rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next:
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Maro
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 19:02
Has signed a new contract: [twitter.com]

Re: Maro
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 19:05
Now on the Fish

<< Maro Itoje >>

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 19:06
Amazing news. Another one to sign a long term deal.

CB1959 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 19:19
Good news. Pity we couldn’t get longer

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 19:30
Great news.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 20:53
... great news...

But the sensationalist headlines start..

[www.rugbypass.com]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2019 20:54 by 1876-Fez.

londondoc (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 21:01
Phew!! What a relief!

The Bard (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 21:18
Shock horror. One of the best players in the world might earn more money than most other players!!!

vunipolae (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 21:38
Quote:
CB1959
Good news. Pity we couldn’t get longer

I was thinking this as well but 2022 is actually better for us than 2023 as in 2022 he'll have to sign for an English team if he wants to play in the 2023 world cup and we will be the only team that can marquee him. If it expires in 2023 he could decide to play the world cup then head abroad

(This is all assuming the same rules as currently exist)

Ricardo121 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 09:47
Err,

"He was appointed Saracens captain aged 20 and has led the London-based club to back-to-back Champions Cup successes and three Premiership titles."

[www.theguardian.com]

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 10:24
(Sm152)

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:41
Quote:
1876-Fez
... great news...

[www.rugbypass.com]

Unfortunately headlines like that do nothing to convince other supporters that we operate under the salary cap...

london pride (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:51
What dosent help as well were some of the nasty silly little remarks made by Lawrence Dayglo on BT sports 'The rugby club'last night.Not surprised though.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:54
Quote:
london pride
What dosent help as well were some of the nasty silly little remarks made by Lawrence Dayglo on BT sports 'The rugby club'last night.Not surprised though.

Just watching that now... disappointing from a "professional"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2019 12:54 by Sarriebone.

TOKS (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 13:08
The salary is irrelevant as he now qualifies to be a marquee player and replaces the retiring Schalk Burger in that slot. Disappointing (though not surprising) as to how utterly clueless Dayglo is.

Who was/is the other marquee now? Liam Williams? Or is Owen's deal now bigger and he will thus replace him in that slot and Williams reverts to being on the payroll?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 13:59
Can someone enlighten mr on Lols comments... can't get to watch it...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 14:44
Quote:
1876-Fez

They were going through the team picked by twitter, Lol commented that Maro had re-signed during the day, Ugo slyly but laughingly said "cheap", to which Lol replied "Very cheap, along with all those other very cheap players!"

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 14:59
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
1876-Fez

They were going through the team picked by twitter, Lol commented that Maro had re-signed during the day, Ugo slyly but laughingly said "cheap", to which Lol replied "Very cheap, along with all those other very cheap players!"

Oh, usual cheap shots then... not surprised..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 15:31
I can't remember the different criteria for each of the marquee player exemption. Wasn't the first one subject to the criterion that they came from outside the Premiership, whereas the second one had some home-grown criteria thrown in?

Anyhow, rugbypass is good at tabloid journalism, not so hot on detail!

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Gryff (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 16:34
For the excluded players one has to have been with the Club for the previous 2 seasons ie Owen or Maro and one has to not have played in Prem for the year before he is nominated eg Liam, Schalk or Will

paulglynn (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 16:51
Quote:
Gryff
For the excluded players one has to have been with the Club for the previous 2 seasons ie Owen or Maro and one has to not have played in Prem for the year before he is nominated eg Liam, Schalk or Will
Or Strettle?

King Zak (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 22:53
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
1876-Fez

Whilst Wasps have wasted huge sums of money trying to ‘buy in’ success

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

london pride (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 23:08
Quote:
King Zak
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
1876-Fez

King Zak. The internet isn't the place for truth and fact, it's rumour, rubbish and total b******s please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2019 23:09 by london pride.

JO'G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 09:22
i've noticed quite a few podcasts being very sensible in 'education' around player renewals. They have pulled up a number of cases of players who were prepared to be paid less to play for a priority club. the latest being Matthew Tait who confirmed a few years ago he took a cut to go to Leicester

with England games now being 25k revenue each, making sure you are in the right shop window to get called up (especially those players who are bench at best) is worth the investment. Oh and you get more appearances in semi-finals and finals all of which makes your profile higher. Which in turn adds to your post-rugby income hopes

All in all, the podcasts are making the public be aware that Exeter and Sarries don't pay top wages ; in fact they are often paying significantly less than say Wasps or Gloucester.

TOKS (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:53
To paraphrase what London Pride said before, Jeremy, what you've said there is just far too sensible. This is the internet after all and it'll never catch on!

myleftboot (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:42
Quote:
King Zak

they could consult Lawrence on alternate revenue streams. He got the hook up in da endz

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:45
Quote:
TOKS
To paraphrase what London Pride said before, Jeremy, what you've said there is just far too sensible. This is the internet after all and it'll never catch on!

