rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Who is the fastest?
nicsue (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 21:52
Discussion in our house today - who is the fastest Saracens player? We got it down to Ben Spencer or Alex Lozowski. Does anyone know the answer? Or maybe you have another idea.

Re: Who is the fastest?
jjpp12 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 22:01
I'm pretty sure Owen in a recent interview said Ali Crossdale was extremely fast, as he's looked in the Premiership Cup. In the regular first team - reckon it's a toss up between spencer and loz

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 22:20
Mako. Over short distances to Nandos!

Broken Record (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 11:40
Not sure there's a lot in it between Spenno and Loz, both are lightning quick. Having that kind of pace at 9 and 13 must scare the pants off the opposition. When you add a combination of Williams, Strettle, Goode, Tompkins, Maitland and Lewington (in the outside channels) you can imagine the nightmare it must be trying to defend against....and how entertaining it is to watch!

JO'G (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 11:42
Quote:
Broken Record
you can imagine the nightmare it must be trying to defend against....and how entertaining it is to watch!

boring, boring Sarries (Sm161)

nedrichards (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 12:44
Yeah, fastest over what distance. In the recent past I don't remember anyone feeling like they surged into a gap faster than Ashton (see a few of these [www.youtube.com] although I can't seem to easily find the one I'm thinking about where he comes from right wing to left to pop up in the 13 channel and score in front of the east stand) but despite the evidence of these video highlights I always felt that he could be caught over longer distances.

From the current squad Ben Spencer feels like the long distance fastest (I seem to remember being told that he'd clocked the fastest run of any player of the season on a kick chase a couple of years back) wheras Loz, whilst fast, feels more of a "surger". This could also of course be to do with the positions they tend to play, or the opportunities they get to show their functional speed in a match.

Obviously there has never been a faster Saracens player than Rodd 'the god' Penny: [www.youtube.com]

Roger G (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 13:36
Quote:
nedrichards
Obviously there has never been a faster Saracens player than Rodd 'the god' Penny
Has he got his breath back yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2018 13:36 by Roger G.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 13:50
Getting scientific (yawn) the distance is important but I would also offer up a handicap system and therefore over shorter runs it's this fella at 1.08 in the video (Bath again btw)

SPEEDING BULLET?

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 08:42
Rod Penny is by far the fastest player I have seen I think in a Sarries shirt. Lightning quick.

nedrichards (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 15:48
@F-F-F-FEZ I'd agree with you! There's actually a really nice bit of analytics on this done for NFL running backs called 'Speed Score', which they're able to calculate because of the recruiting madness of the NFL combine where all the prospects are tested:

[www.footballoutsiders.com]

Now, when you think about it through that lens I agree with you about Jamie! However you might also want to consider this contribution from a player who was Sarries only in a 'heads of terms' fashion: [www.youtube.com] (that game was one of the most exciting, emotional and passionate games I remember attending as a Sarries fan, the highlights are well worth 6 minutes of your time [www.youtube.com] )

John Tee (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 21:56
Depends on the useful distance.
In the NFL, I think their standard measuring distance is 40 yes and iirc 4.1 was exceptional..

I know Wade said he was the fastest in the league but I'd be surprised if Saracens fastest player wasn't a wing.

Broken Record (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 09:01
That's an odd (and slightly crass) statement for Wade to make (did he really say that or is it hearsay?). He normally comes across as an incredibly talented and humble fella who just gets on with stuff....particularly when it's obvious to all and sundry that Johnny May is quicker (albeit unproven). At Sarries, the normal perception that wingers are the quickest players, may still ring true but as Spenno and Lozo proved on Sunday, there's scarry pace right across the backline which is what makes them so dangerous and so very entertaining to watch.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 12:12
Quote:
John Tee
Depends on the useful distance.
In the NFL, I think their standard measuring distance is 40 yes and iirc 4.1 was exceptional..

I know Wade said he was the fastest in the league but I'd be surprised if Saracens fastest player wasn't a wing.

When did he say that?

John Tee (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 12:37
Quote:
Broken Record
That's an odd (and slightly crass) statement for Wade to make (did he really say that or is it hearsay?). He normally comes across as an incredibly talented and humble fella who just gets on with stuff....particularly when it's obvious to all and sundry that Johnny May is quicker (albeit unproven). At Sarries, the normal perception that wingers are the quickest players, may still ring true but as Spenno and Lozo proved on Sunday, there's scarry pace right across the backline which is what makes them so dangerous and so very entertaining to watch.

He didn't say it like that, just that he was asked was there anyone faster and he didn't think there was.

I assume sprinter types would have clocked speeds but of course, there are other factors in that so what does that mean across clubs?

He wasn't bragging but he was asked in Bt sports interview, iirc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2018 12:42 by John Tee.

nedrichards (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 15:08
With Wade going to the NFL we might find out a 40 time at least! May claims some very fast 'moment in time' results of 10.49m/s in 2017 [www.independent.co.uk]

Famously Wade did a 10.8 100m when he was 16 and Brendan Macken claims he was getting above 11m/s on the GPS

Quote:
"He's going about 11 metres per second [at top speed
and I don't think any other rugby player is touching that. The really, really quick guys would be getting 10.5 or 10.6 while Christian is regularly getting 11 and sometimes hitting 11.1 and 11.2. He's an ex-sprinter and he's a guy who should have plenty more England caps."]

In short, they're both quick!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 15:53
I read many years ago that Rory Underwood was faster than Linford Christie was over an officially timed 60m course.

In rugby speed and more importantly acceleration over a short distance are generally more useful than over say the full length of a pitch. The reality is though if you're quick you're usually quicker than the next bloke over all distances.

Roger G (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 16:15
I bet Mako would beat Wade in a race....to Nando's (Sm100)

John Tee (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 17:09
Quote:
GazzaFez
I read many years ago that Rory Underwood was faster than Linford Christie was over an officially timed 60m course.
In rugby speed and more importantly acceleration over a short distance are generally more useful than over say the full length of a pitch. The reality is though if you're quick you're usually quicker than the next bloke over all distances.

Wasn't Harriman in that too...?
I could imagine Underwood being great over 60, Christie's
Kick came after 60 altho I recall Christie had a 60n euro track time or record...
But depends on track, spikes, in or out of season etc.

Some people like Sam Grady had blinding speed out of the blocks and were 100 mtr world record holders...couldnt live with Carl Lewis over 100 once he took his world record though
Grady went to NFL and did ok. As did Ron Brown who won Olympic gold before Lewis, iirc.
200 mtr speed is not a lot of good on a rugby or NFL field, but it is still damn quick...

100 mtr gas not the be all and end all unless running near to 100 mtrs.
The issue is more likely when you run out of legs and what guys actually train for.
I doubt they do sprinters training as such and anyone that highly trained up would probably break going anywhere near a rugby field...

Wade will get a combined time if he gets near the NFL.
That link above was fascinating though...thanks for that.

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 22:12
I remember a story about Jonathan Davies when he joined Widnes asking the coach who the fastest player was and then betting him that he would beat him over a short sprint which he subsequently did.

The player he beat was Martin Offiah, who, of course, beat him over a longer distance.

Speed off the mark is one thing; sustainable speed over a long distance another.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 05:59
I recall registering astonishment at Richard Haughton's pace against Viadana during a bizarre match in Italy.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 07:50
I'd be surprised if Lewington isn't the fastest in your squad.

AP (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 20:57
Any Tigers player will be fastest over any given distance as they are all cheetahs!

(Sm102)

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net