rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
QUARTER FINALISTS!

Latest: LYON 10:28 SARACENS
Next: Saracens V Glasgow Sat 19th Jan, 13.00 Allianz, ECR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Glasgow Sat 19th Jan 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: Elliot Daly to Saracens?
AB (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 10:49
Quote:
Waldo
Judge rumored to be going to Bath - shame if true and we can't keep him - I have been impressed in his so far short tenure .
h
why on earth would anyone in their right minds want to go to Bath_ they might be relegated?

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:06
nearer to Cornwall?

European champions 2016 & 2017

McSaracens (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 09:34
To Mega Therion, I guess we will have to disagree. Daly proved on the Lions tour he is a world class operator with a cannon got a boot. Maitland is a fantastic player, is he world class - no. That said he is in that bracket below - a superb, consistent player.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

GerryK (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 10:56
Quote:
McSaracens
To Mega Therion, I guess we will have to disagree. Daly proved on the Lions tour he is a world class operator with a cannon got a boot. Maitland is a fantastic player, is he world class - no. That said he is in that bracket below - a superb, consistent player.

Despite some great moments-too many errors and too many average performances for me. I believe the consistency and reliability of Maitland outweighs Dalys potential contribution

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 18:57
Sarries play rugby not American football.
There are no special plays for long-range kickers to come on and otherwise the case for Daly is getting weaker by the game. Don't do it Sarries.

Saracens23 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 21:03
All the signings the club make are pretty much ones that that some fans want and some fans don't. However, what has to be agreed is that pretty much all of them have been a success and fit into the club's game plan. If they see Elliott Daly as a good signing I am inclined to agree with them.....

Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 09:25
According to Fissler in today's Rugby Paper, Sarries want Daly as an outside centre and this has made Nick Tompkins unhappy, despite having just signed a new contract.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Maroon Tyke
According to Fissler in today's Rugby Paper, Sarries want Daly as an outside centre and this has made Nick Tompkins unhappy, despite having just signed a new contract.

If true about NT he just needs pointing towards Liam Williams B&I full back
his preferred position, plays on the wing as a rule at Sarries.
Again if true he just needs a word in his shell like, again? that there is no I in team.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 18:03
Quote:
Jim 55

Williams is an International with nothing to prove who came to the club knowing that he wouldn't be starting in his preferred position. Tompkins is a young player who has paid his dues proved he's worth a shot and now looks like he might be shifted around or moved down the pecking order. If he does have concerns about that I am sure he'll address them with the coaches. It would be a real shame to have the same lack of communication that resulted in Earle leaving messing things up with a great prospect.

He's looked excellent every time he's played this season. Set up a lovely try today and was excellent in defence.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 18:33
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Quote:
Jim 55
Williams is an International with nothing to prove who came to the club knowing that he wouldn't be starting in his preferred position. Tompkins is a young player who has paid his dues proved he's worth a shot and now looks like he might be shifted around or moved down the pecking order. If he does have concerns about that I am sure he'll address them with the coaches. It would be a real shame to have the same lack of communication that resulted in Earle leaving messing things up with a great prospect.
He's looked excellent every time he's played this season. Set up a lovely try today and was excellent in defence.
Exactly! NT has worked extremely hard to get where he is with Sarries and never let us down! He's bored his time behind Chello, DT, and this season, Loz. I'd be peed off if it was me, especially if the decision wasn't explained! Personally, I think he has the potential to be a better player than Daly.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 19:07
All I’ve said is it’s a team game. If the coaches bring somebody else in play your part there is no god given right to being selected.
As always if it happens the coaches have done it for a reason.

bargepole (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 20:16
Yes, Dai Young is so fed up with the talk of Daly moving to Sarries, that he made him captain for the last two games.

You can keep Tompkins, Daly will be in a Wasps shirt next season.

Now move along please, nothing to see here.

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

09 December, 2018 20:31
Quote:
bargepole
Yes, Dai Young is so fed up with the talk of Daly moving to Sarries, that he made him captain for the last two games.

thank god for that!
he can look forward to another successful season with you guys then!! smiling smiley

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 17:16
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Quote:
Jim 55

It would be a real shame to have the same lack of communication that resulted in Earle leaving messing things up with a great prospect.

