rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".


Thought for the Day:
QUARTER FINALISTS!

Latest: LYON 10:28 SARACENS
Next: Saracens V Glasgow Sat 19th Jan, 13.00 Allianz, ECR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Glasgow Sat 19th Jan 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV


Brad Barritt
bramleyboy (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:07
It would seem that with every game he doesn't play his value rises.

A natural captain who has the respect of the referees
Defensive leader
Attacking focal point, creating quick second phase ball
And third flanker

Tompkins looks lightweight outside a lighter 12 and Owen looks like he needs a few weeks in Spain.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:10
Eh? Tompkins was one of very few positives today. Don't worry we've got Daly coming in to solve the problem at 12 ... oh wait a minute.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 22:11
Agree but we have to learn to play without as he will start playing less and less over the next year or two.

I donít think Faz is the best captain in a team which is playing poor as he can get on the wrong side of the ref easily.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
John Tee (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 15:10
If he had a few years more in him, I would see him as best captain for England material.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 17:49
How long is he out for?

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:39
Not too long QP ...we are hoping he could be back for Lyon next week



European champions 2016 & 2017

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 19:47
That would be good.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 09:42
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
That would be good.

I dread to think what will happen if a bunch of French has-beens start winding up Captain Farrell.



£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:03
TT I think it's the Weegies that will be more of a test.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:08
Quote:
SarrieSaint
TT I think it's the Weegpies that will be more of a test.

I dread to think what will happen if Brad is not back by then!



£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
ultrasarrie (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 22:45
I agree that Tompkins looks better with Brad at 12, but I still thought that he played seriously well on Friday. For a small bloke he punches ridiculously high above his weight category ( a bit like Loz), his leg drive and refusal to hit the deck means he often steals an extra 5 yards even after he's been hit, and he has some seriously good hands - he juggled the ball a few times o Friday and did remarkably well to hold on. He turns 24 in Feb which I couldn't believe given how long he's been playing for us Ö


I echo all the points about Brad but moving forward after next season but as we all know it seems very unlikely that he will be able to continue playing as he does which brings us to the question of who will replace him. Obviously Teo will be linked to us but the last thing we need is another international that we will miss half the season, plus I personally think he's over-rated. Daly cant plug the gap at 12. We could play Farrell at 12 and Loz at 10, but I'm a believer in playing your best players in their best positions which means Faz at 10 and Loz at 13. Unfortunately Taylor is always injured, plus his best position is definitely 13. Which brings me to mark Atkinson. I saw him play for Glos yesterday against Tigers and in a back line that wasn't really firing he stood out. Just like Brad he always made the gain line and some, and on most occasions got his arms free for an offload - and was sensible enough to only give it when it was on. He wouldn't be away with England so could he be the club stalwart that wins us titles?

Any other suggestions for replacements for Brad?

 
Re: Brad Barritt
myleftboot (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 08:40
Crotty is being linked to Stains, there's a number of hard hitting Boks. It's hard to say, as the Brad we recruited wouldn't look like a good replacement for the Brad we have now

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Essex-Sarrie (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 13:48
I wasn't always a fan of Twelvetrees but this I season he has looked a much better player at 12. Whether that's because he has Ciprani inside or not I don't know, he is solid in the tackle and has good distribution. Could do a lot worse than him. Another I'd add is Ryan Mills, he's very underrated should be looked at by Eddie in the wider EPS.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
07 January, 2019 14:35
I think a much bigger issue is not who we get at Inside Centre, but who we have replacing Brad as captain AND the ref liaison role. These can be different people. Leicester used to do it when Johnson was the captain (= the biggest, intimidating scary bloke), and Geordan Murphy, who often used to do the ref liaison role with his controlled softer Irish lilt.

