rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Elliot Daly to Saracens?
Jacques Burger (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 16:41
So I have been hearing on a few podcasts that Elliot Daly's contract is coming up, and that he is being heavily linked with Saracens....thoughts on this?

Personally I am not sure where he would fit in, as Daly predominantly plays 13 for Wasps, and Loz and Tompkins are looking good at 13 for us already...wings, we have Maits, Williams, Stretts, Lewington...

I guess he gives an overall cover for 13, wing or 15, but I just can't see him starting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 16:42 by Jacques Burger.

Re: Elliot Daly to Saracens?
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 16:51
Quote:
Jacques Burger
So I have been hearing on a few podcasts that Elliot Daly's contract is coming up, and that he is being heavily linked with Saracens....thoughts on this?
Personally I am not sure where he would fit in, as Daly predominantly plays 13 for Wasps, and Loz and Tompkins are looking good at 13 for us already...wings, we have Maits, Williams, Stretts, Lewington...

I guess he gives an overall cover for 13, wing or 15, but I just can't see him starting.
I agree, not sure where we'd fit him in on the pitch let alone with the salary cap as I doubt he'd be cheap...

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:03
We did actually debate this when it was first suggested in a previous thread about Jack Singleton, in November I think.
Its clear that the rumour isnt going away.
Daveed is only on a one year contract remember - and Celo is potentially retiring soon.
I dont think the cap will be the issue here - it is whether or not Mark and Kevin think they can use him - especially with him being away with England as well as the others.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:19
No. Just no.

TOKS (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:48
Quote:
SarrieSaint
No. Just no.

Come on, if it hadn't been for dreadful refereeing he'd never have thrown that interception.

Oh, hang on....

AP (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 21:21
Not to the point, and no offence meant, but I always feel uncomfortable when someone takes another person's name as their online identity (assuming you aren't actually the man, of course). "Jacques Burger is Armageddon live" or some such is fine.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 07:48
Unless he retires from international rugby, it would be appallingly bad business to sign him.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:48
Apart from replacing Chelo as the bloke who kicks the goals from the opposition half, I don't see a need for him.

In other news, Thomas Castaignede is also in talks to come back, Mike Rafter is in the frame to replace Schalk Burger when he retires and the ghost of Cliff Morgan will deputise for Faz when he's on international duty.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

McSaracens (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 14:20
With Bosch and Strettle both likely to retire then would make perfect sense to me. Would be a frightening backline!

Wigglesworth
Farrell
Daly
Barritt
Lozowski
Williams
Goode

With just the likes of Spencer, Maitland, Lewington, Tomkins and Taylor in reserve!

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

GerryK (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 14:23
Quote:
McSaracens
With Bosch and Strettle both likely to retire then would make perfect sense to me. Would be a frightening backline!
Wigglesworth
Farrell
Daly
Barritt
Lozowski
Williams
Goode

With just the likes of Spencer, Maitland, Lewington, Tomkins and Taylor in reserve!

Would you really classify Maitland as a reservest

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 15:03
Unless Alex G leaves I can't see it happening.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 15:10
He would be a luxury and a very nice one, but he would be just that - a luxury.
My thoughts is that they would move Loz to 12 to replace Brad and then Daly would be 13.

We would suddenly have one of the quickest teams in Europe

I wouldn't say no, but then I don't think its a necessity- as others have said he would be expensive and not playing for us for half the season.

mfc (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 15:52
Cannot see a reason to pay a guy to play a position he doesn’t play

McSaracens (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 16:16
Gerry, yes I would if in this case. Daly is a better winger than Maitland IMO.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 16:51
Quote:
McSaracens

not sure I agree with that synopsis

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 17:36
DM suggesting close to a done deal. Will be disappointed if this happens. Another step down buying in rather than developing talent and another large salary. Poor business.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 18:18
I'm not sure why there is so much negativity, he's a Lion, extremely versatile and we've obviously got the Cap space (maybe a marquee player) and money for it. He might miss half the domestic season, but not the European one or playoffs. When it comes to April and May we will need as many players of his ilk as possible. There is no young player I see being able to step up to anywhere close to the same extent.