What makes you think that there was a lack of communication with Nathan?

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 18:47
As I understand it he was hearing rumours that players were joining us and the club still hadn't clarified his contract situation. Lewington then Strettle.

At that point he started to look at other options. At least one person I regard as in the know at Sarries mentioned that when Lewington was confirmed Earle still hadn't be told if he would be offered an extension.

By the time Sarries said they wanted to keep him it sounds like things had moved on re Quins. Whether he had actually signed (or agreed to) or it was a case of him not really feeling the love from Sarries I honestly don't know but yeah, from what I've heard that sounds like lack of communication.

Others have mentioned he's happy where he is so I'm glad its worked out for him. With Gustard and Morris it's practically a little Sarries!

EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 10:05
Quote:
bargepole

I would like to see Daly stay at Wasps next season. But why in Dai Young’s pre interview with Nick Mullins on BT sport yesterday not say something along the lines of “ Daly is not out of contract so won’t be going anywhere”? He didn’t say he was going anywhere but didn’t squash the rumour which in itself is a worry

Garp285 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 13:43
Quote:
EnfieldMal
Quote:
bargepole

I would like to see Daly stay at Wasps next season. But why in Dai Young’s pre interview with Nick Mullins on BT sport yesterday not say something along the lines of “ Daly is not out of contract so won’t be going anywhere”? He didn’t say he was going anywhere but didn’t squash the rumour which in itself is a worry
Maybe because if that clause 're the training facilities is true he can't guarantee he's not going anywhere?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 21:53
Fissler has done a reverse ferret in yesterday's RP. Having attributed to Nick Tompkins, that he was unhappy with the prospect of Daly's arrival, he now reports that Nick has denied saying so.

Gutter journalism!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

beshocked (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:38
Elliot Daly is an utility man but the problem is he'd be missing with England a lot.

I'd say that players like Wray,Wyles and Goode have added more value to the team than some other players because of their utility and not being away with England.

I'd rather Saracens look for another 9 as Wigglesworth is 35. Also another flanker to replace Burger.

Being world class doesn't matter at club level. It's more important to be a top class club player.

Some players are more valuable club players than internationals anyway.

Schalk Burger is one of the most prestigious world flankers but at Saracens he's done a job but in my opinion has added less value than other backrowers.

Ben Earl is likely to go on and add much more value and Wray despite no England caps has added so much to this Saracens side.

It's not about fame, it's about form.

Without Alex Goode for example, Saracens wouldn't be where they are despite him not being in England contention recently.

His creativity was arguably one of the decisive factors that won the final vs Exeter this year.

Of course rugby is a team game and you need different players but Exeter sorely miss a creative player like Goode. It's why they have signed Hogg to try and fix it.

I don't think Daly would be worth such a salary.

Maitland has been great because he came from a struggling LI and his confidence is now sky high.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 19:12
Quote:
beshocked
Without Alex Goode for example, Saracens wouldn't be where they are despite him not being in England contention recently.

Without Owen Farrell for example, Saracens wouldn't be where they are despite him being in England contention recently.

So there you have it. That's not really a point is it? The same could be said for Billy. Maro, Jamie, Mako etc.

A squad needs all sorts and the better the players are the better the squad and the more depth we have the better for Saracens. It's obvious we will lose some players for some of the time but the facts of the matter are that we have most of our players for most of the time. We win stuff; the results are there to prove it.

Anyway as I said it's up to MMcC and I trust him implicitly.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 10:36
Sunday's Rugby Paper has a letter from a Trefor Jones of Derby - presumably a fellow expat Taff, but that's where the similarity ends.

He complains that Sarries have the largest squad in the Premises (44). He then goes on to deduce that we must be breaking the salary cap.

I am minded to respond to the paper, pointing out that our squad is bolstered by the greatest number of academy graduates in the Prem. I suspect that Trefor supports a club that moved from Berkshire to Warwickshire, thereby disrupting the supply from their academy, and who now find that a star player is, allegedly, prepared to leave early because of the paucity of training facilities at their new location.

