rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
WHERE THERE'S A WYLES THERE'S A WAY!

Latest: SARACENS 31 ; 25 SALE SHARKS
Next: Leicester Tigers v Saracens Sun 25th Nov, 15.00 Welford rd, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Leicester Tigers v Saracens, Sun 25th Nov 15.00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Match Thread
derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 14:35
Overall not a bad first half - bit ring rusty in places, and the penalty count a bit high - but with the wind behind us in the second half, I'm optimistic

Re: Match Thread
Dave L (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 14:49
Not an easy place to go to but we are delivering a good performance. Maitland off with finger injury but Lewington on and scores.

maynas (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 14:54
Skelton doing more this game than the whole of last season, losing that weight and getting fit seems to have worked! Lesson to us all......

Dave L (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:02
Strets off Tomkins on, been a while since we saw him. Hopefully back to best.

Dave L (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:08
Brad bangs head and off for HIA, Whitely onto wing. Both Props subbed

PhillFez (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:14
Big debate over Goneva. Can't take Leicester out of the man, tried to cheat and didn't get away with it.

02 September, 2018 15:22
with so many subs on, it is hard to see how many people we have on the pitch after the yellow card

Dave L (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:25
Vincent K back on for Juan F, hopefully just HIA

PhillFez (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:29
21 22 squeaky bum time

02 September, 2018 15:34
great break by Jamie leading to the try - eight points clear now

vunipolae (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:35
The quality of our tries today has been exceptional

PhillFez (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:40
21 32. Great win (I only predicted 23. 28)

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:44
A nice 5 point ugly win to start the season. I'll take that every day of the week especially away to Falcons. It was good to stop them getting an LBP too. A rusty start no doubt but a confidence building first game with lots of positives as well.

Will Skelton well worth the MOTM award.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 17:03 by GazzaFez.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:47
Great play by Skelton, Jamie and what more can you want from a Debut?!

Some problems in an overall sense, but nothing too hard to work on. 5 points amazing to get away at Falcons, very happy with that.

As re Goneva's thing. I wouldn't say it's against the rules (contrary to values etc so hard to determine). However, the ref can only go off what they see. If you deliberately hide the not-grounding from him, then of course he's going to assume it's been touched down.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

AB (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:07
Re touch down by Goneva - everyone stopped otherwise no way Goneva will able to run whole length of pitch- agree it's not cheating in literal sense just clever sleight of hand.

Overall very pleased with result - not many are going to get 5 points at Newcastle.

Thought Ben Earl had a good game as well and was a little surprised that Rhodes was subbed but frightening for rest of Premiership when you consider who was missing?

At full strength IMHO we are almost unbeatable.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:08
Anyone see what Goode did? Was all a bit quick so assuming tactical foul/slowing things down under pressure?

02 September, 2018 16:09
it didn't get replayed on TV, but the commentators all said 'professional foul - entirely the right option'!

Mac L (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:29
I think he played the ball from an offside position, stopping a possible try, he was the last man, so yellow card.

Good result but worried about number of penalties Sarries commit.

Huxley (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:31
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Anyone see what Goode did? Was all a bit quick so assuming tactical foul/slowing things down under pressure?

I thought he went over the top of the ruck and took out the 9 with no cover behind him. A replay might have helped!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 16:33 by Huxley.

AB (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:59
Newcastle fans aren't happy especially as Nick scored and they claim it should have been red?

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

LutonS (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 17:02
Not many teams will return from Kingston Park with 5 points this season. Especially when reduced to 13 at one point. Job done and onto next week.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 17:19
Excellent result - especially considering we were pretty average. Not many teams will come away with a win from Kingston Park, let alone 5 points.

02 September, 2018 17:59
just here to say well done to the travelling support it created a good atmosphere and some good banter was had.
As fo the match i thought it was fairly even you guys just do what you do and do it well as for the Goneva thing i thought he was very clever (too clever) as he told Hamersley who wanted the ball from him what he was going to do but i guess you can argue the case either way so fair enough "cheating" a bit strong. Us coaches call it "Beating the game" and he did it well.
The Goode thing was a professional foul all day long and he knew it but it saved a try.

Again well done travelling fans some good noise was made.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 18:08
Quote:
AB
Newcastle fans aren't happy especially as Nick scored and they claim it should have been red?
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

There is also a Saracens fan on FB who thinks Goneva should have got a red...I do hope it's in jest or too much beer!!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

AB (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 18:37
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
AB
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

There is also a Saracens fan on FB who thinks Goneva should have got a red...I do hope it's in jest or too much beer!!!

Think you are mistaken about the Saracens fan as I can't see that anywhere! care to elaborate? also some sour grapes about our "inflated salary cap" but I dealt with that ina nice polite way- just think a comment said in the heat of the moment forma frustrtaed Newcastle supporter!

