rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Worcester Warriors Homeless
Innings (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:02
Yes, that's what the team is called.
It appears that the growing homelessness problem in Worcester has encouraged the Warriors' community programme to set up a rugby training programme for homeless people in the area. All ages, shapes sizes, levels of skill or none, male or female form the team. The problems are that they cannot join a league, so have to get matches however they can. Their ambition is a homeless players' league including Bristol, Gloucester, Bath and various Welsh franchises within a two hour drive. I wish them well.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: Worcester Warriors Homeless
flavman 35 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:17
Brilliant. Well done worcester

JO'G (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:59
I've not noticed a homeless problem in Worcester when I visit

on the other hand I live in reading (biggest homless number in britain) and work in London so my expectation of sleeping bags on the ground is probalby higher than most people

Harbinger (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:30
In this 'all inclusive' society we live in its probably a great idea.

But I would have thought the time and effort involved would be best spent helping them to be not homeless in the first place ? .........

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 13:10
Harlequins homeless anybody?

And before the "outraged" start posting, yes I do know there's a big homelessness issue in London....

Waldo (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 13:23
I wasn't aware there was a big homeless problem in Windsor

Do you not think it a bit ironic that for the Royal Wedding they moved on the homeless only to replace them with folks that spent a week outside in a sleeping bag to get a good position !

Innings (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 13:27
Is this really turning into a debate about "My town has a bigger homeless problem than yours"? The point is that Worcester has a problem, and that the Warriors are doing something for its victims. The team is already proving to give structure, purpose and ambition beyond drink, drugs, violence on the streets. They are already seeing people on the programme getting self-respect, which enables them to address addictions and other issues. Then they can get work, which enables them to get proper long-term housing, and thus break the downward spiral.

So, Yes there are other places with equal or greater numbers of homeless. Yes, there are other programmes that try to address the problem. But, and this is what matters, Worcester Warriors are actually doing something, and that something seems to be having good results. So don't knock it, patronise it or belittle it, unless you yourself are actually doing something that is proven to work better.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

AP (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 21:10
In all these discussions, you need to define what you mean by "homeless". There's only about 8,000 rough sleepers in England & Wales.I doubt that many of them are in a condition to play rugby.

There's at least a million in temporary accommodation.

There's others in inadequate accommodation, such as teenage siblings (of the same sex or do I mean gender? help!) sharing a bedroom, which brings them within some definitions.

Weren't Saracens involved in something similar a few years ago? Sparks?

Good luck to Worcester with their initiative.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 21:05
Quote:
Innings
Is this really turning into a debate about "My town has a bigger homeless problem than yours"? The point is that Worcester has a problem, and that the Warriors are doing something for its victims. The team is already proving to give structure, purpose and ambition beyond drink, drugs, violence on the streets. They are already seeing people on the programme getting self-respect, which enables them to address addictions and other issues. Then they can get work, which enables them to get proper long-term housing, and thus break the downward spiral.
So, Yes there are other places with equal or greater numbers of homeless. Yes, there are other programmes that try to address the problem. But, and this is what matters, Worcester Warriors are actually doing something, and that something seems to be having good results. So don't knock it, patronise it or belittle it, unless you yourself are actually doing something that is proven to work better.

Apologies Innings - I enjoy and respect your posts but please if you are going to go "righteous" on us then get it right (no pun intended). My point is that (ref your last sentence), charitable efforts do not just count if, and I quote, they are "proven to work better" That's utter nonsense. Charity is charity not a bloody "mine's better than yours" competition

For what it's worth I support a homeless charity that I became engaged with around Victoria where I work and where there are a disturbing number of rough sleepers/homeless/dispossed, call them what you will. I am also planning on producing a book of images & stories about these people who are massively misunderstood in terms of "how did they get there" - working title.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net