rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

S'up for Cardiff
sutton_sarrie (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:37
Mako Vunipola returns from injury to start for Saracens against Cardiff Blues in the Heineken Champions Cup.

The England prop has been sidelined through injury since the European tie at Glasgow Warriors in October, a match which saw brother Billy and Nick Isiekwe pick up injuries.

The latter scored as he featured for the first time in eight weeks last time out against Wasps; he partners Will Skelton in the second row.

Hooker Jamie George broke his nose in what is being dubbed ‘the Battle of Glasgow’. He will make his 50th European appearance on Sunday.

Elsewhere, Schalk Burger comes in on the flank and Owen Farrell is reinstated at fly-half with Alex Goode switching back to full-back.
Saracens team to face Cardiff Blues at Allianz Park in the Heineken Champions Cup on Sunday 9th December (KO 13H00):

FORWARDS: Mako Vunipola (151), Jamie George (205), Vincent Koch (47), Nick Isiekwe (43), Will Skelton (38), Mike Rhodes (81), Schalk Burger (60), Jackson Wray (209).

BACKS: Alex Goode (272), Sean Maitland (50), Alex Lozowski (69), Brad Barritt (233), Alex Lewington (12), Owen Farrell (181), Richard Wigglesworth (219).

REPLACEMENTS: Tom Woolstencroft (6), Richard Barrington (147), Christian Judge (7), Dom Day (19), Calum Clark (24), Ben Earl (25), Ben Spencer (134), Nick Tompkins (80).

Re: S'up for Cardiff
JO'G (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:45
oooh no Maro Itoje
oooh no maro Itoje

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 11:47 by JO'G .

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:56
but Mako's backo!

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:57
Cardiff Blues: Matthew Morgan; Blaine Scully, Harri Millard, Jarrod Evans, Jason Harries; Gareth Anscombe, Lloyd Williams (capt); Rhys Gill, Kirby Myhill, Dillon Lewis, George Earle, Seb Davies, Josh Turnbull, Olly Robinson, Samu Manoa

Replacements: Ethan Lewis, Brad Thyer, Scott Andrews, Macauley Cook, Nick Williams, Lewis Jones, Steven Shingler, Garyn Smith

Be good to see Rhys Gill again

Rubz (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 12:05
No Tolofua on the injured list (Itoje, Billy, Kruis, Williams, Strettle, Sasagi, Thompson-Stringer, Super Dunc). Does this mean Woolstencroft is now above him in the pecking order?

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 12:20
I reckon it does Rubz

European champions 2016 & 2017

Paulr58 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 12:21
Where's Figallo ?

JO'G (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 12:51
blimey Rhys Gill - thats a yellow card from the past

FezOnaBike (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 15:56
I wonder if Mr Skelton will be reintroducing himself to Samu Manoa, I still
marvel at that try saving tackle, when we played Toulon at AP a couple of years
ago.

'Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....'

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 16:02
Quote:
Paulr58
Where's Figallo ?

Might we be showing Mr Judge a good reason to join us rather than Bath?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 18:26
Quote:
Sara'sman
Quote:
Paulr58
Where's Figallo ?

Might we be showing Mr Judge a good reason to join us rather than Bath?

Peut être!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

nicsue (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 16:32
Well that was fun.

The Cardiff fans were fun. I said to one chap "I am admiring your wellies (Cardiff Blues branded blue wellies)" Quick as a flash his mate says "And we are admiring your team!"

Bit of a worry about Jackson Wray going off with a head injury - is that three times in four matches?

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 17:02
I found the Cardiff fans brilliant. Very complimentary about the set up at Sarries. Pioneers excellent, everyone totally welcoming. Funnily enough only issue was ticket prices!! Not just us then!!!!!!!!!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 17:13
Well that was a classic game of two halves! Pretty ropey for large parts of the first half and rampant in the second half.

Anyway, that result propels us straight into top seed at the halfway stage. For what it's worth if the scores on the doors remained the same that would see us with a home quarter final against Ulster as the 8th placed team, being the third best of the three runners up to qualify.

