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:43
Firstly Congratulations.
Fully deserved your victory yesterday and now I'm home in Devon I can reflect on the game.
First 10 minutes we did what I was hoping we would.
Imo it went wrong after young Joe missed the pen.
Personally I think(as do a few other Chiefs) we should have gone to the corner. After that it seemed to run away from us. We don't have a plan B as such as we have imposed our game on teams all season and its got results.
The two times we have been seen wanting were yesterday against you and against

Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:47
[quote Jehovas Sandals]Firstly Congratulations.
Fully deserved your victory yesterday and now I'm home in Devon I can reflect on the game.
First 10 minutes we did what I was hoping we would.
Imo it went wrong after young Joe missed the pen.
Personally I think(as do a few other Chiefs) we should have gone to the corner. After that it seemed to run away from us. We don't have a plan B as such as we have imposed our game on teams all season and its got results.
The two times we have been seen wanting were yesterday against you and against Lienster who also appeared to have 20 players on the pitch.
Anyhow, something for the coaches to work on, am still very proud of our boys and where we are but am looking to the future and the day we win these games against top quality sides.
Again. Well done......... see you next season.

Adey (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 15:47
[quote Zyder head]I imagine he’s got a job for life there but has that game plan taken them as far as they can go? I.e. only beat a Sarries, Leinster or Racing when they’re not at full strength?[/quote]

We have beaten Sarries at full strength but obviously not yesterday. We arguably could probably should have beaten Leinster this season but were handicapped by poor officiating in at least one match arguably both and they were at full strength in both games and probably gave them their hardest test in Europe until the final so we are not far off.
Don't judge us completely on that game yesterday[/quote]

When was the last time you beat our first choice team?

Playing anyone with our full strength first choice 23 available and fit is the biggest test for anyone in Europe.

Zyder head (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 21:06
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
Zyder head
I imagine he’s got a job for life there but has that game plan taken them as far as they can go? I.e. only beat a Sarries, Leinster or Racing when they’re not at full strength?

Playing anyone with our full strength first choice 23 available and fit is the biggest test for anyone in Europe.

Last seasons semi final.
You were coming off the back of a European Final it's true but it's not like we played you the day after and it your international players were available.
I don't have any problem with admitting that when you have all your international players available you are the team to beat BUT I do not like the ignorance of other supporters that cannot see (or choose not to) that we also have key players unavailable on international duty during the Six Nations and Autumn internationals maybe not as many but very significant in key positions none the less.
We all know the rules re the play offs at the beginning of the season and we all know that top teams will miss international players during the internationals so I wish people would stop banging on about both. It is what it is and it is because of the international breaks that give the teams that have players missing, the chance to win the premiership via the play offs to make it fair.
Summer well and look forward to renewing rivalry next season

AP (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 22:53
Exeter have made the finals for three years in a row, so they are no mean side. They need to kick on to the next stage. They will be in the mix again next season.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 00:57
Quote:
Zyder head
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
Zyder head
I imagine he’s got a job for life there but has that game plan taken them as far as they can go? I.e. only beat a Sarries, Leinster or Racing when they’re not at full strength?

Last seasons semi final.
You were coming off the back of a European Final it's true but it's not like we played you the day after and it your international players were available.
I don't have any problem with admitting that when you have all your international players available you are the team to beat BUT I do not like the ignorance of other supporters that cannot see (or choose not to) that we also have key players unavailable on international duty during the Six Nations and Autumn internationals maybe not as many but very significant in key positions none the less.
We all know the rules re the play offs at the beginning of the season and we all know that top teams will miss international players during the internationals so I wish people would stop banging on about both. It is what it is and it is because of the international breaks that give the teams that have players missing, the chance to win the premiership via the play offs to make it fair.
Summer well and look forward to renewing rivalry next season

Last seasons semi-final was not a full strength Saracens team. We missed Barritt as well as an early injuries to Ashton and Rhodes (both influential last year). This is in addition to being extremely tired from a European final so you cannot say we were full strength then...

McSaracens (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 06:30
I would have to echo the above. Exeter remind me of Saracens of 8/9 years ago. Efficient - yes, a winning team - yes, good to watch - no.

On Saturday the tactic of one out runners wasn’t able to have any meaningful impact. Baxter will know that if Exeter want to compete at the top table of Europe he need some the gameplan to evolve. If they continue as they are then of course they will continue to finish near the top of the premiership and make finals, bludgeoning the lesser teams. At the top table they need more to their game; at full strength I don’t think Exeter have beaten us in the past few years? At the semi finals last year the players were exhausted, IIRC they trained twice that week, one of which was a brief 60 minute captains run.

