rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
QUARTER FINALISTS!

Latest: LYON 10:28 SARACENS
Next: Saracens V Glasgow Sat 19th Jan, 13.00 Allianz, ECR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Glasgow Sat 19th Jan 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

There's a Storm on the horizon
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 December, 2018 13:44
Well three actually.

In case you had forgotten there are three Storm matches coming up so plenty of extra rugby for the fanatics.

Sunday 16th v Bath United (Away) ko 2pm

Sunday 23rd v Glaws at AzP ko 2pm

Sunday 30th v Briz at AzP ko 12.10pm live on Freesports Sky Channel 422 Freeview channel 64

This if course means that on the weekends before and after Christmas you get two matches each weekend, three of them being at home and the fourth, Chiefs away game on Sat 22nd is also on TV. Now what could be nicer than that?

(Sm24)

Re: There's a Storm on the horizon
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 18:33
Sup for Barf.........

Rotimi Segun will return to action for the first time this season when Saracens Storm head to Bath United in the Premiership Rugby Shield.
The winger has been out since pre-season due to injury and lines up in the back three alongside Ali Crossdale and Matt Gallagher.

Dom Morris and Viliami Hakalo partner up in the midfield; Tom Whiteley and Max Malins link-up in the half-back positions.

Fresh from his try-scoring Heineken Champions Cup debut, Christian Judge starts at tighthead in an experienced front row with USA international Titi Lamositele and France hooker Christopher Tolofua.

Joel Kpoku and Jack Nay are in the boiler while Anthony Maka, Sean Reffell and Sione Vailanu make up the rest of the pack.

On the bench, Tom Griffiths is named following a long spell on the sidelines.

Saracens Storm team to face Bath United at The Rec on Sunday 16th December (KO 14H00):

FORWARDS: Titi Lamositele, Christopher Tolofua, Christian Judge, Jack Nay, Joel Kpoku, Anthony Maka (Guest Player), Sean Reffell, Sione Vailanu.

BACKS: Matt Gallagher, Rotimi Segun, Viliami Hakalo, Dom Morris, Ali Crossdale, Max Malins, Tom Whiteley ©.

REPLACEMENTS: Joe Gray, Ralph Adams-Hale, Billy Walker, Cameron Boon, Tobias Munday, Henry Taylor, Manu Vunipola, Tom Griffiths

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 18:37
Welcome back Tom Griffiths!!!!

That's an incredibly strong looking Storm team. Slightly concerned however by no sign of Marcello Bosch. Is he injured as well?

Also an interesting call that Tolofua is in the storm team and Woolstencroft is preferred for Cardiff.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 21:08
Yup. Welcome back Griffiths. Really hope he can get a run of games and stay injury free. I'd love Vailanu in the 23 against Blues.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 09:17
I'm not sure if Tolofua has been injured but he seems to be a bit out of favour since it was announced he is leaving. Woolstencroft has played well and is probably more reliable at the lineout

PotNoodleHorn (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 09:24
Quote:
vunipolae
I'm not sure if Tolofua has been injured but he seems to be a bit out of favour since it was announced he is leaving. Woolstencroft has played well and is probably more reliable at the lineout

Tolofua warms up with the squad every week so I would assume it's Mark's way of saying - you're an ar53...

The Bard (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 11:03
Actually think Tolofua is better at the lineout and an absolute beast in the loose. Hard to see he is being left out for rugby reasons

Rubz (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 13:56
Quote:
The Bard
Actually think Tolofua is better at the lineout and an absolute beast in the loose. Hard to see he is being left out for rugby reasons

He's good at the lineout if you want slow floaty ball to roughly the middle.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 15:48
Bath put out a very strong team and by all accounts it showed. We lost 31-24 and not 31-17 as reported on the Fish, so we got a LBP.

Full report on the Fish....

<< Storm v United report >>

Bath United team...

