rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
NEWCASTLE HERE WE COME!!!!!!

Latest: SARACENS 32:16 MUNSTER
Next: WASPS v SARACENS
Sat 27th April, 16.30 Ricoh,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Wasps v Saracens Sat 27th April 16.15 BT Sport2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can someone please give Owen a hug?
Old Curmudgeon (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 06:39
Our much lauded 10 is out of sorts with himself at the moment and over the past few weeks has appeared human and is not wearing his underpants outside of his uniform.

Constantly angry with himself and the world for anything less than perfection; can someone please sit him down, give him a hug before he has serious issues.

From the knobbly kneed kid who burst on to the pitch at Vicarage Road to the world class player that he is now, he has given all for club and now country.

Meaningless tours removing any chance of a meaningful break for body and soul to heal.

Had we a replacement in the mould of Charlie Hodgson, young Mr. Farrell could rest up for a week or part of a game. The development of the current squad presently, apparently, does not facilitate this despite Lozowski in the ranks which puzzles me, however it does not take a lot to do that these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 07:07 by Old Curmudgeon.

Re: Can someone please give Owen a hug?
AB (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 08:04
Max Malins was brilliant last week against Gloucester in Storm and we have a chance at 12.10 to see him and the Storm perform against Bristol . He needs encouraging and you can also see it live on TV Free Sports (Sky 422)

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 08:50
A really valid point about Owen. Think he ,Mako and Maro are almost too good for their own good. If you were picking the team youíd find it almost impossible not to fall for the temptation of picking them every week. Now Owen has the England captaincy weighing on his shoulders as well the demands on him are getting too much.
With 4 tough games in the 6 nations period weíll know a lot more about Malins potential by the end of it.
Alex Goode has played as well as anyone at 10 for us this year. At least going back to 3 backs on the bench means there is a bit more chance of him getting a bit of time off

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:00
Maybe itís the fact that because he is now in that Ďworld-classí bracket, everyone is expecting a 9 or 10 out of 10 performance in every game for club & country ?
He isnít playing at his absolute best at the moment but he is still producing 7/10 performances every week ! Itís just that he has such high standards - & we all have such high expectations from him - that every mistake is being highlighted unnecessarily !

We are still winning & thatís the most important thing here ! We are 14 points clear of 3rd place in the Premiership & are on the brink of qualifying in Europe !

The team (not individuals) are not playing all that well but we will hit our straps eventually & when we do - watch out !!

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 09:41
Probably just me but I think he needs a kick up the behind not a hug.

I'm a massive fan of his and I think he's one of the most impressive players around in terms of maximising his talent and his dedication but his petulance is getting increasingly boring and you get the impression it's affecting his teammates. I don't ever remember players like Jamie George and Mako being so chopsy but now it's a regular thing.

I love his passion and see him as a leader on the field in terms of setting an example but the jury is out on his captaincy at least until he learns to manage the referees better. Tbf I have sympathy with players who are getting on the wrong end of a referee but when has complaining to them or ignoring them ever resulted in a positive outcome? I also think on a more general point that he has enough responsibility in the team as 10 and kicker.

Unless his secret Santa gift was giving George Ford his start back at 10 for England I am not sure where his head is right now at 10. Yesterday was as poor as I have seen for a while and whilst I think that all players should get latitude whilst trying to expand their game the number of basic mistakes was shocking as was much of the game management in attack. He's a better player than that and maybe he just needs a break in which case I hope he's given it. Farrell at his best is vital to Sarries.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:04
He doesnít look like heís enjoying it very much at the moment. Heís forcing it every play.

I think he could probably do with a spell on the sidelines.

steviebas (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 10:41
Quote:
SarrieGirl
Maybe itís the fact that because he is now in that Ďworld-classí bracket, everyone is expecting a 9 or 10 out of 10 performance in every game for club & country ?
He isnít playing at his absolute best at the moment but he is still producing 7/10 performances every week ! Itís just that he has such high standards - & we all have such high expectations from him - that every mistake is being highlighted unnecessarily !

