rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Bath Squad - I wasn't going to say anything.....
BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 21:05
Am I the only one trying to balance the "surrender" vs "tactical" player selection by Bath on Saturday?

I wasn't going to post anything until that fine journalistic organ posted this online (and maybe in print)

Refund for Bath fans?

To be honest I'm still undecided. We at Saracens have an embarrassment of riches so it's wrong to pontificate. If Bath have success vs Exe and then in Yoorp it paid off.

Over to the wise of this parish...........(Sm85)

Re: Bath Squad - I wasn't going to say anything.....
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 07:44
I think Blackadder has had a tough introduction at Bath and a bit of a reality check over the past two seasons of the differences between SR and Premiership rugby. Every game counts, you lose your best players for significant parts of the season and your idiotic National coach knackers then breaks your players. Add to that the toxic legacy and presence of Ford(s) in his first season and some horrific injuries in the second and I think he is very wisely going for a pragmatic approach.

With a home game against Chiefs followed by two weeks of European Cup rugby I think it was a good call. Ofc it's more extreme but how is it that different from the significantly weakened team Saracens put out against Wasps last(?) season when top 4 places were still in the balance because the focus was on the ERCC semi-final the following week? As it is he was able to rest a fair few of his team and give valuable experience to those who travelled. Given it was both their best "result" away against Saracens for a while but also that they weren't close enough to have suggested an upset might have been on the cards it looks to me like Blackadders take was vindicated. If they beat or even get points against Chiefs that will be further vindication if they don't then you could argue the plan didn't work but would they have been any better off with back-to-back losses against both Saracens and Chiefs if they'd played their full team?

beshocked (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 08:36
For 50 odd minutes it was competitive, so I wouldn’t say Bath surrendered. Sure the scoreline flattered Bath but the players who did play did put up a fight.
Many other sides have been rolled over easier by Saracens than that Bath side.

Playing the two strongest sides in the league back to back is something that no club would want.It’s realistic to see the game at home as a better chance of winning.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 09:46
Think SarrieSaint has it pretty spot on actually.
It is all part of the debate that is finally being had about player burn out - it is long overdue IMHO.

In fact - think I will post a separate thread following the news about Joe Marler and the issues it raises. I know there has been an initial one - but the rugby pod opens a much wider debate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net