rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Sarries v Quins
maynas (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:01
Getting fed up of us giving away interception tries

Re: Sarries v Quins
p248 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:08
I'm listening to the match on BBC Radio London. The commentators seem very biased towards Quins and also seem short of knowledge about Sarries.

Brent1 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:13
Ferocious competition particularly at the breakdown by both teams. But given Sarries have looked so much better than everyone else this season...amazing by Quins and Care is on fire, particularly in defence.
Can't help feeling Quins will run out of steam though and Sarries class/bench will pull you thru
Chiefs fan in peace !!

vunipolae (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:15
Quins reminding me of us from a few years back. Remember a lot of Quins fans saying how they'd rather play their old basketball style rugby and lose than our style and win. Wonder if thats still the same. Looks like Custard is doing a good job with them and with several promising youngsters I expect them to be competitive at the top in a couple of years

nicsue (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:16
I don't like Sinckler.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:17
Quins made 112 tackles compared to Sarries 26......hoping they will tire in 2nd half!
Maybe Wiggy might have been better starting this one but lets hope Spenno comes good!
Need to stay away from Marler & Sincklers back chat & wind ups!

European champions 2016 & 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 20:18 by Highbury Saracen.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:43
Quote:
maynas
Getting fed up of us giving away interception tries

You'll have hated the latest one then!

You've got the game, we've got the luck.

All the best and no malice intended - intense game so far.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 21:11
Congrats...

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 21:15
Tough old game - the boys really had to tough that one out; you can see Gussieís influence on Quins.

cwrich (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 21:24
Class 👍

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 21:25
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Congrats...

Thanks. I thought Quins played exceptionally. Delighted for Gussie that he's drawing things together and with Horwill back in Quins leadership looks more assured too. Marchants try was a thing of absolute beauty. Almost feel that should have got him MotM.

For Saracens a really that was a bit of a hoo-doo broken. I'd have taken any win before the game and whilst Quins out-scored Saracens I never felt Saracens lost composure. Momnumental shift from the Vunipolas but pretty much the whole team played well they just came up against a Quins team with a Gandalfian defence!

Lots of work-ons from the game but the results the main thing. These interceptions keep happening partially because of great anticipation from the opposition but also because Saracens players are committing to the pass without double-checking the pass is on. Third one in two matches hopefully means lessons will be learnt. Well done though.

nicsue (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:01
Nice to see we can win playing a different style of game.

The Bard (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:05
Awesome defence from Quins to repeatedly keep 2 Vunipolas and Skelton out from close range. As predicted by a couple above Quins eventually tired and we got some quicker ball. An ideal reality check before Europe

dirtybertie (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:05
Billy V was world class today

King Zak (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:07
After the last two games, I think we needed a tough game like that. Excellent performance from Quins; the question now, can they repeat it for the rest of the season.

Nous sommes l'armťe noir et rouge !

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:20
First up big shout out to Gussie, his influence was there in bucket loads today.

Secondly - same for the Quins players. They put in one hell of a defensive shift today.

Third - ever played Backgammon against someone who keeps throwing doubles? No matter how good you are it feels like you can't win. That's what the first 60 minutes felt like to me. Two tries against the run of play was tough to take.

In many ways the most satisfying win this season and just what we needed before the Glasgow game.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:37
Quote:
GazzaFez
First up big shout out to Gussie, his influence was there in bucket loads today.
Secondly - same for the Quins players. They put in one hell of a defensive shift today.

Third - ever played Backgammon against someone who keeps throwing doubles? No matter how good you are it feels like you can't win. That's what the first 60 minutes felt like to me. Two tries against the run of play was tough to take.

In many ways the most satisfying win this season and just what we needed before the Glasgow game.

Couldnít agree more it seemed no matter what we did they had an answer for it; in the last 20 we completely stepped up and started to dominate and the final plays were nice to see.

AP (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 23:10
Glad that we had the composure to keep on slotting the penalties and getting the points to stay in touch, though it was a bit worrying at 20 - 12 down!

There's a real niggle between the teams and Marler, Brown and Care were getting a bit worked up.

Lots of hold ups for injuries and other delays. Both sides seemed to struggle initially with the damp and the dark.

Goodness knows what the US viewers made of it; perhaps not the best advertisement for the Premiership.