We are still winning & thatís the most important thing here ! We are 14 points clear of 3rd place in the Premiership & are on the brink of qualifying in Europe !

The team (not individuals) are not playing all that well but we will hit our straps eventually & when we do - watch out !!

Absolutely agree with the above . Owen , is below his best at the moment but still probably a 7 out of 10 . Itís just that he is so 100% most games , that when he makes the odd mistake or 2 , it is highlighted and so uncharacteristic that it notices more .
The same used to happen to the late great Bobby Moore .

Innings (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 11:34
For me yesterday was not 7 out of ten, but an average 5 or 6. A few good things, certainly, but no more than you'd expect from any competent Premiership starting 10. His game was far less good than that of Steenson on Friday, and in general the pair of 9 & 10 made far too many unforced errors.

Ben needs to guard the ball far better than he does now: twice yesterday he was caught out by being so busy telling everyone what to do that the Warriors were able to steal the ball from under his nose. Owen needs to calm down and accept the need to spend more time on his own lack of form than on chiding all around him, ref. included, for theirs.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:08
At the end of the day the lad is human ! He isnít going to be perfect every week, no-one is, & our problems at the moment (& for much of the season) are a collective issue, most certainly not solely down to one player.

We are struggling at the set-piece, we are struggling with field position, we are struggling getting quick ball....all adds up to a disjointed attack, clunky play, forced passes & frustration - for everyone !

Hard to find a player with more passion, more desire & higher standards than Owen - no-one will be hurting more at his own & the teamsí performances recently than himself ! Clearly coming out as visible frustration on the field & heís not with himself !

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 12:32
Even though it will be said that he is a 'professional' sportsman, we have no idea about any behind the scenes pressures that may be going on in his life. Yes, perhaps he should rise above it, but as SarrieGirl says he is only human with all the little foibles we all have.

A virtual group hug should be transmitted.(Sm108)

Roger G (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:27
Agreed...a supportive hug is in order (man-hug obviously on my part). A true professional, which he is, gives himself enough kicks up the backside when off the boil. Others doing it will make no difference, especially those who couldn't, now, in the past or ever, get remotely near his levels of performance.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:45
Quote:
SarrieGirl
Hard to find a player with more passion, more desire & higher standards than Owen - no-one will be hurting more at his own & the teamsí performances recently than himself ! Clearly coming out as visible frustration on the field & heís not with himself !

+1

I unreservedly withdraw my suggestion of a kick and replace it with a hug and a gentle word in his pearl-like not to turn into Sexton and rather own his mistakes.

abudhabidoo (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:59
Quote:
Innings
For me yesterday was not 7 out of ten, but an average 5 or 6. A few good things, certainly, but no more than you'd expect from any competent Premiership starting 10. His game was far less good than that of Steenson on Friday, and in general the pair of 9 & 10 made far too many unforced errors.

Interesting. I thought Owen's kicking out of hand yesterday was exceptional, and exactly what Exeter were missing on Friday.

Agree that he needs a rest. I would rest him against Sale - we are going to make the top 2, we don't need to win every single Premiership game and then bring him back for one of the Euro games before he goes off to England.

EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 15:41
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Even though it will be said that he is a 'professional' sportsman, we have no idea about any behind the scenes pressures that may be going on in his life. Yes, perhaps he should rise above it, but as SarrieGirl says he is only human with all the little foibles we all have.
A virtual group hug should be transmitted.(Sm108)

Add me to the virtual group hug 🤗

Innings (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 15:51
Rest, risk losing a couple of games, lots of support for the club if that happens, and pray that our internationals are not shot to pieces during the 6N. For the longer term, pray for an outbreak of common sense among the people who jointly fail to run professional rugby professionally.

Innings

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 09:28
Hopefully, the festive season has given his dad the opportunity to provide advice, not least on how to manage refs!

If he needs a rest, the first week in February looks good - little George can start against Sexton, with Slade as the back-up winking smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

bramleyboy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:40
Goes without saying what a vital cog he is...but watched him in the warm up at the weekend - even then he was scowling, angry, missing fairly simple drop kicks, not at all relaxed.

