rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CHAMPIONS AGAIN!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

New hooker called up by SA
vap (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 12:35
Schalk called up for 2nd test.

That should make it intereating, especially in the front row. I bet Eddie didnt expect that one!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 12:35 by vap.

Re: New hooker called up by SA
londondoc (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 12:37
Young boy. Clearly looking to future! Hope he does well!’

vap (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 12:50
More likely I think is, "well Schalk, what is the best way to wind up Owen then?"

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 13:19
Heh heh heh heh heh. (Sm6)(Sm6)
As if England didnt have enough problems without Schalla's inside knowledge! But England aren't playing to a Saracens template and the lineout calls wont be the same (unlike when Eddie and Steve coached Japan!) - but he does know everyone's strengths and weaknesses.

Gonna be weird for him in a way though because he thinks the world of Borthers - and Jamie. And yes you're right he definitely knows how to push Owen's buttons. We will definitely see just how much Owen has learned to control his emotions on the pitch. I am guessing he will be a rather scary and dynamic impact sub - especially if he appears when the England boys are tired.

And now I'm quite torn about who I want to win!

Waldo (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 15:16
Conversely the Sarries England contingent know how to push his buttons !

Gonna be interesting !

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 15:45
Quote:
vap
Schalk called up for 2nd test.
That should make it intereating, especially in the front row. I bet Eddie didnt expect that one!!

I don't think anybody expected that one.

NOBODY EXPECTS

King Zak (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 16:04
Will this tempt him into one more year with the prospect of a World Cup place??

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 19:25
Quote:
King Zak
Will this tempt him into one more year with the prospect of a World Cup place??

We can but hope Chris.

kakshaks (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 12:48
If he ends up as a potential RWC squad member then I’m sure he will grab it with both hands. Sarries would allow him to play minimal game time to keep him ticking over to whatever Erasmus needs and I think only Sarries would do this. Any other club he went to would probably run him into the ground. Million Dollar question, would Sarries have him back at a price that works for both club and player.

AP (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 13:13
Don't let's get too carried away: it sounds from the press reports that he might get called up for the Third Test, if at all.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Waldo (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 17:05
Reported in The Times that he is keeping his options open as it is obviously a privilege to play for your country.

He has apparently potentially a place at both Oxford and Cambridge and is supposed to be starting his new Corporate Job in August.

However - without counting chickens - I would have to concur with Kakashaks that should he have an interest to carry on playing in some way to achieve more international recognition and Sarries were interested then they would probably be one of the only clubs to offer the necessary flexibility.

It also says that he met up with his Sarries mates in SA but didn't let on he had been called up !

Once it became common knowledge him and Jamie have traded texts about how weird it would be to play against each other as each knows the others strengths and weaknesses !

Waldo (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:05
Nice article in the Telegrph Master V Apprentice

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:31
Good article Waldo but ‘the battle’ wont now happen as Jamie has been drafted in to full back role for sarurdays gsme! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

vunipolae (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:43
You forget, fullback is Schalk's natural position so they'll be opposite each other

Waldo (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:59
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Good article Waldo but ‘the battle’ wont now happen as Jamie has been drafted in to full back role for sarurdays gsme! smiling smiley

Yes - silly me - it will be interesting to see how Mako goes at scrum half too .

Harbinger (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 09:30
Heard an interesting rumour this weekend from quite a good source ..

Apparently the SARFU want Schalk on board for the world cup next year. Only problem is he's retired.
So he's currently looking for a 1 year contract with a Premiership team to see him into the world cup and enable him to start his studies at the same time.

But its not Sarries.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 10:38
Interesting Harbinger.....

Interestingly I saw Schalk driving out of the training ground yesterday afternoon! Make of that what you will. Very odd he’s still hanging about.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 12:38
its not surprising at all, i imagine hes using the facilities to stay fit and ready for the start of the season if he finds a club that can accommodate him. you see this all the time in sport where players go back to training with old teams.

and who would want to refuse having him around even if its just for his positive attitude and smile around the place!!!!!!

Foxtrot Echo Zulu (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 13:08
If you haven't seen this, its an interesting read. Posted on the 29th June.

Schalk chats to Sport 24

dirtybertie (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 21:58
Quote:
Harbinger
Apparently the SARFU want Schalk on board for the world cup next year. Only problem is he's retired.
So he's currently looking for a 1 year contract with a Premiership team to see him into the world cup and enable him to start his studies at the same time.

But its not Sarries.

From what I have heard it’s between Quinn’s and Worcester

Harbinger (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 08:18
Quote:
dirtybertie
Quote:
Harbinger

But its not Sarries.

From what I have heard it’s between Quinn’s and Worcester

Yes, I heard Quins mentioned as well..

nedrichards (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 09:22
If it's a priority to stay in commute distance to London for his wife's work, then there aren't too many choices, and obviously for most clubs the salary cap/wages budget has already been spent. Good luck to him.

Waldo (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 09:58
Does it need to be a Premiership club ? Bedford , Ealing Trailfinders might work geographically.

Anyway - I'm sure we will find out soon

West Stand Quin (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 11:13
As a side note Joe Gray is supposedly on trial with a Sarries at the moment after being released by Quins at the end of last season

Harbinger (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 11:57
Quote:
Waldo
Does it need to be a Premiership club ? Bedford , Ealing Trailfinders might work geographically.
Anyway - I'm sure we will find out soon

£££'s - I'm sure he wont sell himself short!!

Waldo (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 13:56
But he would effectively have 2 jobs 1) His Investment Job 2 ) Rugby . I expect the Rugby wherever he goes will probably be part time - just enough to keep his hand in -might well suit a championship side and could be cost effective.

Harbinger (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 15:01
I would have thought the SARFU would want him playing top tier rugby

Waldo (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 15:33
there is that I guess

JO'G (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 17:10
Quote:
West Stand Quin
As a side note Joe Gray is supposedly on trial with a Sarries at the moment after being released by Quins at the end of last season

wasn't he the MC at the KitKat Club

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 20:35
He became British yesterday, surely that would have a bearing on him playing for South Africa??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net