rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
WHERE THERE'S A WYLES THERE'S A WAY!

Latest: SARACENS 31 ; 25 SALE SHARKS
Next: Leicester Tigers v Saracens Sun 25th Nov, 15.00 Welford rd, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Leicester Tigers v Saracens, Sun 25th Nov 15.00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Refs for Saturday
Huxley (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 13:48
Referee: Andrew Jackson (15th Premiership game).

Assistant Referees: Matthew O’Grady & Robert Warburton.

TMO: Stuart Terheege.

Citing Officer: John Byett

Re: Refs for Saturday
Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 19:24
Oh Lordy!
You'd think the reigning Premiership Champions might get the benefit of Barnesy and Co just once in a while!

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 10:44
At least Tempest is not ‘doing’ us 3 times in a row! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

AP (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 19:51
This is a storm in a tea cup.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Westrock (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:20
Don’t know how the Ref missed the George Smith hit on Jacko in real time!

Steve Robo (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:20
Made up for it though. Thought we were a bit to cocky in the first half and paid for it

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 20:42
Quote:
Westrock
Don’t know how the Ref missed the George Smith hit on Jacko in real time!

Not sure he did miss it as I thought I heard him say "I've got foul play, can you check?", or words to that effect, to the TMO. I guess he wanted to check it before he stopped play, but it did seem pretty obvious

Innings (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 20:54
For me the man of the match ought to be given to the most influential player on the field. On today's evidence, that should be George Smith. In the first half his breakdown steals, five or even six in all, kept Sarries out of any sort of fluidity, and were instrumental in Bears leading at half-time. In the second half his tackle on Jackson, which might be considered somewhere between reckless and worse, and the red card, gave Sarries the edge, and both sides knew form that moment how the game would end.

As a short-term injury cover signing, he might be spending a fair chunk of the first block of games in his six months in a purely spectating role.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

AP (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 22:06
Comment of the season so far, Innings.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Adey (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 23:49
Just as I was typing up a comment on the match thread about what a classy player George Smith is, he was getting sent off.

He’s an asset to any team he’s part of. Even if he has to watch from the sidelines for a bit, I’m sure his influence on the training ground will be rubbing off.

Roger G (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 07:19
His steal rate was helped considerably and mainly by Mr Vailanu regularly running away from his support, but also to some extent by the refs inability to see his hands on the ground before the ball.

FezOnaBike (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 08:58
I'll bow to superior knowledge, so please do not shoot the messenger!

But looking round the ground yesterday, I was surprised by the number of empty seats,
particularly in the east and west stands. Is this down to the ongoing issue of fans not
renewing their season tickets/moving to cheaper seats OR just not attending the opening
games of the season as mentioned above.

......'time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana....'

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 12:30
We (in the east stand) had quite a few empties around us, most of which I know are still held by ticket holders, but I can't tell for the greater number - I was actually surprised there weren't more.

The absences in the West Stand seemed very block heavy - I can only assume there was some significant ticket price rise margins that led to two entirely empty blocks, rather than a wider scattering

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 12:38
I thought the ref was generally good. Smith wasn't legal for much of his spoiling and breakdown work but that's par for the course. The red was in my view absolutely a red given how the ref said he saw the incident. Sarries discipline a bit of an issue and I thought Maro was incredibly lucky to stay on with a series of three penalty offences not given in several minutes in Sarries 22.

TOKS (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 18:30
You have to say Smith really undid his good work of the first half. In the first half he got away with everything like a good openside should. Hands on the ground /beyond the ball, side entry, failing to release the tackled player. All done far too subtly for Mr Jackkson to spot. Then in the second half he does the one thing that referees have been told to be hot on and which even Sir couldn't miss. It was a clear red and only a red because nothing more was available. I'm glad Sir took his time and got it right, was a tad painful delay-wise but the correct decision is way more important.

I know he will be banned for a while now but if Smith can pass on some of his arts then a couple of young opensides at Bristol could massively benefit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net