Waldo (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 11:03
Data supplied by Alex Shaw for Rugby Pass in August of this year would suggest we don't have the Largest Squad - that would be Bath & Exeter.

Club Squad size Academy graduates % of squad homegrown
Bath 66 27 40.9%
Bristol Bears 64 16 25%
Exeter Chiefs 66 31 47%
Gloucester 58 26 44.8%
Harlequins 61 33 54.1%
Tigers 57 28 49.1%
Falcons 59 28 47.5%
Saints 53 25 47.2%
Sale Sharks 47 27 57.4%
Saracens 61 35 57.4%
Wasps 58 17 29.3%
Warriors 61 21 34.4%

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 11:14
Quote:
GazzaFez
A squad needs all sorts and the better the players are the better the squad and the more depth we have the better for Saracens.

I agree.

We know we'll lose Daly during the international period. We also lose Faz, Maro, Mako etc. Our squad depth and rotation policy is there throughout the season and that's where guys like Nick Tompkins (who is having a cracking season in my view) come into their own.

Daly will be joining for the crunch stages of Europe where we need to compete on quality against a first rate fresh Leinster side or Racing side. Loz will move to 12 I think to replace Brad who won't have too long left and Daly will slot in at 13.

If you look at the team we fielded against Leinster last year, this was the backline:

Wiggy, Farrell, Maitland, Brad, Bosch, Sanjay, Goode

If we played them at the same stage next season, it would be:

Spenno, Farrell, Maitland, Loz, Daly, Sanjay, Goode.

That would be much more equipped to deal with Leinster's pace.

Regarding the salary cap - I think it's all probably nonsense. All these boys earn a small fortune from international rugby and sponsorship. They will be paid less by us what they can earn elsewhere because they know with us they may well win something and be involved in a class side. They won't be struggling financially.

JO'G (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 12:06
Quote:
TonyTaff
Sunday's Rugby Paper has a letter from a Trefor Jones of Derby - presumably a fellow expat Taff, but that's where the similarity ends.
He complains that Sarries have the largest squad in the Premises (44). He then goes on to deduce that we must be breaking the salary cap.

I am minded to respond to the paper, pointing out that our squad is bolstered by the greatest number of academy graduates in the Prem. I suspect that Trefor supports a club that moved from Berkshire to Warwickshire, thereby disrupting the supply from their academy, and who now find that a star player is, allegedly, prepared to leave early because of the paucity of training facilities at their new location.

a couple of observations TT.

1) We also get the biggest amount of Salary Cap as we have more Internationals who get a rebate when away (especially with England) to replace them

2) I'm not taken with the complaints by Waspies on their missing academy. given its only one year they were adversly affected and that 3 years ago when they moved. all of the academy feed into their current senior squad would have been from players who were signed up when they were at Wycombe. Accepted that next years senior intake might not be great - but they always have the option of offering lads from other academies a contract early ; lets face it Bath do this all the time. In a couple of years, they will have their new players from the midlands

One of the things that Saracens do better than almost any club is to take ion lads into the last year of the academy who have been told they are surplus to requirements at their current club; or cannot be paid what they are worth there. Mako and Henry Taylor for example

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 12:23
Quote:
JO'G
1) We also get the biggest amount of Salary Cap as we have more Internationals who get a rebate when away (especially with England) to replace them

For me there's false logic there JO'G because it sort of implies that's a good thing.

The reality is Sarries basically subsidise English rugby to a ridiculous extent. The club gets "up to" (I am not sure what defines that, minutes played? games played? etc) £80K per International and on the basis that most Internationals miss between a third and half a season that seems a poor deal. Forget Marquee, lets say a good English International on £300K. With the player release payments from the RFU you could be "losing" somewhere between 20K and 70K for the privilege of having an English International in the squad. As for the idea of paying Marque money for say, Maro, and not having him half the year that seems like a mind-numbingly bad use of money however good he is (and I think he's fantastic)

beshocked (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 15:06
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
beshocked

Without Owen Farrell for example, Saracens wouldn't be where they are despite him being in England contention recently.

