rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

OT: World Mental Health Day - a polite ask
Barty II (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 16:51
Evening fellow fans,

Given its world mental health day its probably the best time to make my shameless plea to you all. This time next year, myself and my far more capable better half will be travelling to China to do a 5 day trek along the Great Wall. As part of this we are raising money for the mental health charity, Mind.

I wonít bore you with all the guff about what they do, and the spiel on mental health, itís rightfully headline news, particularly in the world of professional rugby. Plenty to read from many sources if youíre interested.

Should any of you be feeling particularly charitable thereís a link at the bottom to our justgiving page for the fundraiser - would be very grateful for any donations however small. Been given a pretty large target by Mind!

Early days in our fundraising yet, whether the club itself or the SSA or whatever would go for helping us out in any way I donít know, so if anyoneís got some good ideas for raising money for a good cause my ears/eyes are open!

Thanks in advance, and apologies to the mods if this is an inappropriate use of the board!

Matt

Great Wall of China Charity Challenge

Re: OT: World Mental Health Day - a polite ask
Barty II (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 06:41
...that went down well (Sm22)

Roger G (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 07:59
Nothing personal Barty, and definitely no offence intended, but I always see this kind of request as "please pay for me to enjoy myself" - you actually mention it as being on your partner's bucket list so you'd probably be doing it anyway, charity appeal or not. The money you'll be spending getting you and your partner to China would go a long way if donated to the charity instead, and would better represent a sacrifice for you than ticking off a bucket-list item.

Having said that, the charity you've chosen is a worthy cause, and I'll probably drop a fiver in the next bucket of theirs I see as penance for speaking my mind (no pun intended) here.

Barty II (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:48
Quote:
Roger G
Nothing personal Barty, and definitely no offence intended, but I always see this kind of request as "please pay for me to enjoy myself" - you actually mention it as being on your partner's bucket list so you'd probably be doing it anyway, charity appeal or not. The money you'll be spending getting you and your partner to China would go a long way if donated to the charity instead, and would better represent a sacrifice for you than ticking off a bucket-list item.
Having said that, the charity you've chosen is a worthy cause, and I'll probably drop a fiver in the next bucket of theirs I see as penance for speaking my mind (no pun intended) here.

All very valid and I shared your exact concern of it looking like "pay for me please" when the mrs explained it to me. Partly made to feel more comfortable by the fact that the way it's arranged, the cost of travel is somewhat reduced compared to if we funded it ourselves. The charity themselves put my mind at ease when they said from their angle, they receive more donations in the long run by subsidising people to do these things out of the raised funds simply because of people like me who wouldn't have anywhere near the funding required to do something like this without a bit of financial help. Couldn't entertain it, therefore wouldn't be raising that few grand for charity, so they lose out as well.

Short answer is if we don't meet the £5400 target, the charity get every penny and we'd have to fund the trip fully from our own pocket or just not go, so there's not a situation where we're "quids in" thankfully. Absolute minimum the charity gets if we do meet the target is somewhere between 50-55% - and we're obviously saving to put as much of our own money in the pot as possible too.

All that said, it's a cause that I (and presumably many in the rugby world) believe in and want to help out so if you do manage to stick a fiver in a bucket for them at some point (can also do this on their website) then I'd greatly appreciate that all the same

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net