15. Aled Brew
14. Jack Wilson
13. Max Clark
12. Max Wright
11. Levi Davis
10. Tom De Glanville
9. Max Green
1. Lucas Noguera
2. Ross Batty
3. Victor Delmas
4. Levi Douglas
5. Luke Charteris
6. Jack Davies
7. Josh Bayliss (c)
8. Miles Reid
Replacements
16. Tom Doughty
17. Will Vaughan
18. Kieran Verden
19. Will Britton
20. Michael van Vuuren
21. Chris Cook
22. Will Butt
23. Ethan Hutt

ballsout (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 20:25
I thought your team competed quite well actually.

mfc (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 19:48
Good to hear

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 02:55
Saracens Storm make three changes for the visit of Gloucester United in the Premiership Rugby Shield.
Adam Powell’s side return to Allianz Park following a 31-24 defeat to Bath United last weekend.

Prop Ralph Adams-Hale scored a late try to secure Storm a losing bonus point at The Rec; he will start at loosehead with Billy Walker at tighthead.

Fellow Argentinian Marcelo Bosch comes in at outside in the only amendment to the backline.

Season ticket holders can attend the match for free with entry otherwise priced at £10 for adults and £5 for juniors.

Saracens Storm team to face Gloucester United at Allianz Park on Sunday 23rd December (KO 14H00):

FORWARDS: Ralph Adams-Hale, Christopher Tolofua, Billy Walker, Jack Nay, Joel Kpoku, Anthony Maka (Guest Player), Sean Reffell, Sione Vailanu.

BACKS: Elliot Obatoyinbo, Ali Crossdale, Marcelo Bosch, Dom Morris, Rotimi Segun, Max Malins, Tom Whiteley ©.

REPLACEMENTS: Joe Gray, Sam Crean, Dino Waldren (Guest Player), Cameron Boon, Tobias Munday, Henry Taylor, Manu Vunipola, Tom Griffiths

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 11:59
Who is the second Argentinian in the team?

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 12:03
maybe he thought Juan Figallo was playing?

European champions 2016 & 2017

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 14:27
25 minutes in we are 24 - 0 up with the TBP. Our pace all over the park is destroying Glos.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 14:39
How is Vailanu doing Jim?

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 14:42
Quote:
SarrieSaint
How is Vailanu doing Jim?
Strong, carrying well. He created one of the tries breaking the line and then a lovely offload.
6 tries now I've lost track I think it's 41-0.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 14:59
Tks Jim. Sounds like a great watch.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:00
No 8. Vailanu making one of them again. Bullocking run. Men against much younger chaps I'm afraid.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:15
50-7. Fair play to Glos.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:16
55 - 7. Segun. Lovely hands to him along the line.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:19
Henry Taylor. 62-7.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:32
Last minute Henry Taylor. 69 - 7.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 15:48
Is that the FT score Jim?

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 16:28
Tolofua demonstrated why he's third choice. Couldn't hit a barn door I'm afraid, although I appreciate it's not just the thrower at fault. However, it was a lot more solid at lineout when Gray was on for second half.

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 17:57
Highly entertaining,11 tries to 1. Not a single kick at goal, other than conversions. Pity there weren't more there

The Bard (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 17:59
Only got to see the last 45 minutes but it all looked a bit of a mismatch. We did look quick and strong, although not much from Vialanu in the second half.
Couldn’t understand why Glos tapped all their penalties, is their throwing even worse than some of ours?
Our lineout did look Ok with Gray on, although it clearly helped that the replacement second row was about 8 foot tall!
Dominic Morris looked very strong carrying the ball, will be interesting to see if he gets a first team chance with Brad likely to be absent for a bit.
A nice surprise to see King Richard Hill sitting just behind me in the stands on England scouting duty.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 19:49
How did Tom Griffiths get on?

Graeme D (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 19:58
Quote:
GazzaFez
Very solid . Played 20 mins. Superb fast pass to put Roti away for one of his tries.
Not many opportunities.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2018 13:05
Quote:
GazzaFez

I missed he was even in the team. 23rd man? Great to see him best and think I'll use my new years wish on his having an injury free 2019!

29 December, 2018 12:33
We're up to second in the table, 2 points behind Exeter and 1 point ahead of Bath, over whom we have a game in hand, which we play tomorrow against 5th place Bristol. Thanks to last week's win we have a points difference of 80, which is considerably better than anyone else.

