rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Bristol bears
Mac L (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 22:08
Not a bad result for their first game back in the Premiership. Did they deserve the win or did Bath make too many errors and lacked the determination to win. I think Bristol deserved to win, a gutsy performance.

Re: Bristol bears
Squawker2 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 22:32
As always with this, the cowardly response "Both".

I think Bath at least should have eked out a draw - not picking up that latter try was particularly poor

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

AP (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 23:36
A team with its game head on would have taken Bristol apart. Bath have a lot of work to do still. Bristol need to hope that Worcester are in a worse state than they are.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 23:53
Indeed.

It was great to see the stadium full - hopefully that game will help get a few more bums (and a few more paying bums, since I imagine a significant number today were given away) on their seats.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 03:16
Quote:
Squawker2
Indeed.
It was great to see the stadium full - hopefully that game will help get a few more bums (and a few more paying bums, since I imagine a significant number today were given away) on their seats.
Couldn't be more wrong, none were given away and the cheapest were around £30.

No gimmicks required unlike in some other parts. See you at AP very soon!

Roger G (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 07:54
IMHO that was a crowd to be proud of. Not sure how negative/snidey comments in either direction help.

Innings (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 09:13
Squawker2 said he was imagining that the seats were given away, and his imagination has often proven to be very imaginative, there is no need to take his musings at anything other than what he says they are, imaginings.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

AP (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 10:18
I went to Bristol's game against us two years ago - Friday 30 September 2016,and enjoyed Ashton Gate very much (and the 39 - 0 result). The attendance was 11,592 which seemed impressive then. It would be an assumption made by many that free or discounted tickets were on offer for last night's capacity crowd, which was more than twice as large.

A quick search indeed shows that last season Bristol were regularly offering Bristol City season ticket holders free tickets to Bears games when City were playing away. The current Bears / City season ticket offerings also include £10 mates rates and one free ticket for the other code (plus 10% discount at concourse food and drinks outlets!)

I've no idea to what extent (if at all) there was any significant number of cheap / free seats made available last night - it's still very encouraging that the ground was full, and a credit to the work of the Bristol clubs over the last two years to build such a supporter base.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 10:55
Quote:
Innings
Squawker2 said he was imagining that the seats were given away, and his imagination has often proven to be very imaginative, there is no need to take his musings at anything other than what he says they are, imaginings.

I wasn't aware my imaginings are generally particularly vivid - perhaps I should pursue a different career if my skills lie so.

Nor for that matter, was it a snide comment - instead merely placed off the fact that we have seen this as something that other teams returning to AP (now GP) have had to do. If it wasn't then I both apologise for the factual inaccuracy and even more kudos to Bears - must put them in a reasonable revenue position

Assume Good Faith is usually good practice for internet forums - it would be nice to see it practiced.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 10:57
Yes I went there two years ago too,its a great ground and the sports bar is a terrific facility!
Bristol v Bath is a massive game so not surprrised by attendance!
Season tickets are very reasonably priced also! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 11:09
Kudos to Bristol for getting such a good crowd in to watch the match, however they ended up there. Spreading the word is all important as well as cash in the bank.

I think the glasshouses/stones principle should apply here; we play Briz next week at AzP. Let's just wait and see how many gaps there are in the seating first eh?

Peter D (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 11:48
Bristol City season ticket holders are indeed offered free tickets - for two games a season - as are Bristol Rugby season ticket holders to two City games. There were no free tickets offered for the Bath game. The difference this season is the optimism engendered by Pat Lam and a perception that the squad is (much) stronger this year than it was two years ago. The fact that the opponents were Bath is a not insignificant factor. Had this derby not been the first game of season I doubt there would have been quite the same enthusiasm generated. Unusually for Bris there was some decent marketing done. Unless our season falls apart I would expect an average season gate of 16 000 - 20 000.

Good luck for the season (although I hope we prove to be more challenging opponents next week than some of you seem to expect).

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 12:37
I too was there two years ago, and enjoyed the company though not the leg room! Briz thoroughly deserved their win, the Lam style is attractive to this neutral though perhaps a little risky, Pests Mk2 maybe? Bath's lack of precision (not just Homer) cost them dearly.

On a related note, and considering all the flack we got (get) for ticket prices at our "Specials" (how ironic that they're either too cheap or too expensive when at AP) I found amusement in Tigers' initiative - introduce a friend who then purchases a season ticket for this year and you'll get 50% off next year's ticket, two friends and it's 100% - free! Whilst enjoying a certain amount of schadenfreude wrt the flack dished out and their boasting re their fan base, it is nonetheless sad to see a giant of the Premiership showing signs that they too are struggling to keep up their impressive numbers.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 17:48
I was delighted to see the turn out at Ashton Gate (does he know there's a stadium named after him?) Bristol fully earned that win with a resilience I didn't think they'd hold. Bath of course need to ask some hard questions after that performance. We are booked up in Bristol for our fixture in April I think

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 16:41
Quote:
Squawker2
Indeed.

Actually no. 500 tickets given to local clubs/players families and that is all. #Facts

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 16:47
Quote:
AP
A team with its game head on would have taken Bristol apart. Bath have a lot of work to do still. Bristol need to hope that Worcester are in a worse state than they are.

Ah the arrogance of having had successful years. Remember 10 years ago people would have laughed at the idea of Sarries being any more than mediocre. Having lived in St. Albans for 10 years and watching them from 2004 to 2010 (was too busy after that), there were some dark days.

Bristol may not set it alight this year, or next for that matter, but they'll be okay. Mediocre some might say.

Oh and by the end of the game Bris had had more territory, more possession, missed less tackles and had to make kess tackles, made more metres and had more carries. Perhaps it was more than just Bath being poor? Maybe put the other eye in.

