rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A COMEDY OF ERRORS

Latest: SARACENS 34 ; 22 WORCESTER WARRIORS
Next: Saracens v Sale Sharks Sat 17th Nov, 13.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Leicester Tigers v Saracens, Sun 25th Nov 15.00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Poll: Music during breaks in play.
Waldo (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 09:00

Saracens V Lyon featured music pretty much every break in play . In your view was it......

Absolutely fine - carry on
OK but a little too much - tone it down a bit.
Annoying and not necessary - Stop it.
Too Loud
Stopping the crowd building its own atmosphere

You must be logged in to vote.

105 Votes

Show results

At the Saracens v Lyon game in my view there was an inordinate amount of music played in seemingly every break in play.

Personally I found it annoying but then again I am Victor Meldrew !

So I set up a poll as i'd like to know what others thought.

Re: Poll: Music during breaks in play.
#wolfpack (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 10:17
The music was a welcome relief as it drowned out the drumming that began at kick off and finished at full time

mfc (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 10:58
What is it with the drums??? Two sets during, a halftime show and in the Olympic bar afterwards. I thought I suffering tinnitus

RobB (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 11:58
Quote:
mfc
What is it with the drums??? Two sets during, a halftime show and in the Olympic bar afterwards. I thought I suffering tinnitus

It's like a Christmas re-run of Zulu.

Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 12:25
Those drums are boring now. I don’t mind the chaps and chappet who have done the drums for years they’re good in my books but the drumming group who we have had at every home game this season. It all sounds the same, it’s too loud and it’s boring. Make it stop!

Innings (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 12:29
I wonder whether they decided to have different local contributions for each match and then couldn't find any others.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:10
Where was our usual announcer??

Steve Robo (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:32
OTT WWF style announcer got on my nerves, music in every break ditto, I come to watch Saracens and not for our diluted support drowned out by a load of innane drivel.
Probably realised that by reclassifying gold seats to platinum they would be spreading core supporters all over the place so compensate by making their own noise. who needs noisy support if thats the case.
Still bitter and getting grumpier especially when the Sarries support in Glasgow was loud and proud and Glasgow didnt try any of our noisy nonsense

Adey (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 18:41
The old drummers were annoying enough, the new ones were relentless.

Graeme D (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:06
Quote:
Darraghgirl
At a wedding !

nicsue (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:19
It's not the pre match entertainment drummers that annoy, it is the four fellas who don't seem to do tunes, just a continual thwacking of the drums. If they were much nearer to me I would have had words.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:54
Boky Keith & Joseph our original fezboy drimmers are fine why the club decided to employ another 4 is a mystery!
The drum troupe are,I’m sure,very good,but every week?? No thanks
Still have nightmares about twisted tubes! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

mrangry (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 06:02
Known Keith and Boke for years, no probs with them at all, nor with French sides bands, most of whom are not that good at all. Or the Ospreys when they had the children's choir. But two groups of annoying and unneccesary drummers- NO. Tghe larger seems to be a "community group" which were barely tolerably when they paraded round the ground before a match (last deason) making conversation all but impossible, but now are just plain annoying. Ant the four youngsters- not that good either- just seem to be showing off. Suggest that the club does a surveyt of what proper fans want in that direction, but that wouldn't work as the club seems more interested in the "community" than the fans.
And Waldo, I am much more like Meldrew than you, both physically and in attitude, but should that be another thread?

PhillFez (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 07:19
The announcer sounded like his day job was voicing second rate cinema adverts for local businesses. AND he couldn't pronounce Schalk 😖

Contender for VM

BigBri (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 07:30
I was waiting for him to say "In the Blue corner we have Lyonnnnnn and in the Black corner your champions SARACENNNNNNNNSSSS!

Burning the Boards London Style

[images.google.co.uk]

london pride (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 09:16
The announcer also needs to learn a little about the stadium as well, when they were throwing and firing the tee shirts into the crowd in the East stand, continuously calling it the North.

daz_71 (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 11:16
Quote:
london pride
The announcer also needs to learn a little about the stadium as well, when they were throwing and firing the tee shirts into the crowd in the East stand, continuously calling it the North.

I heard him continuously refer to the East stand as the West stand - made me think he'd never stepped foot in the place before.

