rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Quins v Exeter
AP (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:27
Great bit of business to let Nathan Earle move to Quins - it's an extra chance to beat the Chiefs!

Go Quins!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Re: Quins v Exeter
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:36
Could the ref try any harder to give Ex the win? Ball clearly held up yet he claims he saw a grounding despite being on the wrong side!

vunipolae (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:41
Yeah that was about as clear a held up decision you can get

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:45
Quote:
vunipolae
Yeah that was about as clear a held up decision you can get

Yep...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:53
come on Quins - you can beat Exeter; just believe!

vunipolae (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:55
That Marcus smith pass might actually be worse than that Freddy burns drop

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:55
.....Quins gift Chiefs 2 bonus points....(Sm102)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:56
Yes, Quins! Nearly threw it away at the death but got over the line in the end.

AP (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:57
And Quins become everyone's second favourite team!

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:57
Horrendous from Smith

vunipolae (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 20:58
Quote:
AP
And Quins become everyone's second favourite team!

They're definately in the top 11

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:07
Er, I don't think we'll be signing Marcus Smith as our third choice 10 any time soon.

I look forward to him explaining to his pack "I had to go wide, because I couldn't rely upon you lightweights to keep possession for 2 minutes"!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:12
Well I thought it was a great watch. Properly competitive game and a good illustration of what both sides have to offer.

Shouldn't forget that Chiefs were missing all their Internationals but even so I think they looked a touch limited their immaculate mauling game aside.

Quins showed how dangerous they can be ball in hand and Gustard looks to have finally given the side some structure in defence and steel through an 80 minute game. All they need now is to back that type of performance up and to close games out. Game-control in the last 5 was not good.

Still an excellent result for them although Chiefs kept pointless would obviously have been better for Sarries.

Letting Earle go looking like a poor decision as it has for much of this season unfortunately.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:31
I always thought Mike Brown was a natural baldie. Has he done an Elton John?

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:31
I always thought Mike Brown was a natural baldie. Has he done an Elton John?

Saracens23 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:36
Letting Earle go looking like a poor decision as it has for much of this season unfortunately.[/quote]

Don't agree with that at all. Think Lewington has been excellent so far and Strettle has been, well, David Strettle. Much rather have these as our wingers than Earle.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:42
Subjective I appreciate and Lewington is a great signing but don't agree about Strettle.
He fits the system but is at the end of his career. Backing the past at the expense of the future seemed like an odd call. Even more so when you've invested so much time in a young player.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:44
[quote Saracens23]Letting Earle go looking like a poor decision as it has for much of this season unfortunately.[/quote]

Don't agree with that at all. Think Lewington has been excellent so far and Strettle has been, well, David Strettle. Much rather have these as our wingers than Earle.[/quote]

agree ....more than happy with what we have now!
spoke to him at HAC game he is happy ....no agreement could be reached so we need to move on we are unbeaten are we really missing him??!!

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 21:47
soz....that was directed at sarrie saint!!
apologies Martin!! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 22:19
Good to hear he's happy at Quins HS. They've already got him and Morris. Let's hope they don't want the age-grade Tripple and Maro too!

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 07:55
Honestly didn't think Earle was progressing that much with us.
So happy with the wingers we have. He still wouldn't have got much game time with us.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 08:23
Remember, at the time Nathan Earle signed for Harlequins theyd just lost Marlon Yards and were pretty desperate. My guess is they offered him wages which no sensible management would want to pay, especially if we knew of cheaper, good alternatives out there

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 09:47
I don't lose any sleep over the prospect of Quins poaching our prospects (Geddit?).

For every Earle that there is for our youngsters to seek to follow, there is an Itoje and Isikewe as counter-examples!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Innings (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 10:51
The topic of retaining every squad member during their contract negotiations was done to death here a couple of years ago. The cap dictates that when a good player wants to better his salary, as is natural, the business has to look at what it can afford to allocate from a finite pot. In Earle's case, he was a coming player in whom Sarries were unable to invest as much as were Quins, who had the money available and a considerably greater need for the signature. IMHO Earle and his agent were therefore in a position to achieve the ideal move, for more money and more game time. With Gustard's arrival, that might even give him a shout at England honours: he's only 24 and has certainly made progress in his new colours.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Roger G (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 10:53
I guess every player has to ask himself whether he would prefer more game time, or to be rotated/looked after, and potentially have a longer career. We have to respect each player's decision and just hope, if they choose game time, it doesn't come back to haunt them when they get injured. Earle always looked good for us, but never spectacular, but looks much more dangerous now he's playing regularly - good luck to him.

Static (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 11:53
You also have to remember that he was also always not going to feature in a Back 3 of Goode, Williams and Maitland. At best he was going to be a bench option and that would be if you put someone who really is an out and out winger on the bench. It was always going to be tough for him to get game time, for a few years. Players who have stayed have benefited, i.e. Jamie particularly, but not everyone will be as patient.

Can't do anything but wish him well, and continue being happy with what we have.

mfc (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 13:58
We spoke to Nathan at the Ospreys pre season game, my sense was hed have preferred to have stayed, but financially he had to move. Hes still very much a supporter.

AP (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 20:54
You can see the move made sense for him and I'd hope that Sarries fans would understand that. Wingers need to make their mark young, unlike hookers who can be slow burners.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net