rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next:
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Now this is interesting.....
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:13
[www.bbc.co.uk]

The trial changing the max permitted tackle height has been suspended due to an INCREASE in the number of concussions sustained! At least it shows it was a genuine trial and not a foregone conclusion.

Re: Now this is interesting.....
myleftboot (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:45
Blimey, I always understood a lot was down to a whiplash effect, rattling the brain around the skull, and lowering the height I guess would create a bigger "lever". Surprised the came thru so fast, must be very grim reading

Garp285 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:32
Reading the article, it states that it has been stopped due to an increase in concussions caused "when a bent-at-the-waist tackler was attempting to tackle a bent-at-the-waist ball carrier following a short pass from the scrum half". It goes on to state that the number of concussions from upright tackles did fall markedly. Does this mean then that ball carriers were more likely to go into the tackle bent over/head down? If so, could this be a deliberate attempt to prevent any tackle or is it just coincidence? But then it states they were from short passes from the SH! I don't doubt the results, I just find the increase in concussions strange. Surely the SHs aren't throwing more low passes? Or is it that the tackler would previously have been more upright, effectively tackling the ball carrier with their belly??

Roger G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:55
Quote:
Garp285
Surely the SHs aren't throwing more low passes? Or is it that the tackler would previously have been more upright, effectively tackling the ball carrier with their belly??

Could it be short passes to forward pods who are already ducking to take contact where tacklers were almost certain previously to be more upright. If tacklers are forced to get lower then I can see how more head on head collisions might happen.

JO'G (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:56
I'm pretty sure I've noticed an increase in bent over players with the ball in an attempt to get a high tackle out of the referee. Especially if a player tries to carry out a seat belt tackle, most of the time its the ball carrier dropping their body to get the tackler above the shoulders. most of the time you see a concious effort on the seat-belt type tackle for the tackler to let their arms go soft and slack once the initial contact is made.

I'm not surprised this is the result; if you give the opportunity for a certain penalty, the tackled player will try and ensure its awarded

If the player will the ball deliberately drops down to get the penalty; in my opinion it should go the other way

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 09:38
You do see a lot of players, especially forward these days who take the contact in a leaning forward stance but I think it's more to do with protecting and recycling the ball quickly than trying to milk a penalty. Perhaps it is this that leads to the increase in concussions. It's good though that they've acted quickly and halted the trial as soon as it became evident there was a problem. In fact I don't ever recall a situation before where a law has been changed mid-season whether a trial or a permanent change.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 13:35
There is no mention of an increased number of tackles where the ball-carrier is bent at the waste. Given the measured nature of the report, I imagine that this would have been mentioned were it to be occurring.

I don't wish to sound like a know-it-all, but, as soon as I heard of this new law, I immediately exclaimed that we'd see more injuries to tacklers.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net