rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
QUARTER FINALISTS!

Latest: LYON 10:28 SARACENS
Next: Saracens V Glasgow Sat 19th Jan, 13.00 Allianz, ECR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Glasgow Sat 19th Jan 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Can someone please give Owen a hug?
#wolfpack (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:34
Let me clarify::—

It is definitely NOT wishing him harm in any way. Some seem not to have understood the statement in the spirit it was intended. The bloke continually plays for us and for England under the most intense pressure. He captains both sides (when Brad is away). Is criticised continually for his attitude, his demeanour, his tackle technique. He is the bloke on the bbc reports, on the tv and in the papers.

I see a bloke in desperate need of a mental break and the only way he gets one is by injury or suspension. As Bard says player burn out is real. And I don’t think the 6N or Eddie Jones England is going to particularly help.

When you watch him do you think he’s enjoying himself? Cause I don’t right now.

Incidentally (and I recognise this didn’t come through and there’s no way it could come through in writing) I wasn’t thinking of a real injury; I was thinking of a niggle that everyone “understands” (I,e. For clarity- “lies”) is worse than it is so he has some proper time off. I would have thought it would be obvious I wouldn’t want a genuine harmful 10 week injury to anyone, but that clearly wasn’t the case.

One week off vs Wasps doesn’t really give the break he appears to need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2019 09:36 by #wolfpack.

John Tee (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:57
Resting players is tough because the players want to play.
You'd hope the conditioning team would know if Farrell is physically drained but mentally is probably harder to gauge. I think he'll be rested when Barritt is back. I think he (Barritt) is the real heartbeat of the team in terms of setting the tempo and temperament.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 17:50
Quote:
John Tee
Resting players is tough because the players want to play.
You'd hope the conditioning team would know if Farrell is physically drained but mentally is probably harder to gauge. I think he'll be rested when Barritt is back. I think he (Barritt) is the real heartbeat of the team in terms of setting the tempo and temperament.

We only have the 2 European games now before all the Internationals go away for pre-6N training so he won’t get a rest at club level now until after the 6N has finished in mid-March.
Being honest, he isn’t the only player looking mentally jaded & like they’re not enjoying it much at the minute ! None of the boys look very happy & why would they ? We’re not performing well as a team at the minute, nothing is going right, things are going against us - just not a good period for us the past 3 weeks ! BUT we will get through it, remember last season when we couldn’t buy a win for weeks....look where we were in May !
Our boys are champions, several world-class & far far too good to be down for long !

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:29
I think the change in comp next week will do Farrell and the team some good.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 04:01
Quote:
JO'G
as an example - on the morning of the Glasgow game, we saw around 7/8 of the lads walk out of their hotel and take a stroll around the town around 10am. We were having breakfast in a cafe they passed
what was very noticeable was that Faz was walking in front; the rest followed behind. There was no dispute at all in the body language that he was the boss, he decided where they would walk and the others all followed behind like lambs

The most natural of senior leaders would actually have been strolling along in the middle of the pack paying attention to others. A junior leader takes point. It's the difference between the lieutenant who leads the men over the top and the captain directing the supporting fire (the DoR of course being the General).

You need both the lieutenant and the captain, but you can't be both simultaneously. Farrell might mature into the latter after his outright ability has peaked, but whilst his natural disposition is "everybody follow me" he isn't that. The lieutenant may well be fitter, faster, and a better shot than the captain but that's absolutely irrelevant.

Farrell reminds me quite a lot of Matt Dawson, who was another dead cert England starter and another prodigiously talented gobs**te. He was always taking the initiative, making quick decisions, tapping and going and remonstrating loudly with the back row if they were more than a pace behind. That irreverence and typical 9 motormouth was key to the sides he played in just as Owen's desire to gee up his team mates and play with a bit of bite matters for Saracens and England: but Johnson was always the captain of England, Pat Lam was the Captain of Saints and Dayglo was the Captain of Wasps whilst Dawson was at his peak, and with good reason.

Owen needs both responsibility and a degree of seniority, but also direction and not ultimate authority. He has a pile of responsibility on his head already with kicking and playing 10. The armband won't do him or the sides he plays in any favours in the long term. I think if you watch the replay, you'll probably find that when your hooker was pinged for a bent throw in the red zone, it wasn't Farrell's hand on his shoulder - it would have been Barritt's and that's the difference.

The Bard (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:23
One real worry for me is that with this being a World Cup year he may not get a break until November...

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 09:29
Quote:
The Bard
One real worry for me is that with this being a World Cup year he may not get a break until November...

He will get another mandatory week off after the 6N in late March/early April & assuming we go all the way to the Premiership Final - he will then get a full 5-weeks off before the pre-WC training camp starts on 8th July - same as all the England boys !

McSaracens (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:01
Sorry to say but another poor performance from Farrell in the first half today. On form alone, Cipriani would be ahead of him for the 6 nations.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:05
Couple of kicks not gone quite right but he's reigned in the shouting at least

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:06
Apart from a couple of kicks...I don't think he's having a bas game at all, running back line well.

And also no back chat ...always positive!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:12
Quote:
Sarriebone

I agree but he's not talking to a clown for a referee.

P.S it's rein not reign; contrary to popular belief he's not the king! smiling smiley

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:15
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
Sarriebone

I agree but he's not talking to a clown for a referee.

P.S it's rein not reign; contrary to popular belief he's not the king! smiling smiley

Well done, you've passed my test, I was waiting to see who would spot that first winking smiley

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:49
Quote:
McSaracens
Sorry to say but another poor performance from Farrell in the first half today. On form alone, Cipriani would be ahead of him for the 6 nations.

Also don't think Jamie will be starting in the 6N. Lineout stats way down.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:53
Completely agree Wolfpack. Hartley should start as captain for me.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2019 16:56 by McSaracens.

OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:24
Quote:
McSaracens

Cipriani isn’t exactly playing brilliantly. Ford is the form 10 but Farrell is Captain so he will start

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:33
Apart from a couple of poor kicks in the first-half, I don’t think Owen had a bad game at all ! He led the back-line very well, kicked his goals, brought some intensity to the defence & Captained the side much better ! The team still aren’t playing perfectly by any means but it was much improved across the board by everyone & it’s good to see the lads smiling again & enjoying it !

myleftboot (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 18:12
Hartley? Seriously? If not Jamie, there's at least two better English hookers

nicsue (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 18:22
Crikey, some of you lot really have got the January blues. One game when some of the players don't play as well as you think they should and you have them hung, drawn and quartered. And not a word about some of the sublime things that happened.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:30
Given we've talked here about leadership v captaincy I thought it was worth noting both that Farrell was much more composed today and also that when he went off it was very obvious that his vocal leadership/motivation was missing. Hopefully we can train someone else to shout "'it 'im! it 'im!!" when Farrell is off the field (Sm128)

The Bard (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 21:32
Owen had a very poor first half with 4 wayward kicks costing us to varying degrees. But he also landed all 4 conversions and defended well. There had clearly been a response from the team and probably the officials after recent events which was good to see.

JO'G (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 06:05
Interesting that Owen came out separately from the other players and walked over to fans to applaud them after the Lyon game. Seemed to be deliberate to me but then could have been accidental as he was substituted

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net