Brad does both of these excellently. Absolute star and totally respected. However, going forward we need to be grooming replacement(s) during next season. For me it's obvious, and the answer is Jamie George, while he's on the pitch. He can do both. When he's not there (= 30+ mins a game), then there's a few other candidates:

1. Faz (obviously) = but is very passionate, an organiser, standard setter, but is currently coming across as criticising and abrupt to ref's (who have clearly discussed this in their weekly meetings). I think his anointment as England captain is also clouding his judgement in some of our matches too;
2. Maro = intelligent, very eloquent and doesn't get too excited in leadership roles - we saw this in his breakthrough season as captain of the Cup side;
3. Alex Goode = he does everything else well, and why not this as well. Intelligent, highly eloquent and rarely flustered, and will not miss international games (while EJ's there). I'm also a believer in FB being a position to assess the game better than down in the trenches or heart of the battle.
4. Jackson Wray = as above, but not always sure of his place when everyone is fit = rarely.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 15:06
Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit
I think a much bigger issue is not who we get at Inside Centre, but who we have replacing Brad as captain AND the ref liaison role. These can be different people. Leicester used to do it when Johnson was the captain (= the biggest, intimidating scary bloke), and Geordan Murphy, who often used to do the ref liaison role with his controlled softer Irish lilt.
Brad does both of these excellently. Absolute star and totally respected. However, going forward we need to be grooming replacement(s) during next season. For me it's obvious, and the answer is Jamie George, while he's on the pitch. He can do both. When he's not there (= 30+ mins a game), then there's a few other candidates:

1. Faz (obviously) = but is very passionate, an organiser, standard setter, but is currently coming across as criticising and abrupt to ref's (who have clearly discussed this in their weekly meetings). I think his anointment as England captain is also clouding his judgement in some of our matches too;
2. Maro = intelligent, very eloquent and doesn't get too excited in leadership roles - we saw this in his breakthrough season as captain of the Cup side;
3. Alex Goode = he does everything else well, and why not this as well. Intelligent, highly eloquent and rarely flustered, and will not miss international games (while EJ's there). I'm also a believer in FB being a position to assess the game better than down in the trenches or heart of the battle.
4. Jackson Wray = as above, but not always sure of his place when everyone is fit = rarely.


I like the idea of Jackson as Captain, he's always calm and collected. Would be a good choice I think, though as you say with our current squad is he going to be starting every game?

 
Re: Brad Barritt
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 16:25
If Goode was at 10 then yes but FB is simply too far removed from the action IMO. Wray would be an excellent call but agree that you might still need an alternative.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
cwrich (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 16:57
Personally I think Maro is the obvious candidate with perhaps Goode as backup during the internationals. Actually donít subscribe to the belief that itís mainly Brad as captain we will miss. I think we will miss his leadership and organisation of our defensive line the most especially when Faz isnít on the pitch. Still donít see Loz or NT being ready to replace him. But Loz in particular could / should grow into that I guess.

Like the look of Francois Venter from Wuss. Heíd tick a lot of boxes at 12 especially if heís not in contention for the boks

 
Re: Brad Barritt
GerryK (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 17:01
Would go for Maro for the role of Captain after all he has a strong track record having successfully led the under 21's to the World Cup

 
Re: Brad Barritt
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 17:06
Quote:
GerryK
Would go for Maro for the role of Captain after all he has a strong track record having successfully led the under 21's to the World Cup

And our Storm team to the domestic cup as well of course.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Fezzes Are Cool (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 22:58
I like the idea of Jackson as captain, but like others have said, might not be in the team of everyone else is fit (but he should be)

How comes no one had suggested Jamie G as captain ?

 
Re: Brad Barritt
JO'G (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 11:04
there is a world of difference between Leader and Captain

no issue with Faz as Leader - he does this well - no change needed

big issue with Faz as Captain - he needs to control his conversations with the ref. Having Alex to trot up from full-back when the ref needs a word isn't a problem; the game will stop whilst he does so and the ref may have calmed a little whilst he gets there

 
Re: Brad Barritt
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 15:01
From afar, I would conclude that Maro should be our next captain. However, he has been attracting a lot of penalties lately.