Whilst Alex can do a job at 10, he is so much more influential at 15 and deserves a break.

Now Stretts is back perhaps we can put Loz at 10 for a few with Max on the bench.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:35
I don't think we can rest him until Brad returns. We seem to be lacking leadership.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

beshocked (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:37
Quote:
SarrieSaint
Probably just me but I think he needs a kick up the behind not a hug.
I'm a massive fan of his and I think he's one of the most impressive players around in terms of maximising his talent and his dedication but his petulance is getting increasingly boring and you get the impression it's affecting his teammates. I don't ever remember players like Jamie George and Mako being so chopsy but now it's a regular thing.

I love his passion and see him as a leader on the field in terms of setting an example but the jury is out on his captaincy at least until he learns to manage the referees better. Tbf I have sympathy with players who are getting on the wrong end of a referee but when has complaining to them or ignoring them ever resulted in a positive outcome? I also think on a more general point that he has enough responsibility in the team as 10 and kicker.

Unless his secret Santa gift was giving George Ford his start back at 10 for England I am not sure where his head is right now at 10. Yesterday was as poor as I have seen for a while and whilst I think that all players should get latitude whilst trying to expand their game the number of basic mistakes was shocking as was much of the game management in attack. He's a better player than that and maybe he just needs a break in which case I hope he's given it. Farrell at his best is vital to Sarries.

Agree with this 100%.

As talented as Farrell is as a player, his combativeness can be bad as well as good.

Does anyone seriously think that he's the most suitable candidate to be captain after Barritt?

He needs to focus on his own game, the captaincy seems to be a burden to him and personally I don't think he's suitable. As an experienced, passionate player he brings value of course but as the main leader - just no.

He doesn't have the same calmness and organisation abilities as Barritt.

It's why things fell apart vs Exeter and why Saracens laboured vs Worcester.

Generally I think it's preferable to have a forward as a captain, Barritt has worked for Saracens because he has the workrate and mentality of a flanker but he's also intelligent.

I would personally have Jamie George as captain. Let Farrell focus on getting back into form.

Passion doesn't equal good captaincy. Borthwick was never the loudest but he was calm and was intelligent.

Innings (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:50
Some of the great captains have captained their country from the middle of the front row, so it need not be a position question. Jamie for Sarries' captain? For me, on what we see, and as a very old member of the hookers' union, the answer is Yes. Owen is a better player and leader when he isn't nominally captain.

Innings

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:15
Quote:
Innings
Some of the great captains have captained their country from the middle of the front row, so it need not be a position question. Jamie for Sarries' captain? For me, on what we see, and as a very old member of the hookers' union, the answer is Yes. Owen is a better player and leader when he isn't nominally captain.

+1

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:33
beshocked do you think part of the benefit Barritt brings (along with the great qualities you mention) is the continuity of being a squad player for most of the season?

Jamie George sounds a very good shout to me but I wondered if there are any candidates in the non-International players Sarries have that they would expect to be able to field for most of the season?

chris87 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:36
Quote:
Innings

I agree with you about Jamie being captain (I would prefer Maro as I think it may calm down some of his niggles). However post Brad would we be better having someone who is with the club all the time and dosent have international duties?

And in relation to Owen, he is a leader in the team however struggles to talk to the referees, so dose that make him captain material?
There was a good podcast last week about leaders in teams in relation to the 2003 WC squad. They said that Johnson, although captain, wouldnít really talk to the referee as this was left to another named player (I canít remember e who). They also had a defensive leader, scrum leader, etc.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 21:50
If I may use a cricket analogy, Brad is our Mike Brearley, borderline good enough for Tests, but worth his place because of his leadership qualities...

... Faz is coming to resemble Kevin Peterson. Supremely talented, but in danger of becoming a liability?

cwrich (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 23:48
Quote:
TonyTaff
If I may use a cricket analogy, Brad is our Mike Brearley, borderline good enough for Tests, but worth his place because of his leadership qualities...
... Faz is coming to resemble Kevin Peterson. Supremely talented, but in danger of becoming a liability?

