rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
QUARTER FINALISTS!

Latest: LYON 10:28 SARACENS
Next: Saracens V Glasgow Sat 19th Jan, 13.00 Allianz, ECR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Glasgow Sat 19th Jan 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: Elliot Daly to Saracens?
VyvyansNo1Fan (IP Logged)
25 December, 2018 18:21
Odd that given all the supposed 'inside knowledge' posted here that no-one has mentioned what has been known for some time within the Club that Alex Goode is leaving for France at the end of this season...wont mention where he is going...but believe me he is off. He's won everything he can with Sarries and knows EJ will not pick him for England, so is taking the cash on offer for a 3 year contact. Hence, the Daly deal makes every sense.

samgibbo (IP Logged)
25 December, 2018 22:48
Didnít know about Goode leaving. Thatís gutting. Who will play FB if/when Daly is on international duty? That will be a HUGE loss but donít blame him for cashing in.

CT (IP Logged)
25 December, 2018 23:39
Find that hard to believe seeing as Goode has previously said moving to France doesn't interest him and that McCall hinted that Daly will play centre.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 09:05
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan
Alex Goode is leaving for France at the end of this season...wont mention where he is going...Hence, the Daly deal makes every sense.

Whether that's true or not the logic of a key Sarries player being off and replaced with a player who is substandard as a FB replacement is flawed beyond belief rather than making sense IMO, so personally I'll be taking your statement with a mountain of salt.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 09:17
Quote:
samlee99
Dave the berk,
Happy Christmas to you. Unfortunately it seems you won't get over the disappointment of all your "achievements" being tainted.

Good to see.

Lean back in chair, stretch arms into the air and YAWN (a really big one).

GerryK (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 11:37
If Alex does go, the most obvious replacement is Sanjay, his preferred position. With possibly Daley on the wing

John Tee (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 18:34
Correct me if I'm wrong but how can a player still with a year on his contract be a done deal. What rules would have been broken for tapping up a player 'in contract' not only for this season but the next as well?

If every mode of media knows about it then how can a strong sanction be avoided?

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 19:33
Smoke and mirrors at its best. His agent is earning his fee I expect.

Who would you like to sanction for that?

John Tee (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 19:44
For the agent? Yep, certainly.

I would hope Saracens would also run a mile...

If it turns out to be true, then I'd expect the rugby authorities to be all over it.

CT (IP Logged)
26 December, 2018 19:51
How long he has left on his contract is irrelevant if he has a get out clause.

Waldo (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 07:35
I haven't seen Mr Fisler report on this - so it can't be true (Sm14)

John Tee (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 08:35
I'd wonder what a get out clause could be about....?

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 12:54
Quote:
John Tee

It's too with training facilities allegedly... (Or a lack off in wasps part)

Cannot find the link where I read this

And what the hell is all this about Goode leaving?!
Goode is Saracens through and through, if he leaves at this stage of his career I'd be astonished, in 2 or 3 years yes end his career in France maybe.. but not yet

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 15:23
Quote:
John Tee

Quote from Coventry Live

Rumours have suggested that a lack of progression on the club's training ground facilities as a reason for wanting away, with Elliot Daly linked with a move to Saracens due to a reported clause in his contract linked to the success of finding a permanent training ground base.

Of course with the media it can be 'we don't know but we can make something likely up'.

John Tee (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 22:58
Hmmmm... seriously..???
Training ground facilities... What about match day facilties.
They must be as good as anyone's...

Don't buy it myself...who is he trying to kid??

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 03:08
Quote:
John Tee
Hmmmm... seriously..???
Training ground facilities... What about match day facilties.
They must be as good as anyone's...

Don't buy it myself...who is he trying to kid??

Did you not pick up on the tension swirling around Wasps last season about facilities? Haskell was openly mocking it. For all the clowning around, he takes his training & diet very seriously and there are very few 120kg players at his level of fitness & work rate.

CT (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 02:19
Looks like no one has told Goode he's moving to France.

