rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A COMEDY OF ERRORS

Latest: SARACENS 34 ; 22 WORCESTER WARRIORS
Next: Saracens v Sale Sharks Sat 17th Nov, 13.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Leicester Tigers v Saracens, Sun 25th Nov 15.00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

New beer initiative
Jim 55 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 18:34
Is this bar, academy and beer enterprise likely to be any good. A question for the aficionados (Sm129)

[www.saracens.com]

Re: New beer initiative
Westrock (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 18:50
As someone who lives 20 mins from Bury St Edmunds I have found that Greene Kings takeover of many independent brewers has made all their beers taste the same. GK IPA is a very poor quality ale and even though this craft concept is supposedly to do with their apprentices itís probably more to do with profit. I think that I will probably remain Wolfpack man at this seasons matches.

AP (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 19:40
Quote:
Westrock
As someone who lives 20 mins from Bury St Edmunds I have found that Greene Kings takeover of many independent brewers has made all their beers taste the same. GK IPA is a very poor quality ale and even though this craft concept is supposedly to do with their apprentices itís probably more to do with profit. I think that I will probably remain Wolfpack man at this seasons matches.

But isn't Wolfpack a Greene King incubation?

Roger G (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 19:47
Thought Wolfpack was a microbrewery, but IIRC the "Saracens Ale of a couple of seasons back was GK.

Westrock (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 20:01
Quote:
AP
Quote:
Westrock

But isn't Wolfpack a Greene King incubation?

As I understood it Wolfpack is brewed by two of our former players Alistair Hargreaves and Chris Wyles!

[www.wolfpacklager.com]

mrangry (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 06:17
I agree with Westrock, GK is anathema to many real ale lovers. The Saracens Ale was, I believe, a variation on a beer from one of the (seeming) dozens of breweries ithas taken over and closed. Those with longer memories might recall the McMullen Saracens ale, a really good, tasty pint. Lesser memories will recall a few years ago the GK "festival" at AzP when the Championship season opened with a double header on the Saturday, us home Sunday. GK showcased a few new brews there, some of which were not too bad, but generally disappointing. Now Wolfpack has gone truly independent, there is no reason to try GK except for curiosity. Perhaps we could get feedback here, but until then I am remaining with Wolfpack.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 07:24
I think Wolfpack was originally incubated by Greene King with help from Saracens.

I was talking to Alistair H a few weeks ago at the Wolfpack tap and its now in over 200 locations! They also have some big plans for the match day / Wolfpack experience as well.

LutonS (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 07:29
Sarries ale was re-badged Ruddles County I thought?

The biggest issue with it at AZ park was the fact it was very badly poured imo. It actually did have a bit of taste.

Also in defense of Greene King they are great supporters of Rugby. Not just at Premiership level either.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 08:22
Quote:
Wayoutwest
I think Wolfpack was originally incubated by Greene King with help from Saracens.
I was talking to Alistair H a few weeks ago at the Wolfpack tap and its now in over 200 locations! They also have some big plans for the match day / Wolfpack experience as well.

An excellent number!

Of course, by 3pm, that number will have reached several thousand... (Sm14)

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Waldo (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 08:56
Wolfpack was indeed incubated by Greene King with a view that it would eventually be brewed by the Wolfpack guys themselves in their own brewery in Queens Park - not sure how far down the road they are with that though or where the current crop of Wolfpack is actually brewed.

Anyhoo - I hope they have Mr Michael Rhodes Gin at AzP.I would have a tipple of that when I'm not driving ! It's much more refined (like me) than that lager stuff ! (Sm7)

raedarius (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 09:17
We had this initiative at Quins last season, round the back of the North Stand. Haven't checked if it is still there. The beer was better than the other options but also more expensive. Primarily sone very hoppy IPAs and a rather citrussy lager that tasted different from match to match.

JO'G (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 11:18
It's an unfortunate thing with these new micro-breweries that they limit the time maturing the hops to the barest minimum; stuffing in more hops to compensate. A byproduct of our fast moving, resource irrelevant industries nowadays

A by-product of this is that beer nowadays has a much higher acidic content which means that those who reach for the Rennies after a few beers - reach for them after only a couple of new brews

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 13:19
It's all a matter of taste isn't it but for me GK IPA is a horrible excuse for a beer. It looks like Sarries Ale is no more based on the storm game this week. GK's attempts at Craft Beers before have been pathetic. Lets hope the Wolfpack bus is allowed to continue to serve a very good IPA and/or that GK learn to make a decent IPA

AlanE (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 13:32
Sarries Ale no more? That's a real shame. I still miss Jody Scheckter's buffalo pies along with a pint of Sarries ale - now both are just a happy memory.

[BTW you can stock up on buffalo pies (without the Saracens crest) if you go to Laverstoke Park Farm - and just along the road at Laverstoke Mill you can call in and fill the rest of the boot with Bombay Sapphire at the global distillery for the stuff.]

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net