rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Alex Goode
Sara'sman (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:09
I think he was immense today, great vision and execution in an irregular frontline position; accurate kicks, controlled passes short and long, jinking runs, good defence and happy to take the ball to the line despite a good "hit" from Hughes early on. My MoM.

I've always thought of him as ahead of Loz and Malins in our FH stakes and now that we have Williams, Maitland, +1 and the promising Gallagher as FB options might we see him more at 10 when Faz is absent? From Goodey's point of view it could prolong his career; far easier to be an aging 10 than 15 as Charlie demonstrated. My "+1" is Loz - I've always wanted to see him at 13 but also wonder if he has the closest skillset to AG's to replicate our second receiver role from 15. Whilst his flexibility is great for the team, AL needs a settled role; he has the pace, vision, kicking, running and tackling to make a top class 15 imo though needs testing under the high ball (Tigers was promising).

I'm probably a bigger fan of Joe George! Ford than most on this site - or Tigers'/Bath's! - but surely AG has to be considered as a capable understudy for England at 10. With neither Daly nor Brown tying down the FB spot (and Watson not a natural 15 in my view) Jones must surely play AG again. His excellence in two key positions would be invaluable at the World Cup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 19:01 by Sara'sman.

Re: Alex Goode
AB (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:54
=Unfortunately Eddie Jones has a major blind spot and just won't pick him

Graeme D (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:57
Joe Ford?

Quote:
Sara'sman
I think he was immense today, great vision and execution in an irregular frontline position; accurate kicks, controlled passes short and long, jinking runs, good defence and happy to take the ball to the line despite a good "hit" from Hughes early on. My MoM.
I've always thought of him as ahead of Loz and Malins in our FH stakes and now that we have Williams, Maitland, +1 and the promising Gallagher as FB options might we see him more at 10 when Faz is absent? From Goodey's point of view it could prolong his career; far easier to be an aging 10 than 15 as Charlie demonstrated. My "+1" is Loz - I've always wanted to see him at 13 but also wonder if he has the closest skillset to AG's to replicate our second receiver role from 15. Whilst his flexibility is great for the team, AL needs a settled role; he has the pace, vision, kicking, running and tackling to make a top class 15 imo though needs testing under the high ball (Tigers was promising).

I'm probably a bigger fan of Joe Ford than most on this site - or Tigers'/Bath's! - but surely AG has to be considered as a capable understudy for England at 10. With neither Daly nor Brown tying down the FB spot (and Watson not a natural 15 in my view) Jones must surely play AG again. His excellence in two key positions would be invaluable at the World Cup.

Static (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 21:44
Heard o commentary today that when Goode, the answer was he just doesn't fit what he is looking for. Unfortunate, but seems that it for his international career for the time being.

Innings (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 21:47
It seems very simple to me: Eddie knows what he wants his 15 to be. Brown delivered that, but he's past it now. Alex never delivered whatever 'that' is, and was taken out of the picture. Unfortunately, there is no current 15 around who has the skillset, mind and body to give Eddie what he wants. As a result, the Alex debate rumbles on.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 23:04
Quote:
Sara'sman
I think he was immense today... accurate kicks ... My MoM.

Wow did I ever watch a different game. His kicking game was very poor and continuously fed Wasps attack that was otherwise struggling to get going and he both he and Wiggle failed to bring Lozo into the game in any meaningful way. Agree with the rest of your assessment but he played a big part in playing Wasps into a game they should have been shut out of.

John Tee (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 07:22
I like the idea of AL being a 15. Would like to him play more there, but presumably will have the same issues that Daly and Watson have which is game time there.

The Bard (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 09:43
I also thought Goodey was some way from his best yesterday, even ignoring the missed kick to touch. Every backline attack seemed to be a succession of behind the back passes going side to side without really committing the defence.

london pride (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:21
I think a lot of the comments about Goode may be because week in,week out we are so used to him playing so well that he is usually a contender for man of the match.
When he has a quiet game and dosent go on those 'mazey' runs that we all love,it's easy to say he had a poor game.Ask a few Wasp players who had a poor game,
I think they may come up with a couple of different answers.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:50
Interesting that my opinion seems to be out of synch with the majority. My feeling was that in the main it was Wiggy kicking too long and that Goode dealt exceptionally well with what he was given. Largely this was slow ball (neither side penalised enough at the ruck) and a Wasps defence that was both far better/more physical than their norm and that lived a couple of yards offside at the breakdown. The latter is very clear on TV (please look at 4 or 5 breakdowns) but different from the accusation often thrown at us - we tend to retreat then rely on linespeed, often criticised by those not realising that it is the lifting of the ball, not the pass from 9 that is the trigger. Nonetheless yes, I picked up us offside a few times too!

I've a couple of jobs that I don't wish to do so I'll re-watch the game to try to see what others have, especially since I too agreed with The Bard's comments on the other thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net