rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PROFESSEUR BARRITT'S FRENCH LESSON

Latest: SARACENS 29:10 LYON OU
Next: Saracens v Leicester Tigers Sat 27th Oct, 15.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Leicester Tigers, Sat 27th Oct 15.00 BT Sport 3

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Stephen Jones ...
maynas (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 09:16
...I think is getting worse. He fairly praises our win in the Sunday Times today but read his Premiership heroes by position. Will Skelton at 5 ? He’s hardly played. Dollman at 15 ahead of Goode and le Roux? Crazy. Vellacott at scrum half ? Jackson Wray a good choice though. A list like this should have the players who played the most game time for their clubs. Like Goode for us.

Re: Stephen Jones ...
Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 19:58
Surely that's his opinion rather than an official statistic

I mean for me Skelton is very unfortunate that he has 3 English International ahead of him in the pecking order because his carrying yesterday was very effective

Adey (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 18:29
No it wasn’t. He flopped over at the gain line everytime he got the ball. He had one man and less than 5 metres of daylight between him and the try line at one point and just hit the deck.

Add in that he looked more shattered after 5 minutes than Mako who had put in another epic shift.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 19:50
I disagree Adey, I think Skelton played really well on saturday, 10 carries in about 12 minutes and he kept getting over the gain line time and time again, our last try came from the offload he gave to brits which again got us over the gain line and stopped them from re organising. He is unlucky to have Maro, George and Nick ahead of him but he was awesome on saturday.

As for Stephen Jones, he lives in his own world sometimes

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 19:55
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
I disagree Adey, I think Skelton played really well on saturday, 10 carries in about 12 minutes and he kept getting over the gain line time and time again, our last try came from the offload he gave to brits which again got us over the gain line and stopped them from re organising. He is unlucky to have Maro, George and Nick ahead of him but he was awesome on saturday.
As for Stephen Jones, he lives in his own world sometimes

Completely agree he really looked the part. Carried well was quite obviously there to tie up Exe’s defence and he did that extremely well. He made a really positive contribution to the game for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2018 19:56 by Jim 55.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:01
Our group all thought that Skelton did exactly the right thing at exactly the right time which was to retain possession in their 22 and commit their defenders two or three men at a time.

That's without mentioning his offload to Schalla which led directly to Nathan Earle's final try five seconds later to seal the game.

In the limited time he had available we thought he performed admirably.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:03
Yep we all thought Will made a really positive contribution too

European champions 2016 & 2017

McSaracens (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:06
Skelton played well, made easy metres and tied in numerous Chiefs defenders. A very good performance.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 07:14
Skeleton had a good game... considering his long lay off he's come back well.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:33
Well we know Adey has his own opinions, and doesn't always agree with everyone on this forum... Which is absolutely fine as it's his own opinion and everyone is entitled to them

The only thing Skelton didn't do was score!

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 10:30
I am also surprised there is any criticism of Will - I thought he got himself involved, was busy and disciplined when he came on on Saturday. Impressive.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 13:15
I thought Skelton played well having watched the game again on the box last night. He draws in defenders and makes holes for others especially in their 22.

A great impact player off the bench.

nicsue (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 14:26
I don't think Will Skelton is the greatest rugby player ever, but I think he did exactly what was needed on Saturday.

AP (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 22:21
Quote:
nicsue
I don't think Will Skelton is the greatest rugby player ever, but I think he did exactly what was needed on Saturday.

Yes, and we have the coaches to make him better than that, plus he knows it.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 09:35 by AP.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:57
'Big Will' has an off-season in which to practice a controlled diet. If he manages that, he might be able to blossom.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Waldo (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 16:43
His Try Music really ought to be " Big Willie Style"

Adey (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 20:15
Quote:
AP
Quote:
nicsue

Yes, and we have the coaches to make him better than that, plus he knows it.

Thing is, he’s been here a while now and he was here the season before. He knows what the club is about and what is expected of him.

He just doesn’t work hard enough. A player of his size should be commiting a minimum of two defenders at every breakdown. He doesn’t. He goes down too easily. He’s surely got the same ball carrying capability as Billy and Mako. I’ve never seen it.

He also looked spent after being on for 5 minutes, last man to get back onside and into the attacking line every time. Mako was shot and just kept working and giving it everything.

It’ll be interesting to see how much game time Kopoku gets next year. If Kruis, Maro and Nick I are in/ around the England squad during the AIs and 6 nations (which they should be) then he could be another star in our production line of locks. Flanagan is gone and I just can’t see us getting 80 minutes out of Skelton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net