rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
FORGIVING US OUR SINS!

Latest: NORTHAMPTON SAINTS 27 : 38 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Gloucester Rugby Sun 23rd Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Gloucester Rugby, Sun 23rd Sept BT Sport

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Attendance
flavman 35 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:21
Very disappointed with the attendance today. Didn't even break 9000. First game of the season and defending champions.

Not good

Re: Attendance
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:30
I didn't catch the exact number but it was eight thousand seven hundred and something. Agree not too impressive, but not altogether unexpected in the circumstances.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 21:59
It's never a sell out first few games, I'm sure a few infrequents would have seen the fixture and go to Vs Gloucester instead

Great game today though, I'm sure the seats will get filled..

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 05:31
I was a season ticket holder for many years, but stopped for a variety of reasons, the primary one being that I was frequently travelling on business at weekends.
I was planning to go to the Bristol match, but ended going to Amman at short notice.
The sharp rise in season ticket prices was a very bitter pill for regular attendees, but ticket prices are (within reason) a marginal cost to supporters like me, who will only attend a handful of matches each season.
I will definitely take a keener interest in attending some of the 'bigger' home matches, given that decent seats will likely be available on match day. I guess the club knew that would be the case.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

AP (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 09:12
We had 9 regular season premiership games at AzP last season and six had a capacity crowd of 10,000 (or 9,999 in one case!).

The first home game was against Sale on 23 September (9,243). Falcons on 10 February (8,194) and Tigers on 25 February (9,772) were in the 6 Nations period with K0 brought forward / back by 30 minutes.

It doesn't seem to matter whether we play on Saturday or Sunday. Competition from the 6 Nations and the identity of the opponents may be more relevant - I'd guess that the Sale and Falcons matches have often been less well attended.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 13:35
Anyway you want to slice it 1200 plus off sold-out for the opening home fixture in a normal times fixture is poor. I hope that the new pricing structure is working out for the club as the holes in the East stand were very obvious including in E4 where I was sitting last season.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 17:25
I have always thought that our following has been inversely proportional to our achievements! Bristol fans must have thought they'd come on the wrong day....(Sm100)

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:15
We can never get more than 10k though no matter how well we do!
Unless its a home quarter final in Heineken cup
Our away support has grown quite well in last 2/3 years though

European champions 2016 & 2017

lechef (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 11:26
Att: 8,736

daz_71 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 13:06
There were quite a few empty seats around us in E2 as well. I guess that's what happens when you near on double people's season ticket prices.

I thought the North and South stands looked near to capacity. I guess the club should reclassify those next season!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 13:07 by daz_71.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 09:14
Many empty seats in E2 that last year had people we have sat with for many years...

Waldo (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 10:04
Moved from E4 to E3 along with many of my former neighbors who are now my new neighbors !

So a significant number have moved along the stand and we are all pretty much bunched together. (Rows A- E 60 upwards)

So were those seats occupied last season and the former incumbents moved along or were they non season ticket holder seats last season ?

I was ssurprised so many were available in the same location .

Roger G (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 12:43
Would've been much happier staying just behind you Waldo, but all we were offered was E2 or E8, which we were told were the best available.

Neville (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 08:18
We sat in E2 for years too and relocated to the south stands for price hike reasons. Shame to see several gaps in E2

Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 21:06
Genuine question asked without an agenda (I like Sarries), why do you think it is that you struggle to sell out? You have a high quality product...

Waldo (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 06:21
I think we have possibly now crossed a pricing threshold - We shall see as the season progresses.

A lot of competition in London for folks leisure cash & time.

A support base that is spread far and wide as opposed to Rugby towns like Glouster & Exeter but we are building a local identity.

Those are at least my thoughts.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 07:17
Ee are very much based within a football area. Alot of people i know are not interested in rugby at all. Now we are really embedded in the community that may bring the numbers. The school is open now so tbose who attend may become future supporters and the ripple effect may come about

Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 07:40
The attendance may have been down but was the amount of money paid to attend up?

I’m in E4 and the seats around me that last year which would have been filled with STH had people with one off tickets sat in them. Considering the price for those tickets was £68 a piece I would imagine the amount brought in was higher, so the club will be happy.

AP (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 08:52
It's not quite accurate that we struggle to sell out - as I said above we had six out of nine regular Premiership games at AzP at capacity, two more at 97% and 92% and one at 82%. Our two European pool games were capacity and 90%, the third being the snow affected match against Clermont which would otherwise would have been at or near capacity. But it is probably fair to say that at present 10,000 is pretty much the best we can bring in at AzP. It's an interesting question whether a new West Stand with seating much better than the present offering on that side of the ground would bring in more regular home supporters.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

GerryK (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 12:11
I believe I am correct AP, that AzP is only allowed a capacity of 10,000, increasing to 10,500 when the new stand is in operation. I believe that we are allowed upto 15000 for a couple of European fixtures per season

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 21:41
15,000 for one fixture per season and as of last year that is agreed upon rather than being in theory and still needing approval.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 10:26
Quote:
flavman 35
Ee are very much based within a football area. Alot of people i know are not interested in rugby at all. Now we are really embedded in the community that may bring the numbers. The school is open now so tbose who attend may become future supporters and the ripple effect may come about

I admire your optimism!

Given the demographic, the school will need to be extremely successful if its graduates are to afford E4 season tickets (Sm22)

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2018 13:25 by TonyTaff.

Mobbs (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:07
Saints fan passing through having just checked out your team for tomorrow.

I think attendances at all clubs will continue to dip for the simple reason that watching Premiership rugby is now an expensive business.Putting aside your own issues with price rises, many other clubs have seen tickets increase by more than inflation and year on year the cost is beginning to become unsustainable for many supporters. Saints have restricted concession prices in certain areas which has not gone down well as older supporters are being pushed into the margins. Professional rugby is not as popular as some believe putting aside what goes on with England at Twickenham where the supporter base is utterly different from that seen in the Premiership. Difficult times ahead methinks.

Anywat, back to tomorrow at the Gardens. A home win may be unlikely butwe will hve huge ambition to gain some self-respect after last seasons four maulings.....

Safe Travels to all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 13:09 by Mobbs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net