He seems bright enough to learn from his mistakes and eloquent enough to influence refs.

I am hoping that there aren't any closet racists amongst our refs!



£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
#wolfpack (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 17:41
George Kruis? Less excitable than Jamie, Maro or Faz.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 18:39
Quote:
#wolfpack
George Kruis? Less excitable than Jamie, Maro or Faz.

Not a bad call actually

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 02:30
Brad will be a tough act to follow. An Ex 10 who has the attributes of a back row forward.

I know we are chasing Mr Daly who will give us cover at most of the back division but I am more concerned at cover at 12 for the big games as 12 is one specialist position I don't think he can cover. If Faz does not play there we look a bit threadbare and we need Faz at 10.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
boomer! (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 10:36
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
That would be good.

I dread to think what will happen if a bunch of French has-beens start winding up Captain Farrell.

IMHO, I don't think Owen is captain material. He is a wonderful players who plays with passion but he has poor self control. He is young and impetuous and if EJ persists in making Faz the England captain I can see no good coming from it.

This post of course is about Brad and he is a great captain. He knows when he should speak to the ref for clarification and when to keep his own council. These great attributes of captaincy are missing with Owen.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 19:14
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
That would be good.

I dread to think what will happen if a bunch of French has-beens start winding up Captain Farrell.

IMHO, I don't think Owen is captain material. He is a wonderful players who plays with passion but he has poor self control. He is young and impetuous and if EJ persists in making Faz the England captain I can see no good coming from it.

This post of course is about Brad and he is a great captain. He knows when he should speak to the ref for clarification and when to keep his own council. These great attributes of captaincy are missing with Owen.

I agree, with the exception of the excuse that Faz is young/inexperienced. He has at least 10 seasons of professional rugby behind him - he's a lot younger than I, but he's not a young player anymore!



£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
14 January, 2019 15:21
Noticed yesterday that Faz was particularly silent with the ref, certainly compared to previous weeks. In fact the only person 'forming a relationship' with the ref was Jamie, who had a relatively long, amiable conversation about the scrums, and after that we seemed to get everything there.

In the absence of 'Mr Concrete': Faz as Leader, Jamie as Referee Liaison Officer.

In 6N, if Mr Concrete not about, then would suggest use Jackson or Alex G. in these roles.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:39
Agree about Jamie. Also interesting that after being schooled by Sales pack the Sarries forwards made a point of painting the right picture after the ref had pinged an infringement (ie even if the pack lost initial contact making sure they blew through the Lyon pack after the whistle was blown for a reset)

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 19:25
Had a chat with Schalk Burger in restaurant in Lyon & Brad is def back next week NI not too far away & Michael Rhodes mid feb!



European champions 2016 & 2017

 
Re: Brad Barritt
EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 11:48
Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit
Noticed yesterday that Faz was particularly silent with the ref, certainly compared to previous weeks. In fact the only person 'forming a relationship' with the ref was Jamie, who had a relatively long, amiable conversation about the scrums, and after that we seemed to get everything there.
In the absence of 'Mr Concrete': Faz as Leader, Jamie as Referee Liaison Officer.


In 6N, if Mr Concrete not about, then would suggest use Jackson or Alex G. in these roles.

I love the idea of a referee liaison officer

 
Re: Brad Barritt
F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 12:59
Quote:
EnfieldMal
Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit

In the absence of 'Mr Concrete': Faz as Leader, Jamie as Referee Liaison Officer.


In 6N, if Mr Concrete not about, then would suggest use Jackson or Alex G. in these roles.

I love the idea of a referee liaison officer

A Referee Liaison Officer - utterly fantastic, the "RLO" as it should become known!!

