rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PUTTING THE GLOSS ON

Latest: SARACENS 38 : 15 GLOUCESTER RUGBY
Next: Saracens v Bath Rugby Sat 29th Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Bath Rugby, Sat 29th Sept BT Sport 1 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

John Lacey
King Zak (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 19:11
Just seen his try assist for the All Blacks yesterday - unbelievable!!!!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Re: John Lacey
The Bard (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 20:33
He should have yellow carded himself!

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 11:29
Lacey is a very poor referee. Time and again he demonstrates that he lacks three of the most important attributes required to officiate: accuracy, consistency and empathy. He doesn't lack confidence! But imo on this occasion he was neither at fault in his positioning nor in his awarding of the try.

A referee has to stand somewhere! His positioning at and after the scrum was no different to that taken by any other referee occasionally. Increasingly players are targeting the area around the referee for their running lines. Quite rightly anyone deliberately making contact with the referee is dealt with severely. The laws are very clear that if he is touched by the ball he must halt play. He didn't touch the ball.

I've read several people suggesting that he should invoke the "not explicitly covered in the laws" clause and award a new scrum. I'd suggest this would be a dangerous route to take. In my view the French SH was left to cover two opponents and it is for him (as with all players) to avoid the referee. I'd hope no referee would invoke the above law for this incident; to do so would open our game to an avalanche of players seeking similar claims of obstruction when outnumbered. Far better to leave it as the players' responsibility to avoid the referee.

He could however have shown empathy and punished the forward pass - something NZ get away with far too often, in part (as with their thugby) due to the speed at which they play the game.

Worth looking down this link - for the cockwomble sign in the crowd. Talking of which anyone else amused by the "over to the Wally with the brolly" link in Sky's introduction to England's game?

Innings (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 12:17
And, did I see a large sign with the one word Cockwomble? Please to see Sarries supporters in the 3rd test crowd doing their bit to ensure Owen's kicks went over.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

JO'G (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 13:16
the waving arms were in the second test too

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 08:23
I like Jonny Lacey.

Mostly because after the Clermont game at AzP several years ago he came into Mill Hill rugby club for a beer with the fans.

I was chuntering away in the corner about a decision he made during the game, and one of our group mentioned this to him so up he marched beer in hand and explained to me why he made that decision and why he believed it to be a right one.

I was very impressed he would bother at all.

Maybe it is an Irish ref thing because I seem to remember George Clancy and his touch judges doing the same at Clermont away the same season.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 14:56
Wolfpack I think most European refs come for a drink k with their officials, Nigel Owens and his crew came In to a bar in Belgium after the Racing game, had a good old sing song and watching match of the day, top bloke!

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:16
Here's hoping Graham Hughes comes for a drink with us at some point....

Rupes (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 21:54
It was indeed Clermont when George Clancy joined us - top man and more than happy to chat away for hours.

If we're on European Ref Watch, I was on the tram to the stadium in Bordeaux to watch Racing vs Munster in April (Euro semi final). Two stops before the stadium, on get Messers Barnes, Doyle, Carley and Pearce. Suffice to say that Mr Barnes was more than proficient in talking to the French rugby fans in their native tongue, whereas Mr Carley maybe needs another lesson or two before he could be classed as bi-lingual.

Re John Lacey, he did ok up until the point he got in the way. After that, he went to pot. I guess the confidence of a referee is affected by something like that, just as a player who is having a mare will be.

King Zak (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 17:18
Saras’man, have to disageee. You’re quite correct about teams using the referee as a ‘blocker’ and that’s something they do need to try and clamp down on. In this incident, Lacey clearly gets in the way of a tackler; that should be a scrum. You’re also correct to identify the potential for defending teams to abuse that aspect as well and would require careful officiating. I haven’t found one referee who thinks Lacey got it right. Shame, because I actually thiought he’d improved quite a bit this season!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 13:24
Quote:
King Zak
Saras’man, have to disageee. You’re quite correct about teams using the referee as a ‘blocker’ and that’s something they do need to try and clamp down on. In this incident, Lacey clearly gets in the way of a tackler; that should be a scrum. You’re also correct to identify the potential for defending teams to abuse that aspect as well and would require careful officiating. I haven’t found one referee who thinks Lacey got it right. Shame, because I actually thiought he’d improved quite a bit this season!

Oh, I have found quite a few kiwi refs who think he did get it right!

The laws cover the ref getting in the way of the ball, but not a player.

In the event of the ABs losing a World Cup match in similar circumstances, the laws will be changed; otherwise, whistle!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

King Zak (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 15:05
TT - so true!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net