rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Faz's tackling...
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 05:56
As a few of the other boards have this topic I thought we should... but with a light touch...

Nice little video clip... got to see the humour
[rugbyonslaught.com]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Re: Faz's tackling...
Sara'sman (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 15:31
I'll offer an opinion! I'm glad that the laws have been improved to place a greater duty of care on the tackler. It is said that a lie repeated often enough becomes a fact. One such lie was re the swinging high shot when an opponent cut inside - Barnes S would always claim it was an unintentional reflex reaction, penalty, no more. Reflex my posterior. Since being clamped down on we rarely see these now red card offences. If Faz's two tackles are agreed to be dangerous and merit a yellow card I'll have no complaint about a similar clampdown provided sanctions are applied consistently. We will however see numerous other players punished too - many other FHs use his "bumping" technique though far less forcefully or effectively and thus less noticed.

I was one of the few who thought at the time that Owen's challenge on Watson should have merited a red, though the laws then in place (and the excellent Barnes (of the Wayne variety)) gave mitigating circumstances as Watson was falling albeit marginally. His tackle on Robson was also poor though the similar mitigating factors more obvious. I have little doubt that Owen needs to, perhaps already has, amend his technique.

Where I think there is great hypocrisy is in the excessive outcry over this Autumns two tackles alone. There was much worse - a red and a yellow in one "tackle" on GK v the Saffers that most, including World Rugby, simply ignored despite their recently reinforced clampdown. And two far harder shoulder charges on Basteraud (one by Vermualen) a week later that have attracted no attention whatsoever. I see similar, though not so high profile, challenges most weeks go unpunished. There needs to be consistency by referees/world rugby but also by those up in arms simply because it's Faz.

Static (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:01
Did I miss something but it seems that Faz was not cited for the tackle, which I thought would happen.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:14
You can only be cited for a red card, no arms tackles which don't contact the head are penalties or penalties and yellows (or in this case penalty try and yellow although the yellow is more for denying a try than for the tackle)

TOKS (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 17:01
It was never going to be a citing as shoulder to shoulder is not a red card offence and citings are only for red card offences that either haven't been spotted or dealt with adequately at the time (as pointed out above).

However I was rather surprised that it wasn't a penalty try (and therefore yellow card) and in fact found the summation by Mr. Peyper that the Aussie player had barged Farrell as much as the other way round a very generous one indeed!

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 18:36
Hi Mike,good to have you back on the board!.....I think me & other guys I watched with are in minority as we thought he stood his ground but our views were probably influenced by who opposition were!

European champions 2016 & 2017

mfc (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 20:16
It’s all get a bit pack mentality, the braying masses wanting Farrell to be carded so they be proven vindicated. Virtually every board on rugby network has a Farrell demonising thread now, and some doubling up with Tigers were robbed.

A Chiefs fan is liberally seeding these threads, which is nice of him.

King Zak (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 21:10
Quote:
mfc
It’s all get a bit pack mentality, the braying masses wanting Farrell to be carded so they be proven vindicated. Virtually every board on rugby network has a Farrell demonising thread now, and some doubling up with Tigers were robbed.
A Chiefs fan is liberally seeding these threads, which is nice of him.

I don’t suppose he started one when Bristol we’re ‘robbed’ the week before though?

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

AP (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 21:12
I think we've all seen enough of Faz's tackle for now, thank you.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 03:05
"Rugby Rebels" is the place to go for a myopic view on all things Farrell.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 13:03
Remember the tackle against the Boks? The ref has said, on the Will Greenwood podcast that, were he to have seen all the angles, he would have awarded a penalty bit no more. This would have enabled the game to continue and the Bokke to kick to touch AND play the line-out.

Why aren't 'all the angles' available to the ref, if he wants them?

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Innings (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 14:25
All in all, I guess that this technique is no longer acceptable. Sooner or later he'll make one in front of the ref who'll penalise it / card him. Twice in the AIs that could have happened, and twice it could have affected the result. Some players have learned, and most of the Sarries defence is now based on chop tackles as the best way to react. Owen seems a bit slow to have picked up on this development, and he may find it costs him and the side for whom he's playing dear.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Roger G (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 16:00
Hadn't seen the tackle before today - he was very lucky to get away with that. Let's hope our coaches can improve his technique, and fast. Fazlet's physicality is one of his major strengths....but only if he's on the pitch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net