rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
NEWCASTLE HERE WE COME!!!!!!

Latest: SARACENS 32:16 MUNSTER
Next: WASPS v SARACENS
Sat 27th April, 16.30 Ricoh,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Wasps v Saracens Sat 27th April 16.15 BT Sport2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sup v Lyon..
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 12:17
Well sort of..
Email with link to club that's now gone down!!
States Jamie and Maro back and Jackson will start at 6..

Hmmm

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Re: Sup v Lyon..
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 12:18
From email..
Maro Itoje returns from injury to start for Saracens against Lyon in the Heineken Champions Cup.

International and club teammate Jamie George is reinstated at hooker after being rested last weekend and Jackson Wray is the third and final change in the pack, coming into the back row at six.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 12:23
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwoG0arXQAAFvqf.jpg

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 12:24
Still no Brad, reinforces my view that the clearout on him should have been reviewed at the time

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 12:25
Plus also from e-mail

Just one alteration in the backs sees Sean Maitland replace David Strettle on the wing.

Saracens team to face Lyon in the Heineken Champions Cup on Sunday 13th January:
FORWARDS: Mako Vunipola (156), Jamie George (), Vincent Koch (51), Maro Itoje (), George Kruis (169), Jackson Wray (211), Schalk Burger (65), Billy Vunipola (94).

BACKS: Alex Goode (277), Sean Maitland (54), Nick Tompkins (85), Alex Lozowski (74), Liam Williams (22), Owen Farrell (186), Richard Wigglesworth (222).

REPLACEMENTS: Christopher Tolofua (27), Richard Barrington (152), Christian Judge (10), Will Skelton (43), Ben Earl (29), Ben Spencer (142), Marcelo Bosch (127), David Strettle (145).

myleftboot (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 13:12
Christ, is tom woolstencroft injured?

Neville (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 13:39
Isiekwe rested presumably. He is due one and was not at his best against Sale.

JO'G (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 14:05
I thought Woolsencroft wasn't in the squad, but just checked and he is

Tolufea is likely to be on his best form in France I would have thought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2019 14:07 by JO'G .

Garp285 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 14:15
Looks like a very decent and strong side - but then I thought that last week too!!!

Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 15:02
Lyon team:
The Lyon composition Menini, Lacombe, Gomez Kodela, Roodt, Van der Merwe, Puricelli (cap), Cretin, Fourie Doussain (m), Wisniewski (o), Palisson, Regard, Barassi, Nakaitaci Arnold. Replacements

: Maurouard, Buckle, Yameogo, Oosthuizen, Gill, Wulf, Buttin, McLeod.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 15:45
Arnold! Regard roodt cretin butt in.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 16:13
Is Fearns injured again? Seems to have been a no show for most of Lyons games?

Like others really like the look of the team just hope to see some composure from Farrell and the ball getting to our exciting backs. Great to have Maro and Wray back. COYS.

RobB (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 16:35
Looks like 5 changes for lyon in their starting XV (including Fearns at No.8). They caused a little upset by beating Montpellier away 14-25 last Saturday and are currently 5th in the Top14 with an 8 and 5 record (with one draw)

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 17:15
You occasionally get foreign names which offer a comedy moment for us Brits, however Cretin and Buttin are particularly unfortunate n'est ce pas?

That aside, I sincerely hope that Maro can restore some steel to a side that has been misfiring quite a lot recently, and do it without giving away any penalties! Coz that's the last thing we need after recent outings.

A win would be great but a decent performance would really be the icing on the cake.

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 17:43
Quote:
GazzaFez
You occasionally get foreign names which offer a comedy moment for us Brits, however Cretin and Buttin are particularly unfortunate n'est ce pas?

The best of the lot being this one, who gave the BBC commentators a great deal of trouble when he played in the U20 Six Nations a couple of years ago:

[www.eurosport.co.uk]

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 18:49
Quote:
Surbiton Sarries
Quote:
GazzaFez

The best of the lot being this one, who gave the BBC commentators a great deal of trouble when he played in the U20 Six Nations a couple of years ago:

[www.eurosport.co.uk]

grinning smiley

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 19:06
The Lyon team/Squad is stronger than I had anticipated. Methinks they aren't throwing this one.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 20:41
Quote:
GazzaFez

They are mildly entertaining diversions by the time the weekend approaches.

However, I ran into Rupes Recta today, which was positively alarming.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:00
To those of you out in Lyon .. stay safe..
I understand there's a 'Gilets jaunes' going on and Police out in force.

So stay in the bars until all quiet!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:53
Latest Team News...

Strettle out Lewington in.

Due to illness..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

london pride (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 08:43
Quote:
1876-Fez
To those of you out in Lyon .. stay safe..
I understand there's a 'Gilets jaunes' going on and Police out in force.

So stay in the bars until all quiet!!