I see in the news today the London Pride brewer Fuller's has been bought by Japanese firm Asahi. Just saying.....

london pride (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 18:27
That's why I picked that name,I've drunk so much of the stuff over the years, I must have shares in the company.I suppose in the future you will have to drink a pint with a spring roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2019 18:27 by london pride.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 22:58
Quote:
GazzaFez

I see in the news today the London Pride brewer Fuller's has been bought by Japanese firm Asahi. Just saying.....
please let that mean fullers pubs stock nikka whiskey

LutonS (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 11:27
Quote:
london pride
That's why I picked that name,I've drunk so much of the stuff over the years, I must have shares in the company.I suppose in the future you will have to drink a pint with a spring roll.

English tapas?

myleftboot (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:18
Quote:
LutonS
Quote:
london pride

English tapas?
nothing new, crisps, nuts and pickled eggs

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 15:30
Quote:
1876-Fez
... great news...

[www.rugbypass.com]

Jealousy, like Saracens would release what they are paying their players anyway... Also fails to mention that Saracens is in Maros blood, maybe he stays because he respects the coaches, he gets to play a high level each week and has a fantastic set of teammates, and fans?

29 January, 2019 15:51
So far as i know he's still working on his politics degree at University in Bloomsbury so probably doesn't want to stray too far.

GerryK (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 19:11
Quote:
Viewfromthearmchair
So far as i know he's still working on his politics degree at University in Bloomsbury so probably doesn't want to stray too far.

I thought Maro had completed his degree

jjpp12 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 20:16
He graduated this summer.

boomer! (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 20:35
Knee Medial Ligaments,

FFS!

(Sm58)

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 22:06
BBC reporting he will have a scan but according to Eddie:-

"I think he's done a medial ligament, Obviously we'll investigate that."

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 23:06
And the real problem with giving our players to England? -

The rest of Eddie's quote -
"He'll be a loss for us but we've got some other good players to come into the squad so we'll wait and see."

So who actually puts him back together and has to manage without him? - US.

Dynodragon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 00:11
Injuries are part and parcel of the game, no point in sour grapes of when and where they happen. A club that doesn’t want international quality players involved in test matches of the highest level doesn’t want to win the highest level of club games.

My own shockingly bad rugby career was ended when I did my ACL,PCL and Meniscus ligaments in one go and all I was doing was regaining my feet at a ruck, bad luck is bad luck no matter how it happens.

BACK TO BLACK (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 08:29
Agreed Dyno but I think most of us blanched somewhat at Yoda's rather cavalier attitude to it all. Yeah we'll have a look mate but there's plenty more where he came from.
But who knows what goes on off screen - maybe he gave Small a call and said how concerned he was and wished Maro well for a swift recovery?
Assuming Liam's was a HIA only?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 08:32
Quote:
BarnetSarrie
And the real problem with giving our players to England? -
The rest of Eddie's quote -
"He'll be a loss for us but we've got some other good players to come into the squad so we'll wait and see."

So who actually puts him back together and has to manage without him? - US.

Thats life if you have international players. Same for everyone

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:13
Obviously - but my point is that it's is the attitude that makes it hard to take - and the fact that when you provide so many players the odds are that it is more likely to affect your club.
England just draft someone else in. Not so easy at club level.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 17:21
According to rugby pass out for 8 weeks
Better than it might be if true as we'd lose him for most of that time anyway and at least he'll be fit and fresh

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 18:14
Quote:
Darraghgirl
According to rugby pass out for 8 weeks
Better than it might be if true as we'd lose him for most of that time anyway and at least he'll be fit and fresh

That was the initial report from rugbypass. The other reports that I have seen since then has him only out for 2-4 weeks, which is the usual length for a Grade 2 MCL tear, which is what he is supposed to have had. Either way, it's not as bad as initially feared

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 12:16
BarnetSarrie12 - I have never heard of a grade 2 tear being repaired in a couple of weeks - four at minimum, even for elite athletes. They'd be utter morons to try to bring him back before it is really properly healed. No matter what Eddie or England - or indeed Maro himself wants. Duty of care and all that.

Garp285 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 16:53
Quote:
BarnetSarrie
BarnetSarrie12 - I have never heard of a grade 2 tear being repaired in a couple of weeks - four at minimum, even for elite athletes. They'd be utter morons to try to bring him back before it is really properly healed. No matter what Eddie or England - or indeed Maro himself wants. Duty of care and all that.
Could be some confusion on weeks/games? Some reports saying definitely out for France and Wales, which would be three weeks but then it's a further two until the next England game, which is Italy on 09 March, so that would actually be 5 weeks but only two games??

cwrich (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 18:46
Beeb saying 2-4 weeks and Nick called up as cover

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net