Interview

Innings (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:52
But is Daly arrived, and couldn't get the 15 shirt of Goode, what would Eddie do then? Drop Daly, who wasn't getting the game time he needed, stick with Brown, try yet another Anyone but Goode player?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:23
It just shows how ridiculous the speculation is. Is Daly coming to Sarries? not a clue.
Is he coming to compete with Goode for the 15 shirt? not a chance I'd suggest. Having watched him this weekend I'm still hoping he gets nowhere near the club other than as a Wasps player visiting.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:39
Quote:
CT
Looks like no one has told Goode he's moving to France.

Interview

Encouraging. Really hope is staying to fight for his place. Contender for the best English Qualified player at the moment

AB (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 15:46
Vyvyans No 1 fan is well known for posting misleading and frankly deliberately provocative remarks. Alex is the special guest on Rugby Tonight this Wednesday and if he harbours any hopes of Playing in World Cup he will not get picked if he is in France.

Best to ignore his remarks.l

PotNoodleHorn (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 22:54
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan
Odd that given all the supposed 'inside knowledge' posted here that no-one has mentioned what has been known for some time within the Club that Alex Goode is leaving for France at the end of this season...wont mention where he is going...but believe me he is off. He's won everything he can with Sarries and knows EJ will not pick him for England, so is taking the cash on offer for a 3 year contact. Hence, the Daly deal makes every sense.

Utter Tosh smiling smiley

beshocked (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 10:50
Still don't know why Saracens are chasing Daly so much.

Sure he's a good player but other areas need strengthening.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 10:56
a couple of non international props would be good!

European champions 2016 & 2017

JO'G (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 12:11
listening to the podcasts this week - even Bryan Moore thinks its a done deal

don't really understand it myself

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 12:13
Quote:
JO'G
listening to the podcasts this week - even Bryan Moore thinks its a done deal
don't really understand it myself

Big Jim on Rugby Pod also... likewise can't see the attraction..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 12:29
Long term I think he'll be 13 with Loz replacing Brad at 12.

I totally get it. He's a class player.

Saracens should be good enough to get into the top 4 every season and get out of their European Cup group every season (whoever plays). So the question is: can Saracens win 5 games (three European Cup knockouts and the Premiership play-offs).

Does Daly improve our chances of doing that? Yes. Can we afford him? Sounds like it.

Therefore, if he wants in, sign him.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 15:18
No, no and thrice no!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 16:24
Quote:
SarrieSaint
No, no and thrice no!

Alex Goode ducked the question on RT last night. I think that is rather telling don't you? I agree with MMcC whatever that may be (Sm14)

Get him in!

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 18:00
I did a pros and cons list earlier for fun and simply can't make a case for him. The pros that there are just don't justify the cons.
That said when it comes down to comparing our relative successes with building winning rugby teams I think McCall may know a thing or two more than me ... just a hunch!

myleftboot (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 18:58
Sarriesaint, that's it for me, if McCall thinks he's another piece in the jigsaw, that's fine by me! Replacement for Bosch's boot perhaps?!!
As an English International, moving from another Prem side, would that mean he wouldn't be able to be a marquee player?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:20
I'd really hope that if he's moving at all it's for either what he's on or less than that.
As it is I can see some positives in him coming to Sarries but far more for him than Sarries. Could we find as good or better players than him? certainly. Could he find a better club to join? doubtful if he's after silverware and a winning culture.

If Sarries are spending marquee money that would be an inexplicable call for me.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 09:00
I think most of Mark's signings that have come have all benefited and improved from the coaching and club environment. Players seem to thrive at Sarries these days.

Elliot is a fine fine player but imagine the player he could be with the help of the club?

Also having players coming to the club that can play multiple positions very well only helps us at times of injury and rotation. We seem to be developing / looking for those type of players now. Faz 10/12 Loz 10/12/13/15/11/14, Maro and Nick I 4/5/6/7 Liam 11/14/15

Elliot would give us options at 13/11/14/15 and give us a long range kicker when Bosch goes.

