rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
NEWCASTLE HERE WE COME!!!!!!

Latest: SARACENS 32:16 MUNSTER
Next: WASPS v SARACENS
Sat 27th April, 16.30 Ricoh,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Wasps v Saracens Sat 27th April 16.15 BT Sport2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Audacity of Alex Goode
bramleyboy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 09:52
Firstly, I have long been quiet since I moved to Singapore 10 years ago, but thanks lads for the chatter - always gets my spirits up.

Having come back to visit last week and attended the Worcester game.... - I had to go and find my password to comment - Alex Blimin Goode - 51mins - absolute genius:

Shapes to kick, stops
Changes direction (about 270)
Steps, changes direction,makes a break,
Busts through (yes, smashes someone)
Then offloads perfectly through the next tackle...

The whole thing was outrageous -laughed about it all the way home - can't believe no reporter has commented on it.

His omission from the England squad perhaps the biggest selection travesty of the past decade - build a team around that man.

We need an official explanation from Eddie, a signed letter perhaps. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2018 09:55 by bramleyboy.

Re: Audacity of Alex Goode
Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 09:59
He does this week-in, week-out so I guess we've just got used to it!

I think we all agree about Eddie - but I guess Alex has upset him big-time somewhere along the way. I can see no other explanation!

bramleyboy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:10
@Darraghgirl- yes easy to take him for granted.

I'd love to know what he did to Eddies dog...

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:13
I wouldn't!!!!! smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

bramleyboy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 10:33
yes, actually...on second thoughts

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 12:25
Shhh! Don't wake Yoda from his self-satisfied slumber!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

nicsue (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:14
Thank you for reminding us how lucky we are to watch this every week.

We used to point this out to Eddie every time he sat near us in the East stand....maybe that's why he doesn't sit there any more. (OK we did point out one or two other things to him to.)

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:36
He is brilliant every game. Becoming more and more like a slippery eel as time goes by. Boy I hope those rumours about Toulon aren't true.

boomer! (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 16:30
It pains me to say this but as much as we Saracens love Alex and his style of play (he has the balance of a gyroscope) he is not much admired outside our circle.

It is a pity that he has so many detractors but that is sometimes what happens to great sportsmen. They get looked over at the highest level but at club level we know much better.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 18:02
Quote:
boomer!
It pains me to say this but as much as we Saracens love Alex and his style of play (he has the balance of a gyroscope) he is not much admired outside our circle.

I would disagree with this, there seems to be a lot of calls for him to picked for England.
However what puzzles me is that, when asked, pundits agree that he's good enough but seem happy to swallow EJ's@#$%&about him not fitting the type of player he wants yet they all clamour on about how if a player is good enough (Cips mainly) then he should be picked regardless...

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 15:48
Quote:
boomer!
he is not much admired outside our circle.

If I could steal one of your backline for Saints it would definitely be Goode, that's been the case for years.

Every team that kicks at him loses net yards most of the time, that's so important to your success, it pressurises other teams midfield possession constantly - they find themselves going nowhere, kick to get a let off, and then find themselves pinned back just infront of their 22 with the defense rushing up.

Looking at the whole of the last 5 years of Sarries being up at the top, there is a good case for saying he's been your most valuable player.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 17:12
I think he is an incredibly talented player and am amazed that Jones hasn't had another look at him especially as his move to Watson/Daly is an obvious shift to attacking threat but possibly accepting a compromise in defence.

I think it would be a bit blinkered not to suggest there are compromises that have to be made picking him especially in contrast to Brown but I think they might well be worth it.

one fine day (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 00:48
back when Jones was manager of Saries. i believe even then he exhibited some reluctancy to promote AG to the first team. even though he was england u20 first choice F-h / f-b and reach world cup finals .

JO'G (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 11:45
Quote:
one fine day
back when Jones was manager of Saries. i believe even then he exhibited some reluctancy to promote AG to the first team. even though he was england u20 first choice F-h / f-b and reach world cup finals .

I seem to remember he finally gave him a game for HRHRH's last match at the MKBowl.

Didn't go very well and he gave him the hook early. Never played for Sarries again until EJ left

thats my memory, but it may well be wrong

boomer! (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 12:47
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
boomer!

I would disagree with this, there seems to be a lot of calls for him to picked for England.
However what puzzles me is that, when asked, pundits agree that he's good enough but seem happy to swallow EJ's@#$%&about him not fitting the type of player he wants yet they all clamour on about how if a player is good enough (Cips mainly) then he should be picked regardless...

As I said, it pains me to say it. You of course will disagree, as I have repeatedly in the past. But it does not mean there are people out there that just don't like Alex's style of play. I have met enough at various venues to know this it a truth.

one fine day (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 17:11
Didn't go very well and he gave him the hook early. Never played for Sarries again until EJ left

one fine day (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 17:13
I think he definately started and finished the game and was there for HRHH last game. one to remember.

one fine day (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 17:28
referencing AG time under Eddy was merely to suggest that the reasons for non England selection date back 11 years ago. Jones gets the chop?, AG becomes permanent first team player and goes on to get picked for England. some may have pointed the finger at Eddy and said things like " you missed that one"
now Eddy , well known for his pig headedness, is having the last laugh.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 19:11
Don't forget Alex is the guest on Rugby Tonight on BT Sports tonight (channel 413 on Sky) starting at 8pm.

paulglynn (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 20:49
He has just said that he is happy at saracens and is not going anywhere

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 20:50
He's been great on RT, very clear, very eloquent

darktagnan (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 23:24
Jones wants a 3rd winger at Fullback, not a 2nd fly half. I think he's wrong tactically - but he's been consistent in this wrong thinking for some time & he won't change now.

GerryK (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 08:33
Quote:
Sarriebone
In particular his praise of the quality of players of other teams was impressive

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 09:56
Quote:
Sarriebone

I must improve my Life/Work balance. I read this and thought what is Alex Goode doing on Russia Today??

AlanE (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 10:41
Quote:
one fine day
I think he definately started and finished the game and was there for HRHH last game. one to remember.

Didn't he score? Or is that my memory going for wishful failure

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 13:19
Quote:
MyCupRunnethOver
Quote:
Sarriebone

I must improve my Life/Work balance. I read this and thought what is Alex Goode doing on Russia Today??

I thought the same, Tovaritch!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

daz_71 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 15:05
Quote:
darktagnan
Jones wants a 3rd winger at Fullback, not a 2nd fly half. I think he's wrong tactically - but he's been consistent in this wrong thinking for some time & he won't change now.

Obviously I don't agree with our idiot of a England head coach about AG but I think darktagnan is bang on with his comment. I've heard David Flatman say almost exactly the same on his podcast in that Eddie doesn't want a 2nd playmaker at FB he want's an out-an-out FB or winger there and that's why Alex doesn't fit. We all know he's wrong but when as EJ ever listened to advice?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 16:06
AG knows more than LBND!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net