Faz a liability ?!

More of an Ian Botham than a KP surely ? smiling smiley

GerryK (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 10:25
An absolute must read is today's interview with Owen in the Guardian. It reveals a lot about the guy, in particular the way in which he is trying to ensure that his desire to win is not compromised by the need to improve his calmness on the field

01 January, 2019 10:42
Guardian link

Elusive confidence

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 10:51
All doubters should read that article (whichever team one supports!). Thanks Tpr's headmistress.

That's what I call 'focus'.

JO'G (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 14:26
I'm more worried after readi g that article. The specific issues I thi k are wrong with his game seem to him to be those those under control or non problems

SBFez (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 15:00
I agree with the thought that captaincy doesn't come as naturally to Faz as some would think.

But I think it's also fair to point out he's come in for criticism for other parts of his game before and has always risen to said challenges. I'm not worried and if he has a few bad games now that leads to him becoming a great captain for the next few years I have no issues

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 22:09
Quote:
JO'G
I'm more worried after readi g that article. The specific issues I thi k are wrong with his game seem to him to be those those under control or non problems

It's an interesting one. On the one hand I think it says masses about the guy that he's identified a weakness and has taken steps to remedy it. I'm a bit less confident with the idea that he has a handle on it right now although continuing to study and understand himself can only be a positive thing going forward.

beshocked (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 14:42
The article doesn't actually say much though. We know Farrell is a passionate young man.

Passion has never been Farrell's problem.

There's one thing saying he'll sort out his issues, there's another thing doing it.

Yes Sarriesaint that's partly it. Yes I agree. I think Goode would make a good candidate too.

I feel as a captain you need to be a guaranteed starter, calm (something Farrell generally is not), experienced and lead by example, build a good rapport with the ref.

It's why Daly is a very poor example of a captain for Wasps too.

Playing ability doesn't equal captaincy material necessarily.

Passion is not a bad thing - it just has to be channeled correctly.

It's much easier to get frustated when you have a lot of passion.

Someone just needs to control/mentor Farrell, calm him down when he gets frustated or overenthusiastic.

I wouldn't say that some of Saracens best players like the Vunipola bros or Itoje or Farrell are captaincy material at the moment. They still have a big job to do though and can lead/inspire through good performances.

Itoje needs to calm down as well.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 15:40
" 'Enough', already!" as Tom Foley might say winking smiley

The article links to a Nov. 25 article from Nick Evans, that postulates that Faz might be enjoying a "one rule for you, and a different one for everyone else" scenario. I believe that this is known as the "Richie McCaw syndrome"!

John Tee (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 23:05
I don't think he is a natural captain and I don't think he is leader either. That is not to say he doesn't have great resolve and strenght but I'm not sure I see him leading and players following.
I think you can ask him to do it and he'll make a fist of it but it isn't natural because people dont naturally follow.
Jones talks about leaders as though being a senior player is enough, but like Ford, no-one is following.

And with England, Farrell will get no help either.

In another year or two, if Itoje maintains his progress, no one gets close to the captaincy. And if someone else does, then you will have two very good leaders.
The other point is the more help you get, the better.

Roger G (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 09:07
Quote:
John Tee
I don't think he is a natural captain and I don't think he is leader either. That is not to say he doesn't have great resolve and strenght but I'm not sure I see him leading and players following.
I think you can ask him to do it and he'll make a fist of it but it isn't natural because people dont naturally follow.
Jones talks about leaders as though being a senior player is enough, but like Ford, no-one is following.

In another year or two, if Itoje maintains his progress, no one gets close to the captaincy. And if someone else does, then you will have two very good leaders.

Strange then that everybody who works closely with him regards him as a rel motivator, and leader by example on the field (in his play at least).

Also I stongly disagree with your statement that people don't naturally follow. Having spent most of my working life in managerial positions, my experience is that people respond much better to "leadership" (i.e. supporting somebody who they perceive to be doing a good job on their behalf) than being managed (i.e. being told what to do by somebody they don't respect or trust).

