rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
QUARTER FINALISTS!

Latest: LYON 10:28 SARACENS
Next: Saracens V Glasgow Sat 19th Jan, 13.00 Allianz, ECR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Glasgow Sat 19th Jan 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Saints 31-28 Chiefs
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 22:10
Maybe they expended all their energy on us last week! TBF Saints seem to have found some of their long lost mojo in recent weeks so not entirely surprised by this home result.

Chiefs did however pick up two points for the TBP and the LBP putting them five ahead of us. Plenty of incentive for tomorrow then!

Re: Saints 31-28 Chiefs
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 22:14
Full credit to Saints and they showed the value of ambition and taking the game to Chiefs rather than endlessly punting it to them and hoping for mistakes. They suffered every bit as much as Sarries to Chiefs maul but showed some real verve in their backs play and tenacity from their forwards. No reason that Sarries couldn't have put in a performance like that, they certainly have the talented players.

John Tee (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 22:50
I would like to think that teams have worked out Chiefs....
Stop their maul and they don't have another game.

Too early to say, but if it pans out then that gets a huge thumbs up from me.
I though Saints were good and showed attack and purpose plus a great defensive spirit. Keep that up and they'll best a fair few teams.

Many teams have a good backline to fall back on... Chiefs don't.

OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 23:27
Saints were very impressive and Chiefs looking average again! Chiefs have picked up a win from their 2 losses however...

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 23:27
There's a long thread on the chief's board, which is a sort of in-depth introspective on the subject of 'are we really that boring'? You'll rarely find a finer piece of navel gazing on these message boards anywhere! Views are understandably defensive in relation to the question, as you'd fully expect.

In my view the issue of whether or not they are or are not boring is an entirely personal matter, after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whatever floats your boat and all that. For my part I do find their style particularly tedious.

Opinions aside though, what I do think is beyond any question, is that their style/game plan or whatever you want to call it is totally one-dimensional and that will not serve them well long term, or short term in Europe for that matter.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 04:40
Saracens were, in the most part, pretty boring in the Venter era. The concept of winning was such a novelty at that time that most supporters were fine with the style.

As you say, the limitations and need to move on from 'cookie cutter' tactics becomes clear in European competitions. I find Exeter tedious to watch, but that applies to most teams at some period.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 08:45
I remember the crowd booing their own team at Vicarage Road for the incessant kicking, mostly box kicks, in the days when we'd started winning but had an incredibly rigid game plan. We shouldn't be too quick to condemn Exeter, although I agree that against the 'better' sides their present style won't succeed in sharp end games.

John Tee (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 10:41
Just because you are winning doesn't make it a good game although locals and die hards can pacify themselves that they don't care.
For the good of the game which is to grow and develop
then the game needs excitment

Line outs are exciting because you can see the ball...scrums and mauls, less so.

Most teams in the league are watchable, imv but Chiefs are the least. I suspect that Chiefs fans like it when they are winning but their board isn't liking losing.
Most decent teams will work out or negate the opposition strenght after a while.
If teams have then that will force Chiefs to evolve.
Rugby is a game of variables... Chiefs don't have or use them atm.

For a top two side, how many other teams would take many of their players if they couldn't mirror Chiefs game?

I don't see much skill set.. I see a narrow game plan that doesn't appeal.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 11:24
For the good of the game teams that blatantly broke the salary cap and made "compensation payments" to allow it to be swept under the carpet should have their forever tarnished titles taken away from them.

Once that has been done you can debate whether the way a team plays in a certain way is good for the game.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 12:05
Don't worry... schools are back soon!
Obviously had too many chocolates over Christmas and is still very excited.... bless.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 14:25
It's like having a gnat in the room - constant irrelevant buzzing. DDT anyone?

samlee99 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:12
Silly comments don't hide the facts but good to know the truth still hurts you.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:35
I'm not hurting but perhaps a little itchy .... Still irrelevant noise though.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:38
Quote:
samlee99

That's rich!!!

myleftboot (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:36
Silly comments like "There are no breaches" Sam? That's a good one, by Mark Mccafferty. He was only the Head of Premiership rugby at the time, so I'm sure you know better. Good job we have all those cups to collect our tears in crying over such hurtful comments

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 23:11
Oh.. still about... nevet mind can go back to school soon and try to bully the other children with one track arguments...bless..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

samlee99 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:46
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
samlee99

That's rich!!!

Indeed. That's presumably why the salary cap wasn't a problem for you!

samlee99 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:48
Quote:
myleftboot
Silly comments like "There are no breaches" Sam? That's a good one, by Mark Mccafferty. He was only the Head of Premiership rugby at the time, so I'm sure you know better. Good job we have all those cups to collect our tears in crying over such hurtful comments

Your tears won't clean the tarnished trophies you "won" though.

They will forever be tarnished.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 15:55
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
samlee99

That's rich!!!

Correct at last!!!

Why? Because Sarries never broke it ~ OFFICIAL. Move on. It's 2019 in a few hours. Hadn't you noticed?

boomer! (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 16:37
I think it is a bit disingenuous to criticise Chiefs style of play and describing it as boring or tedious.

We have been in that boat ourselves and we should be bigger than this.

We all know how Chiefs get their tries and therefore it is up to our coaches to create a strategy that starves them of the ball 10 metres from our try line. Once Chiefs realise their plan A isn't working they will develop a plan B.

We did, and they will.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 11:27
Easier to polish tarnished ones than nonexistent ones, loser

samlee99 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 14:05
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
samlee99

That's rich!!!

Correct at last!!!

Why? Because Sarries never broke it ~ OFFICIAL. Move on. It's 2019 in a few hours. Hadn't you noticed?

Official? Yea right. Keep saying it and you might one day believe it.

2019 or 2059 your trophy "wins" will remain tarnished.

JO'G (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 14:15
We developed a plan b because plan a didn't work in Europe. It was perfectly workable in the premiership

I'm not sure that Exeter need to change in the domestic game because they will win 5 out of 6 which is good enough to get hem to the premiership final. Perhaps Europe will only be a necessity once they have won a couple more premiership

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 14:10
I think a rolling maul is a thing of beauty!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:10
Quote:
TonyTaff
I think a rolling maul is a thing of beauty!

Who doesn't? It becomes tedious when it's the only thing on offer.

beshocked (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:31
Exeter Chiefs style of play is boring and tedious, it's why it's frustating when Saracens failed to cope with it at Sandy Park by repeatedly kicking the ball back and handing it back through handling errors/poor play.

If it works, Exeter don't need to adapt.

The problem for Chiefs is if Saracens up their game like they did in the AP final last year, then Exeter don't have the answers.

Of course in Europe you need to have more than plan A too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net