rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Saracens v Pests 1 December
Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 16:56
Referee: John-Paul Doyle
Assistant referees: Hamish Smales, Michael Hudson
Television match official: Stuart Terheege
Timekeeper: John Burtenshaw
Assessor: Anthony Spreadbury

Re: Saracens v Pests 1 December
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 18:01
I would much rather have Spreaders with the whistle even if he needs a mobility scooter these days!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 18:49
Exeter have resisted the temptation to play their returning England players and rested them. I hope we're brave enough to do the same, certainly with George and Itoje.

bargepole (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 07:41
Quote:
Eric Browett
Exeter have resisted the temptation to play their returning England players and rested them. I hope we're brave enough to do the same, certainly with George and Itoje.

Given our current injury list, I doubt that we'll have the luxury of making that choice.

I'm expecting Daly, Hughes and Shields all to start, as well as Le Roux back from SA.

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 09:11
Wasps are closer to the foot of the table than they are to us. They need to win much more than we do.

With back to back CC games coming up I think we can afford to rest all internationals (except Wiggy, Sanjay and Maitland - Wiggy hasn't played that much, Sanjay and Maitland are wingers so don't need to be rested).

Maro played every minute of the autumns (except when he was sitting on the naughty step). He can sit this one out for sure.

Rupes (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 09:33
A good test of the club's commitment to player welfare, you could argue...

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 10:17
My guess will be Faz and Itoje rested. Jamie G on the bench and Wiggy to start. I don't think we can afford more than that. We'll find out soon enough.

Petros (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:29
15 Wille Le Roux
14 Ross Neal
13 Elliot Daly (c)
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
11 Michele Campagnaro
10 Lima Sopoaga
9 Craig Hampson
1 Ben Harris
2 Antonio Harris
3 Kieran Brookes
4 Will Rowlands
5 Kearnan Myall
6 Brad Shields
7 Nizaam Carr
8 Nathan Hughes

Replacements
16 Gabriel Oghre
17 Zurabi Zhvania
18 Mike Daniels
19 Charlie Matthews
20 Ben Morris
21 Will Porter
22 Billy Searle
23 Juan de Jongh

Garp285 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:32
Rest 'em all, I say. After all, it's only Wasps - now where did that sarcasm thingy go ;-)
I'm still trying to get over the Valentine's Day Massacre!!

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:33
Saracens team to face Wasps at Allianz Park on Saturday 1st December (KO 15H00):
FORWARDS: Titi Lamositele (60), Jamie George (204), Vincent Koch (45), Maro Itoje (102), Will Skelton (36), Mike Rhodes (80), Calum Clark (23), Jackson Wray (208).

BACKS: Liam Williams (21), Sean Maitland (49), Alex Lozowski (68), Brad Barritt (232), Alex Lewington (11), Alex Goode (271), Richard Wigglesworth (218).

REPLACEMENTS: Tom Woolstencroft (5), Ralph Adams-Hale (2), Juan Figallo (91), Nick Isiekwe (42), Dom Day (19), Ben Earl (24), Ben Spencer (141), Nick Tompkins (79).

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:40
Their no 16 sounds a bit frightening! Hadnít expected to see Chippy back! Whatís happened to Baz?

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:44
A week after we're missing our top four THs (Koch, Figallo, Lamositele, Walker) three return only to find we're missing our top 3 LHs (Vunipola, Barrington, Thompson-Stringer). Good to see a few of the injured return, perhaps best to rest Itoje v Ex when Isiekwe is match fit and Kruis back too?

A strangely patched up squad, with another 6/2 bench, hopefully strong enough.

rcheek77 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:49
I have a horrible suspicion that your boys will put a cricket score on Wasps tomorrow. More intensely irritating gloating from my Sarries supporting father in law to come tomorrow I fear! (Sm110)

But you never know, it's about time Wasps managed to get an elusive W against Sarries, so one can hope! Here's a to a good game (Sm128)

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 11:52
Quote:
Sarasman

Both squads are looking pretty patch work. Wasps are down to 3rd choice hooker, with Academy hooker on the bench. Props are all over the place, never heard of the bloke on the bench, he's been borrowed from Nottingham!

Chuck a few odd selections in and I'd suggest Sarries are heavy favourites!!

Still you never know......

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:11
No normal cover at 10/15 If Alex gets crooked. 6 forwards and 2 backs (SH and a centre) on the bench?!?

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:12
Actually you could move Alex L to 10 and replace with Nick T so no worries....

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:12
Quote:
The Bard
Their no 16 sounds a bit frightening!

No need to worry about Gabriel. He's an angel really. (Sm14)

Agree yet another variation on an ever changing starting XV. We can't say it doesn't work though! Really chuffed to get Juan Figallo back. Wasn't expecting that for some while either. The silver lining with all these returning injured players is that they've effectively had their 'rest' for at least until the end of the ECC pool matches I would guess.

Alex G was excellent in his last outing at F/H so let's hope he can repeat that tomorrow.

BTW forecast is very gloomy and plenty of rain.