Excellent shredded duck wraps / on chips.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 06:15
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Need to stay away from Marler & Sincklers back chat & wind ups!

I know the rugby world at large is currently on a "what a great bloke" Marler is but I thought he was lucky to stay on. Lots of niggle, played the 9 on their tryline, cleared out with a shoulder only at the ruck multiple times. The degree to which Jamie George was rilled up probably an indication of what was going on unseen but credit to the team for turning that into a win.

Highlight (after Marchants brilliant try) was possibly the incredibly chopsy Ward throwing his first lineout at almost 90 degrees to the lineout and then getting levelled by Billy a short while later.

Someone made a great point about how you judge who the best team in the League are. Is it style, or tries or points or wins. A friend suggested you look for the team that everyone raises their game against and that's Saracens. Even Baths B team played much better than expected.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 07:13
Agree with much of what has been said. Gustard's mark is all over Quins and congratulations. I was waiting for the ultimate "knee in the groin" of Nathan Earle going over in the closing minutes. Both teams were massive Quins in defence and Saracens in utter relentlessness - we just wouldn't go away.

Most importantly though we won a game where we were asked big questions for 80 minutes by a team who really wanted the win.

Good to see The Stoop full with, I think they said 13,000 odd

On the food front great little Italian in Church Street called Masaniello.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:58
Many interesting comments above. the guys ground out a great win. Titi held up well again, Kruis immense.

Return fixture: I note the venue remains "tba" on the Fish. I've been following the construction of Spurs' amazing new stadium on skyscrapercity. Due to the overrun over safety issues Spurs have been extending their stay at Wembley on a game by game basis till December. Apparently Wembley have recently said that they are no longer prepared to do this, it must be till the end of the season if at all - I'm guessing so that events, such as our game(?), can be confirmed. Strong indications are that within the next couple of weeks Spurs will be announcing an opening date, which may mean Quins at Wembley again.

Waldo (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:08
Quote:
Sara'sman
. Strong indications are that within the next couple of weeks Spurs will be announcing an opening date, which may mean Quins at Wembley again.

Or Sarries @ White Hart Lane.

They have a 4G pitch that needs some usage- can't announce WHL as the venue until they know it will be ready.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:15
I think that he 4G would be unsuitable Waldo - it is 1.65m below the grass level (to enable spectators to see over the Spares in American Football where the pitch is much narrower) so nearside sight lines would be dreadful, much worse than Bath's. The grass surface would be usable, though a little small.

chris87 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 14:58
Quote:
Sara'sman
I think that he 4G would be unsuitable Waldo - it is 1.65m below the grass level (to enable spectators to see over the Spares in American Football where the pitch is much narrower) so nearside sight lines would be dreadful, much worse than Bath's. The grass surface would be usable, though a little small.

In theroy the 1st Spurs game at the new ground is 15th December....

Anyway, in relation to the sightlines i dont think it would be as bad as you think.

New WHL Grass Pitch

If you look at the photos you will see that the grass pitch is slightly wider then the markings on the grass but i agree with you about not being allowed to us that.

New WHL NFL Pitch

So with the 4g pitch, well it might not be that narrow if you take out the markings. I know that there is "flaps" which move up/down when the grass rolls in so they may be able to be played on and the general 4g area looks the same size as a football pitch.

Knowing they Spurs want to earn money from the ground, with NFL and the music market's, I cant see them also thinking that we might be looking for somewhere slightly larger to play the odd game.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:24
I think there would be issues with the 4g pitch. Firstly it may not be the right type of 4g to play rugby on. Also American football pitches are very narrow at just 49m compared to 70m for rugby. I dont think there would be enough space. Thirdly you can't really repaint an artificial pitch like you can with a grass pitch so they'd really need a whole separate turf just for rugby

RobB (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:14
Just re-watched the game and crikey, there was loads of niggle going on (both ways). The quins front row were doing their very best to wind up ours.

