rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
BOYS ON TOP!

Latest: SARACENS 33:10 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: GLOUCESTER RUGBY v SARACENS 22nd Feb, Kingsholm 19.45 ,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Gloucester Rugby v Saracens GP 19.00 Fri 22nd Feb BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

'sup for Quins
sodslaw (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:08
Saracens team to face Harlequins at The Stoop in the Premiership Rugby Cup on Saturday 26thJanuary (KO 15H00):

FORWARDS: Richard Barrington (154), Tom Woolstencroft (11), Titi Lamositele (63), Dom Day (24), Joel Kpoku (5), Nick Isiekwe (48), Sean Reffell (5), Sione Vailanu (7).

BACKS: Matt Gallagher (24), Ali Crossdale (5), Alex Lozowski (76), Dom Morris (8), Rotimi Segun (7), Max Malins (20), Tom Whiteley (21).

REPLACEMENTS: Joe Gray (3), Ralph Adams-Hale (3), Billy Walker (6), Will Skelton (45), Jackson Wray (213), Henry Taylor (11), Manu Vunipola (0), Tom Griffiths (2).

Re: 'sup for Quins
JO'G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:10
bit of a comedown for Loz

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:17
The opposition. Looks like a good Quins side too so could be a good game.

15 Ross Chisholm (94)
14 Charlie Walker (92)
13 Aaron Morris (29)
12 Ben Tapuai (11)
11 Gabriel Ibitoye (14)
10 James Lang (38)
9 Charlie Mulchrone (34)

1 Mark Lambert (238)
2 Elia Elia (27)
3 Josh Ibuanokpe (5)
4 Dino Lamb (15)
5 James Horwill (Co-captain, 57)
6 Chris Robshaw (Co-captain, 262)
7 Luke Wallace (168)
8 Renaldo Bothma (20)

Game Changers
16 Dave Ward (159)
17 Nick Auterac (5)
18 Phil Swainston (18)
19 Stan South (26)
20 Archie White (26)
21 Dave Lewis (23)
22 Demetri Catrakilis (10)
23 Paul Lasike (9)

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:33
Shame this isn't on TV as it has the makings of being a good game.

Quins slight favourites in my mind with the experience of Robshaw, Horwill & Wallace.

Good to see a couple of our alumni in the Quins squad; Morris at 13 is interesting.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:50
Morris is at 12 with Loz at 13 right? Do we know a captain, I think Whitley has captained so far but will one of the more experienced guys take it this weekend?

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:57
Whiteley captain according to twitter. Griffiths on the bench promising for his continued return.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:04
I'd have Quins as clear favourites with those two teams. I think we've got the stronger bench though. Agree it has the makings of a good game.

Pleased and possibly a bit surprised to see Tom Griffith's in the 23. Wasn't sure what the situation would be after his move to London Scottish. Shame he's not starting really so we could rest Loz.

Note that Whitely is starting ahead of Taylor again but the pecking order seems to be established now.

No idea about the state of the pools in this competition. Do we need to win this and with a TBP etc to progress?

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:13
Quote:
GazzaFez
No idea about the state of the pools in this competition. Do we need to win this and with a TBP etc to progress?

Please see this week's preview!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:26
Quote:
Darraghgirl
Quote:
GazzaFez

Please see this week's preview!

grinning smiley

Thanks for that DG. My thoughts are that the odds are stacked against us to progress. Especially when you factor in the situation with Wuss/Wasps. Wuss will surely put out a near full strength team and playing at home will see us done. Our only real hope is a TBP win away at Quins which I don't think is remotely on the cards. Would love to fall flat on my face on that one!

Quote:
Darraghgirl
I have no doubt that anyone close to the first team will not be risked given our loss of players to the Internationals and our need to keep 23 fit players for the forthcoming games that matter

I would have said exactly the same before today too. However Quins have done the same with some big names in their squad.

JO'G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:46
i was a bit shocked that rickshaw isn't in the England training squad

Garp285 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:15
[quote Darraghgirl]I have no doubt that anyone close to the first team will not be risked given our loss of players to the Internationals and our need to keep 23 fit players for the forthcoming games that matter[/quote]

I would have said exactly the same before today too. However Quins have done the same with some big names in their squad.[/quote]
But we have two full weekends off before we play Tiggs on 19 Feb (Not sure if the second one of them is the semi or not) so plenty of rest before then!

VyvyansNo1Fan (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:37
Joke selection...I assume Loz will be looking for pastures new in the summer?

