rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

game today
AB (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 17:20
It's frightening how good this side can be if we play to our full intensity for 80 minutes.
i firmly believe that no side could live with us and if we keep it up we have another double to enjoy!

Re: game today
Roger G (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 17:29
Quote:
AB
It's frightening how good this side can be if we play to our full intensity for 80 minutes.
i firmly believe that no side could live with us and if we keep it up we have another double to enjoy!

One chicken, two chickens......

I agree we have a very good chance of silverware with the team playing as they are, but the margins between the top teams (especially n EUrope can be small) and once we get to knockout stages anybody can win on the day.

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 17:30
Boring boring Sarries(Sm161)

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 17:40
Good game. I hope Barritt is ok and also the spectator who hurt herself.

Lots to work on but frightening potential. I thought Titi acquitted himself well especially in the loose as did Tompkins. I am really excited to watch this next stage of Saracens development especially as I think this style is challenging Farrell and he always rises to challenges.

The Bard (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 18:05
It was quite incredible how we kept Bath in the game with some pretty poor errors. Kruis and Wiggy very unhappy with each other after their first try. Who knows what the score could have been with a bit more composure!
Another good stint from Tolofua off the bench, his throwing has lookedl a bit more assured these past two weeks.
More good stuff from Nick Tompkins too! The prop on loan from Cornwall will certainly have enjoyed himself after the scrum penalties at the end.

maynas (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 22:09
No question though we were our worst enemy giving away tries like sweets at Christmas. We need to keep concentration when the big games come along. That was a very average nearly scratch Bath side with 13 changes from last week's team, we allowed them to look much better on the score board than they were in reality on the pitch , especially at half time. Worrying we played a bit like Wasps, all good attack and some poor defence! Alex Goode though, just amazing, why the daft Aussie doesn't pick him for England, show me a better full back playing now.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 22:45
Agree with all the above-

Crazy we can all be quite so underwhelmed with 8 tried and 50 points, but as last week: still not quite clicking, not quite as good as we can be. At some point we will be, and someone is going to get really thumped.

Almost feels like we're forcing it a little at the moment and could just do with calming it all down a bit.

Thought defence was excellent - Lozza put in some hits in the second half! Discipline was v good too, which isn't always the case.

FezOnaBike (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 08:41
As said above,I thought the score flattered Bath, and we were sloppy at times, the two
intercept tries were good examples of this.

Nice to see the the scrum working well. I think we should be grateful that Alex is out
favour with 'Yoda' or come the short days and long nights, things may be a even
tougher. He has been our player of the season so far.

I may be worrying unnecessarily, but it does bother me how we will manage when we lose
our players for the AI's and the Six Nations. Yes, I know in McCall we should have faith!

"......time flies like an arrow,fruit flies like a banana......"

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 11:33
Quote:
maynas
No question though we were our worst enemy giving away tries like sweets at Christmas. We need to keep concentration when the big games come along

Not necessarily saying you are wrong but the way that Saracens are playing this season is a step up from previous seasons and there's a learning curve that comes with that and the flatter the team plays to the line the quicker the players will have to be in reading and reacting to the opposition. I also think its inevitable that defence will suffer a bit as the team plays a looser game especially on turnover (intercept) ball as players are likely to be out of position.

I think its part of the price to pay for the team evolving its playing style. It may even be something that cost Saracens results in the short term but it is definitely worth persevering with. The Premiership looks hugely competitive this season but for me Chiefs are treading water, good enough to beat the vast majority of other teams but looking pretty one-dimensional minus some magic from Cordero. Saracens in contrast are scoring tries from all over the field, counter-attacking well, getting used to playing a second (third?) receiver at 13 as well as Goode at 15, etc Given we can all see that the performances whilst promising aren't the complete article I think it bodes well for the future and as brilliant as it is to watch the backs run riot what really pleases me is seeing the line and offload from Titi, or Jamie George drawing a defender and passing for a try on the wing. With forwards with that level of skill as well as the ability to take contact Saracens could really be motoring.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 12:35
I often wonder whether this board will go into meltdown (see Tigers') when our fall from these heights eventually happens. Another week to enjoy so much extraordinary talent in the knowledge that we can get even better - and the players/coaches acknowledge this. Enjoy the good times!