Could be the best signing we ever make, if it happens....

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 19:19
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Could we find as good or better players than him? certainly.

Having watched this board for years, there are few other groups of supporters so frequently negative about incoming players.

Can you actually NAME a better 13 coming out of contract this year if you could "certainly" find one? Daly only doesn't play 13 all the time for England as he's good enough to keep people out of other shirts too, and that allows Jones to have his cake and eat it. Good enough for the British and Irish Lions but not good enough for Saracens - incredible.

I am fully expecting "Elliott is God" threads to appear before next Christmas. Only Saracens fans could swap a retiring Bosch for Elliott Daly and think you were doing the lad a favour, and you'll quickly change your tunes if he stays fit.

A couple of years ago a load of you told me Calum Clark, who I believe started your last couple of premiership games at 7, was a rubbish signing and wouldn't get a look in at Saracens.

Some of you chaps make the moat dyed in the wool Saints and Tigers fans look magnanimous and unbiased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 19:21 by MarchingIn.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 19:26
Quote:
MarchingIn
Quote:
SarrieSaint

Having watched this board for years, there are few other groups of supporters so frequently negative about incoming players.

Can you actually NAME a better 13 coming out of contract this year if you could "certainly" find one? Daly only doesn't play 13 all the time for England as he's good enough to keep people out of other shirts too, and that allows Jones to have his cake and eat it. Good enough for the British and Irish Lions but not good enough for Saracens - incredible.

I am fully expecting "Elliott is God" threads to appear before next Christmas. Only Saracens fans could swap a retiring Bosch for Elliott Daly and think you were doing the lad a favour, and you'll quickly change your tunes if he stays fit.

A couple of years ago a load of you told me Calum Clark, who I believe started your last couple of premiership games at 7, was a rubbish signing and wouldn't get a look in at Saracens.

Some of you chaps make the moat dyed in the wool Saints and Tigers fans look magnanimous and unbiased.

Careful, far too much common sense being spouted there and youíre not wrong!

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:22
Quote:
MarchingIn

To pick a few tiny holes in that statement:
Daly ISN'T out of contract this year.
Daly is played on the wing or at FB as Jones doesn't rate him as a 13. I'd suggest that's beyond obvious as Jones has played five? I believe other players there and given Daly a couple of starts.
On what basis is Daly such an outstanding 13?
He doesn't start there for his club or Country and his purple patch in that position was maybe a season long. James today showed the threat of an inform 13. Lozo has shown that too in the past especially in last seasons final but I appreciate that's a small body of work. Add Heem, Mills, Tuilagi even Te'o and you have a reasonable list of players some of whom could even double down at 12 (add Williams) and actually solve a problem Sarries have.

Daly looked very good for the Lions on the wing. That's three games in which he had two or three real class moments. Would you say they were reflective of his play generally over the lasy three or four seasons? He has looked very good for England on the wing. Are Sarries signing him, if he comes, as a wing? or are they signing him as a centre and utility player in which case given his International status and availability I don't really get it.

Quote:
MarchingIn
Not me.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:07
When you think about who Jones has or hasn't picked, remember that he wants to balance the weight and tackle breaking ability of the backline. With the majority of his tenure with England revolving around a Ford/Farrell 10/12 axis, he has mainly limited himself to picking lumps at 13 through his own philosophy. With Farrell now seemingly preferred at 10, that opens the opportunity to play other options at 12 like T'eo, and all of a sudden there is less rationale not to play Daly at 13.

However, if you've got a player like Daly who you can use for 80 minutes anywhere in the back 3 or at 13, then it becomes a question of whether you'd rather have maybe Manu Tuilagi at 13 with Daly outside him, or Daly at 13 with a winger outside him and Tuilagi warming a bench - then you put Daly on the wing, not because Manu is a better 13, but because he will have more influence on the game than any winger you can pick to start outside Daly.

