rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Re: England Team - good grief!
mike909 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 17:47
It's the sort of conservative pick of a man under pressure and will tell us little, especially as S.A. have a less experienced team starting. What was the point of taking players and not playing them on what is really the last chance pre RWC for experimentation? Surely this signals that we can virtually pick the AI squad now, who if they follow the direction of the current coaching team will likely have similar outcomes to recent ones?

mike909 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 17:47
It's the sort of conservative pick of a man under pressure and will tell us little, especially as S.A. have a less experienced team starting. What was the point of taking players and not playing them on what is really the last chance pre RWC for experimentation? Surely this signals that we can virtually pick the AI squad now, who if they follow the direction of the current coaching team will likely have similar outcomes to recent ones?

maynas (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 12:51
Has Loz managed any game time at all?

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 16:08
Nope.

Huxley (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 16:35
What was the point in taking 3 scrum halves? Ben got 14 minutes across 3 games, Robson none. Let’s say that Youngs and Care are injured for the World Cup, what happens then?

DoubleChampions (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 18:11
Quote:
Huxley
What was the point in taking 3 scrum halves? Ben got 14 minutes across 3 games, Robson none. Let’s say that Youngs and Care are injured for the World Cup, what happens then?

Not saying I agree with the below entirely - just some points:

Bonding with the team in an away environment.

Getting to know the feel of the coaching and the camp.

Learning the game plans on the training pitch.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 20:58
Anyone else notice that Schalk's scrum cap is currently playing for England (RL) at the Mile High Stadium?

Huxley (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 11:34
Quote:
DoubleChampions
Quote:
Huxley

Not saying I agree with the below entirely - just some points:

Bonding with the team in an away environment.

Getting to know the feel of the coaching and the camp.

Learning the game plans on the training pitch.

I get those points, but not one of those things shows if the players can cut it during the pressure of a test level match. Jones clearly doesn’t have trust in them, if he did we wouldn’t have seen Youngs still on the pitch, slowly walking to every breakdown, in the 70th minute of both the games at altitude.

primavesi (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 14:00
As usual almost no comments when England win, but hundreds after a loss.

Much better 80 minutes performance on Saturday. May played well again I thought, he has really made that position his now I think, while Brown did an admirable job out of position in Nowell´s absence.

The penalty count was much better, hopefully not just down to Mako and Billy not being there!

Farrell excellent in the 3rd test, by far his best match since becoming captain for me. Cipriani solid in difficult conditions. Not convinced one games means he is a better option than Ford.

Overall an enjoyable series. Lots of good rugby on show. Didn´t expect England to win series but good to at least have won a test, and should put the ridiculous sacking rumours to bed. Much for Eddie to ponder leading up to November though.

vap (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 16:32
Rose tinted glasses I fear. Maybe the reason there aren't too many comments after this victory is because everyone's watching football now, or maybe because of how poor SA were. As The Times points out today, their coach said afterwards, "We were terrible today, in my opinion,” and “Sad to say, we didn’t get up for this game."

As for "ridiculous sacking rumours",The RFU Chairman doesn't seem to imply that they are ridiculous when he says, "We have shown a lot of confidence in Eddie and we think he is still the man, but we will see where it goes to from here in terms of the next few months". Hardly a ringing endorsement.

John Tee (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 17:58
It was a crucial grinding win...
The mitigation against that is that the Boks played back up players an the weather played into the England forwards hands. In that regard, both Robshaw and Marler had decent games.
The scrum was stable and the lineout pretty good.
Youngs only had to kick for territory which was good enough.

More interested in the body language and I think Cipriani was not welcomed by some. Of course he was the junior partner but if Jones presides over a fragmented cliquey squad that is a massive reason why he should go.

So, we won on the day, didn't prove anything but our forwards are good when the weather is against team rugby and we can't all now say the garden is rosy.
Grateful for the win but......

I expect a thorough post mortem.

JO'G (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 11:17
some comments were made about Farrell's discussions with the referee and how much better they were

If you can't have a civil conversation with the man who taught you more about the game than anyone else in his career, then its difficult to see how he could be captain

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 07:29
Very important win.

I have no problem with Youngs playing all game in the final test. The final test was about winning and nothing else and Jones believed our best shot at winning was if Youngs played all 80 mins (and I agree with him for what its worth).

Agree with Primavesi above that nothing I saw (including the Hail Mary kick through which I think was more luck than judgement) convinced me Cipriani is a better 10 than Ford.

A word for Mike Brown, much maligned in this parish. I think he acquitted himself well all tour. We all know (and he probably does as well) that he isn't quick enough to be an international winger, but it isn't his fault he was selected there. He gave it his all in all 3 tests and I thought performed pretty well considering his substantial flaws.

John Tee (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 08:13
You have to see that opportunity though and you could also see Cipriani was looking for a good out along the line... He didn't have one so in a split second played a kick the corner....
It would not have mattered if it had gone dead, the alternative was a turn over if he'd taken the tackle or an intercept wide.
He chose the least risky option but it came off.
Critical spilt second decision making has been a hallmark since his England debut...
As Jones said, one chance and he might be good enough to take it. Having May poaching on that wing helped massively and Cips said not many other world wingers would have got on the end of it.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net