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 18:41
Quote:
AB
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
AB
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Think you are mistaken about the Saracens fan as I can't see that anywhere! care to elaborate? also some sour grapes about our "inflated salary cap" but I dealt with that ina nice polite way- just think a comment said in the heat of the moment forma frustrtaed Newcastle supporter!

No I'm not, I don't just make things up.

On Facebook (Fcool smiley....Sarries Fans Forum "...He should have been red carded imo".

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 19:18
Really enjoyed that. Probably the most satisfying thing was seeing Skelton deliver on some of the promise some of us have been talking about for a while (well done to the S&C team too) once we get better at supporting and looking for his off-loads he will we even more effective.

Most impressive thing was all the disruptions; Spencer out, injuries to both wings, Barritt off for HIA, down to 14 then 13 and the team remained composed and delivered a strong opening performance.

Lozowski continues to look to the manor born at 13 too. Really good stuff.

02 September, 2018 19:24
100% agree about the huge respect for our strength and conditioning team for turning Mr Skelton into the most amazing rugby player! You might expect that losing that much weight would be really bad - but Will played a blinder today

AP (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 19:33
This "professional foul ... right thing to do" cliche really annoys me.

The player is gambling that, having saved 5 or 7 points, while he's off the opposition won't score more. Given that they are starting with a penalty that's either a good 3 points or a hoick into the corner for a driving maul from the lineout, that is often optimistic.

I suppose in the heat of the moment you don't want to hold back and seem to be walked over. And we have a pretty good record for defending while a player down.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 19:38
Should that not be Mr Skeleton now?

Rusty, great defence bar their second try, some good tries by us, too many penalties, 5 points a real bonus, Falcons deserved a LBP. Problems looming at 3 with Chipi hobbling and VK off to SA.

isitme (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 19:47
From a neutral perspective. Goode was a clear yellow as he was offside and arguably prevented a probable try if Newcastle had quick ball. Goneva was very lucky not to be yellow carded for his cheap shot in the first half. Tompkins was a bit unlucky as the initial contact was below the head.

A decent performance against a spirited Falcons team. With some well worked tries.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 20:29
Maybe they should look at Goneva diving in head first as well??
Reminded me of a crowd in France the amount of whinging going on! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 22:47
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Reminded me of a crowd in France the amount of whinging going on! smiling smiley

Is it any wonder the crowd reacted the way it did? Did you watch the game today? The officials missed so much and thatís from both sides. Goneva could have easily gone to the bin for a stupid late hit in a ruck as could the yellow been a red for Tompkins.

You play on the edge and played the officials well. I was quite shocked at the amount of shouting Farrell does towards the officials. Iím not condoning this but if you can get away with it why not we never seem to grasp this. You were continually offside, not back 10 metres but still tackle the player. I lost count at how many times you were in from the side but the referee let it go.

Is it in the spirit of the game? We (Falcons) should have seen this and done exactly the same. Fair play to your boys you play to the whistle.

Ultimately at 21-22 down with 6 minuets left and Sarries down to 13 men you should find a way to grind a win, if you canít you donít deserve to and that was the case today for us.

You were 10% better today and showed why you are champions, determined and never wavered.

To let Jamie George run through 3 missed tackles for 40 metres was criminal.

Jamie George was outstanding as was Skelton what a monster and Lewington looks like heís been with you for years on fire pace to burn Wow just Wow.

I tell you what is must be hard work watching your lot play rugby week in week out.

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 05:33
Goneva could have been binned for the hit on the man who was preventing the quick penalty but equally if he'd been smarter and just pointed at him the Sarries player could well have been binned? I thought the ref lost control at times.

Any news on Maitland's injury?

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 08:18
Maitland has injured his finger apparently so maybe not too bad.

Anyone hear what happened to Spenno? All I heard was that he was a late withdrawal and was "ill". Hopefully just a stomach bug or similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 08:27 by GazzaFez.

Huxley (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 08:25
Supposedly Ben had been being sick most of the night before, it sounded like a bug or food poisoning to me.

AB (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 08:27
Too much Newcastle Brown?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 11:18
A thought I've had, say a Saraces player had noticed the "non touchdown" and had run up and smashed Goneva (hard to do I must admit) before he got to the 22..
Would Goneva say what he had done? Hmmm
Would Tempest go to the TMO? ...doubt it as he thought it had been touched down.
Would the crowd applauded a good tackle?

It was a very clever move, it fooled Sarries and Tempest so perhaps too clever?
If he had warned Tempest before the game it might happen perhaps a different result.

As for calling it ...not in the values/spirit... rubbish.
Better he had said I called 22 as I assumed you put it down.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 11:53
Lots of comments that I agree with above.

My biggest concern about yesterday's game was the number of penalties that we conceded; it was way, way too high and it will hurt us if we don't sort it out sooner rather than later.

I really, really like how sharp we looked in attack and I loved Alex's honesty when he was interviewed just after Wilson scored.

Last year Mark talked about the need for discipline; he needs to reinforce that message again.