I rate Tompkins & Lozowski, although their defensive positioning last night was off. Daly brings something extra though, and personally I expect to see him at 13 more than wing or fullback, but equally maybe he IS coming as a back 3 player. You're short of them and Strettle will be hanging his boots up again. You've got a history of big external signings to the wing with Ashton and Williams coming in as experienced internationals. Either way, he is equally as good or better than any of your current 13/back 3 in my book, albeit very different to Goode who I rate very highly.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 17:30
The overwhelming choice to partner the Ford/Farrell axis was Jonathan Joseph at 13. He is nothing like a big lump but he was out of form for about a season in anything other than defence at the same time Jones brought Daly in for the first time. We've seen game time for Lozo, Slade and I think maybe even Devoto? there in comparison to the caps for Te'o. If a big lump has played more than 25% of the time at 13 under Jones I'd be very surprised.

I get you've a different view but I still don't see what Dalys credentials are as this incredible 13? In form he's good and has a lovely outside break and a huge boot but he's not proved himself there at any level other than club and even there that was for a relatively short period where he looked very good compared to some fairly normal stuff.

will311293 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:39
Hi All, Wasps fan here.. just been looking at a rumour thatís come onto our page that obviously the Daly deal is done but that Vailanu and Malins may be heading the other direction. I know we were linked to Vailanu earlier in the season and heís out of contract and Daly has been rumoured for such a long time but is Malins our of contract?

I heard that he signed a new deal in 2017 for 2 years but wondering if anyone Sarries side had heard this as if so, they would be excellent counterweights for Daly!

JO'G (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:49
If Daly could play 12 then I would be really happy with this. That's exactly what we need a 12 to rotate with brad. We have seen from the last few games that both Los and Tompkins are better at 13 and with a decent player making some space inside them are good enough for the task and both have 5 years playing time in them.

We are stacked with decent wingers too, 12 is our only problem area in the backs only because brad is so good and puts his body on the line each week. I would prefer Teo than Daly although a decent south sea islanders or south African lump would do as well.

CT (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 14:05
Quote:
will311293
Hi All, Wasps fan here.. just been looking at a rumour thatís come onto our page that obviously the Daly deal is done but that Vailanu and Malins may be heading the other direction. I know we were linked to Vailanu earlier in the season and heís out of contract and Daly has been rumoured for such a long time but is Malins our of contract?
I heard that he signed a new deal in 2017 for 2 years but wondering if anyone Sarries side had heard this as if so, they would be excellent counterweights for Daly!

Malins and Vailanu are out of contract in 2020.

will311293 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 14:44
Quote:
CT
Quote:
will311293

Malins and Vailanu are out of contract in 2020.

Cheers for that... shame if we were to lose Daly to you, those two would be nice haha

The Bard (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:31
I spoke to someone over the Xmas break who knows Max and wondered if heíd be leaving to get more game time.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:33
Quote:
The Bard
I spoke to someone over the Xmas break who knows Max and wondered if heíd be leaving to get more game time.
is the likes of Bedford or Irish (with Kennedy on the staff) not a viable option for a loan? I'm guessing we don't have enough cover at ten

beshocked (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 16:23
Quote:
MarchingIn
Quote:
SarrieSaint

Calum Clark has done alright but in terms of backrowers, he's not really been as valuable as the likes of Rhodes,Wray and Billy.V

Maitland I admit has been a better signing than I'd thought he'd be.

L.Williams has been good in his appearances but has been absent a lot.

Daly would be missing with England a lot.

I feel Saracens have more issues at the breakdown rather than the backline so I'd rather see a quality backrower to help protect the ball and help generate quick ball and get turnovers.

Too many 2nd rows deputised in the backrow at the moment.

Schalk Burger is also too old, too slow, lacking power now.

Need to find the next Richard Hill.

It's a shame Will Fraser had to retire as he had great potential.

