rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
FORGIVING US OUR SINS!

Latest: NORTHAMPTON SAINTS 27 : 38 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Gloucester Rugby Sun 23rd Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Gloucester Rugby, Sun 23rd Sept BT Sport

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Sup for Saints
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:54
Saracens side to face Northampton Saints at Franklin’s Gardens on Saturday 15th September (15H00 KO):

FORWARDS: Mako Vunipola (146), Jamie George (198), Vincent Koch (41), Maro Itoje (96), Will Skelton (27), Nick Isiekwe (37), Mike Rhodes (71), Billy Vunipola (86).

BACKS: Ben Spencer (133), Alex Goode (263), Alex Lewington (2), Brad Barritt (225), Nick Tompkins (71), David Strettle (139), Liam Williams (17).

REPLACEMENTS: Christopher Tolofua (19), Richard Barrington (138), Titi Lamositele (53), George Kruis (159), Ben Earl (17), Richard Wigglesworth (212), Alex Lozowski (62), Sean Maitland (43).

Re: Sup for Saints
The Bard (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:56
Don’t understand that! Why not start loz at 10?

AP (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:57
No mention of why Owen is not in the squad - is it one of his rested games?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:58
Hmm...

Two enormous packs out there tomorrow.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:59
Genius! Allows us to have Liam and Goode on the pitch at the same time!

Loz on the bench in case.

What a team!

Waldo (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:10
Williams,Strets & Lewington - pretty decent and mobile back line that !

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:20
Glad to see Maitland back so quickly. Is Goode starting at 10 acknowledgment that we will lose Loz for the internationals and be left with AG and Max Marlins? Either way it doesn't make sense to me. On only the 3rd round must assume Faz has some sort of injury. He did take a very late and hard hit in the last match.

As usual an awesome bench.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:26
Might we not struggle at the breakdown? There's not much balance in our backrow.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 15:31 by TonyTaff.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:58
I can think of several good reasons for giving AG a runout at 10:

Faz took several big hits v Briz and must take an enforced rest in one of Rounds 1-6.
To keep him "alive" as an option (remember Bath A) AG needs to play there from time to time (best when Williams is available at 15, helped by 3 other quality wings all fit).
Malins will get his chances later in the season but unless urgent he's better learning to control his game with Storm (next game 24th).
AL also will benefit from some rotation during 1-6; leaving him as an injury option on the bench makes sense to me. I also believe he's a better 15 or 13 (or 12) than 10 though he probably doesn't want to be seen as just a utility player.
He may be needed at 10 during the AI/6N. A run out now with Loz on the bench seems wise.

Great to see GK back. Interesting that Saints have left Franks on the bench and that they start Brand H.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:13
Quote:
AP
No mention of why Owen is not in the squad - is it one of his rested games?

Saracens flyhalf Owen Farrell ruled out of Northampton clash with minor strain

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:25
Quote:
TonyTaff
Might we not struggle at the breakdown? There's not much balance in our backroom.

I think both packs are unbalanced in opposite directions. Sarries are effectively playing with a lock, a blindside and an 8 on the back row. Saints are effectively playing with two opensides and a blindside on the back row.

Saints are giving away an average of about 2 stone per player in the second and back rows, but Sarcacens are giving away mobility. It's the opposite out wide with Sarries having light fast players and Saints having more tackle breakers like Burrell, Tuala, and Naiyarovoro.

Should be an interesting contest.

LutonS (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:25
Malins is injured I believe.

primavesi (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:27
Hopefully we can keep up our average points per saints game from last season....

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:29
Malins and Faz out with slight knocks and strains, quality team that, enough for 50 points against saints (Sm100)

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:27
and Saints:
15 Ahsee Tuala 14 Taqele Naiyaravoro 13 Luther Burrell 12 Piers Francis 11 Tom Collins
10 Dan Biggar 9 Cobus Reinach
1 Alex Waller (co-captain) 2 Dylan Hartley (co-captain) 3 Ehren Painter 4 David Ribbans 5 Courtney Lawes 6 James Haskell 7 Heinrich Brüssow 8 Teimana Harrison
Replacements:
16 Mike Haywood 17 Francois Van Wyk 18 Ben Franks 19 Api Ratuniyarawa 20 Jamie Gibson 21 Alex Mitchell 22 Andrew Symons 23 Harry Mallinder

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:48
Interesting matchup for sure and I don't see it being like last season. Boyd looks to already be having an impact and in contrast to last season under the ghost of Mallinder I think a Boyd team will lose trying to win rather than try not to lose. Especially with their smaller pack I'd expect them to go for a looser game.

I really don't get the backs selection for Sarries. I understand that Farrell and Malins aren't available and would agree this game is a step too far for Whiteley but I am not sure if a better solution wouldn't have been to start Lozo at 10. It wouldn't effect Goodes ability as a second play-maker but more importantly I feel his "direction" will be needed at the back. I am sure Lewington is going to be very good for Sarries but defensively he's been all at sea and he's needed Goodes help. Will he get that from Williams? I am a fan of Tompkins but a bit surprised that Lozo doesn't start in this instance. I hope Skelton is much more careful on his clear-outs and that Sarries generally look more disciplined. I really liked Isikwe as blindside but he has to guard the pillars properly as he has been caught out a couple of times there and both Brussow and Harrison have sniped from there so far this season. Lastly on Sarries I hope the legal clearing is much better than the last game. Northamptons backrow is poorly balanced but depending on the ref they could have very good breakdown options. Looking forward to Sarries pressurising Northampton lineout and hopefully having the nudge at scrum time.

In terms of Northampton their locks were exceptional last week (as Lawes is pretty much week-in-week-out) but the rest was a mixed bag. They played off 12 a lot and whilst it looks promising in terms of them trying to play a more fluid style of rugby it also looks like there's a while to go before their comfortable with it. Biggar had an off day with the boot in the first game but he'll punish any repeat infringing from Sarries (edit) also get the feeling this side will use their big winger much better than North was ever used.

Really looking forward to the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 15:51 by SarrieSaint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net