rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Saracens v Tigers
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 11:48
England team selection now confirmed with the surprise (?) Inclusion of Manu Tuilagi.

Tigers - Tuilagi, May, Ford, Youngs
Saracens - Faz, Jamie G, Wiggy and Itoje

I can't see much option for us other than to put Loz straight in at 10. No chance of him playing 13 when Nick Tompkins is doing so well and we're obviously short of players.

Other than that an unchanged 23 with Malins dropping out. Same bench as last week. The only other wrinkle is whether or not van Zyl features in any capacity but that is an unknown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2018 11:50 by GazzaFez.

Re: Saracens v Tigers
Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 11:59
we might need to find a winger to replace wyles this weekend

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Brighty_Fez
we might need to find a winger to replace wyles this weekend

I hope not! The statement released by Saracens said that Chris Wyles had come out of retirement on a 'temporary basis' to cover the wing during the international period. I take that to mean he's available this week as well. Here's hoping!

The Bard (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 15:14
Unless Strettle is fit?

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 16:22
Quote:
The Bard
Unless Strettle is fit?

Last week he said he had broken a bone in his foot and would be out for another 4 weeks

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 17:25
Sirs for this one:

Referee: Karl Dickson
Assistant referees: Greg Macdonald, Simon Harding
Television match official: David Rose
Timekeeper: Malcolm Sinclair
Assessor: Martin Fox

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 18:01
I hope Rosey is declaring his rumeration properly winking smiley

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 18:23
Meow .....(Sm163)

Stopsy (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 17:09
Rumeration? Is that money you get for having 4 stomachs or for spreading hearsay?

Kevetty (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 17:29
Is Dickson on the line for Wales vs SA. If so hes a busy man!

AlanE (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 02:25
Quote:
Stopsy
Rumeration? Is that money you get for having 4 stomachs or for spreading hearsay?

(Sm22) or for successfully growing a Black Narcissus?

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 15:19
That Dan Cole is a dirty player. He's taken out two Tigers players already. smiling smiley

vunipolae (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:04
Am I warring rose tinted glasses or did the touch from earl clearly go backwards. If the ref judges it as a knock on then it should've been a penalty try though

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:33
No doubt howls of protest from Tigers about the ref, despite giving us two yellow cards. I'm in two minds about the result; total relief to get the win in the end but equally feel that at 3-21 up at one point we leave Welford Road with a TBP left on the pitch.

Woolstencroft needs to do some throwing practice, a couple of vital lineouts went missing today.

Whichever way you look at it we have done incredibly well during the AI period.

Also massive shout out to Alex Lozowski for a deserved MOTM performance on the wing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/11/2018 16:49 by GazzaFez.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:40
Quote:
vunipolae
Am I warring rose tinted glasses or did the touch from earl clearly go backwards. If the ref judges it as a knock on then it should've been a penalty try though

Young Harrow Sarrie said exactly the same thing - ball clearly went backwards. Having watched the replay from multiple angles I'm inclined to agree...

Oh well, a win is a win.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:47
Quote:
vunipolae

Irrespective of the detail of whether or not the ball went back or not I don't think I've ever seen a penalty try awarded from well outside the 22 especially as at least one pass would have been tried. It simply fails to meet the standard required to award a penalty try. The wording infers a near certainty and not merely quite probable.

As it happens that is pretty much exactly what the ref said ....."because of the distance".

Kevetty (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:51
Nerves somewhat shredded in those last 15 minutes! Great resilience in adversity. Good result and a win is a win! If Mark McCall is chuffed, so should we all be! thought Max Amlins had a good game as well - glad we stuck with him and gets more confidence and experience.

AP (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:57
It looked to me that the ball went back but that Earl then knocked on (at the second attempt, as it were) when he failed to gather it.

No idea if that means he had an intentional not knock on followed by an unintentional knock on or just one intentional knock on!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

nicsue (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:59
Another day when our young ones get some more experience.
Don't think we will be seeing Schalk Burger for a while.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 17:03
Huge performance. Maybe just me but I thought us a touch fortunate with the no penalty try but the team responded brilliantly as they did to the next sending off.

Great to see the coaches backing Malins rewarded with a strong performance especially as his channel was targetted all game. Great moments from Spencer, Lozo and Tompkins. Also thought that whilst Tigers had the better at both set pieces all of Sarries pack performed well.

Overall a huge pat on the back for having gone through the whole International period without dropping a game.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 17:07
For those of us with good memories any win at Tigers is still to be cherished. Had to go upstairs and do a suduko from 21-10 onwards, nerves wouldn't take it.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 22:23
Just watched the replay. When it got to the slow motion replay of the Ben Earl 'knock-on' I switched the sky plus box to play in slow motion i.e. a slow Mo of the slow Mo! It looks for all the world like the ball did in fact go backwards!!! After the ball bounced on the ground Ben had another grab at the ball and knocked it well forward on the second attempt so definitely a knock-on then but no yellow card and certainly no penalty try.

Waldo (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 09:21
I have to say fair play to the Tigers supporters - an Exeter supporter started a tread on Tigers board Tigers Robbed? and the majority seem to not take this view .

Roger G (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 13:30
IMHO things might have been a tad easier for us if a penalty try had been awarded. That way we would probably not have gone down to 13 men a few seconds later.

MickyWiz (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 19:45
Watching it live I wasn't convinced it went forward, just watched it again several times on the highlights programme and it still looks to me like it goes straight down and then bounces back so not any sort of knock on, deliberate or otherwise until Ben fumbles the second attempt to gather it. Wasn't ever reviewed under those terms though.

King Zak (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 20:40
Quote:
MickyWiz
Watching it live I wasn't convinced it went forward, just watched it again several times on the highlights programme and it still looks to me like it goes straight down and then bounces back so not any sort of knock on, deliberate or otherwise until Ben fumbles the second attempt to gather it. Wasn't ever reviewed under those terms though.

Im not sure about that. Most of the replays focused on Earl knocking the ball down, rather than the wider view of covering defenders. Certainly the last two or three were purely looking at the knock down.

Nous sommes l'arme noir et rouge !

Barnesy (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 21:26
Quote:
King Zak
Quote:
MickyWiz

Im not sure about that. Most of the replays focused on Earl knocking the ball down, rather than the wider view of covering defenders. Certainly the last two or three were purely looking at the knock down.

I Heard the ref say on tv something like - firstly I want to make sure it was a knock on then check to see if it should be a penalty try

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net