rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE DOUBLE
PREMIERSHIP & EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 34:37 SARACENS
Next:
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Jonathan Kpoku to Agen?
nicsue (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 23:27
According to the Rugby Paper last Sunday Jonathan Kpoku is out of contract at the end of the season and has been offered a move to Agen in France.

Re: Jonathan Kpoku to Agen?
Graeme D (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 08:04
Jonathan speaks fluent French, but I wouldn't believe everything you read in the press.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 10:52
You have to wonder where his first team opportunities will come from at Sarries, if ever. There are an awful lot of 2nd rows about and they're not really going anywhere apart from DD? His brother certainly seems ahead in the pecking order.

Graeme D (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 12:36
Maro, George, Will , Joel, Jonathan.
2/3 second rows needed each match . George and Maro away with England doesn't leave much. Whilst J&J are twins Jonathan had a year out and one year behind on his development.
Back playing full time for Ampthill and had one first team appearance off the bench earlier in the season.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 13:04
Don't forget Nick I as well. I appreciate the numbers but the pot only has so much in it, as good as he is if he gets an offer elsewhere I can see him taking it. It's going to take an awful lot for him to become one of the first choices and he's at an age where that is what he wants indeed probably even expects it, eventually!

Graeme D (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 13:15
Quote:
Jim 55
Don't forget Nick I as well. I appreciate the numbers but the pot only has so much in it, as good as he is if he gets an offer elsewhere I can see him taking it. It's going to take an awful lot for him to become one of the first choices and he's at an age where that is what he wants indeed probably even expects it, eventually!
Agree Nick is also in the mix but like Mike Rhodes I see him more as a six nowadays.

Yes the pot is only so big but players want to stay at Saracens for other reasons not just the money.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 13:53
Quote:
Graeme D
Quote:
Jim 55
Agree Nick is also in the mix but like Mike Rhodes I see him more as a six nowadays.

Yes the pot is only so big but players want to stay at Saracens for other reasons not just the money.

Definitely not arguing with that. Hopefully he will stay he's another great prospect.

JO'G (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 15:14
i think its fairly common knowledge that Sarries offer less than other clubs for contracts because 1. you are in the England window more often for 25k 2. more likely to win things 3. better club experiences 4. better post career careers

so you have to balance what the club offers you in s against those 4 advantages, because they may not apply to you. in which case take the higher money someone else is offering

we may see more of this, especially from fringe players

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 15:14
There's a paucity of quality locks in the Premiership so if for any reason he did leave I'd hope he could find a home in one of the GP clubs. Ofc hope he doesn't go anywhere but right now I guess he's on the periphery a bit?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 16:14
Agen? I hope it's only a Heads of Agreement. Agen face a relegation play-off as things stand. Furthermore, the non-french- qualified maximum is being reduced for next season.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 18:44
We have a number of players that MMcC is obviously happy to play at '5 & 1/2' and we see it all the time, especially when someone is subbed; Itoje, Isiekwe and Rhodes being the obvious example. It has stood us very well in the past and I can't see it changing any time soon.

But when you look at the total number of players that can slot into the second row it does seem a bit of a crowded space at the moment.

The Bard (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 20:38
Agen would seem an odd destination. Do they think they are signing Joel?

daz_71 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 13:08
When you hear a few of the stories that are often mentioned, most recently by Big Jim, Andy Goode, Tom Varndell and others, about playing in France you have to wonder if it is worth it. You hear time and time again that the coaching is poor, the medical and physio cover is not as good as in the UK and training is often tougher. Add that to the longer league season is the money really worth it? I suppose to answer my own question it depends what offers are on the table.

I'd hope he'd find a home at another Prem side.

Graeme D (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 14:47
Both Joel and Jonathan may well qualify for France because of family but Joel has played for England u20s.
As said higher up think there is a bit of journalistic speculation goung on.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 16:20
Quote:
Graeme D
Both Joel and Jonathan may well qualify for France because of family but Joel has played for England u20s.
As said higher up think there is a bit of journalistic speculation goung on.

Following the apparent demise of the Saxons, does the U20s now qualify as 'the second most senior national team' which would tie Joel to England?

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

01 February, 2019 16:27
A podcast a few month's ago (think the BBC one) said the 'tying team' is still the Saxons, despite it now being a few years since their last game.

EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 11:58
Quote:
Superman wears Schalk Brits pyjamas
A podcast a few month's ago (think the BBC one) said the 'tying team' is still the Saxons, despite it now being a few years since their last game.

[pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com]

Yes still The Saxons

04 February, 2019 13:04
I thought Jon was going to start training as a junior school teacher, and that Sarries are happy to support him doing this.

He can of course train in France. Agen is a lovely part of the world, French teachers probably are treated better than teachers in England, but if he's already lined-up a place at a college somewhere .... ?

I hope he stays - a really nice chap.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 15:12
Quote:
EnfieldMal
Quote:
Superman wears Schalk Brits pyjamas

[pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com]

Yes still The Saxons

That's ridiculous. Another pile of ordure for Melville N to clear up.

There needs to be a better pathway for England U20 players to get Premiership experience, backed by the RFU, with the payback that the kids are tied to England.

If I were English, I would be spitting tacks; if I were a talent scout for the WRU, I would be offering Junior dual contracts to promising members of the England U20 squad who are eligible for Wales!

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:15
How about a discounted salary cap inclusion if a player has played for England U20s? So if a player comes through England U20s a prem team the signs them only has to include, say, 50% towards the salary cap. Just a thunk

NOM (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:44
The salary cap credit was a sensible idea in conception but has caused a pile of unintended consequences. Clubs are running rings round the system and the developing Player Pathway (which the RFU pay the academies to deliver) has closed off opportunities for all but the very talented early developers.

If the system was working the U20 result against Ireland should have been different - especially given the Prem experience that squad had already.

myleftboot (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:53
Quote:
Sarriebone
How about a discounted salary cap inclusion if a player has played for England U20s? So if a player comes through England U20s a prem team the signs them only has to include, say, 50% towards the salary cap. Just a thunk
methinks any bright ideas with Sarries name on will be quietly binned. It would probably be enough to finish off a certain type of tainted fan

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 20:01
Shhh he might be lurking ...(Sm159)

JO'G (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 13:51
if the RFU was sensible and long-term planning it would get all of the England U20 players on 5 year contracts and then sub-contract them to the club of the players choice (at a fee)

part of that contract would be the non-ability to play for another country - with prohibitive exclusion clauses

after 10 years, they would have all the England squad on central contracts

nicsue (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 17:15
RFU and sensible in the same sentence...............

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 20:09
Quote:
nicsue
RFU and sensible in the same sentence...............

(Sm22)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net