rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A COMEDY OF ERRORS

Latest: SARACENS 34 ; 22 WORCESTER WARRIORS
Next: Saracens v Sale Sharks Sat 17th Nov, 13.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Leicester Tigers v Saracens, Sun 25th Nov 15.00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Season extension
Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 07:48
When this was first mooted by PRL I thought it was a bit of sabre rattling in order to get more from the RFU it does look though as if this may happen.
Cue yet more people leaving the game if it starts to interfere with the summer proper i.e ,cricket, holiday, sun etc....
With the complete co*k up we are likely to get for the start of the season in RWC19 I can see my 'emotional disengagement' getting more and more obvious!

Report from the Grauniad.
[www.theguardian.com]

Re: Season extension
Innings (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 11:17
As I understand it, the plan is that from 2020 onwards the season will begin on 1 July and end on 30 September each year. In order to fit in all the games required, certain games will played once each calendar year but will form part of that year's programme as well as the preceding year's. In years preceding WRC years, such games may, at the discretion of the RFU also be included as part of the following year's programme. Club owners have rejected the latter idea, because although they will be happy to be able to charge supporters for two games whilst playing one, they will not yet know the price of the oncoming year's tickets and will thus lose out on being able to charge three times for the same game whilst enjoying the increment for the future season's increases.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 12:23
Not sure really it makes a huge amount of difference - last years final was on the 26th May anyway, wasnt it? They are saying now it will be on the 1st June. Six days difference. At least the boys will actually get an enforced rest week when there will be no games mid season. Pre season always started 1st July - unless they were off with England in June. School holidays for most kids dont start until Mid July anyway - around 15th. It will clash with the cricket world cup - but that goes on for well over a month! I'm sure one day wont make a difference! Chelsea Flower show will have finished and there isnt any football then is there?

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Innings
As I understand it, the plan is that from 2020 onwards the season will begin on 1 July and end on 30 September each year. In order to fit in all the games required, certain games will played once each calendar year but will form part of that year's programme as well as the preceding year's. In years preceding WRC years, such games may, at the discretion of the RFU also be included as part of the following year's programme. Club owners have rejected the latter idea, because although they will be happy to be able to charge supporters for two games whilst playing one, they will not yet know the price of the oncoming year's tickets and will thus lose out on being able to charge three times for the same game whilst enjoying the increment for the future season's increases.

I'm struggling to understand this, a 3 month season from July 1st to end of September and that's it?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 13:37
BBC Link,,,

The next three English domestic rugby union seasons will include in-season breaks, with players limited to a maximum of 35 matches per campaign.

The measures, beginning 2019-20, are designed to protect players during a demanding schedule that includes the 2019 World Cup and 2021 British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa.

However, the domestic season has been extended, with 2019-20 running from 21 September to 20 June, although a "mandatory five-week post-season rest" period is also in place.

The key announcements include:

Guaranteed in-season breaks for players in each of the three seasons.
Mandatory five-week post-season rest for all players, which includes two weeks' absolute rest and three weeks' active rest.
Minimum 10 weeks off/pre-season for players in the England Senior Elite Player Squad.
Minimum 12 weeks between the Premiership final and round one of the following league season.
Maximum 35 match involvements (more than 20 minutes) in any one season for all players.
Maximum 30 full game equivalents (reduced from 32) in any one season for all players.
England players to have a mandatory rest week if playing all international matches and more than 65% of total minutes (reduced from 80%).
"This new agreement gives players guaranteed in-season breaks for the first time and reduces playing thresholds, while protecting the five-week post-season break that was already in place," said Rugby Players' Association chief executive Damian Hopley.

"It is fundamental that players had their say in the shaping of this new season structure and I must commend the hard-work and diligence of the RPA players' board throughout this lengthy process."

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

mrangry (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 14:06
Is it me or is this just the RFU? Have the owners ben consulted, has Premiership rugby agreed? What about the other European leagues? This is the opposite of what should have happened, all Internationals within a season of their own and a unified domestic season- no play offs, 30 weeks max. Be very interesting to see what the actual outcome is, but doesn't this veer towards Nigel's Summer Rugby anyway?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 14:08
A disgusting compromise. Clubs with loads of internationals will be byggered, with no compensation.

And you thought our Brexit negotiators were incompetent (Sm22)!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/10/2018 15:00 by TonyTaff.

nedrichards (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 14:34
mrangry: This is the RFU, Premier Rugby and the Players Union joint agreement. So yes, all the actors within English Rugby have agreed. And from the guardian:

Quote:
Twickenham will host the finals on 20, 26 and 18 June for the years 2020-22 with the campaigns starting on 20 October, 12 September and 18 September, respectively.