What I did want to comment on was Billy's try celebration. Exactly the same as Danny Care's in front of the South Stand. priceless.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:18
Quote:
Sara'sman
Many interesting comments above. the guys ground out a great win. Titi held up well again, Kruis immense.
Return fixture: I note the venue remains "tba" on the Fish. I've been following the construction of Spurs' amazing new stadium on skyscrapercity. Due to the overrun over safety issues Spurs have been extending their stay at Wembley on a game by game basis till December. Apparently Wembley have recently said that they are no longer prepared to do this, it must be till the end of the season if at all - I'm guessing so that events, such as our game(?), can be confirmed. Strong indications are that within the next couple of weeks Spurs will be announcing an opening date, which may mean Quins at Wembley again.

Apologies but ABW (anywhere but Wembley) (Sm102)

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:32
Very satisfying win but hopefully it didn't take too much out of them pre-Europe.

Like Faz said afterwards, we're nowhere near quite yet - which is quite worrying for other sides in the league.

However, I thought it was noticeable how we turned it up at about 65 minutes. Thought the play after Billy's try (catch the restart, box kick, regain possession, Farrell kick into the opposite corner) was masterful.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 10:33
Quote:
BACK TO BLACK
Quote:
Sara'sman

Apologies but ABW (anywhere but Wembley) (Sm102)

Not just Marler Care and Brown - but Sinckler too. I thought he particularly behaved pretty badly actually. Lots of pushing and shoving after the fact and general uncalled for unpleasantness. Seeing Jamie get that wound up in a game is still pretty unusual - he normally just steps away (Hartley's infamous 'headbutt plus' being one of a very few times I have seen that kind of anger from him) But he was clearly fuming. Billy's response after his own try was very funny... good for him after Care's 'celebration' - and his telling the ref he hadnt grounded the ball the first time was an example of how to behave.

Still - good for Quins being so up for the match. If they can reproduce that form consistently they will be top four no question. Max Crumpton is our ex Academy Max Crumpton isnt he? Monye said he was from Bristol. So does that mean there are three ex Sarrie coaches and three ex Sarrie players there - Nathan, Max and Aaron. All Don's boys.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 10:42
Max has done the rounds, including Briz. I was watching Plymouth at Leeds a few years back. After a lineout around 25min I asked a nearby Plymouth supporter how Max was doing. "First one he's hit all year" came the reply!

ETA: In fairness to him I thought he had a decent game for Quins.

Jack Nay limped off in pain playing for Bedford yesterday after c25 min, clutching his hip. Flannagan was excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 10:50 by Sara'sman.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 10:47
I actually think we needed this sort of gritty tough win before Europe, which will be super tough. Quins always play well against us at home and no surprise here and you could tell with Sinckler especially bringing so much niggle. I am just glad that the boys kept their composure to beat them, and I for one loved Billy's try celebration as no one can say anything about it as it was the same exact thing that Care did.

Innings (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 11:27
Don't worry about the aggro; what was the penalty count that caused Quins' player to go OTT? That number came from the Sarries' pressure for which the only answer was to lose the plot enough for Farrell to get the opportunities from which the win came.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 11:55
Quote:
Innings
Don't worry about the aggro; what was the penalty count that caused Quins' player to go OTT? That number came from the Sarries' pressure for which the only answer was to lose the plot enough for Farrell to get the opportunities from which the win came.

Aye, 6 from 7 converted, and all of them from offences trying to stifle our attack - not rolling away, offside in the defensive line (which couldn't get back in line in time), then collar the ball-carrier so he can't recycle quickly.

Mr Pearce, whom Ugo Monye seems to think is his improbable love-child, didn't seem to think any of this merited discouragement.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:08
Well played Sarries , ground out a hard earned win in a game that could have gone either way in the last 1/4 - although you had a stronger bench which could have been the difference- coming from where we were last season shipping tries at will , we are seeing the benefit now of organised defence and playing with a lot more confidence

Seemed to be a lot of ' pantomime niggle' throughout that spilled over occasionally but I thought it was credit to Sarries players that they jogged over when Mike Brown and Danny Care were getting presentations at the end and joined in the applause .

Good game to watch .

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 15:22
Quote:
ChipsteadQuin
Good game to watch .

I was not able to watch it live but it was totally compelling on replay even though I knew the score

Adey (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 15:24
It was the same old stuff from Marler, Care and especially Sinkler. Really niggly, little bit cheap and it had the desired effect. They got under our skin so fair play to them. Itís always the same story against your team itís never on, but when itís your own players getting away with it itís ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net