 
Re: Brad Barritt
MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 13:28
Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit
Noticed yesterday that Faz was particularly silent with the ref, certainly compared to previous weeks. In fact the only person 'forming a relationship' with the ref was Jamie, who had a relatively long, amiable conversation about the scrums, and after that we seemed to get everything there.
In the absence of 'Mr Concrete': Faz as Leader, Jamie as Referee Liaison Officer.

In 6N, if Mr Concrete not about, then would suggest use Jackson or Alex G. in these roles.

Quite agree. Jamie as RLO!

 
Re: Brad Barritt
tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 14:14
Ha! The roly poly RLO. How unkind - I'll give myself a slap.(Sm151)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2019 16:00 by tpr's headmistress.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
LutonS (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 14:43
I am a RLO and I live in a hole........

I'll get my coat [:wor kid:]

 
Re: Brad Barritt
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 15:54
Two co-captains - one of them to talk to the ref (he shouldn't accept both) and one to exhort his teammates in a northern accent!



£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Neville (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 17:08
Sounds good. But whom do we grow or recruit to replace Brad if injured and when he retires.


I've been very impressed with Dom Morris in the Cup team and we've other good young centres coming thru too.


And I'm not at all sure that Loz is a 12.He's a 13. I know were trying to squeeze him in there ands he does a job. But he's a better 13.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 21:02
Quote:
TonyTaff
Two co-captains - one of them to talk to the ref (he shouldn't accept both) and one to exhort his teammates in a northern accent!

The Captain and T'Captain?

 
Re: Brad Barritt
ninjafez (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 11:59
Quote:
Neville
Sounds good. But whom do we grow or recruit to replace Brad if injured and when he retires.

I've been very impressed with Dom Morris in the Cup team and we've other good young centres coming thru too.


And I'm not at all sure that Loz is a 12.He's a 13. I know were trying to squeeze him in there ands he does a job. But he's a better 13.

I have always dreamt of a future of Tom Griffiths/Nic Tompkins its just a shame that Toms not had a good run out so far due to injury



Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

 
Re: Brad Barritt
beshocked (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 11:10
Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit
Noticed yesterday that Faz was particularly silent with the ref, certainly compared to previous weeks. In fact the only person 'forming a relationship' with the ref was Jamie, who had a relatively long, amiable conversation about the scrums, and after that we seemed to get everything there.
In the absence of 'Mr Concrete': Faz as Leader, Jamie as Referee Liaison Officer.

In 6N, if Mr Concrete not about, then would suggest use Jackson or Alex G. in these roles.

Said this many times, Jamie George is one of the few people who should be captain when Brad isn't around.

Farrell isn't captaincy material. He can be a leader - inspiration but he's not the same as a Jackson Wray or Alex G in terms of keeping cool.


Alex Goode is of course another candidate.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:05
Quote:
beshocked
Farrell isn't captaincy material.

He's just been named as sole England captain so the powers that be are obviously not listening.

 
Re: Brad Barritt
Squawker2 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:53
Quote:
But whom do we grow or recruit to replace Brad

If we'd thought about it, then last time he was injured they could have taken a cutting and grown that?



-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

 
Re: Brad Barritt
beshocked (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 12:58
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
beshocked
Farrell isn't captaincy material.

He's just been named as sole England captain so the powers that be are obviously not listening.

Just because he's been picked doesn't mean he should be.

Sarries and England's poor discipline with Farrell in charge is proof of that.

Of course the disciplinary woes aren't down to one player but being able to get the ref on side is important.


Being a good player doesn't necessarily make you a good/suitable captain.


Who cares if England have disciplinary problems again? Right?

It's not as if any of us want Saracens and England to do well?



Maybe Farrell will be able to get the refs on his side in the 6 nations.

I personally wouldn't take that risk but then again Jones is in charge not me.

Clearly discipline isn't seen as an issue.

It would be what I would drum into the players - keep calm, stay controlled, be dynamic, stay on the good side of the ref, adapt.

Not tell the ref how to do his job.


Jamie George in my opinion is more suitable as captaincy material.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2019 13:02 by beshocked.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?