Barty II (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:14
Quote:
Wayoutwest
No normal cover at 10/15 If Alex gets crooked. 6 forwards and 2 backs (SH and a centre) on the bench?!?

Lozowski?

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:15
Yes I had a brain freeze

Greenback Wasp (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 12:28
Probably 4th choice hooker. I'm pretty certain Ashley would have been 3rd pick to hook if he wasn't injured too.

maire23 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 13:15
Quote:
bald.paul.101
Quote:
Sarasman

Props are all over the place, never heard of the bloke on the bench, he's been borrowed from Nottingham..

Heís ex Worcester. Signed for Nottingham from Hartpury where he was doing his Masters.
Not a bad player- always gives it 110% for Nottingham. If he gets on he wonít let Wasps down.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 14:18
Marie, I wasn't suggested he wasn't up to the job, just that I hadn't heard of him smiling smiley

maire23 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 14:22
Quote:
bald.paul.101
Marie, I wasn't suggested he wasn't up to the job, just that I hadn't heard of him smiling smiley

I know- sorry if I came across like that! Just trying to give you some background smiling smiley sorry for the misunderstandingsmiling smiley

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 15:12
I am seriously worried about tomorrow. Just as you think things might get better - BOOM! - down to 4th choice hooker, lose 1st and 2nd choice TH, god knows what stage of locks we're down to, 3rd choice scrummie, and 3 outside centres in the backline.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 16:23
Is this game more important than the three coming up? I'd be very surprised if players like Maro and George will play the next four so it feels a bit odd that neither get a break. Appreciate there are possible reasons re depth but whilst Wasps are a good side they also have issues with injuries and absentees and this felt a bit like a game where maybe those players could have been cavalry if needed?

Likewise Barritt who is so vital to how the team plays and yet we will have to learn how to cope without him. Given Tompkins has played so well I'd have quite liked to see he and Lozo paired up.

Despite that slight uncertainty it's a very nice looking 23. Obviously the situation at LH far from ideal but otherwise it looks promising. I never thought I'd wish for the rain to stay away when playing Wasps but looking at Sarries backline maybe this time we should?

Hope its a great game.

JO'G (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 16:27
Brad had a good bit of time off during the Cup and will get more time off in February

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 16:31
I think there's a difference between being given time off and having to take time out whilst you mend (as Barritt did for much of that time off) but accept the general point that he will have some time off.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 14:25
Looks like Liam Williams had pulled out at the last minute. If there was an announcement I missed it.

Gallagher straight in to 15.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:36
Thanks Elliot. Much appreciated. smiling smiley

Westy68 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:42
Thanks guys for not getting out of 2nd gear, a nice stroll in the park for you.

You are a very well organised club

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 17:08
Quote:
Westy68
Thanks guys for not getting out of 2nd gear, a nice stroll in the park for you.
You are a very well organised club

Let us not forget that Wasps put up a pretty good show. Both defences good (but ours was gooder for longer - in fact it was stunning!). Yeah Wasps handling & pen count poor too.

Bit concerned about lack of downtime for our internationals as was being hoped for by the wise & erudite contributors to this site!

bg (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 17:31
Well done to Sarries, yourselves and Chiefs are a step ahead of the rest of the league so its up too us and the rest of the teams to try and catch up. Your strength in depth is astonishing. We had to borrow a player from Nottingham to make numbers up

Its going to be a proper bun fight with 2 teams way ahead and no obvious weakest team making up the rest to see who avoids the drop.

If the CVC deal goes ahead I can see the idea of ringfencing appearing over the horizon.

Best of luck in your European games

The Bard (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:47
Very strange game. We were very flat in attack and rarely looked like breaching the for once solid wasps defence. Kicking from hand a big step back from last week, very few contestable offerings.
If Brad Shields is better than Michael Rhodes I need to get back to the opticians. Sopoanga looks a very poor replacement for Cipriani based on that showing.
Impressed with Matt Gallagher, looked very comfortable out there today.

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 19:46
Attendance 9853 from memory. Funnily enough this was announced - season's first?

london pride (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 20:41
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries
Attendance 9853 from memory. Funnily enough this was announced - season's first?

Funny that, I thought exactly the same thing.The only other near capacity crowd was the game V Lyon.I can't remember if that attendance was announced.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 23:06
Excellent post The Bard. Agree with all of that.

bg (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 00:28
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries

Am I the only one thinking that's shocking for one of the best teams in Europe or is that your maximum capacity?

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 05:53
Quote:
bg
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries

Am I the only one thinking that's shocking for one of the best teams in Europe or is that your maximum capacity?

It is 47 short of maximum capacity. Saracens spent years and investigated the feasibility of dozens of venues around London when they sought to leave Vicarage Road.

There are massive regulatory barriers to the creation and use of stadiums within the Greater London area, that simply don't apply in most of the rest of the country.

It could be argued that it was a contributory factor in Wasps choosing to leave London.

To make Alliance Park Saracens permanent home required the club to accept a number of conditions, including free access by the local community, which necessitates an artificial surface, and strict limits on the number of matches and maximum crowd size.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:55 by Convex Hull.