So there you have it. That's not really a point is it? The same could be said for Billy. Maro, Jamie, Mako etc.

A squad needs all sorts and the better the players are the better the squad and the more depth we have the better for Saracens. It's obvious we will lose some players for some of the time but the facts of the matter are that we have most of our players for most of the time. We win stuff; the results are there to prove it.

Anyway as I said it's up to MMcC and I trust him implicitly.

Do I really have to state the obvious? Farrell isn't available to Saracens every single game of the season.

Yes he comes in for the business end but you still need players playing all year round to get you to that position.

You might think this doesn't matter but it does - Saracens is more than just the current internationals.

Unfortunately too many fans focus just on the likes of Farrell,Mako,George,Itoje,Billy.

It's disappointing. Rugby is about the squad.

No the current internationals don't need to be mentioned every other minute, they get enough praise as it is.

I'd rather focus on the players who don't get the glory/limelight but do their part too.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 15:26
Quote:
beshocked
Rugby is about the squad.
No the current internationals don't need to be mentioned every other minute, they get enough praise as it is.
I'd rather focus on the players who don't get the glory/limelight but do their part too.

Great post.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 19:04
Quote:
beshocked
Do I really have to state the obvious?

I wish you wouldn't keep doing so, but don't stop on my behalf (Sm14)

Look we're both pushing from opposite ends towards the centre of the same stick here. Honestly we really do get that the troops, unsung heroes or whatever you want to call them are absolutely vital to the cause. That's never been in dispute. But that's not a revelation it really is stating the obvious.

However, what you won't seem to acknowledge is that we need more than that. To win European cup matches and finals we need the Billies, Makos, Owens of this world because you are kidding yourself if you think we can win these big games using the troops, who yes undoubtedly do their bit to get us there. If you don't believe that then look no further than Chiefs. The brutal hard truth is if there was a cup final tomorrow and they were both fit, then Billy would start and Jackson Wray would be on the bench or not in the 23. Does that diminish Jackson? No of course it doesn't as the squad would be impoverished without players of his ilk.

And don't worry yourself, there's plenty of love and praise to go around for ALL the players.

beshocked (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 09:42
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
beshocked
Do I really have to state the obvious?

I wish you wouldn't keep doing so, but don't stop on my behalf (Sm14)

Look we're both pushing from opposite ends towards the centre of the same stick here. Honestly we really do get that the troops, unsung heroes or whatever you want to call them are absolutely vital to the cause. That's never been in dispute. But that's not a revelation it really is stating the obvious.

However, what you won't seem to acknowledge is that we need more than that. To win European cup matches and finals we need the Billies, Makos, Owens of this world because you are kidding yourself if you think we can win these big games using the troops, who yes undoubtedly do their bit to get us there. If you don't believe that then look no further than Chiefs. The brutal hard truth is if there was a cup final tomorrow and they were both fit, then Billy would start and Jackson Wray would be on the bench or not in the 23. Does that diminish Jackson? No of course it doesn't as the squad would be impoverished without players of his ilk.

And don't worry yourself, there's plenty of love and praise to go around for ALL the players.

My point is we don't need to praise those players who already get praised enough.

I was talking in the context of making a big signing like Daly. Don't you think Saracens have enough internationals already?

I'd rather see Saracens strengthen the depth further than add someone who though a good player I feel see adding that much IMO.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 12:38
While I think we have great wingers and FB options imagine the pressure you could exert on teams if we convert all those penalties on the half way line and beyond into 3 points. You basically would not want to concede penalties outside of our 22!

Waldo (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 06:46
Quote:
Wayoutwest
While I think we have great wingers and FB options imagine the pressure you could exert on teams if we convert all those penalties on the half way line and beyond into 3 points. You basically would not want to concede penalties outside of our 22!

Thing is we could do that with Bosch but we didn't

GraemeW (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 08:36
But Bosch's success rate with long kicks is only about 1:10. Luckily one of them was in Paris on Easter Sunday!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 10:02
Dale's success rate is much less than 100%, ergo, we wouldn't kick ALL our goals.