I'm concerned for Brad - another very uncomfortable injury for our rock, I hope he takes time to recover fully. We have some excellent cover though no one to take the heavy contact or make the tackles he so consistently completes. To succeed in Europe we need our best to be fit; just as a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, it only takes a couple of injuries in the same key position (TH, 12) for our team to substantially weaken.

The scrum was interesting. As with Dan Cole, I feel we are (usually) too honest. Yesterday it seemed to me that Bath were very nave and allowed us to dominate. Titi (again, as v Braves) showed his experience and impressed. Judge too, as on his YouTube video, showed he has a very strong back - he gets very low, under his opponent and lifts. I'd have pinged him at least twice in the scrum (knee on ground, angle) and he was offside in the defensive line a couple of times, BUT well done to the coaches on lining him up at such short notice - a great find.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 12:49
Sara'sman not sure if you get TRP but suggested there that Saracens are trying to get Judge to commit till the early new year.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 13:18
Andy, this board, or it's predecessor, didn't go into meltdown when we were pants. Cue. "Where we're you when we were pants?"!

The participants will have changed, however. We'll see, though I hope it won't be a test we have to undergo!

As for the second tier tightheads, I will reserve judgement until I see them up against the unbeasted Marler.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 13:26
[quote Sara'sman "I often wonder whether this board will go into meltdown when our fall from these heights eventually happens." ]

I know I am not alone in continuing to celebrate the day we officially avoid relegation! (old habits die hard). Fortunately these days it is often in February or March rather than the last day of the season!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 13:32
Too right! I remember the days of looking up which teams would be joining us at level 2, and wondering where some of them played!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 14:46
That deflated on Sunday night knowing you have to face the crowing office Waspies the next day. Of course I retired before we became superb pants instead, and, of course, I wouldn't have crowed (not half!!).(Sm59)

JO'G (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 11:38
Quote:
FezOnaBike
I may be worrying unnecessarily, but it does bother me how we will manage when we lose our players for the AI's and the Six Nations. Yes, I know in McCall we should have faith!

There is the advantage this year that we don't play Exeter twice in the fallow period - we do play Tiggers twice - but that's a significantly better prospect with the team we will be able to put out.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 16:49
Quote:
TonyTaff
Too right! I remember the days of looking up which teams would be joining us at level 2, and wondering where some of them played!

we could be safe already! The last time a team acquired more than 25 points and got relegated was in 2012 (Newcastle)

Innings (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 17:06
I prefer the mathematical certainty rather than hoping that this won't be the season that sets a new record for highest number of points and still getting relegated.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 09:40
I watched the highlights last night and they confirmed what I thought live - Cooke's try should not have been allowed. He was clearly two yards offside, having illegally joined the lineout from the receiver position before it was over (though it is unclear whether he committed a second offence by having a toe or more over the 15m line!). [For balance, our last try was also illegal imo, Skelton and others (as happens so often with all teams) leaving the lineout (not just swapping places) early].

I hope the Cooke issue is picked up by referees. Faf de Klerk is superb at charging down kicks/intercepting passes/hurrying his opponent by legally starting his run early from 5m behind rucks/mauls, timed for the pick up and aborted if he gets it wrong. There is already too little space on the pitch, if players are allowed two yards without penalty it will harm the game. Curiously Robshaw nearly "did a Faf" v Gloucester (he was a legal receiver at a lineout) but was marginally too slow to make the interception and was then out of position defensively.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:09
Unlike Cooke, Care seemed legal (perhaps he stole half a yard at worst) but clearly the "off the top" ball needs better protection. Back in the day (the black and white days) one of my jobs at the tail of the lineout was to make such interceptions impossible for my opponent (scrummies stayed away) - in an entirely legal way of course. The abandoning of the law that the defending lineout must be no longer than the attackers' makes this harder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net