The Mail article also mentions Hughes to Bristol for £500k (a lot, but a good deal for them) and WLR to Japan. Also Mako back on Sunday and Billy against Wuss.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 18:38
It's a no from me. I get great satisfaction and enjoyment seeing players like Nick Tompkins coming through the system to represent the first team. I don't see the need for him. We have enough players away as it is.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 19:13
Sorry but it is a no from me. The money would juat not be qprth it for me. Nick tompkins is quality

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 19:16
For me I'd take him,

Taylor is probably one more long term injury away from calling time on career unfortunately, Bosch is probably retiring end of Season, Barritt will have to retire at some point (unfortunately) Strettle probably will retire end of Season, Goode is 31 soon so still has a few years left and as much I love our academy guys, Daly's experience will be valuable to their development, Tompkins aside, the amount players like Gallagher and Crossdale and Morris will learn from Daly will be great, we always need a monster kicker when Bosch retires, also that could be potentially 12 top class England players in one squad.. incredible.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 19:23
Seany what will players learn from him? what have Wasps youngsters learned from him?

£300K plus for a player who won't be Sarries starting 15 or 13 but might be 11 as long as we're ok with sticking Lewington and the up and coming Academy guys behind him.

Oh and he'll be another player Sarries won't have for close to half the year. Definition of madness is carrying on doing the same thing and expecting a different result and Sarries are continuously left short by the number of Internationals in the team, why on earth would we add another one? Time to build some depth in the squad and trust the players coming through.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 19:42
That would mean possibility of Faz Loz Wiggy or Spencer & Daly missing out of our backs to go with all forwards,EJ takes..no thanks.
Is Liam definitely still here next year?
If he was returning to Wales it would make more sense re Daly otherwise agree with SS,we don't need another international

European champions 2016 & 2017

vunipolae (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 19:50
I highly doubt this is true, would make a mockery of McCalls comments about struggling to retain lions if we add another one.

A backline of Spencer Farrell Maitland Lozowski Daly Williams Goode does sound extremely exiting once Barritt calls it time and gets Daly in his best position.

For this to work you have to convert Loz to 12 just as he's adapting to 13. I think he's far better suited to 13 where he can use that pace on the outside shoulder.

Commenters saying Daly is a better winger than Maitland yes in a vacuum he is but Maitland is excellent under a high ball and Daly is well let's just say not (which is fine because he's a 13). The high ball box kick to our wingers is such a massive part of how we gain territory to launch our attacks. Williams and Maitland are so good in the air that we win almost half those box kicks back (no data to support this)

Daly isn't playing 15 for us. We have the two best fullbacks in England.

While Daly would be an upgrade at 13 it wouldn't be a significant one and would lead to either repositioning and not getting the most out of, or losing Loz. This upgrade I don't think would be worth the salary cap when we have holes approaching in the following places:

LH2 (Baz is out of contract and we could do with someone who the coaches trust so they can rest mako)
HK2 (Singleton hopefully)
TH3 (or LH 3 if Titi is seen as a TH)
7 (Burger retiring)
9 (Wigglesworth will have to retire at some point)
12 (see Wigglesworth but for Barritt)

If Itoje isn't re-signing then it might make some sense as that frees up lots of cap but I'm sure that's a trade none of us would take

McSaracens (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 19:51
Sorry, don’t understand the logic of saying that doing the definition of madness is to continue doing the same thing.....the same thing appears to be working by having a team that is near unbeatable come the end of the season when everyone is available - that is of course when it matters. As long as you get to the playoffs which we have for virtually a decade then I cannot see how the current policy is wrong?

Dynodragon (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 20:09
Quote:
Dolph42
I'm not sure why there is so much negativity, he's a Lion, extremely versatile and we've obviously got the Cap space (maybe a marquee player)

I believe Daly can’t be a marquee player, marquee’s have to played abroad for 3 years to qualify. Rules specifically set up by PRL to avoid transfer bidding wars between clubs.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 20:14
Quote:
McSaracens
Sorry, don’t understand the logic of saying that doing the definition of madness is to continue doing the same thing.....the same thing appears to be working by having a team that is near unbeatable come the end of the season when everyone is available - that is of course when it matters. As long as you get to the playoffs which we have for virtually a decade then I cannot see how the current policy is wrong?

