rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
SARRIES ARE REMAINERS!

Latest: CARDIFF BLUES 14:26 SARACENS
Next: Exeter Chiefs v Saracens Sat 22nd Dec, 15.00 Sandy Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Exeter Chiefs v Saracens, Sat 22nd Dec 14.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Interesting article about protective head wear
King Zak (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 08:53
As rugby continues to evolve regarding ‘player welfare’, I can see this becoming mandatory for age group rugby. It’s the process cricket went through and helmets are now universally worn (almost!)

[www.skysports.com]

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Re: Interesting article about protective head wear
JO'G (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 11:51
or put another way, you can hit them twice as hard now

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 18:58
Quote:
JO'G
or put another way, you can hit them twice as hard now

Which has been evidenced in NFL games. The players develop a sense of invincibility and actually lead with their heads in tackles and to be quite blunt they make many rugby players look distinctly average in size.
Junior plays and when tackles are made you wince even more so than top flight rugby. Even in the UK the majority of training is geared towards a significant reduction in the level/volume of tackles being made whilst wearing headgear.
All, quite rightly to reduce the incidence of impact on the head.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 20:31
If it's a soft helmet like a scrum cap then great. If it's a hard helmet like the NFL then absolutely not, you watch NFL players and they use the helmet as a weapon, rugby players would do the same to try to dislodge the ball in the tackle. Introduce the helmet you have to introduce pads, mobility greatly decreases as a result.

Also yes concussion is a big problem in rugby but it's far bigger in the NFL at 99% in a study having CTEs. NFL helmets are not the solution

Innings (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 12:21
I read that even the slight slowing down of impact given by a generously padded scrum-cap type of headwear makes a significant difference, something to do with e=mcsquared.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 13:41
Quote:
Innings
I read that even the slight slowing down of impact given by a generously padded scrum-cap type of headwear makes a significant difference, something to do with e=mcsquared.

I'd like to understand this more as it is often stated but I have never seen any authoritative source. My limited Physics suggests to me that it is not the energy loss mv2 - mu2 but the impulse Ft = mv - mu of collisions, particularly their angular equivalents, that have the potential to cause harm. Can anyone reference the science? From what I can see the padding would increase the duration of any impact t and thus reduce the force F but do nothing to alter the energy loss.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 16:40
You're not far off Sara'sman.

The parameter that affects the brain will be stress which is in itself a function of force. Force is indeed linked to the impulse but a more accurate way to express this would be that force is equal to rate of change of momentum (where momentum is mass times velocity) this is Newton's second law. To say that one or other of momentum or energy is more important would be unwise as they are not independent factors and are intrinsically linked to one another through force, with work done (energy) being equal to the force times the distance over which the force is transferred.

The effect of a helmet is to increase the time over which a collision ocvers reducing rate of change of momentum and therefore decreasing the force. This intrinsically must also increase the distance over which the collision occurs to achieve the same kinetic energy change. You cannot change the energy loss as mass is constant, initial velocity is unchanged and final velocity is 0 (likewise you cannot change the momentum) . What you can change is the force imparted by these changes in momentum and energy and one way to do this is to increase the time of collision. The question of whether rugby headwear is any good at this I can't answer.

The issue with NFL helmets is that they are very big and give a sense of invincibility, leading to more head collisions and head collisions with higher energy and momentum. This has the effect of more than cancelling out the improved collision time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2018 16:43 by vunipolae.

NickL (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 19:48
While a headguard would seem to be useful in reducing cuts and damage from a straight-on impact, isn't there some evidence from amateur boxing that by giving a longer lever and bigger target it could possibly lead to worse concussions and neck injuries?

KooGs (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 14:30
Exactly, when I coached age group rugby I found 2 things; 1. children who wore head protectors [scrum caps] usually led with their heads in to tackles, and 2. parents believed they protected them from concussion and alike. As far as I'm aware, any direct force to the head whether wearing a scrum cap or not will cause concussion. I'm willing to be corrected

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 15:26
The intrinsic problem with concussion is that it's caused by the impact of the brain on the inside of the skull, a function of the rapid deceleration caused by the collision. The small, but measurable change in this deceleration gained by wearing a scrum cap actually does little to help with this. That said, I would be in favour of age group rugby wearing scrum caps, possibly with more padding than currently available. Hard shells as per NFL are an absolute no no.

King Zak (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 19:11
Well, the scientific research suggests it’s a good idea. I’m happy to go with that.

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net