rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Time to rotate?
primavesi (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 09:25
Team should be out shortly so this is a bit last minute, but surely this is the perfect game for mass rotation. 25 points from 5 games has given us the luxury. I would rest at least half a dozen or more of our key players with Glasgow and Lyon coming up. There is no point the coaches paying lip service to player welfare if they are not prepared to give them a rest from time to time.

How strong a team would people pick for this game?

Re: Time to rotate?
AP (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 10:35
Well, I'd guess we'd really want to win this one (as if we wouldn't!) as we've not done well at The Stoop recently and we don't want Gussie and Nathan getting uppity, so I don't see any of the bright young things coming in (and aren't several of them injured?).We might rest some usual 23 man squad players we will need during the AIs.

There's some natural rotation in the backs as each game we use four from Goode, Williams, Strettle, Maitland and Lewington. Possibly Liam's turn to sit out?

In the centres, Brad and Duncan have been involuntarily rotated out, so Nick and Alex play.

You can tell Owen he's not playing, and he's been rested one week already. He may have to cover at 12 anyway.

Ben ahead of Wiggy this week.

Forwards - we might see Callum Clark or Dom Day on the bench, I guess. How did they do in the Storm game? Do we have any spare props or hookers?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 10:52
Not much rotation... Seems we want to win there this year!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 10:55
I'm surprised at the strength of our team with two European weeks coming up.
Mako and Jamie have played every game so far this year - I would have expected them to have some time off.

The Bard (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 11:04
I thought mmc always aimed to peak the week before Europe. Unfortunately last seasons game at Quins was the week before Clermont and that al went well...

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 11:11
just FYI - one of the ppds mentioned last week that Sarries had started more different players in the first 5 weeks than Bath had -- even with Bath making 13 changes in 1 games

This was based on starting XV and most players seem to have had 1 week off (apart from Mako)

primavesi (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 11:17
I would have liked to have seen Owen, Mako, Jamie and Billy all get a rest with Champions cup and then autumn internationals coming up. That is a hell of a lot high level rugby.

I think most would agree our biggest rivals for the European cup are Leinster. You can be sure they will be doing everything to ensure their players are not knackered when the big knockout games come round next year, and if it means losing the odd league game along the way they wont be too bothered.

Anyway, hopefully we will get a big lead and can make some early changes.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 11:39
Personally, I would have liked to see Baz starting with Mako at least on bench preferably rested (is HTS injured? However strong Quins front row!), Jamie benched with Tolofua starting, Maro rested - 2 from Nick, Will & George - with Burger starting and Ben E/Callum C on the bench. I think that would give us a very strong 23 and giving a rest to some of those who will be hardest hit over the next two months! Billy, I think, is still getting up to speed and needs game time. Faz not too worried about and probably too early for Bosch straight back in if Loz was to go to 10.

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 13:07
Quote:
primavesi
I would have liked to have seen Owen, Mako, Jamie and Billy all get a rest with Champions cup and then autumn internationals coming up. That is a hell of a lot high level rugby.

Owen and Billy both had a week off - Jamie does seem to get swapped around 55 minutes in most games where we are under control

Its really Mako who doesn't get rested, but he seems to be one of those guys who play better the more he plays. He always reminds me of Angus Fraser - totally pooped, but still always able to bowl one more over

Waldo (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 13:31
Don't forget this is live on NBC in the US - it's a good show case opportunity for exposure - now all we have to do is win it !

primavesi (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 14:28
Quote:
JO'G
Its really Mako who doesn't get rested, but he seems to be one of those guys who play better the more he plays. He always reminds me of Angus Fraser - totally pooped, but still always able to bowl one more over

Re Maro, I thought his form tailed off in the last half of last season (post Lions tour). Iīm sure he wants to play whenever he can but players do not always know what is best for their bodies and he has played virtually non stop rugby for a number of years.

Anyway, it is what it is. I just hope we have enough in the tank at the back end of the season when the big games come around.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 15:20
Billy has only played 3 out of 5 so far including one off the bench. He wasn't fit for the opening game against Falcons and had a pre-arranged medical procedure for the Glaws game, so I'm not surprised he's starting.

Excellent team and as usual a great bench.

AP (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:34
And boy did we need the bench.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 05:18
Quote:
AP

? Three players totally unused AP. Bosch (thank goodness) and two of the front row. I thought it was very interesting that when the game was as tight McCall preferred to keep Mako and Jamie on rather than have fresh legs. Looks like a good call with the result in mind.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 06:32
TBF Maro was hugely influential when he came on.
It was interesting about the front row; in previous matches when we were well ahead MMc subbed the front row (apart from Mako) relatively early on. It was as if he daren't upset the apple cart yesterday.

AP (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:24
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Quote:
AP

? Three players totally unused AP. Bosch (thank goodness) and two of the front row. I thought it was very interesting that when the game was as tight McCall preferred to keep Mako and Jamie on rather than have fresh legs. Looks like a good call with the result in mind.

Ah, OK. I was at the match and rather too caught up in the anxiety of the last 15 minutes to notice what changes weren't being made!

Innings (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:17
A most interesting game, but one for the committed supporter rather than the casual watcher.

Care is a gobby so and so, and that spikiness and aggression seems to be part of the skill set of many top-class 9s. Ditto Brown and 15s. But sadly I thought Marler was more loose cannon than the other two, and his penalty count must be enormous already.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 16:03
I actually thought that any player in Englandís EPS squad had to have a mandatory rest for 1 game out of the first block of 6 Prem games ? Pretty sure that used to be the ruling ! Only Owen & Billy have had that out of our contingent & those were injury-enforced !

As far as I was aware, all EPS players would miss 1 game in the first 6, 1 game over the Christmas/New Year block & then 1 in the next 6 games after the 6-Nations has ended !

Had no idea it had changed !

vunipolae (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 16:19
I thought that was a rule as well but we never seem to rest mako or George. It is possible the rule doesnt apply to front row forwards as they tend not to play the full 80?

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:23
Quote:
Innings
A most interesting game, but one for the committed supporter rather than the casual watcher.
Care is a gobby so and so, and that spikiness and aggression seems to be part of the skill set of many top-class 9s. Ditto Brown and 15s. But sadly I thought Marler was more loose cannon than the other two, and his penalty count must be enormous already.

Fair points Innings but Kyle Sinckler is an odious character - all the head patting and wind ups. We ignored it well enough I think. Jamie doesn't get that cross without reason!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net