In the taxi last night going back to the hotel,the driver couldn't go down a road because the 'Yellow Jackets ' had barricaded the road
.We then found ourselves surrounded by them, obviously protesting at the lack of soap and water by the look of them.God knows what the driver said to them because they let him turn around and go back.The driver said the protestors had picked that site for the next punch up with the French old Bill.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 09:00
Quote:
london pride
.The driver said the protestors had picked that site for the next punch up with the French old Bill.
Blimey, the CRS don't mess around!

GraemeW (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 09:17
We also had an “interesting” afternoon in Lyon curtesy of the Gillet Jaunes and local police. Arriving at the main square from the metro, the demonstrators were in the square with French police with riot shields and guns everywhere, police vans with sirens blaring rushing about and a helicopter in the sky. After a brief walk around we decided best to head for a drink and something to eat.

When we finished we headed for the river, only to find the the protesters had moved there too. When the police started charging and using tear gas, We decided best to head back to our hotel which is down near the stadium. However, our tram then got stopped by police two stops from our destination as the protesters had moved on again (Were they tracking us?!) Everyone had to get off the tram and we were left to walk and try and find our way back to the hotel which we could see on the other side of the river. The route to the bridge across the river involved negotiating charging riot police and fires started by protesters. Never has an Ibis looked so welcoming as when we finally got back there.

Whatever happens at the match today, it can’t be as tense as yesterday’s events.

Nobody can say following Sarries in Europe is not eventful!!!!

Let’s have a big win this afternoon. Expecting Maro and Billy to really make an impact.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 09:51
Wow... glad you are all safe, another great story for the future....

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

FezOnaBike (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 12:16
1876!

It's a far cry from wearing a Yellow Jacket, bored to tears stood on a pointless
traffic point for hours on end, after Public Order Branch got the Intel wrong again!

'......time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....'

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 14:39
Quote:
FezOnaBike
1876!
It's a far cry from wearing a Yellow Jacket, bored to tears stood on a pointless
traffic point for hours on end, after Public Order Branch got the Intel wrong again!

Don't remind me... counting bricks fir entertainment!!

'......time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....'

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:17
A real struggle of a first half again. We're finding breaking teams down and making line breaks really difficult at the moment.

Hopefully we get an early score in the second half, Lyon throw in the towel and we have 30 odd minutes to practice some attacking phases. Our wingers seem very reluctant to come off their wing at the moment which is odd: Liam Williams isn't bad at rugby, get him involved!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:17
Looking reasonably comfortable so far but we can't take the pressure off. I think a couple of very tight calls have gone our way but the non-penalty decision against Burger just on half time was correct.

Don't know if it's just me but Lyon (understandably perhaps) don't seem particularly fired up for this.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 16:26
What an absolutely stunning try from Nick Tompkins! The strength and determination of the guy is just amazing. Well worth his place in the team.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:12
A TBP win away in Europe is always a good result. I thought the overall performance was definitely better as well.

In other news Glasgow have secured a TBP win against Cardiff giving them 19 points versus our 23. Even though we have now qualified for the QF next week's game could be interesting!

Man from LA (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:17
It's good to see that the are no complaints about the referee this week, I'm guessing it's pure coincidence that you won as well...

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:21
Job done superbly.

Not even 'tarnished' SamLee99

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:25
Quote:
Man from LA
It's good to see that the are no complaints about the referee this week, I'm guessing it's pure coincidence that you won as well...

Of course there are... only a yellow for a stamp and twist for one.

Nice of you to pop over to our board for some interaction... feel free to return, another one of yours samlee99 is enjoying the attention so you can also...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2019 17:28 by 1876-Fez.

OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:28
Quote:
Man from LA

Ref made mistakes but the mistakes were split between both sides and therefore didn’t affect the game too much.. Burger should have been punished for his clear out but the stamp on Skelton should have been a red.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:51
Quote:
Man from LA

Itoje was yellow card for a deliberate slap down. The replay (which he didn't bother looking at) CLEARLY showed that Maro knocked the ball backwards so not even a penalty let alone a yellow. Not a perfect reffing display at all but he didn't let his ego ruin the game and it flowed well and obviously didn't affect the result. Overall I thought he was good.

13 January, 2019 18:06
Did what we needed to do, and away games in France are never a foregone conclusion.

Crucially, now any form of win against Glasgow gets us first seed overall.

An LBP still tops the group (because we denied them one in October) and also secures a home quarter final. Probably as 3rd seed.

A really bad result against Glasgow and we’re still almost certain of being best runner up so 6th seed.

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:35
Just caught up with the replay of the Lyon game. How strong is Nick Tompkins? He doesn’t look that big but cirikey, such strength for his second try. He was my man of the match.
Also Jamie George is such a calming presence on the pitch shouldn’t he be given a turn as captain when Owen gets all “angst”?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:38
Well I was very encouraged by that performance. Thought it was a composed performance and the result didn't feel in doubt after the first twenty and was a definite step in the right direction.