John Tee (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 07:18
Quote:
The Bard
Very strange game. We were very flat in attack and rarely looked like breaching the for once solid wasps defence. Kicking from hand a big step back from last week, very few contestable offerings.
If Brad Shields is better than Michael Rhodes I need to get back to the opticians. Sopoanga looks a very poor replacement for Cipriani based on that showing.
Impressed with Matt Gallagher, looked very comfortable out there today.

I think Shields is settling in and making himself more useful. He is the glue in the backrow. I wouldn't know if Rhodes does that better as haven't seen enough of him.
The Cips and Lima debate has spilt the site and pro Cips arguments are shouted down.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 09:44
The funny thing about the Cipriani debate is the comparison is either him playing last season for Wasps in a relatively settled squad with first choice scrum-halves and fullback who he had built a relationship with (and often Gopperth too) or playing currently at Glaws with selection of backs who have always been very good and now a rock-solid pack with Sopoanga who has joined a basket case where injuries and International call-ups mean he plays with a new combination at 9/12/13 most weeks and he's getting hammered for it not clicking.

I do think Cipriani would make a difference to Wasps if he was still there but that's largely because of his familiarity with the players and them being used to how he wants to play. Those thinking things would be fine if he was still at the Ricoh are dreaming.

Waldo (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:05
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Bit concerned about lack of downtime for our internationals as was being hoped for by the wise & erudite contributors to this site!

That's an interesting debate - we have an important European Game next week and because of the Autumn Internationals we haven't had (for want of a better word ) our "regular" starters playing together for a number of weeks - so you could argue that getting many of them starting this week was good preparation.

PotNoodleHorn (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:48
Quote:
bg
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries

10,000 is capacity...

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 14:03
Rob Baxter will be grinning like a Cheshire cat. He's rested all his internationals and garnered two points. We have to rest Maro and Jamie in one of the next two rounds.

He won't care about gifting a W to Quins as he knows he can beat them in the playoffs in the unlikely event that they get there.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 14:09
Saw a quote from Dai Young that made me smile. He said that when he looks into the transfer market, there are never any Sarries players available!

That's the way to do it!

Keep your players happy. Don't sign mercenaries for a single season - not only are they disruptive when around, they leave a big hole when they've gone.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 14:20
Quote:
TonyTaff
Rob Baxter will be grinning like a Cheshire cat. He's rested all his internationals and garnered two points. We have to rest Maro and Jamie in one of the next two rounds.
He won't care about gifting a W to Quins as he knows he can beat them in the playoffs in the unlikely event that they get there.

I believe itís only Maro who must be rested as he played more than 80% of minutes. Not to say resting Jamie isnít a good idea. Do you really think we canít beat Wuss without those two?

John Tee (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:22
Quote:
SarrieSaint
The funny thing about the Cipriani debate is the comparison is either him playing last season for Wasps in a relatively settled squad with first choice scrum-halves and fullback who he had built a relationship with (and often Gopperth too) or playing currently at Glaws with selection of backs who have always been very good and now a rock-solid pack with Sopoanga who has joined a basket case where injuries and International call-ups mean he plays with a new combination at 9/12/13 most weeks and he's getting hammered for it not clicking.
I do think Cipriani would make a difference to Wasps if he was still there but that's largely because of his familiarity with the players and them being used to how he wants to play. Those thinking things would be fine if he was still at the Ricoh are dreaming.

He is fallible and will have a poor game for sure but he is pretty used to playing behind a pack that aren't that dominant.. And Wasps have been that at times, Imo.
I think Wasps will be fine when they get all their players back but Wasps fans will have to accept a different game plan.
Any team us going to miss WLR, Robson (injured) and Cipriani...
And next season they'll have to do it without WLR... That is a LOT of attacking talent. Wade skipping off doesn't help. My suspicion is that someone had to balance the books...and said I'd be surprised if all 3 of WLR, Wade and Daly were playing there next season...
That didn't go down too well, but two out of three by Xmas isn't bad. WLR hasn't confirmed he is going yet admittedly iirc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 19:37 by John Tee.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 17:26
Message to Spencer
Don't kick the ball away with 20 secs left on the clock - you end up playing almost 5 minutes overtime!

TOKS (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 13:41
Quote:
TonyTaff
Don't sign mercenaries for a single season

We did learn this one the hard way, Tony, by doing it about a dozen years in a row up until 2009!

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 13:47
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ

That's an interesting debate - we have an important European Game next week and because of the Autumn Internationals we haven't had (for want of a better word ) our "regular" starters playing together for a number of weeks - so you could argue that getting many of them starting this week was good preparation.

I rest my case Waldo - "wise & erudite" (Sm100)

JO'G (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 13:58
agree with that - if you are going to meld the team back together again - better to do so against a wasps team worse off for injuries who never looked like scoring - than against a Cardiff team itching for an upset in europe.

please Cardiff play on plastic so will feel at home and will play with pace and look to disrupt.

Agree with Spencer; could not work out why he did that. Wasted about a minute with aimless rucks and then kicked the ball straight to Wasps. good tackling practice whilst fatigued though

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net