rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Nathan Hughes Hearing
Garp285 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 09:18
No, he's not going deaf - I don't think! Strange goings on at his disciplinary hearing into the punching incident in the Glaws game. The Grauniad reporting "Nathan Hughes must wait up to a week to find out if he can play any part in England’s autumn series after his disciplinary hearing for punching was postponed in mysterious circumstances.". Suspended until after the hearing, which is unlikely to be before next week. Intrigued. Any thoughts? Possible mitigation/provocation?

Re: Nathan Hughes Hearing
Waldo (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 10:09
Perhaps the relevant biscuits were out of stock and the next delivery is a week away .

Mysterious circumstances does sound rather odd !

The Telegraph is quoting "the panel released a statement saying that it would not be able to make a decision until it had “dealt with an issue” that had arisen."

Curiouser & Curiouser !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 10:11 by Waldo.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 10:55
Just read in the Mail that apparently he posted a tweet in the middle of the hearing and it could be related to that!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:17
If it's in the Mail, it MUST be true (Sm22)

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:00
Quote:
TonyTaff
If it's in the Mail, it MUST be true (Sm22)
I really had to deliberate whether to post the source or not for that one!

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:57
He certainly tweeted then deleted it last night, there's a screen shot of it on the Wasps board. Whether or not it has anything to do with it is anyone's guess at this point.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 13:38
Ooh, is that worse than eating the garibaldi's? (Sm159)

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 13:56
The gist of it seem s to be that he Tweeted the following during (or perhaps shortly after) the hearing. If so it will put munching biscuits inappropriately well into the shade methinks! May get a lengthy additional ban if this is shown to be the case.

https://content.screencast.com/users/cotswoldphoto/folders/Jing/media/fd0a61f0-e412-41ec-8401-c6d2a2e80194/2018-10-10_2104.png

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 14:00
I'm amazed at the number of people online that think he should be let off. He punched someone in the head, sure Ludlow was leaning on him. But I doubt that will count for much in way of mitigating circumstances.
Or even that he should be let off because the guy he punched should have been sent off earlier so it's actually the ref's fault he got punched...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 14:01 by Sarriebone.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 14:10
Everyone changes tune when its one of their own

European champions 2016 & 2017

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 14:47
Is it worse that he was tweeting during the disciplinary or that one of the panel (or their flunkies) was checking twitter and saw it??

My Goddaughter isn't allowed a phone till she's older. Can't help feel that some rugby players might benefit from that too.

Gryff (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 14:57
isn't it more likely that an RFU flunky was contacted by say the Mail to comment on the tweet which was then taken to the panel who decided to suspend the hearing to consider further charges of bringing the game in disrepute.

The Bard (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 17:12
Perhaps he’s following Joe Marler’s lead and trying to make sure he is banned for England games...

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 15:46
Panel reconvenes next Wednesday - he remains suspended

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 04:43
I blame all this uncontrolled twittering on The Donald. Come to think of it I blame everything that is rubbish on The Donald! (Sm6)

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 17:45
As we dont seem to have any number 8’s available for England I wonder if he’ll just get 2 weeks?!

European champions 2016 & 2017

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
17 October, 2018 21:51
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
As we dont seem to have any number 8’s available for England I wonder if he’ll just get 2 weeks?!

He's not Martin Johnson (Sm22)

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

paulglynn (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 01:05
6 week ban

Waldo (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 05:35
Cov Telegraph says at the conclusion of the original hearing Wasps were told not to put anything on social media until after the press release and Hughes immediately left the hearing and did just that !

Silly boy .

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 06:47
Feel sorry for Wasps and to a lesser extent England but as Waldo says what a daft chap.

AP (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 08:12
The decision is here and makes quite a read - he really messed things up!

Though whether this full on legal process is really the best way to run a professional sport is another question.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Innings (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 10:37
Quote from the disciplinary finding:

"Where the Player had previously been given credit for a guilty plea, remorse and good conduct, the Panel found that that mitigation had been given on a false premise."

So, IMHO, the only difference between Hughes and every other player who ever appears is that he was badly coached before the hearing.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 11:41
Quote:
Innings

So, IMHO, the only difference between Hughes and every other player who ever appears is that he was badly coached before the hearing.

I think it's more likely that the initial hearing went as planned but he still got a ban, he then tweeted that the decision was a joke (assumed that's what the tweet was about) The panel then decided that he wasn't really remorseful and was only saying that for the purpose of getting a reduce ban.

I have to say the idea of pleading guilty and getting an automatic reduction is a ludicrous idea. A guilty plea should do nothing more than speed up proceedings.

The Bard (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 13:16
One slight concern is the reference to whether or not he was in the England squad and what matches count. With Loz picked for England, who don’t play next week does that effectively increase his van?

Gryff (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 14:18
I believe as he was with Saracens when the ban occurred then Saracens games count so he misses Lyon and Tigers, even though he'd unlikely to have been selected for Tigers in the Prem Cup

Waldo (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 16:03
So is it a 2 week ban or a 2 game ban in reality ?

AP (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 19:14
Quote:
Waldo
So is it a 2 week ban or a 2 game ban in reality ?

Yes!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net