Roger G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:58
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan

Don't be ridiculous - he's not the only first team regular in the squad. These teams always have a few experienced players in them, and I'm sure the players know how much they are valued by the club, so there's no reason for any of them to be miffed at all

JO'G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 16:02
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan

I've been wondering if Loz has been having a crisis of confidence since his last England appearance. Lots of pundits still think Loz should be given the nudge over Slade, wheras we can see he hasn't played well since the Exeter game

The talk of Daly joining, together with tompkins playing so well can't have helped

hopefully he can play in this to get a bit of a run going

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 18:20
Lozo a few caps into familiarising himself with the 13 shirt (and having been somewhat exposed in defence against Wasps in the Semi-Final) outplayed Slade significantly in the Final, running round and through him in addition to stopping him on the gainline when he tried to attack down the centre channels. It was a magnificent performance and for me should have been rewarded with a run at 13. This season he has been shuffled around (in a not dis-similar way to Daly maybe?) and has found it harder to make the same impression.

As a utility player I am surprised he isn't of interest to England but maybe a good run of form would change that? I wish him all the best. He's a very good player and his combination of speed with a bit of physicality and a good read on the game should make him an excellent option for Saracens for years to come.

AP (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 22:00
I'd rather Jackson Wray was given a rest than on the bench.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 11:40
I think we will be well beaten. However, I wouldn't shed any tears. We are facing the abomination of ranking Premiership matches being played during an international window. We need as many of our squad as possible to be fit.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 12:03
At the risk of veering off topic, if I were the CEO of Gallagher (unlikely, I know!), I would, from next season reduce my sponsorship. Take the contracted amount, divide it by the 135 matches, and multiply it by the number of games that don't clash with internationals. If there are four rounds that are compromised, I would only pay 111/135 of the contracted amount.

Rant over!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 15:38
Score so far is Quins 7 - 8 Saracens

A straight red card for Renaldo Bothma after he looked to lead with his forearm as Dom Morris came to tackle him.

Interesting given the other thread re. causes of concussion associated with tackles!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:07
Quins score. Conversion missed.

12-8

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:10
Penalty kicked by Loz

12-11

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:15
Charge-down by Kpoku who gathers himself and scores.

Loz converts.

12-18

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:18
Skelton on for Dom Day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2019 16:20 by GazzaFez.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:21
Gray on for Woolstencroft
Griffiths on for Morris

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:41
Break by Ralph Adams-Hale. Malins scores.

12-25

colinmiddx (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:51
Four Tries, into the semis for the younger guys.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:53
Segun gets the the TBP!!!!!!

FT 12-32

Semi-final guaranteed!

Static (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:53
Great win. Young guys seemed to be outstanding all the way through.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:54
Quote:
GazzaFez
Our only real hope is a TBP win away at Quins which I don't think is remotely on the cards. Would love to fall flat on my face on that one!

This is going to hurt grinning smiley

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 16:59
Have a beer to soothe your battered mush (Sm128)

Great result for the team. As always impressions from anyone at the game as to how players went gratefully received.

london pride (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 17:10
Kpoku's try, the second Sarries try, was according to the radio commentary, a very good try.Looking forward to seeing it on TV.An unexpected and impressive bonus point win.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 17:33
Saints and Chiefs top their groups on 15 each. Even though we have 16 points we may only qualify (even though now guaranteed) as the best runner-up on 16. This will happen if Wuss get a TBP against Wasps next week - which is obviously not a certainty. If they lose but get a TBP and/or a LBP they could still qualify as best runner-up. That depends on the result of the Newcastle/Sale game next week though.

We could play Wuss in the semis either at home as top seeds or away as best runner-up!

Rules....

In the semi-finals stage, the team seeded 1 will play the team seeded 4 (this will always be the team that qualified as the highest ranked pool runner up) at the home ground of the former. The team seeded 2 will play the team seeded 3 at the home ground of the former. The winners of each of these fixtures will progress to the final. The final will be held at the home ground of the finalist team which finished with the highest seeding in the pool stages.
Read more at [www.premiershiprugby.com]

AB (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 17:43
Where can we see the highlights?

vunipolae (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 18:14
If we end up as number 1 seeds are we able to host a semi and potentially a final at Allianz? Aren't we up to the limit with a euro quarter and wanting to save a game for a potential prem semi?

saracen1971 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 19:18
The semi finals of the Cup will take place on the 8th/9th February but Saracens must wait until next weekend, and the result of Worcester vs Wasps, to find out if they will have home advantage.