JO'G (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 12:22
as an example - on the morning of the Glasgow game, we saw around 7/8 of the lads walk out of their hotel and take a stroll around the town around 10am. We were having breakfast in a cafe they passed

what was very noticeable was that Faz was walking in front; the rest followed behind. There was no dispute at all in the body language that he was the boss, he decided where they would walk and the others all followed behind like lambs

TimH (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 22:26
I get this thread is about his temperament, but for those who think he had a poor game at the weekend - watch the highlights back. Particularly the Strettle and Clark tries.

I also understand it's just a question, but - seriously - any suggestions Faz has become a liability are ridiculous in the extreme. And he IS a leader.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 08:53
Quote:
TimH
I get this thread is about his temperament, but for those who think he had a poor game at the weekend - watch the highlights back. Particularly the Strettle and Clark tries.

Oh come now. I am a huge fan but he really was poor. Watch the WHOLE game back - unnecessary missed passes, kicking it long into touch from the KO, kicking it straight into touch from outside the 22, kicking it long from the penalty at the end, kicking possession away at the end.

He knows he's playing badly and is trying to force it. He'll come good but I think could probably do with a break.

John Tee (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 20:43
Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
John Tee

Strange then that everybody who works closely with him regards him as a rel motivator, and leader by example on the field (in his play at least).

Also I stongly disagree with your statement that people don't naturally follow. Having spent most of my working life in managerial positions, my experience is that people respond much better to "leadership" (i.e. supporting somebody who they perceive to be doing a good job on their behalf) than being managed (i.e. being told what to do by somebody they don't respect or trust).

Your last point is fine but what I said people don't follow him. He wouldn't have to have the captains arm band but as an England ever present, his leadership is ineffectual because England don't have any and haven't had for quite a time.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:23
We need to talk about Owen ...

maynas (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:30
Quote:
TimH
I also understand it's just a question, but - seriously - any suggestions Faz has become a liability are ridiculous in the extreme. And he IS a leader.

Well he wasnít any better this week and getting a stupid yellow card and getting told off by the ref again suggests heís more like a liability than help at present and needs a rest

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:48
Donít worry! Heís got two weeks of European rugby and then heís off to captain England under the famously relaxed Eddie Jones...

Come on Owen; please pick up a cheeky 10 week injury and give yourself a proper break.

05 January, 2019 07:34
Pick up an injury! Seriously.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 07:47
Horrible to read that people want Owen to pick up an injury ! Seriously guys !! Why are we singling him out just because the TEAM are playing poorly ? Everyone is contributing to our recent poor performances not just one man ! Yes he is struggling with the extra burden of the captaincy, but the only way he can get better is to keep going - same as everyone ! We all need to stick together, itís a rough patch in a long season - all teams go through it at some point - donít turn against our players !

Itís OK to give constructive criticism, we all have every right to our opinions etc, but this singling out of Owen is going too far !

sarricen (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 08:08
This thread is perverse

The Bard (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 08:36
I really donít think the injury suggestion is wishing him harm, it is saying he looks like a man in desperate need of a break and thatís the only way heís going to get one (or a suspension) Player burn out is a real issue and we may be seeing it before our own eyes.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:01
Quote:
The Bard
I really donít think the injury suggestion is wishing him harm, it is saying he looks like a man in desperate need of a break and thatís the only way heís going to get one (or a suspension) Player burn out is a real issue and we may be seeing it before our own eyes.

He had a week off just after the AIís - missed Wasps at home ! I understand we may think he needs a rest but to wish one of our players to be in pain etc through injury is wrong.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:15
SarrieGirl I've not been on here as long as most but I've never seen tpr's headmistress post something negative about Sarries. As mentioned above I think it's simply recognising the fact that Farrell is too competitive to ask for a break himself but he looks desperately in need of one.

Adey (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:23
I think youíve read tprs dominatrix wrong. Sheís not suggesting he picks up an injury, sheís reacting to Wolfpackís post above it.

Adey (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:32
Which should also be taken with the large pinch of salt that itís clearly been posted with.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net