rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Joe Gray
McSaracens (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 11:53
Does anyone have any idea whether Joe Gray is being made a permanent addition to the squad? I know he’s been on trial for the last 4/5 weeks, IMO a good addition given the loss of Brits and with Jamie and potentially Tolofua away at international periods.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Re: Joe Gray
Rocker (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 12:30
You're welcome to him. He used to be very good at line out, and not too shabby in the loose and the scrum, but he had a long time off for injury and wasn't at all the same player when he came back sorry to say. Otherwise I suspect we (Quins) wouldn't have let him go.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 18:35
Tbh I'd agree with Rockers assessment of him and am uncertain why the club has gone for him. Feels like another Dom Day signing.

JO'G (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 19:09
there is a train of thought that Quins were a bit rubbish last season because of two groups of players who didn't get on with each other. One of the things Quins did (I hear) was to push out players from the smaller group

he would have been cheaper as a result and may well not have played in the last season to his potential. I didn't think Dom Day did a bad job last year - he was injured a the beginning when he was needed and by the time he had recovered the cavalry was also available

AB (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 21:15
I agree I think the remark about Dom Day was most uncalled for

TimH (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 13:05
It's worth noting (again), that our track record for picking up players who may be regarded as also-rans and cultivating them into members of trophy winning squads is pretty top notch.

I would point to Jim and Petrus in particular, and even go back to Chris Wyles - all players who barely raised an eyebrow when they rocked up.

I am biased, obviously, but there seems to be underrated value in our coaches spotting players who - how can I put this diplomatically - would perform better, if coached better?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 13:20
Cant say I am too upset to see him leave us (Quins), not really been that great for a while. I will say that I put him in the category of player that might benefit from a change of scene rather than just no being very good. Would not surprise me if he done ok for you. Sometimes players just go stale and need something new.

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:41
I agree with the comments above, I remember watching Joe play a few years ago and thinking "really good player" but he doesn't seem to have had game time since his injury.

We didn't succeed with Lindsay; let's hope we're more successful with Joe. I say that but I'm not sure why we need another hooker unless it's an experience safety net...

Roger G (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:04
Quote:
David@Sarries
I agree with the comments above, I remember watching Joe play a few years ago and thinking "really good player" but he doesn't seem to have had game time since his injury.
We didn't succeed with Lindsay; let's hope we're more successful with Joe. I say that but I'm not sure why we need another hooker unless it's an experience safety net...

McElroy is off on a season long loan to Bedford Blues so I suspect it is, as you say, an experience safety net with Jamie and Tolofua likely to be away much of the time,

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 13:37
its announced today hes signed for saints on a temp contract

higgy365 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 16:46
Here’s hoping he has memorised all your line out plays and calls 😉

Roger G (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 08:53
Quote:
higgy365
Here’s hoping he has memorised all your line out plays and calls 😉

Or our very intelligent coaches have made sure he thinks he's done that. Looking forward to more games against Saints like last season's. (Sm139)

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 09:36
Contract is very short term. Only until October apparently to cover injuries!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net