I hope Exeter can kick on. Potentially the transfer market presents them an opportunity.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 12:44
Quote:
McSaracens

I hope Exeter can kick on. Potentially the transfer market presents them an opportunity.

A bit worring perhaps that Exeter have no-one in the 23 for England U20's v Argentina?

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 15:59
I think Chiefs have been too quick to cast aside Steenson in favour of the boy wonder who is undoubtedly good but I thought his relative inexperience was exposed somewhat on Saturday.

AlanE (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 16:55
It took me back to when Owen played his first season, from November, and Sarries won the championship.

There were matches when he played but was protected in certain situations. The one I remember most clearly was the match against Wasps at Wembley when Serge Betsen was out to get him. Owen was kept well out of the firing line.

It was clearly a coaching matter of letting him do what he could do and shielding him where he couldn't while he developed. I hope Joe Simmonds gets the same consideration so he develops to be the best he can be, which looks considerable. Saturday seemed a step too far, but only at the moment.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

clalan (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 19:08
Hi all, and another well done from me.
We at Exeter take no notice of players being overlooked in the under 20s, many of our young players play in lower divisions so go under the radar.
The main aim for our team apart from winning is to stay profitable, we need to pay
our own way not having an owner, so we will not break the bank like Wasps or Bristol to bring in a fantastic ready made player.
So if we need a player we have to build one or spot great talent un-noticed in the forgotten lower leagues.

See you next season

GerryK (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:15
Quote:
clalan
Hi all, and another well done from me.
We at Exeter take no notice of players being overlooked in the under 20s, many of our young players play in lower divisions so go under the radar.
The main aim for our team apart from winning is to stay profitable, we need to pay
our own way not having an owner, so we will not break the bank like Wasps or Bristol to bring in a fantastic ready made player.
So if we need a player we have to build one or spot great talent un-noticed in the forgotten lower leagues.

See you next season

I think that in the main we follow a similar pattern, whilst I accept that we have brought in some seasoned professionals, the bulk of our squad have come through the academy system

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 08:51
I was particularly pleased with our discipline, which hadn't always been squeaky clean throughout the season. I did have the impression both before the game and during it that if we fronted up against this Exeter team and don't give away penalties there isn't a huge amount there to concern us.

After a number of years being beaten up against the big French teams (Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon) and then struggling in key games against the English equivalent (Northampton), we've learnt how to deal with a big physical team that wants to dominate the gain line.

Exeter a very good side and think they'll develop further, but if they want to take the next step - particularly in Europe - I think they'll need to have a think about how to add a bit of variety to their game. There are bigger and nastier teams out there than Exeter (us for example) and they'll need to find ways of beating them.

beshocked (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 11:51
Exeter lacking a bit of creativity and one cannot underestimate how influential Alex Goode was at unlocking the Exeter defence.

Exeter simply didn't have that same quality or experience at 15.

I thought the way to get to Exeter was to unsettle their lineout and even when Exeter won lineouts most of it was poor ball.

Of course the exception was Exeter's only try but aside from that - they barely threatened the Saracens line.

I also felt that tactically it would have been better to start the more experienced players like Steenson and Waldrom then bring the young guns off the bench.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:02
One stat that summed up the game for me when I watched it back on the telly, was, in the 39th minute of the first half, the territory stat came up and it was just 1% in the Sarries 22! Exe had seen plenty of the ball and were ahead on possession stats but just could make the yardage and couldn't/wouldn't change their style. My biggest worry before hand was that Baxter would have some surprises up his sleeve and vary the game from the off. I have no doubt Exe will be in the play-offs next year again as our two teams are so far ahead of the rest (except maybe Wasps who were hampered by injuries for large parts of the season).

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 18:05
We need to remember that we lost a number of finals before we "learnt" what it takes to win them.

The Exeter coaches, I believe, have the smarts to develop new ways of playing, just as we have done. It's the constant game of cat and mouse as people work out how to play against each other that makes the games so interesting to watch.

Remember what happened to us at Glos this season - Glos' coaches changed their tactics at halftime and went on to the win the game.

I, too, was surprised when Exeter went for points rather the corner for their second penalty; given their conversion rate in the 22 that did seem a rather conservative decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net