Ben Earl could develop into a great backrower I guess but still a work in progress.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 16:26 by beshocked.

Madpole76 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 17:29
Havenít really had what I call a genuine openside since Will Fraser . I think Earl can certainly be in that category but agree he is a work in progress. Think we need an Underhill type 7 and that is where we should look at recruiting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 19:08 by Madpole76.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 21:08
Quote:
Madpole76
Havenít really had what I call a genuine openside since Will Fraser . I think Earl can certainly be in that category but agree he is a work in progress. Think we need an Underhill type 7 and that is where we should look at recruiting

The openside role keeps changing though. At least in my view.

Last season despite being away for much of the season Maro ended the season either top or right up there in turn-over steals. This season Curry I think is close to the top and Kvesic is regarded as another good openside in a skills sense even if he plays 8.

We've played both those players in recent weeks and all I saw was an endless procession of them killing the ball in a manner I'd have put down as more like the spoiling work you often associate with a blindside. Both had a material effect on the game but in my view neither would have been on the field beyond the first twenty with a competent referee.

So do we follow the path of "if you can't beat them, join them?" in which case all we're after is a player who is quick around the field and will flop over the ball and carrier as soon as they get to the breakdown. Feel we can probably find one of those.

Clark had a great game in getting some important turnovers a couple of weeks ago and generally competing hard and mostly legally so last week Sarries started Burger ...

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 08:25
High Wycombe is in Buckinghamshire.
Been a Wasp since 1985 and never heard of Trefor Jones, Tony Taff. Derby is a long way from Coventry too. Not sure your evidence adds up!
Sad to see a number of players leave us, but Dalyís Head is clearly not right and his form has suffered. So for his sake, Iíd be happy to see him go. But we have to stop losing our best players.

Quote:
TonyTaff
Sunday's Rugby Paper has a letter from a Trefor Jones of Derby - presumably a fellow expat Taff, but that's where the similarity ends.
He complains that Sarries have the largest squad in the Premises (44). He then goes on to deduce that we must be breaking the salary cap.

I am minded to respond to the paper, pointing out that our squad is bolstered by the greatest number of academy graduates in the Prem. I suspect that Trefor supports a club that moved from Berkshire to Warwickshire, thereby disrupting the supply from their academy, and who now find that a star player is, allegedly, prepared to leave early because of the paucity of training facilities at their new location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 08:30 by Buzzboy.

JO'G (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 11:35
Quote:
Buzzboy
Been a Wasp since 1985 and never heard of Trefor Jones, Tony Taff. Derby is a long way from Coventry too. Not sure your evidence adds up!
Sad to see a number of players leave us, but Dalyís Head is clearly not right and his form has suffered. So for his sake, Iíd be happy to see him go. But we have to stop losing our best players.

Quote:
TonyTaff
Sunday's Rugby Paper has a letter from a Trefor Jones of Derby - presumably a fellow expat Taff, but that's where the similarity ends.
He complains that Sarries have the largest squad in the Premises (44). He then goes on to deduce that we must be breaking the salary cap.

I am minded to respond to the paper, pointing out that our squad is bolstered by the greatest number of academy graduates in the Prem. I suspect that Trefor supports a club that moved from Berkshire to Warwickshire, thereby disrupting the supply from their academy, and who now find that a star player is, allegedly, prepared to leave early because of the paucity of training facilities at their new location.

At the risk of being a pedant, Wasps played all their Academy games either at Henley or at Maidenhead whilst they were playing their first team games in Wycombe. They also had a few games at Reading Abbey where the Fatboy 7's take place. All those are in Berkshire.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 14:26
Quote:
JO'G
Quote:
Buzzboy

Quote:
TonyTaff

At the risk of being a pedant, Wasps played all their Academy games either at Henley or at Maidenhead whilst they were playing their first team games in Wycombe. They also had a few games at Reading Abbey where the Fatboy 7's take place. All those are in Berkshire.

Henley-on-Thames is in Oxfordshire.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net