I also thought he introduced us as European Champions but maybe I mis-heard that. Anyway whatever - he was annoying, The tribal drummers have been annoying all season, the 4 young drummers are just trying to look cool (and is there a need for them to be banging away on the walk up to the entrance - Leisure Centre side). It was good to see Keith and crew see them off at half time as they seemed to relocate in the 2nd half.

nedrichards (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 14:21
fwiw at the games she's been to this season my daughter has really enjoyed the music. Repeated requests for the "sarries playlist" in the week after the game, so if it's the four year old vote they're after - the club are doing well!

villagesarrie (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 14:47
I find the music in every single break in play annoying, intrusive and juvenile, as if we are incapable of waiting for the play to resume without some form of entertainment and sometimes the music starts up even if the players are just heading towards a lineout...unnecessary. But, even more annoying for me, is watching the TV cameramen following the players around filming on the field for what seems like forever after they've scored a try or done something they shouldn't have. Don't they (the players) find it really intrusive and off putting? I do and I'm in the stand.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 19:36
Quote:
Darraghgirl
At a wedding.
Replacement guy sounded like a TV talk show MC. Really OTT.

Dont mind the drummers so much but the choice of music on Saturday was just not uplifting! Just loud and annoying!

ardea (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 07:24
I rarely post on here, but did consider starting a thread on the racket accompanying the games, but I’ll have my 2p-worth here.

Firstly, I hate the “music” played at every stoppage in the game and find it extremely irritating. It is switched on even for the few seconds while teams move to the lineout!!

And what is it about the effing drumming? We’ve now got a bunch of people prancing about in clown costumes banging drums, the people in fezzes banging on the touchline and a new set of 4 who are loud and completely OTT! This is all nonsense and really detracts from my enjoyment of going to watch games.

I spend my hard earned cash going to Sarries to watch some decent rugby, have a drink and a natter, not be assailed by a cacophony of useless noise.

I’ll try taking earplugs next week, and if that doesn’t work will consider just staying at home watching on the telly and spending my money elsewhere - and that’s from a long time season ticket holder.

23 October, 2018 09:24
Went to the NFL at wembley on sunday and they too have music between breaks & ads on big screen,but its just done so much better & more professionally!!
Our PA system seems to get louder & content worse!

Waldo (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 10:03
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Went to the NFL at wembley on sunday and they too have music between breaks & ads on big screen,but its just done so much better & more professionally!!
Our PA system seems to get louder & content worse!

Ah - but there is much more dead time to kill in an NFL game . (Sm100)

Info below courtesy of QZ.com

An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes. Part of the discrepancy has to do with the basic rules of American football.

Info below courtesy of Telegraph.co.uk

Although a rugby match is 80 minutes long, the ball is actually in play for only 35 minutes. There are normally around 221 crunching tackles in every game.

23 October, 2018 11:45
Agree Waldo.....their content during breaks in play is much more varied!

GerryK (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 11:54
Just wonder what the players feel about the incessant noise

23 October, 2018 14:02
Even shutting it off at right time would be a start!

Old Curmudgeon (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 07:51
Were I a synic I might think that these drummers were there to overshadow those less flamboyant percussionists who have followed the team for years.

If you watch this deafening troupe closely, there is a wall of “look at me” arm wavers in front of the engine room behind pretty much like “ boy/girl bands with instruments out front whilst the real band are grinding it out in the shadows.

The hardcore fans are taken for granted whilst the challenge is to get the next generation in and the focus has shifted away from family encouragement and loyalty to corporate bribery, d list entertainers, Mexican waves et al. All hugely distracting and insulting to the players.

So will the future be noise, pyrotechnics, tee shirt guns and God knows what else whilst a game of rugby might continue in the car park.

01 November, 2018 08:08
We always have a pre season beer in town during summer & we got chatting to a guy who followed ‘the fabulous fezheads’ & had just been to see them perform!
Supporters from vicarage road will remember them well smiling smiley
Wouldnt it be good to bring them back to AZP for a one off performance!

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 15:35
Blimey are they still going. Some of them appeared ancient back in 1998/9 when we first started supporting at VR.(Sm124)

Waldo (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 20:11
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Blimey are they still going. Some of them appeared ancient back in 1998/9 when we first started supporting at VR.(Sm124)

Perhaps it's a case of Triggers Broom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net