And bizarrely enough if that McCall chappie wants to sign Daly I may go with it. After all doing the same thing has bought a bit of silverware to us so long may his King George III impression continue (Sm152)

dirtybertie (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 22:17
From what I heard from a very reliable source Saturday Singleton and Judge are done deals, Daly is about 70% done. Skelton has resigned for 2 years.

Bosch, Burger, Strets and one of Whiteley or Taylor will be leaving.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 23:18
It makes sense to me. Others have covered most of the angles already but for me the highlights are that we are likely to lose Bosch and Strettle whilst Taylor and Griffiths (one of the aforementioned up and coming centres) seem like they could very well drop out through recurrent injury. As Daly can cover centre, wing and fullback he seems ideal. The issue of whether or not he will start is something for him to ponder on. On that note we really could do with rotating more than we do now and his inclusion would help with this. Brad needs far more rest and Loz or Tompkins can cover 12 with Daly able to cover the gaps. If McCall wants him then it's definitely a good call in my book.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 07:14
Maro is yet to resign and is out of contract next year I think...Is that where the money is coming from?

LutonS (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 07:36
Rumors that Liam W may be back off over the bridge, which may explain our interest in Daly.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:12
Quote:
LutonS
Rumors that Liam W may be back off over the bridge, which may explain our interest in Daly.
I thought we'd triggered the extension on his contract? Maybe looking long term, though, so it could be true. He should meet the 60 cap rule by the time his contract is up so there's no need for him to return to be able to play for Wales but there could be other factors in play.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:43
Williams says here he is going to stay:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

In other news Wiggy has signed until 2020.

I'd be happy to retain Judge, he's looked a decent option and with a professional pre season and set up should have room for further improvement.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:45
Quote:
Dolph42

I'd be happy to retain Judge, he's looked a decent option and with a professional pre season and set up should have room for further improvement.

I agree, I think he's done really well.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:19
Cant see Liam leaving either - I think he is really happy where he is.
I know there are rumours about Maro - but unless it is purely about money I just cant imagine him going. He is simply so committed to Sarries and his mates! Just look at how driven he is when he comes back after England duty! I may have been a little more worried if it had been Billy and Mako we were discussing here.
I stress that I am speculating - but I do think that if Daley has been messed around by Wasps and is unhappy there, he may be prepared to compromise salary a little, to come to a club where he is going to get the best opportunities at European club level, superb coaching and let's not forget the boys throughout the prem know each other and know what the various clubs do for their players off the field in terms of career development and support of families - Saracens are THE club they want to come to in that regard. Elliot must know our sizeable England contingent pretty well by now, so he won't feel he is coming to somewhere completely alien to him. Our coaches - we know - really look for players who will personally fit, as well as fit in playing capability, so if they think Elliot meets those criteria then I am very happy to welcome him to Sarries!

jjpp12 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:58
Quote:
Eric Browett
It's a no from me. I get great satisfaction and enjoyment seeing players like Nick Tompkins coming through the system to represent the first team. I don't see the need for him. We have enough players away as it is.

100%. We should be developing players like Nick and save marquee space for players who are exceptional talents we can't get anything near to developing from our own academy (the list of which for me, is really very small, and all non-english players)

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:45
Mc Saracens there's truth in your statement but at the same time I think it's pretty obvious that missing so many Internationals has given the club problems too over recent years. Falling short against Leinster having had knackered (and in some cases broken) Internationals delivered back to the club would be a prime example and there are numerous others. Ofc like you Jim55 I am ultimately sure that McCall and the coaches will make the right call but this one just feels to me like one with limited upside. It's clear Daly isn't a FB and despite all his rave plaudits he isn't really a Sarries winger being weak in the air going forwards and back. So that leaves 13 ... not much of a utility player on that basis and in a position where the club already has Lozo, Tompkins and hopefully Taylor.

Quote:
dirtybertie
From what I heard from a very reliable source Saturday Singleton and Judge are done deals, Daly is about 70% done. Skelton has resigned for 2 years.
Bosch, Burger, Strets and one of Whiteley or Taylor will be leaving.