So it's Storm v Bris, 12.10 kickoff, live on FreeSports with a r-run at 10am on New Year's Day and possibly others.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 11:28
Excellent to see Tom Griffith's promoted from the bench to the starting XV today.

Saracens Storm side to face Bristol at Allianz Park (KO 12H10):

FORWARDS: Ralph Adams-Hale, Christopher Tolofua, Billy Walker, Jack Nay, Joel Kpoku, Anthony Maka (Guest Player), Sean Reffell, Sione Vailanu.

BACKS: Matt Gallagher, Ali Crossdle, Dom Morris, Tom Griffiths, Rotimi Segun, Max Malins, Henry Taylor.

REPLACEMENTS: Joe Gray, Sam Crean, Guest Player, Cameron Boon, Tobias Munday, Tom Whiteley, Manu Vunipola, Charlie Watson.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:43
14-14 after 30 minutes.
As score suggest game is fairly even with Saracens perhaps slightly having the upper hand.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:56
HT score 17-14

Saracens in the ascendancy but still tight.

We've already lost Jack Nay and Ralph Adams-Hale to injury, Jack after just a few minutes.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:20
Malins canters in under the posts and converts.

24-14

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:28
29-14 and the TBP.

Roti Segun awarded a try but it was clearly dropped before grounding as shown in the replay. The ref had awarded the try but there is no TMO for this match so it stands.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:30
36-14

Sean Reffell trots in unopposed.

Sense the flood gates are about to open (again).

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:41
Joe Gray under the posts for try number 6.

43-14

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:53
Joe Gray forces his way over the line off the back of a lineout for the final act of the match. Malins converts.

FT score 50-14.

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:07
Very good defence, plenty of pace and power in the backline too. Vialanu started strongly but didn't see much of the ball in the second half as per last week. Not sure if that is by accident or design. Tolofua very good in the loose but wobbly in the lineout, Joe Gray very solid again.
Good to see Kpoku finish strongly after having lengthy treatment just before half-time.

Tonk (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:42
On the scrum halves , Taylor or whitely on top today ?

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:56
I agree Bard - I thought Kpoku's energy and all round game was outstanding. Strong in the carry and Rhodesesque in defence, key part in a dominant scrum and winner in linouts on our throw and theirs. Griffiths (and Morris) strong games too, though I worry about Tom's size, Dom's as well in such attritional positions. Our gangly Boon surprised me after coming on early - memories of an underweight young Kruis? Malins error count too high and accuracy weak again - good on the eye, but too flaky too often imo. Gray impressive when he came on, though against a tiring Bristol. Pleased to see Billy Walker back, looking promising too.

Before the season I was hoping to see Taylor make his breakthrough. Many glimpses of his quick delivery and an improved kicking game but no sniping and a little inconsistent passing again. He's not yet kicked on as I'd hoped. (Whitely impressed more),

Felt a little sorry for Briz - they were very competitive for 55 minutes till the daft try award (by a generally clear, good ref). The final score flattered us a little.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 14:58 by Sara'sman.

30 December, 2018 15:54
That puts us 3 points clear at the top of the table - until Saturday when Exeter go to Glaws and will probably thump them.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 17:42
Good news.

Sara'sman, Griffiths is 6'2'' and must be pushing 16 stone now, that's not much different to Barritt. I think his injury history is possibly more concern than his size. Tompkins is smaller and handles the direct running and defending his central channel well even so (yesterday a bit of an anomaly)

Graeme D (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 18:01
I was watching Tolufu before the match practising the lineout. Only 50% success rate with no opposition. Fortunately in the match it improved slightly but anything past the middle and it was hit it miss. Throwing over the top of Cameroon Boon takes some doing as well.
Can see why not making the first team.
Agree on the Malins summary above. Some brilliance some disasters- also why kick with 2-3 man overlaps.
Joel solid as ever.
Good team performance against what I thought looked a fairly experienced Bristol line up.

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 20:49
Is the excessive kicking an order from above? Faz has been kicking away a lot of promising field positions recently too.

06 January, 2019 12:15
In accordance with form, Exeter beat Glaws 45-22 yesterday and go two points clear of us at the top of the table. That's it for Storm until the beginning of April:

1 April : Bath (H)
8 April : Quins (A)
22 April : Exeter (A)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net