rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Tackles
Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 08:37
World rugby have changed the way tackles are judged to protect the tackled player from head injury. However, we are still seeing many players going off for HIA and concussion.

One thing that occurred to me is that the tackler also gets concussed for having his head on the wrong side or bad tackle technique.

So, should world rugby sanction those tacklers who get their heads on the wrong side of the tackled player as a way of cutting down more HIA's? So a penalty for a dangerously executed tackle?

Re: Tackles
nedrichards (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 15:01
I think they may look at that. I'd only note that one of the key reasons for the newer tackle interpretations is actually to protect the *tackler* from injury not the tackled player.

Quote:
the TACKLER has head injury risk 2.6x larger than the ball carrier (see the data on the right, which shows the propensity of match activities, and the propensity for the tackler and ball carrier the tackler is injured 1.4 times every 1000 tackles, while the ball carrier has the head injury 0.54 times every 1000 tackles.

Every fan or pundit owes it to themselves to read and watch Ross Tucker, who now works for World Rugby doing the data driven analysis that led to all this explain what, why and how it all works:

[sportsscientists.com]

One thing I know some defence coaches have talked about is *why* you tackle high (to stop offloads and slow down the ball) and I feel that without something that legally allows a lower height tackle to prevent offloads may be required to get everyone lined up with a safer way to play. I've wondered before about a more NFL like rule where if your knee is on the floor the tackle has been made (which would also address the blight on the game of players rolling or scrabbling forwards). That may be a terrible idea - but seeing how the world rugby law making process works can make these kinds of conversations easier to have.

JO'G (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 17:31
One simple answer is to allow a jackal without releasing or having to go back round if you tackle below the shorts. That simple fact would ensure every #7 did the low tackle every time

John Tee (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 18:25
Depends where they see concussion in what tackles.
Going high brings shoulder/head into play but why do people do that....they do that to stop the offload.
If you want players to go low, you'll have to curtail the offload.

The way things are going, you'll need head guards pretty soon.

AP (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 23:21
Read this: [www.theguardian.com]

Things aren't as simple as we think!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net