Finally, Saracens should win comfortably this weekend and Bris may drop a few to protect them as they don't have the squad you have. But I don't think Saturday has any baring for Bris on the rest of the season.

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 16:49
Quote:
AP
I went to Bristol's game against us two years ago - Friday 30 September 2016,and enjoyed Ashton Gate very much (and the 39 - 0 result). The attendance was 11,592 which seemed impressive then. It would be an assumption made by many that free or discounted tickets were on offer for last night's capacity crowd, which was more than twice as large.
A quick search indeed shows that last season Bristol were regularly offering Bristol City season ticket holders free tickets to Bears games when City were playing away. The current Bears / City season ticket offerings also include £10 mates rates and one free ticket for the other code (plus 10% discount at concourse food and drinks outlets!)

I've no idea to what extent (if at all) there was any significant number of cheap / free seats made available last night - it's still very encouraging that the ground was full, and a credit to the work of the Bristol clubs over the last two years to build such a supporter base.

#Facts - 2 tickets per year to Soccer season ticket holders for a game the club chooses (usually lower attended ones). Reciprocated for the rugby season ticket holders and the football. Cheapest ticket was £30.

Adey (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 16:58
Both fair points from AP and Sit Down. Many on this board remember the good ‘ol days when we never knew what to expect on a match day. There’s still the eagle eyed on here who still post in celebration when we’re safe from relegation (although now that’s about January time.)

Bristol don’t have to set the world alight this season. They just have to do better than Worcester. There’s been a lot of praise for what Pat Lam is doing there, making big changes in the club as a whole. Where have we seen that before? And did it work?

AP (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 18:10
Sit Down, I began supporting Saracens a couple of years before you did, and I certainly don't think there are clubs which have any kind of a right to superiority. I'd love Bristol Bears to stay back in the Premiership. They probably have the best chance of doing that of any club that's been promoted, ignoring Exeter of course. But it will be a hard task, just as London Irish's opening victory over Quins last year wasn't an accurate indication of how things would turn out.

I don't disagree with this from the Guardian:

"While Bath were disappointing, the occasion was first class and the appetite for big-time rugby in Bristol has been gloriously refreshed. If Stephen Luatua, George Smith, Ian Madigan and Luke Morahan can sustain their opening-night form the Bears will not just be good to watch but will ask questions of most visitors to Ashton Gate. Bath, surely, will not be as sluggish in this weekend’s clash with another rising West Country force, Gloucester. One early setback does not automatically define a season but they will have to sharpen up considerably, not least at half-back, to avoid another chastening derby experience."

And this from The Times:

"It looked as though Bath would put Bristol quickly to the sword but the away side will look back at this game with huge regret at the opportunities they missed: not only two straight penalties but a gimme of a try. Bath were pumped with early–season inaccuracy, which was the best kick-start Bristol could have hoped for."

I don't think there was anything one-eyed about my comments.

On the capacity crowd, as I said before, filling Ashton Gate is marvellous, whatever basis the tickets were available on.

Bristol Bears will be welcome visitors to AzP on Saturday, and I'm certainly not expecting the match to be a walkover.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 14:24
As a Bristol supporter I came onto this site in the expectation I would see some informed and intelligent speculation regarding your likely team selection, whether you expected some of your squad players to be given an opportunity, how you thought you would counter the style that Pat Lam is developing for our team.

Needless to say I was disappointed.

Barty II (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 14:41
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
As a Bristol supporter I came onto this site in the expectation I would see some informed and intelligent speculation regarding your likely team selection, whether you expected some of your squad players to be given an opportunity, how you thought you would counter the style that Pat Lam is developing for our team.

Don't worry, there's some of us just as disappointed with ourselves about the level of griping and cheap shots going on...

Sadly though I have nothing remotely intelligent to offer having not watched the highlights of your game yet. But if you show the fight & spirit you showed last time at Allianz Park (when relegation was already certain and there was "nothing" to play for, you could make us look a bit silly.

AP (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 19:33
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

Probably tonight / tomorrow morning. I'd not expect many changes from last Sunday's team, nor the style of play. Generally, we love it when the opposition runs the ball at us as it creates space for the counterattack.

Should be a good game.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 19:37
The ES earlier in the week did state that Billy V and George Kruis were available this week. If that is the case I can see both of them in the 23 at the least.

AP (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 20:41
Plus Ben Spencer restored to starting.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 22:53
Tight head is where it could be interesting. Particularly on the bench.

Barty II (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 07:57
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Tight head is where it could be interesting. Particularly on the bench.

I'd say Billy Walker has earned a chance with Bristol possibly a good opportunity to give him 20 minutes from the bench... but he was absent from the Storm side on Monday so suspect he's injured! Lamositele is probably the man for the job despite experimenting with HTS at tighthead on monday

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 08:05
Quote:
AP

There were no free or even cheap tickets for the game. Genuine sell out

AP (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 21:37
Bears v Quins attendance 12,287. I can't criticise that when we don't always get 9,000 in, but it's interesting if it's representative of Saturday afternoon attendances against Friday evening (or Sunday afternoon). Some clubs traditionally play on Friday evenings (not for me, please), so do they have to switch to Saturday or Sunday afternoons if BT wants that?

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 10:46
I think BT does dictact to a certain extent,but I believe the weather this weekend may well.pit casual supporters off, Bristol are playing well and I think they will survive this season be great to.go down in April hopefully with a massive crowd then

Adey (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:46
Bris absolutely walloped today in a game that was one neither could afford to lose. Could make the end of the season very interesting.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:14
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est-ce pas le rugby!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net