I am in a pedantic mood, having struggled through a Nick Cain article!

JO'G (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 10:16
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Quote:
JO'G

For me there's false logic there JO'G because it sort of implies that's a good thing.

The reality is Sarries basically subsidise English rugby to a ridiculous extent. The club gets "up to" (I am not sure what defines that, minutes played? games played? etc) £80K per International and on the basis that most Internationals miss between a third and half a season that seems a poor deal. Forget Marquee, lets say a good English International on £300K. With the player release payments from the RFU you could be "losing" somewhere between 20K and 70K for the privilege of having an English International in the squad. As for the idea of paying Marque money for say, Maro, and not having him half the year that seems like a mind-numbingly bad use of money however good he is (and I think he's fantastic)

Actually it is a good thing. Sarries can develop players who can play for England or take on Internationals like Willams and Maitland, knowing that the compensation for them means (for eaxample) they can afford to give Strettle a contract. I'm aware that developing a Maro does mean he wants more money; but at least you can hire Dom Day or both the Kpokus on the money you get from international appearances

It does mean as well the nightmare that it is to maintain the salary cap. Sarries will be short by 10 appearance benefits in the AIs with Billy, Mako and Kruis not appearing due to injury

samlee99 (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 10:35
Quote:
JO'G
It does mean as well the nightmare that it is to maintain the salary cap.

Oh the utter irony!

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 10:55
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
JO'G

Oh the utter irony!

Christmas school holidays have started...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Waldo (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:31
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
JO'G

Oh the utter irony!

Good observation - samleee does seem more prevalent during the school hols - what do you reckon Teacher , Pupil , or canteen staff ?

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:55
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
JO'G

Oh the utter irony!

Good observation - samleee does seem more prevalent during the school hols - what do you reckon Teacher , Pupil , or canteen staff ?

Truant

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:57
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
JO'G

Oh the utter irony!

Good observation - 7samleee does seem more prevalent during the school hols - what do you reckon Teacher , Pupil , or canteen staff ?

Truant

I feel a Troll Poll coming on!!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

samlee99 (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 18:18
The truth still hurts then does it?

Good.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 19:43
Quote:
samlee99
The truth still hurts then does it?
Good.

I hope, Sam, you have a great Christmas and New Year.

The 'hurt' seems to be within!

Thank you - my New Years resolution is quite simple - I hope you get over what's troubling you.

Take care.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 20:35
(Sm108)

samlee99 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 12:22
Dave the berk,

Happy Christmas to you. Unfortunately it seems you won't get over the disappointment of all your "achievements" being tainted.

Good to see.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 13:22
As I understand - done deal.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 22:05
I really hope it isn't. Todays game was more confirmation if needed that Sarries are better off looking at other options.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
24 December, 2018 11:20
The Pests forum getting very excited about the last line in this press release - who exactly is the "good news" on player retention?

Player retention

Gryff (IP Logged)
24 December, 2018 12:01
A SA newsite says they are stopping Willie Le Roux leaving. TRP says they are trying to sign Sione Vailanu to replace Hughes

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2018 12:21
Oh dear. I think I'd be even more annoyed if we lost Vailanu whilst "gaining" Daly. I know, I know, in McCall we trust but even so I'm not convinced. Am honestly a bit surprised at the lack of gametime in the 23 for Vailanu. I know he picked up and injury or two and he's certainly raw so needs to learn but you can't teach his level of physicality and impact and it's something Sarries sorely miss right now. In amongst the problems of the past weekend were a backrow balance that didn't really work.

Neville (IP Logged)
24 December, 2018 17:15
I'd like to agree, but when he's stated he's been poor. Dropping the kick off more than once early on this season.

The fact that he's nowhere near our first team, and that wed prefer to play with 3 blindsides in the back row instead speaks volumes

25 December, 2018 09:24
I would like to see him get a run off bench versus Worcester so we can settle the argument!

European champions 2016 & 2017

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net