rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

GP rounds 13-16 confirmed
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 15:09
Two Friday night away fixtures but at least both are on TV.

List of confirmed Sarries fixtures for Round 13-16

Sat 16th Feb – Leicester Tigers, Allianz Park, KO 15H00, BT Sport
Fri 22nd Feb – Gloucester, Kingsholm, KO 19H45, BT Sport
Sat 2nd Mar – Northampton Saints, Allianz Park, KO 15H00
Fri 8th Mar – Bath, The Rec, KO 19H45, BT Sport

Re: GP rounds 13-16 confirmed
Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 16:03
Friday games are a nightmare for away fans to get to!

European champions 2016 & 2017

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 16:15
Glos and Bath on a Friday night - nightmare!

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 18:15
Play hooky on friday and the weekend to potter around Bath before returning home. Sounds smashing to me. A fortnight later and I could have combined it with seeing Ian McKellans one-man show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2018 18:16 by SarrieSaint.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 10:31
I don't know if it has been engineered that way deliberately but as we are not able to host Friday evening matches ourselves (a ridiculous situation IMHO) due to our terms of tenure, it does only seem fair that we have been picked to play in two of them.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 11:34
Quote:
GazzaFez
I don't know if it has been engineered that way deliberately but as we are not able to host Friday evening matches ourselves (a ridiculous situation IMHO) due to our terms of tenure, it does only seem fair that we have been picked to play in two of them.

I don't suppose those people living locally think quite the same way you do about Friday night games.
If I'd moved to the leafy suburbs I wouldn't be at all impressed if I had 10,000 people walking past my front door at 10pm.
The rules were made to keep everybody happy certainly seems to he working at the moment as long as we all stick to the agreement.

JO'G (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 11:39
Glaws - trains from London

out
London Paddington 16:45GW
Reading17:1017:12
Swindon (Wilts)17:38
change
Swindon (Wilts) 17:54
Gloucester18:47

or if you are feeling risky:
London Paddington 17:42GW
direct fast train
Gloucester19:31

============

return
StationArrDepFacilities
Gloucester 22:13GW
Train terminates at Swindon (Wilts)23:03
Tchange for London
Swindon (Wilts) 23:17
Reading23:5223:54
London Paddington00:31

JO'G (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 11:47
and a better service to Bath

London Paddington 17:30
Bath Spa 18:59

Bath Spa 22:48
London Paddington 00:31

Waldo (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Jim 55
Quote:
GazzaFez

I don't suppose those people living locally think quite the same way you do about Friday night games.
If I'd moved to the leafy suburbs I wouldn't be at all impressed if I had 10,000 people walking past my front door at 10pm.
The rules were made to keep everybody happy certainly seems to he working at the moment as long as we all stick to the agreement.

I think also the fact that we are right at the end / beginning of the M1 / A1 might cause a lot of concern at City hall re Friday night congestion

27 November, 2018 14:19
Good ticket prices available for Gloucester if you leave around midday friday & have a railcard

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:22
Quote:
Jim 55
Quote:
GazzaFez

Jim55 I don't need to suppose anything because I am one of those people living locally and have been for the last 36 years, when I first started supporting Sarries. It is a fact that Friday evenings are one of the quietest times in the local area due to the demographic. It's why Brent X is almost deserted and my favourite time to go there when I have to. Sunday by contrast is one of the busiest times in the area for the same reason. BTW all of this pales to insignificance compared to 3-4pm on a weekday when the school run is in full progress; it's mayhem. Also, It's acknowledged by many that the current CPZ is huge overkill and may be scaled back. On any match day there are literally hundreds of empty parking bays in the area covered by the CPZ. If a quiet time was the main factor then Friday evening would be better than a Sunday for this area!

No one ever has 10,000 people walk past their door on any match day I've ever seen either. Are they all going to the same place? Hyperbole doesn't add weight to a point of view.

Unfortunately the rules were not made to keep everyone happy; they were made to keep a small but very vocal minority happy and as we had little choice, at the time, we had to make do. I can assure you the planning situation around Saracens has always been a political football exploited by opposition parties in the local council. The council had a majority of 1 in the previous election which had dropped to zero by the 2018 election. However, things have moved on after the 2018 election with a majority of 13 now in a sympathetic council. The current rules say we can't play on a Friday, but things move on. For the record my preferred time is Saturday afternoon but I'm very old school in that respect.

My original point was that we shouldn't begrudge having two Friday away matches because we
aren't able to 'do our bit' and that is inarguable.

TOKS (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:53
Away to Glos on a Friday night during an international window.

Who'd have thought it?

27 November, 2018 18:38
Makes a change!!!
smiling smiley

abudhabidoo (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 02:59
Anyone know why England v USA was allowed to be played at AP on a Friday night? Did we have to limit the attendance? Also, does it count as one of the permitted home games for the season?

Gryff (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 04:20
There was an attendance limit, I think 3,500 which means it doesn’t count as one of the allowed games.

TOKS (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 09:54
Spot on Gryff. I saw my old school team play a first-team match there a couple of years back on a Friday night. That most certainly didn't break the attendance limit!

Actually, playing Devil's Advocate, if they put up season ticket prices at the end of this season in the same manner as last year, we may be able to play on a Friday night after all.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2018 09:56 by TOKS.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 10:20
Gazzafez, I don't know where you live but I commute up to the Midlands from Queenspark on a Friday night and the A1 and A41 are bedlam!!!!! The Mill Hill roundabout can take 30 minutes just to navigate in both directions from about 5pm to 8pm. It can take an hour to get through from Brent Cross to the A1. The traffic in the other direction is just as bad until after 8pm.

No games on a Friday night please.

Sunday / Saturday commuting to games is a dream in comparison.

abudhabidoo (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 20:40
Quote:
Gryff
There was an attendance limit, I think 3,500 which means it doesn’t count as one of the allowed games.

Thanks Gryff, didn't know that.

JO'G (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 14:12
I remember as a child when my father had a shop in London and we lived in Radlett the longest part of our journey was the bit between the end of the Finchley road and the M1 turnoff at Edgeware and that was 40 years ago

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net