Major pluses were Farrell and the team (full credit to Jamie George here too) managed the referee much better. I am not familiar with how good Lyons scrum and pack are but we looked to have the edge up front too. Defence was mainly excellent until players were out on their feet but the attack was also pretty one-dimensional so not too many back-slaps. Lineout a work-on and even the ball we took several were very underthrown. Still wish we'd mix it up a bit more in attack and play more ball in hand given the backs we have but that's just my view. Thought that the team rucked well and mostly kept Lyons jackalling 8 at bay.

A few players really stood out in a good team performance. I thought Burger played as well as I have seen him for a while and Kruis had a huge game. Thought Maro was good, harried Lyon well, got a turnover and intercepted a pass when they were 5M from our line. There was also nothing wrong with him slapping the ball back to get a yellow for that must have been very frustrating. Tbf Skelton should probably have gone for the high tackle after a team warning so I guess it evened out.

Mako very good but Tompkins MotM for me by a mile. He missed a few tackles but he then often busts a gut to chase the attacker down. Incredible strength to make the line from the back of the maul with three Lyon players holding onto him, Elliott who?

Delighted that Billy got through another shift. Overall watching this game and the Glasgow one the team needs to find a few more gears but if we can build on todays game that's certainly possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2019 19:45 by SarrieSaint.

Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 20:18
Hope Brads back next week to shore up the midfield defence.

The Bard (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 21:28
Lyon most certainly were up for it, our ball carriers were getting smashed back behind the gain line and our lineout was taken apart.
Where they lacked was precision in attack, bought about by our outstanding line speed and intensity.
Two fantastic inside passes from Mako probably won us the game. Goodey and Liam both excellent too.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 23:15
Boys were up for it, just in fits and starts. That said, we did solve the issue of not taking our opportunities in crushing style.

We were most definitely due a yellow card, but Maro didn't deserve to be the player who took the hit - his knock was backwards!

I imagine citing will be taking a better look at the stamp - full credit to TMO though for catching that in the midst of lots of other stuff

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Rupes (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 09:15
Strange game - I thought both teams at various stages were up for it! I still don't think, if that had been a semi final for example against one of the other top four seeds, that performance would take us through but it was certainly an improvement on the past x weeks. Nick Tompkins VERY good. Given his form, what's our "best" backline?

9 Wigglesworth
10 Faz
11 Williams
12 Barritt??? (or Lozowski, so he can mix it up with Faz at 10/12?)
13 Tompkins???
14 Maitland??? I prefer Lewington, but could argue either
15 Goode

Haven't even mentioned Marcello.

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 09:56
‘Cello has his ankle in a boot last night and this morning.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 13:06
I don't imagine that Cello and Duncan have much rugby left in them. We'd better extend Nick's contract and sign someone else who won't be away on international duty -Sonny Bill! He and Faz can attend the same tackle-height awareness course!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

chris87 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 14:05
Quote:
TonyTaff
I don't imagine that Cello and Duncan have much rugby left in them. We'd better extend Nick's contract and sign someone else who won't be away on international duty -Sonny Bill! He and Faz can attend the same tackle-height awareness course!

I can see Duncan being forced to retire at the end of the season which would be a great shame for everyone.

And Nick signed a new contract earlier in the season. There were rumours that he was not happy with the Daly rumour as he signed for longer before the Daly one came about.

Long term do we see Nick as our replacement 12 for Brad? As he punches above his weight in attack but in defence he can be bumped off (but always gets up and chases to attempt the tackle) but can work on the defensive part of the game from Brad.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 15:40
NT has been doing very well at 13 but I do think he is probably a 12. He can get beaten for pace slightly on the outside. I wouldn't have too many concerns about his physicality at 12 - a few seasons ago he lined up against Nonu and Basteraud in the centres and didn't take a backward step.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:11
Agree with the sentiments that Tompkins looks like a 12 rather than 13 (and vice-versa for Lozo)

Neither are going to be Barritt (nor is the redundant Daly) so it means changing the way the team play if that's part of the plan. It will certainly require a more creative mindset from 9 and 10 as without someone to straighten the line like Barritt does there will be less space.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 09:26
Is Spencer the more creative nine sarriesaint?

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 17:30
Quote:
myleftboot
Is Spencer the more creative nine sarriesaint?

Yes. He presents a bigger danger to oppositions with his darting runs and innovative play. He's also quicker and stronger. However, Wiggy is undoubtedly a safer pair of hands and more reliable. Both have an annoying habit of phaffing around at the base of a scrum far too often IMHO. If we're running the clock down with a decent lead then Wiggy for me every time. If we're chasing the points then it has to be Spencer. Problem is, that gives no clue as to who to start a match with, hence the rotation I guess. Horses for courses, both are excellent.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 17:56
No Citing's

LINK

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net