Judge feels like he would be a great addition from what I have seen so far. Would SIngleton be in addition to Woolstencroft who has also impressed both in the tight and loose? All three feels like they make sense and have lots of potential. At the right price likewise Skelton who has really begun to show the value of the work both he and the club have put in.

All those leaving make sense and feels like the right time. The call between Whiteley and Taylor feels like a tough one and I know both have their own supporters.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:20
I'm hazy on the rules here but can Daly be brought in as a "Marquee" signing outside the salary cap? If so does that imply Burger (our current marquee player I believe) is on his way?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:52
No he can't.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:56
Fantastic re Judge. That gives us Koch, Figallo and Judge on the tight.

I heard a rumour re Lamositele leaving, is this right? Really feels like time for either him or Thompson-Stringer to step up....

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 17:25
We are entitled to two marquee players from outside the Prem. Burger, and possibly Sanjay, though not-so-big Will might be the other.

When Burger hangs up his boots, I would go for Malcolm Marx, on a Faf-type arrangement whereby he plays only some tests - the few when the Prem aren't playing!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

dirtybertie (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 19:35
Quote:
TonyTaff
We are entitled to two marquee players from outside the Prem. Burger, and possibly Sanjay, though not-so-big Will might be the other.
When Burger hangs up his boots, I would go for Malcolm Marx, on a Faf-type arrangement whereby he plays only some tests - the few when the Prem aren't playing!

It will more likely be Siya Kolisi or Kwaga Smith than Marx from the rumours I have heard. Kolisi has been offered to other premiership clubs and the club is interested in Smith

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 19:45
An absolutely crazy thought here.

The club is still losing money hand over fist (although not as much as in previous seasons) so given the strength of the normal squad might there be a case for having NO marquee players for a couple of seasons? Save £1M+ for a couple of seasons?

chris87 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:09
Quote:
dirtybertie
Quote:
TonyTaff

It will more likely be Siya Kolisi or Kwaga Smith than Marx from the rumours I have heard. Kolisi has been offered to other premiership clubs and the club is interested in Smith

Out of the two I would rather have Kwaga Smith. Ever since watching him play for the Barbarians last year I have thought that we needed to sign him as our new 7.

That being said, Siya wouldn't be a bad signing either however would command a higher fee.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:16
Wonder if this bit has any truth behind it...

"Daly is reportedly set to join Saracens – for a salary, RugbyPass understands, lower than the one he was offered by Wasps "

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

vunipolae (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:17
Of the tow marquee players one has to be from outside the prem (Probably Williams) but the other only has to have not played for another prem team in the last two years (Farrell, soon to be Itoje probably) burger will have been a marquee when brought in but will likely be on a lower wage after he resigned and surpassed by the likes of Farrell since he resigned

I can't see Itoje leaving if he truly wants £1m as we can place him as a marquee player (so only costs the player he displaces -Farrell at 500k against the salary cap) no other team can do this so he would take a full million against the cap. The other option is France but can't see him giving up on England.

I would really like to re-sign Judge, been impressed so far and expect he can push on with more training

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 20:25 by vunipolae.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:25
Quote:
TonyTaff

Edit - Didn't see Vunipolae's post!

One of the marquee players can be a player who has played with you for at least 2 seasons - presumably Faz as probably our highest paid player.

The other marquee player can also be a current one assuming he was signed from outside the Prem - Sanjay would be my bet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 20:27 by Dolph42.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 21:25
Could be Sanjay but sure they said at the time we got him for less than he was offered to stay in Wales as he wanted to move to London? Could still be marquee player though.

Roger G (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 07:16
Didn't Ed Griffiths say at one of the fans forums that Sarries have a "structured" salary scale, meaning that any marquee player's wage would be outside the cap, but not astronomically high (as it would also have to fit into the structure)? Of course I may have misremembered that.

Waldo (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 09:26
Judge rumored to be going to Bath - shame if true and we can't keep him - I have been impressed in his so far short tenure .

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 10:47
Quote:
McSaracens

Give over.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net