Should Saracens top the pool and host a semi final at Allianz Park, tickets will be available from Monday 4th February and will be priced at 25 for adults and 15 for juniors. Season ticket holders will enjoy discounted prices with tickets available for 20 for adults and 10 for juniors.

Seating will be unallocated and issued on a first come first served basis. Further details will be communicated should the fixture be confirmed as being held at Allianz Park

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 20:59
Good to see Segun, Griffiths, Vunipola and Walker make their first Senior appearance of the season - we've now used 55 players (excludes those who have only played in the A League).

Does anyone have an update on Scott Spurling? He is the only member of the Senior squad yet to be included in the above, other than the unfortunate Duncan Taylor and the now retired (for a couple of years at least) Joel Conlon (who I thought was an excellent pundit for our last A League game).

The Premiership site contradicts itself re seeding, effectively ruling that we will be one of the top 2 seeds:

"The criteria for seeding the four semi-finalists shall be as follows:
1. Greatest league points;
2. Most wins;
3. Greatest points difference;
4. Greatest points for;
5. Most tries;
6. Disciplinary record (red cards);
7. Determined by draw"

before stating:

"In the semi-finals stage, the team seeded 1 will play the team seeded 4 (this will always be the team that qualified as the highest ranked pool runner up) at the home ground of the former."

The latter is likely to be the more definitive!

Osmium (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 07:43
It was probably drafted in a hurry by someone without your legal brain Sarasman.

I think what it should say is:

"The highest placed runner up of the three pools will be seeded fourth in the semi finals.
"The criteria for seeding the three pool winning semi-finalists shall be as follows: "
etc.

AP (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 10:21
Those provisions determine also which of the pool runners up is the highest placed, so perhaps it should be:

"The highest placed runner up of the three pools will be seeded fourth in the semi finals.

The criteria for determining which of the pool runners up is the highest placed and for seeding the three pool winning semi-finalists shall be as follows: " etc.

Anyway, either we will be the top seed with home advantage and quite possibly playing Worcester again or we will be fourth seed playing Worcester again away. What is it about teams called Warriors?

Perhaps the criteria should also include that the fourth seed should not play the team that was in the same group as it.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 11:45
If we do end up with the home semi-final, selling tickets for only 5 days will be a tough ask. At least they are cheap, especially for STHs and I think the unallocated seating ruse will help to push a few more sales. I hadn't planned on going as I assumed a) we wouldn't be in it and b) it wouldn't be at home but if we do get the home semi I might well go. The final we won when Maro was captain was a very enjoyable afternoon out, not counting chickens of course!

maynas (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:50
Must have missed something obvious but why are others playing next week and we seem to have a rest?

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:55
Quote:
maynas
Must have missed something obvious but why are others playing next week and we seem to have a rest?

The 'Derby day' round was split over two weekends. We got lucky and drew the first weekend so there is no rugby for Saracens at all next weekend. The other teams are playing next weekend which is why we don't find out if we are home or away for the semi-final until those matches are complete.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:58
Brief (2 minute) highlights are now up on Youtube.

The red card incident, although lacking in malice and seemingly rather instinctive was nevertheless clear-cut according to the rules - as the video shows.

Loved the final try by Rotimi Segun!

<< Highlights >>

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 18:57
Agree re the Segun try. Griffiths to Lozo to Vunipola to Segun, very smooth.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 20:46
It was very slick wasn't it. Quite possibly the slickest bit of handling we've seen all season, although I was very impressed with the offload from Skelton to Itoje when Maro scored last week.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 18:20
Quote:
maynas

It's a @#$%&' muddle as far as I am concerned. Any meaningful competition would have the group stages concluding simultaneously. This is a crock of sh!te.

The lack of selling time for the tickets is a shambles. Incompetence of the finest, gin-soaked blazer variety!

The Bard (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 21:03
They had a golden chance to make it simple. There are 12 teams and 6 weekends to fill. Have two groups of 6, play each other once and the two group winners play in the final.

Garym (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 07:57
Quote:
The Bard
They had a golden chance to make it simple. There are 12 teams and 6 weekends to fill. Have two groups of 6, play each other once and the two group winners play in the final.

Way too simple and sensible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2019 07:57 by Garym.

JO'G (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 12:25
Quote:
The Bard

potential to have 6v5, 4v3 and 2v1 in a triple header to bolster crowd numbers and fill a stadium easily accessible to all (say coventry)

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 20:40
Indeed, so everyone gets a game each week which is mostly the point of the tournament!

Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 09:02
Quote:
The Bard

Or even 4 groups of 3 : 2 home and 2 away matches, 4 group winners go through to semi finals and then the final.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net