Huge congratulations to Christian Judge on his try. The smile on his face was reward enough!

BBC are reporting that Maro Itoje will be out for between 4 and 8 weeks. The former we can live with, but the latter will see him fit again just in time for the 6N which is a joke. McCall said he was fine with the way England have looked after him but there is a suggestion that he played through the AIs having sustained the injury in the training camp before the first match. If so, then not happy at all.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 17:52
Gazzafez do we know when it was diagnosed? Sarries also played him once he returned so I'm guessing it was after that?

I can understand if Judge feels he might get more game time or money elsewhere but as you say he looked pretty happy and the guys looked happy for him. Is it just me being overly optimistic thinking if they knew he was off they'd have been less happy? probably they're just a smashing bunch of lads.

Agree about game of two half too. For me you saw a big issue with the way the breakdown is interpreted. First half we basically didn't compete I am guessing for fear of being penalised? The effect was compounded for Sarries because the referee was allowing the Cardiff players to go off-feet competing or simply kill the ball at will. Very hard for the team to build any momentum.

Some great moments in the game and Rhodes tight-rope walk/run along then just onto the line ruled out what would have been a smashing try. Mako looked like he'd never been away. Interesting to note that Sarries were much more willing to offload than they've been in a while.

One thing re Skelton. Another very good game and I wonder if we might use him stepping over the tackle more often in the future. It's a long way to go down for him to compete so he normally stands off. Today he took a giant step over and the second man there could easily steal whilst the Blues tried fruitlessly to clear Skelton. It was brilliant.

Tompkins came on and showed lovely soft hands to put Judge away. Phone home Eliiot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2018 18:03 by SarrieSaint.

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 17:58
Goodly number of empty seats in the west stand - surprisingly enough no attendance announced!

bargepole (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 18:05
Congrats to Sarries on a clinical and commanding second half performance. At the half way stage, the seedings would be:

1 Saracens
2 Racing 92
3 Toulouse
4 Munster
5 Edinburgh
6 Leinster
7 Glasgow
8 Ulster

Gloucester and Falcons have a chance of making the QF, but I'm afraid Wasps, Bath, Chiefs and Tigers won't be troubling the list. In our case, not a bad thing, as we can now put out second string / academy selections for the next three rounds, and try to get a core of fit first-choice players available for the business end of the Prem season.

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

The Bard (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 20:07
Really strange game, a bit like Lyon at home where we scored a bit too easily early on and then struggled in s dog fight before regaining control. Owen was out of sorts and some of the tackling worryingly reminiscent of Clermont exactly a year ago.
Thankfully my assertion that our bench might not add much was spectacularly wrong as they looked excellent and chalked up 4 tries between them!

cwrich (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 20:20
Step up Ben Earl. He was magnificent. For me he was serious candidate for motm despite only being on for 40.

Rhodes also was outstanding.

Before game started I thought the wind was a 10 pointer, turns out that was perhaps a tad conservative

JO'G (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 10:59
The Cardiff players put all their effort into the first 30 minutes and line speed and aggression made them look really good. A couple of USA Football like blocking for their tries, but finished them off well

A Cardiff rumble in the second half showed up the difference in the teams. Cardiff carried the ball up and the scrum-half was looking to go round the corner with another drive. As he got to the ball, there were 3 Saracens defenders in the line waiting to make the tackles, but only one Cardiff player ready to take the ball. That was the winger who basically was already there from the previous carry. By the time the Cardiff players got in line to make the next play, i could have got a couple of pints from the bar

I'm thinking that at home, Cardiff might last up to the hour mark; but we should not be taking this game for granted. In the last two years we have / nearly have come a cropper in Wales so we should make sure and have this sown up early in the match

Garp285 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 12:56
Quote:
cwrich
Step up Ben Earl. He was magnificent. For me he was serious candidate for motm despite only being on for 40.
Especially as Mako, who did get MotM was only on for 50mins!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net