rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
INTO THE FINAL!

Latest: WORCESTER WARRIORS 22:38 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS V LEICESTER TIGERS 16th Feb, Allianz 15.00 ,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Leicester Tigers GP 14.30 sat 16th Feb BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Marlie Paker's been a bit naughty...
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 15:00

Re: Marlie Paker's been a bit naughty...
TOKS (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 17:21
“I spoke to the Rugby Players’ Association. They’ve dealt with lots of other players, and told me it’s not an uncommon thing, it’s about how you learn from it.”

Well, you obviously didn't learn a lot from the first time, did you?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 18:25
[www.theguardian.com]

Whilst not wanting to minimise the seriousness of drink driving fortunately no one was hurt and its good that the RFU and I'd guess Sarries are helping her.

Barty II (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 08:59
Quote:
TOKS
“I spoke to the Rugby Players’ Association. They’ve dealt with lots of other players, and told me it’s not an uncommon thing, it’s about how you learn from it.”
Well, you obviously didn't learn a lot from the first time, did you?

Two very very different incidents. Doesn't make it right but always helps to have the context.

Roger G (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 10:51
From the reports it seems she made the very common mistake of underestimating how much alcohol there is per glass, rather than getting battered. It amazes me how many blokes are completely confident thay are OK to drive after two pints, which may have been the case back in the days of Watney's Red Barrel, but certainly not Peroni and Starpromen etc.

Barty II (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 12:11
Exactly. And lets not speculate on how many of the cars leaving Allianz Park every match day are being driven by someone who's had a pint or two while they've enjoyed the rugby.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 12:52
I understand why there is a limit, for morning after, etc. But it shouldn't be for "just a couple," if you're driving, don't drink. She may be "only" had two, then had an accident. Would she have had the same accident after a couple of coffee? If the answer is anything other than yes, it's just lucky nobody else was injured by her drinking.

TOKS (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 14:13
I do wonder what the reaction on here would have been if she:

a) had seriously injured or killed someone
b) didn't play for Saracens

I happen to hold the view that drink driving is wrong. And to be done for it twice beggars belief.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 14:36
Is she a prop, or was she drinking with them?

Two pints of Prosecco, please! winking smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 15:23
Quote:
TonyTaff
Is she a prop, or was she drinking with them?
Two pints of Prosecco, please! winking smiley

Two pints of Creme de Menthe surely? smileys with beer

paulglynn (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 15:53
And don't forget she also lost her job

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 15:58
Quote:
TOKS

I happen to hold the view that drink driving is wrong. And to be done for it twice beggars belief.

I agree, does not matter who it is, drink driving is totally wrong and offenders deserve all punishment they get. No excuse at all

Barty II (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 08:53
Quote:
TOKS

a) much more negative
b) probably wouldn't have been a topic

FezOnaBike (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 10:30
I think 17 months for a second Drink/Drive conviction, is far to lenient. As someone
who has witnessed the misery this causes over the years, I feel this sends out the wrong
message.

I cannot help thinking because of her public profile, she got off likely. A bit like 'danny
boy'. Sorry folks, I concur with comments made previously, Drink/Driving is wrong.

Rant Over!

'......time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....'

Mac L (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 19:28
Having supervised those convicted of drink driving and run educational/offence focused groups for drink drivers; 17mths for a second offence is not actually out of the norm. There was a time gap between convictions. My concern is that, unless she is very unusual, it is unlikely to be only twice that she has driven when over the limit. This needs attention and dealing with, hopefully it will be.

boomer! (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:55
Quote:
TOKS

Drink driving is not illegal or unlawful.

Driving over the limit is.

Government guidelines state that the limit in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is
80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath or
107 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine

So if you were 79 mgs per 100mls and cause death by driving you would be 'sober' and treated completely different from a 'drunk' driver whose reading was 81 mgs per 100mls.

People should be very careful before they get on their high horses

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 21:44
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
TOKS

Government guidelines state that the limit in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is

So if you were 79 mgs per 100mls and cause death by driving you would be 'sober' and treated completely different from a 'drunk' driver whose reading was 81 mgs per 100mls.

What's the point you're trying to make?

samlee99 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 11:11
Quote:
boomer!
Quote:
TOKS

Could be why people who aren't on high horses think drink driving is wrong.

Roger G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 11:27
The problem may be that people have their own definition of "drink driving". I'd guess the point Boomer was trying to make is that the current law of the land (right or wrong) allows a certain amount of alcohol in the blood before anybody is officially in the "drink driving" bracket.

Personally I don't drink before driving (except maybe for a glass of wine with a meal), and IMHO the key is education. Everybody ought to know their own limits rather than just assuming they'll be OK, and there a number of cheap self-breathalysers around to achieve this. If in doubt err very much on the side of caution.

I also think there should be different punishments for those who go over just a little bit (education perhaps) than for those who get totally, and unashamedly, plastered (throw thte book at them).

JO'G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:09
my understanding is you cannot be done for drunken driving if you are riding a horse

the animal is deemed to have the ability to get home without input from the rider and therefore it's not dangerous

mind you apart from the miner's strike, very few examples of injuries involving a horse except to the rider

boomer! (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:38
Thank you Roger.

Whenever there is an incident that involves alcohol everyone bangs on about "drink driving" as opposed to driving whilst over the legal limit. There is a difference

Equally, if a bloke who has had a few bevvies walks along a river embankment and slips and falls into the river and drowns, the first thing we are told is that the autopsy report showed he was one and a half times over the drink driving limit.

FFS, 1) he was walking, 2) He could have had just 2 1/4 pints of 4.2% beer to hit that level.

The subject is emotive and brings out all the keyboards warriors.

Marlie broke the law, she has been fined and banned. End of.

TOKS (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:45
Boomer, I appreciate the difference.

Was she not driving whilst over the legal limit?

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:39
Quote:
TOKS
Boomer, I appreciate the difference.
Was she not driving whilst over the legal limit?
u

That’s what I was querying, Boomers comment was ambiguous to say the least. My final comment is along the lines of many people have gone to prison for committing the same offence of drink driving twice, no play on words, drink driving offence!

TOKS (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 15:50
It's also a cultural/age thing. A lot of people of a certain vintage were brought up in an era where it was perfectly acceptable to have a few jars and then get into your car and drive home. It was the era of the expression "one for the road" after all. These days the legal limit is not necessarily lower, but it is more strictly enforced and the penalties harsher (though not in this case). Therefore "younger" people were raised in an era where it was very frowned on to have a few drinks and then drive.

Of course the above is very much a generalisation and I appreciate that.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 18:36
The huge problem these days is drug driving. Unlike alcohol, drugs do not metabolize within the system at a reasonably predictable rate. Consequently it is perfectly possible to test positive for cannabis for example, a couple of days after smoking a joint or two.

Also the law is different in so far as the levels for testing positive are set quite low but there is no graduated scale of incapacity. In other words, it is a simple pass or fail and the sanction is the same regardless of the level of drug present. The ban may be lengthened a little if there are aggravating features (e.g. accident or evidence of poor driving), or if there are traces of more than one drug in the system.

Police are becoming increasingly hot on drug driving, with good reason. Recreational drug taking is so commonplace these days and people have little or no awareness of the law wrt driving afterwards.

Mac L (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 19:31
J O'G As a point to mention you can be drunk in charge of several things, even a child. If you are drunk and riding a horse and are not in control you could be charged with drunk and disorderly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net