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 11:53
Quote:
1876-Fez
A thought I've had, say a Saraces player had noticed the "non touchdown" and had run up and smashed Goneva (hard to do I must admit) before he got to the 22..
Would Tempest go to the TMO? ...doubt it as he thought it had been touched down.

If he had warned Tempest before the game it might happen perhaps a different result.

Exactly, its so clever it is stupid. If the Ref can't see what you have done, whats the point?

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 12:54
Quote:
1876-Fez

That's exactly what Tempest did say. He told their captain "I called 22" so that's the end of it. It was a clever move and I have no problem with the 'legality'. The problem for Goneva is that he fooled the ref as well!

MickyWiz (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 13:26
Exactly. I have no problem with what he did but he needed to convince Sarries he had touched down whilst showing the ref he really hadn't, which is practically impossible. Once the ref thinks he's touched down and blows the whistle the ball is dead and it really doesn't matter what actually did occur. Referee is the sole arbiter, etc.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 14:59
Quote:
Duncan Keene
Goneva could have been binned for the hit on the man who was preventing the quick penalty but equally if he'd been smarter and just pointed at him the Sarries player could well have been binned?

Tbf the quickest glimpse at the match footage shows you that a Falcons player has a leg hooked over Rhodes? to prevent him getting clear. Don't get me wrong Sarries players do lie in the wrong place and try and kill the ball like all teams do but in this instance the ref standing yards away should have observed that "Falcons are holding him in"

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 15:41
Quote:
Cumbrian_falcon
Quote:
Highbury Saracen

Is it any wonder the crowd reacted the way it did? Did you watch the game today? The officials missed so much and thatís from both sides. Goneva could have easily gone to the bin for a stupid late hit in a ruck as could the yellow been a red for Tompkins.

You play on the edge and played the officials well. I was quite shocked at the amount of
shouting Farrell does towards the officials. Iím not condoning this but if you can get away with it why not we never seem to grasp this. You were continually offside, not back 10 metres but still tackle the player. I lost count at how many times you were in from the side but the referee let it go.

Is it in the spirit of the game? We (Falcons) should have seen this and done exactly the same. Fair play to your boys you play to the whistle.

Ultimately at 21-22 down with 6 minuets left and Sarries down to 13 men you should find a way to grind a win, if you canít you donít deserve to and that was the case today for us.

You were 10% better today and showed why you are champions, determined and never wavered.

To let Jamie George run through 3 missed tackles for 40 metres was criminal.

Jamie George was outstanding as was Skelton what a monster and Lewington looks like heís been with you for years on fire pace to burn Wow just Wow.

I tell you what is must be hard work watching your lot play rugby week in week out.

Yes I went to the game & it seemed an awful lot of booing etc going on
I dont like Tempest much & to have him two games running is extremely unlucky on our part!
(Think he did our game v london irish)
I havent watched game back yet & will take your word on how much was missed
Had an enjoyable few beers with Falcons fans after but would say its a long trip to do it there & back in a day!
Re Goneva Ďno tryí I honestly dont think he ever thought it would be given....to be fair he was on halfway when he was being called back so did last half of pitch for crowds benefit!

European champions 2016 & 2017

AP (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 19:55
So he should have been done for time wasting!

There's no argument, the referee blew for the touchdown so the ball is dead.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 07:40
Quote:
1876-Fez

That was exactly the point I was trying to make to anyone who would listen on Sunday. I don't like it because the defending team are in a lose-lose situation.

And to be honest, even if he did tell Tempest before the game, he put it down within an half an inch of the ground, with his back turned to the referee and to the Saracens players. What's to stop him telling the referee he DID put it down that time if a Saracens player smashed him as soon as he stepped over the try line.

Sarries would be down to 14 for 10 minutes.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 11:19
My hearing is appalling, but I didn't hear Mr Tempest's whistle go when Goneva dummied the minor.

Can someone with functioning ears and more than one eye have a listen to the replay, please?

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

aidanb (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 11:39
Quote:
TonyTaff
My hearing is appalling, but I didn't hear Mr Tempest's whistle go when Goneva dummied the minor.
Can someone with functioning ears and more than one eye have a listen to the replay, please?

I was stood in the South Stand in my regular spot, i had the ref link in my lug and din't spot the ball on the foot, the whistle for a touch down or the chat to say to Will Welch he had called 22. I didn't even hear the bit where he said it was against the values.

I did hear him say "just don't do it again" and wondered what the hell he was on about.

I was sober as a judge - okay a bad head from previous night -

How the blinking hell did I miss all that ?

Static (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 11:55
Just watched again and there is a very light blowing of the whistle almost immediately on the ball being "touched down", which was out of screenshot to be honest but I presume that was when he "touched down", and then again as Goneva crossed the 22. Then he passed about 5 or 6 Sarries players who made no effort to tackle him. He told Will Welch, I think, just after he blew the second time it could be a game value offence.

You can argue the rights and wrongs, but if you fool everyone including the ref you do run the risk of it happening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net