Which is certainly later than the end of May.

darktagnan (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 18:53
where does that leave us with the temp seats on the athletics track? There will clearly be quite a bit of season overlap on the dates I've seen

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 18:58
Quote:
darktagnan
where does that leave us with the temp seats on the athletics track? There will clearly be quite a bit of season overlap on the dates I've seen

That the next part of Lucy Ltds seating plan. Raise the prices in the East stand again whilst removing all the temporary seating?

mrangry (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 05:53
Sorry I didn't make myself clear in first rant. Although the McCaffertys and Hopleys agreed, I wonder if the players were polled, did the majority of them agree? They may be actors but they are not players. And the Guardian this morning rightly says the South African Lions tour could be adversely affected, the summer sports could object and players still burn out. This is no more than relentless greed from the RFU down,or up as the RFU is really RF Useless and thinks only of itself. Why has nobody thought of asking the fans. How many of our (dwindling) hard core support want such a season?

maynas (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 07:39
Worst of all after Lions tours, players involved have a compulsory 10 week rest period. If that included pre season they won’t be fit to play till October. Frankly for me the Lions seems to only exist to make money for the Southern Hemisphere unions and we could happily lose it and give the players one summer off in 4

NickL (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 18:27
I'm wondering whether this extension to the end of the season is a way of Premiership Rugby and the RFU putting pressure on the other unions to give up the two rest weekends in the 6 Nations. Then they could have two weeks back at the end of the season.

How is this going to work for Saracens? The temporary stands need to be taken down to make way for athletics in the summer as a planning condition, so does that mean we can't play our last Premiership match and any semi-final at home?

Garp285 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 19:32
Quote:
maynas
Worst of all after Lions tours, players involved have a compulsory 10 week rest period. If that included pre season they won’t be fit to play till October. Frankly for me the Lions seems to only exist to make money for the Southern Hemisphere unions and we could happily lose it and give the players one summer off in 4
I like your optimism maynas but that'll never happen. It'll just be replaced by national tours! Even more games for more players with less interest. Personally I'd hate to lose the Lions.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Garp285
Quote:
maynas
I like your optimism maynas but that'll never happen. It'll just be replaced by national tours! Even more games for more players with less interest. Personally I'd hate to lose the Lions.

+1

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

BigBri (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 11:23
I am wondering whether the fans were consulted or thought about in the decision making? Personally I like the summer break starting from June and don't want the season impinging on my summer holidays

Burning the Boards London Style

[images.google.co.uk]

Rupes (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 11:41
I put somewhere on another thread that I didn't think the Unions et al could sort this out - as much as I think there is some good coming out of this, I'm not sure they've got it 100% right!

This link from Guardian Online is calling for an independent panel, which I totally agree with re injuries: This will run and run...

Rupes (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 11:48
And another thing...

...the Lions. Again from Guardian Online, interesting comments from Mark McCafferty. The last para blows it all out of the water, it all comes back to money (ie competition formats aren't changing because we're paid lots of cash by tv companies). Then platitude about the game evolving. Premieship Rugby's view

I refer to my comments of another thread, ie this whole thing needs proper leadership from World Rugby.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 16:33
Funny how many comments including those from people actively involved with the Lions are saying it's all about money with the Premiership. Not saying they're wrong but I must have missed the bit where the Lions was run as a charitable trust although tbf it probably deserves that status for bailing out the three big SH Unions on a semi-regular basis.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 17:40
I believe everyone is in favour of a season where the major club competitions don't clash with International windows and players don't get over played. It hasn't happened yet with the new proposals but it's a step on the road and if it was easy then it would have happened already.

If meeting those aims means the season goes on 4 or so weeks longer then there are pluses in that for fans.

If it means the Lions suffer then that is a big shame but something is going to have to give.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 20:46
Time to do it the other way round and split the stadium revenue.

Every four years one of the SH top 3 get to visit with the Lions at home.

They get a 10 match fixture list to be completed over 6 weeks a fortnight after their domestic season ends. It cumulates with them playing the B&I Lions at Twickenham, Millenium Stadium, Murrayfield and the Aviva. The 6 club games to be against Munster, Scarlets, Exeter, Glasgow, Leinster and Saracens.

We'll be generous and chuck them say £4M and another £2M towards costs and that should suit them fine as it obviously "works" for us currently.

mrangry (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 07:05
Back in the days, Sarrie Saint, the SH teams used to tour, staying in Britain for several months, getting huge crowds and playing "odd" teams as well as each home nation and the BaaBaas. It worked. Llanelli beat the ABs in 1971, the North at Otley in 1979. The "greatest try ever" BaaBaas ABs 1973. What has changed is the attitude of Twickenham and the RFU, just out to pack the ground as often as possible and to hell with the clubs. What if the rest of the world did decide on an International Season, and only England was left out? It is, simply, money; and it would be a very good thing if the rest of the world did do something, if only to spite the new old farts at HQ, so they realised that clubs are the backbone of rugby, not deals with TV and money for Twickenham.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 14:00
McCafferty speaks with forked tongue re the Lions. There are too many snouts in English Rugby's trough, and some of them belong to very big pigs!

I can't believe that any Celtic players, who are in with a shout of getting on the 2021 Lions tour, wanting to be contracted to an English club in June 2021.

Unless Sanjay's girlfriend's modelling career is still going well, I fear that we will lose him before then.

The players love the Lions tours[1] (so do I). These proposals will relegate English participation to the dirttrackers, at least until the second test. That would risk repeating Clive Woodforbrains' mistakes of 2005.

[1] Apart from 2005!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2018 13:35 by TonyTaff.

JO'G (IP Logged)
31 October, 2018 09:17
there was some conjecture that the RFU should take over the premiership

but with the RFU strapped for cash and the Premiership flush with venture capital money, perhaps a reverse takeover might work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net